PDA

View Full Version : [d20r, Investing Feats] Mobility Feats

Fax Celestis
2010-08-25, 09:33 PM
Evasive Dodge [Investing]
Prerequisites: Dexterity 13, Dodge

Benefit: You may substitute a 5' step for an attack of opportunity. This action still consumes your attack of opportunity for the round (or one of them if you have a feat that grants you multiple attacks of opportunity in a round like Combat Reflexes).

Investing: For every ten points invested in this feat, increase the range of your 5' step by 5', so that if you have 10 points invested in this feat and you utilize its ability, you may immediately move 10' as if you had used two 5' steps in rapid succession.

Normal: You may only make a single melee attack as an attack of opportunity.

Lightning Dodge [Investing]
Prerequisites: Dexterity 13, Dodge, Lightning Reflexes

Benefit: If you are attacked by the target of your dodge feat in melee and still may make an attack of opportunity this round, you may forgo your attack of opportunity this round (or one of them for this round if you have the Combat Reflexes feat) and make a 5' step.

Investiture: If you have at least 8 points of prowess invested in this feat, you may instead teleport to the other side of your attacker, directly into a position that would have provided flanking for your original space. When you do this, your body becomes like a living spark and you pass through your target, dealing 1d6 points of electricity damage per four points of prowess invested in this feat. A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 the prowess invested in this feat + your Constitution modifier) negates this damage. Using this feat in this fashion is a supernatural ability.

Special: You may only use this feat once per round, even if you have a feat like Combat Reflexes that grants you the ability to take multiple attacks of opportunity in a round.

Sidestep [Investing]
Prerequisites: Dexterity 13

Benefit: Once per round, when you succeed on an attack against an opponent, you may immediately take a 5' step even if you have already used your 5' step for this round, have already moved in this round, or it is not currently your turn.

Investing: For each six points invested in this feat, you may use it one additional time per round.

Normal: You may only 5' step once per round, and only on your turn.

lesser_minion
2010-08-26, 01:42 PM
All of these seem OK -- they're balanced against each other, and I can't see any of them doing any harm on the surface.

The one issue I can see is the idea of turning into a spark of electricity as an extraordinary ability. I think that might upset people a bit.

Fax Celestis
2010-08-26, 01:44 PM
Good point. Let me classify that use of the feat as supernatural.

Thinker
2010-08-26, 02:40 PM
Good point. Let me classify that use of the feat as supernatural.

While changing it is cool and I wholeheartedly agree with high level mundane characters becoming somewhat supernatural or magical, I don't know if players who want to play non-magical characters will be enthused. I've seen the argument plenty of times that fighters shouldn't be required to have magic items at high level to participate. Could you do something different where the character passes through the opponent's square, making an attack that deals X damage (with more with more prowess points)? Then you could allow additional investment or a generic feat to allow elemental options.

Esser-Z
2010-09-01, 08:29 AM
Hm. Evasive Dodge is a little weird. It's got good mechanics, but the thing it does doesn't really fit the name. 'Evasive Dodge' sounds like something you do when you get attacked, not when you get the chance TO attack.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-01, 09:27 AM
Hm. Evasive Dodge is a little weird. It's got good mechanics, but the thing it does doesn't really fit the name. 'Evasive Dodge' sounds like something you do when you get attacked, not when you get the chance TO attack.

That would be what it does. If you can AoO, you can instead 5' step.

Esser-Z
2010-09-01, 09:40 AM
Right. If you can attack, you instead step. You're not avoiding anything, which is what 'dodge' tends to suggest. Not really a complaint, just an unimportant thought. :smalltongue:

Lightning Dodge is cool, though made slightly less so by needing lightning reflexes (as a dodge-focusing character likely already has excellent reflex).

Fax Celestis
2010-09-01, 01:47 PM
Right. If you can attack, you instead step. You're not avoiding anything, which is what 'dodge' tends to suggest. Not really a complaint, just an unimportant thought. :smalltongue:

If you step out of range of an attack, you're dodging, I'd say.

Thinker
2010-09-01, 02:23 PM
It occurs to me that none of these feats actually look anything like the 3.5 feat Mobility.

lesser_minion
2010-09-01, 02:35 PM
It occurs to me that none of these feats actually look anything like the 3.5 feat Mobility.

3.5 Mobility was basically "you get a +4 to AC against attacks that will almost never actually take place", so it's not really a good model for d20r feats.

Thinker
2010-09-01, 03:52 PM
3.5 Mobility was basically "you get a +4 to AC against attacks that will almost never actually take place", so it's not really a good model for d20r feats.

I didn't say it was a bad thing, though the spirit of the feat might warrant being recaptured. In 3.5 the intent was to provide a mechanism for wading through combat. Sidestep sort of does this, though it is more similar to slight adjustments during combat, rather than actual maneuvering.

Maybe something that allows the person who takes it to ignore one AoO when provoked via movement per turn and with each 6 points invested it allows an additional attack at the character's highest attack bonus if he moves at least 10 feet (or allows to take iterative attacks or something).