PDA

View Full Version : [3.5, mainly] What 3rd Party Material Do You Use?

Coidzor
2010-08-25, 09:49 PM
I know almost everyone goes on about the sacrosancticitity of First Party Material, especially viz-a-viz the Dungeons and the Dragons.

But then, in almost the same breath, you'll have people mention how these two third party books were the only decent psionics supplement through the entire run of DND3.X.

So, I was wondering, what third party sources do peoples actually view as good enough to use?

What about Homebrew? We have a fairly active homebrewing subculture here on GITP and various other places online, especially for 3.5. Have any particular individuals managed to earn your respect enough that you'll consider using their stuff over other potential sources? Any individual pieces or bodies of homebrew that you've had good enough experiences with that you not only used it but would use it again?

Jalor
2010-08-25, 09:53 PM
I've used homebrew from some of the more notable GitP members, as well as from the Tome of Necromancy, Tome of Fiends, and Races of War on D&Dwiki. That's about it for me; I really haven't seen any 3rd party material balanced enough and interesting enough to use.

bartman
2010-08-25, 10:08 PM
Alderac Entertainment has some good books, one notably called Feats that our group has used in the past.

We have also gone searching for bizarre races. In our current campaign, one of us is a particular race that has no eyes, and blindsight. no number, just blindsight. Auto pass any spot checks, so long as it is not written word (no texture)

Noneoyabizzness
2010-08-25, 10:27 PM
yeah, alderac gave us toolbox which is a fun way to make interesting gear stand out when some players dont change the personality enough. nonetheless cool stuff

necromancer games gets a shot from me mostly for rappan attuk. its worth a run.

bartman
2010-08-25, 10:48 PM

Whats that?

Coidzor
2010-08-25, 11:08 PM

That a module or adventure path/campaign?

Eldariel
2010-08-25, 11:10 PM
Right now, I mostly use Untapped Potential, ToB Homebrew (classes and schools mostly) and own homebrew variant rules for the game at large. So...not much out of 3rd party books aside from Untapped Potential.

Marnath
2010-08-25, 11:11 PM
I like Mr. Burlew's armor specialization feat tree. Hooray for no acp fullplate!

Zaydos
2010-08-25, 11:17 PM
I'll use homebrew I find on these forums, and I've dabbled with other sources. For example the Encyclopedia Arcane series, although I quickly decided 90% of it wasn't balanced and left it at a "ask, it might be allowed but don't put bet your character on it" which is to say exactly my stance on Forgotten Realms books. I have some of the Swords and Sorcery Scarred Lands books, and will recognize that they got better as they went along (their early CRs were terrible), but haven't really used them. I sometimes use Dragon Magazine (not really sure where that lands) and trust it more than FR or Encyclopedia Arcane.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-25, 11:56 PM
None. Just WotC products and their "100% Official D&D" 2nd party supplier Paizo for Dragon and Dungeon.

Morithias
2010-08-26, 12:42 AM
Ironically we probably use the Book of Erotic Fantasy the most often for 3rd party material, but we also commonly dip into things like the Book of Templates, and the Slayer's Guide, when we need something a little more specialized.

Rappy
2010-08-26, 12:47 AM
The Book of Templates and its legacy, the Green Ronin "Advanced" series, the Tome of Horrors series, and the products of MonkeyGod enterprises such as Frost and Fur, amongst other things.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-08-26, 12:49 AM
I'll second Rappan Athuk Reloaded as a great 3rd party resource. It just doesn't get much better than 390 pages of old-school dungeon crawl.

Noneoyabizzness
2010-08-26, 08:21 AM
Whats that?

was a three part dungeon that had a feel that was part diablo part undermountain back when people still remembered undermountain as a series of boxes and modules. was rereleased when 3.5 as reloaded with updated statsand as one single book. again worth a run, remind people a dungeon and its treasure doesnt always need to make sense