PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e dragons and shapechanging

Marnath
2010-08-25, 10:32 PM
Just a quick question, what would be the affect of giving all true dragons the ability to take a humanoid form, like certain metallic ones can right now? I ask because it makes it more sensible that the ones without could produce half-dragons. On that note, would giving water breathing to half-dragons of breeds that the pureblood can breathe water be OP?

Mando Knight
2010-08-25, 10:54 PM
Half-Dragon is weak anyway (it's an LA +3 template, ergo weak), so giving them the dragons' flavor of Water Breathing wouldn't necessarily be overpowered. (Most campaigns would make it so it's not a problem anyway)

The humanoid form power is mostly flavor, except for those that use it to squeeze into medium or small-sized holes without spending a spell slot. It wouldn't be gamebreaking to introduce the ability to all true dragons, though it would make sense if you limited it to Medium or larger dragons (possibly dipping as small as Small, but Tiny is right out).

Marnath
2010-08-25, 10:55 PM
Why would I limit it to medium or large dragons? That makes no sense, since the ones that have it already by RAW never lose it even if they become colossal.

Rainbownaga
2010-08-26, 01:33 AM
Why would I limit it to medium or large dragons? That makes no sense, since the ones that have it already by RAW never lose it even if they become colossal.

-Small or tiny dragons would likely find their human form more of a 'combat form' than their natural form.

-Infant dragons turning into adult humans are weird- Personally I'd make it so that the youngest dragons turn into immature humans.

Marnath
2010-08-26, 02:30 AM
I don't think the ability shows up until adulthood, anyway. My question was more why not larger than those sizes.

hamishspence
2010-08-26, 02:48 AM
I think there's a feat in Dragons of Eberron that allows all true dragons to take human form.

Dragons of Faerun has a bonus feature for shadow dragons that allows them to take drow form. And stats for steel dragons- which can take humanoid form.

Monsters of Faerun has Song dragons and Deep Dragons- which can take humanoid form.

So- there's other dragons besides metallics that can- and an option to give any dragon a humanoid form.

Marnath
2010-08-26, 01:39 PM
I think there's a feat in Dragons of Eberron that allows all true dragons to take human form.

Dragons of Faerun has a bonus feature for shadow dragons that allows them to take drow form. And stats for steel dragons- which can take humanoid form.

Monsters of Faerun has Song dragons and Deep Dragons- which can take humanoid form.

So- there's other dragons besides metallics that can- and an option to give any dragon a humanoid form.

Cool. I don't have dragons of eberron, but I don't need to know what the actual wording of the feat is, i can just wing it. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Esser-Z
2010-08-26, 01:44 PM
I don't think the ability shows up until adulthood, anyway. My question was more why not larger than those sizes.

Uh. He "Medium or larger" not "Medium or Large". Medium and every size above it get the ability.

hamishspence
2010-08-26, 01:48 PM
Cool. I don't have dragons of eberron, but I don't need to know what the actual wording of the feat is, i can just wing it. Thanks. :smallsmile:

The Feat's called Alternate Form- the prerequisites are True Dragon and 5th level sorcerer casting- and the effect is basically the same as what Bronze, Silver and Gold dragons get.

That pretty much summarizes it.

Marnath
2010-08-26, 01:51 PM
The Feat's called Alternate Form- the prerequisites are True Dragon and 5th level sorcerer casting- and the effect is basically the same as what Bronze, Silver and Gold dragons get.

That pretty much summarizes it.

Thanks. :smallsmile: