PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Where to go now with my gestalt gish?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-25, 10:41 PM
I am playing in a semi high powered gestalt game, we are right now at ECL 6 and I am playing a draconic Daelkyr Halfblood Wildshape Ranger 5/La +1//Sorcerer 5/ Abjurant champion 1

My feats areImproved Natural attack (claw), obtain familiar combat casting

I am using the symbiont psychic sinew as my main weapon and due a homebrewed spell I am dealling about 3d8+ str per hit, and I am usually buffred with haste, so my usuall attack routing is something like +9/+9/+9 (or +12/+12/+12 if I am fighting arcanaist due my +1 Magebane NoNA )

Now as of last session I am at aproximatly 1000 xp to level up so I am asking what do you think will be a good prestige class to hop into (note: I am allowed to double prestige class)

I was thinking on hopping for one level to impure prince (Magic of Eberron) on the ranger side, to add some spells to mmy sorc side OTH Master of the many forms looks quite interesting and I also can hop onto it next leve3l (by either convinving my DM that having my Familiar granting alertness is enough, retraining one feat or taking it as my 6th level feat)

On the sorc side, I will continue with Abjurant champion, but after that I don't know.... swiftblade might be interesting as I can "patch" the lost spellcasting levels but that will hit in my wildshape, I also looked into Knight Phantom and Eldritch knight but I am not sure.... so what do you think about this?

DownwardSpiral
2010-08-25, 10:50 PM
Well, the most common question you'll get from this is: What do you want your character to do?

It sort of sounds like you want to be melee, with a little spellcasting on the side. If that's what you want, then I agree with the swiftblade idea. But then again I love the swiftblade, so I'm a little biased.

But other then that, maybe dip into some ToB classes?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-25, 10:54 PM
Right now I am acting as the archetipical (IMO) Gish, a fighter than buff himself to battor and back before entering the fray.

I am actually a bit leery of ToB because my group is not used to that kind of power in melee characaters (this campaing is a success of mine into convincing them to try a higher power level); but maybe I'll take a dip or two.. probably for Iron Heart Surge and the moongoose manoubers....

Greenish
2010-08-25, 10:58 PM
I am actually a bit leery of ToB because my group is not used to that kind of power in melee characatersThat'll discount the swiftblade, I should think. Extra standard actions are hugely powerful, and you got full casting to go with them… Knight Phantom is cool even if it eats a precious spellslot.

How about some warshaper on the ranger side?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-25, 11:02 PM
Thanks greenish, I had forgot about Warshaper..

What do you think of enough MotMF to get Wartrollmonstrous humanoid forms and then hop into Warshaper? too powerful?

Greenish
2010-08-25, 11:04 PM
What do you think of enough MotMF to get Wartrollmonstrous humanoid forms and then hop into Warshaper? too powerful?Hard to say without knowing your group's optimization level, but probably yeah.

DownwardSpiral
2010-08-25, 11:14 PM
Thanks greenish, I had forgot about Warshaper..

What do you think of enough MotMF to get Wartrollmonstrous humanoid forms and then hop into Warshaper? too powerful?

Most likely. I don't want to open up a can of worms with this, but if they think ToB is up there with power, using wild shape shenanigans is probably going to rub them a bit wrong also.

Wings of Peace
2010-08-25, 11:53 PM
You'll want a level of Spelldancer at some point to gain easy persistent spells.

DownwardSpiral
2010-08-26, 12:16 AM
You'll want a level of Spelldancer at some point to gain easy persistent spells.

Eeehhhh. If the OP is trying to go easy on the power, "easy" and "persistant spells" shouldn't be a top priority. =p

WinWin
2010-08-26, 12:26 AM
Natures Warrior could have a couple of benefits for wildshaping without losing BAB.

Keld Denar
2010-08-26, 01:15 AM
As a Dalkyr Halfblood, your creature type is Aberration, right? That qualifies you for Rapid Strike (Claws) at BAB+10. Good investment of a 12th level feat. That would make your 9th level feat Arcane Strike, so you can get bonus damage to go with those meaty claw attacks. If you get MoMF2, you can speak normally while WSed, which is nice if you aren't taking Natural Spell at 6.

Also, Alertness from your familiar allows you to enter MoMF just fine. Just don't lose your familiar...

term1nally s1ck
2010-08-26, 07:12 AM
There's a PrC that progresses both divine and arcane casting alongside wildshape. Not sure if it works with ranger, but you could almost certainly get it allowed as homebrew, since ranger casting is strictly worse than druid.

Using that next to swiftblade at the right levels would fill in the gaps without losing any levels of anything.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-26, 06:01 PM
Hard to say without knowing your group's optimization level, but probably yeah.
Yeah.... I mean I am just two levels from polymorph anyway.....

Most likely. I don't want to open up a can of worms with this, but if they think ToB is up there with power, using wild shape shenanigans is probably going to rub them a bit wrong also.

Curiosly enough they seem used to changing shape sheneaningans thanks to the current DM character in a previous campaing

while persisting is smexy I need feats I don't have to qualify and to get persist, also doesn't fit the concept I have in mind.
Thanks anyway.

Natures Warrior could have a couple of benefits for wildshaping without losing BAB.
Don't remember the source, care to remind me please?

As a Dalkyr Halfblood, your creature type is Aberration, right? That qualifies you for Rapid Strike (Claws) at BAB+10. Good investment of a 12th level feat. That would make your 9th level feat Arcane Strike, so you can get bonus damage to go with those meaty claw attacks. If you get MoMF2, you can speak normally while WSed, which is nice if you aren't taking Natural Spell at 6.

Also, Alertness from your familiar allows you to enter MoMF just fine. Just don't lose your familiar...

Rapidstrike (and possible Improved Rapidstrike) are on my original plan, as for arcane strike.... I might take it but at a later time... I have another idea; and I don't think I'll go MotMF.

There's a PrC that progresses both divine and arcane casting alongside wildshape. Not sure if it works with ranger, but you could almost certainly get it allowed as homebrew, since ranger casting is strictly worse than druid.

Using that next to swiftblade at the right levels would fill in the gaps without losing any levels of anything.

The prestige class you are thinking is arcane hierophant but I won't take it because a) dual progression class are banned in gestalt by default b) my wisdom sucks, I went Ranger//sorc in the first place to get a great chassis for my character (Full BAB, decent skills, all good saves decent HD and sorc spellcasting) my wisdom doesn't let me cast spells...maybe I'll ask the DM if I can take the bonus feat variant as I won't be using ranger casting.

Now here my next idea for the character.

I can pay about 3K Xp to buy my La and instantly gain a level, I was thinking on taking a level in binder then continue with 4 levels of Warlock for eldritch blast, some nice invocations, and deceive item (whoo no more UMD checks!!!!), and finally enter Hellfirewarlock 3 to get more invocations (up to lesser invocations so I get all day flight!) and more importantly Hellfire blase (now the Binder dip make sense). All this while continuing with abjurant champion on the sorc side.

And to tie this, if I take eldritch claws feat I deal my eldritch blast in addition to my normal claw damage!!!!

so what do you think of the new plan?

Wildshape Ranger 5/Binder 1/Warlock 4/Hellfire Warlock 3/Something 7//Sorc 5/Abjurant Champion 5/ Generic gish prg class 10

WinWin
2010-08-27, 12:12 AM
Natures Warrior is a 5 level PrC from complete warrior. It's levels stack in terms of wild shape progression. It also gains minor spellcasting progression. Some of the wildshape improvements are better than others.