PDA

View Full Version : Stat up Batman (3.5)

Jallorn
2010-08-26, 12:25 AM
And I don't mean a Batman wizard, I actually mean Batman. How would you stat up Batman, at his prime. What level? What classes? What feats, skills, and spells would you give him? Would you even give him spells?

Morithias
2010-08-26, 12:26 AM
Not adding anything to the build, but sorry I have to put this here.

http://www.thealexandrian.net/creations/misc/d&d-calibrating.html

Jallorn
2010-08-26, 12:32 AM
I've read that before, it's awesome.

I actually think that Batman is high level though, because he can really take a beating when he has to.

Morithias
2010-08-26, 12:35 AM

I actually think that Batman is high level though, because he can really take a beating when he has to.

Personally I know a lot of people are going to hate me for saying this, but I'd probably say Monk, with a very high INT score and that "Able-learner" feat, so that everything is class skill.

That's basically batman isn't it? Hand to hand combat, with a few special "monk/bat" weapons, and a ton of helpful gadgets/magical items?

DownwardSpiral
2010-08-26, 12:37 AM

Ehhh...... Gandalf had a fight scene with the balrog that lasted what.....At least 5 minutes? And the popular build for him doesn't go above level 5.

Unless you meant that level 5 is high.

EDIT: Regardless, Pure factotum. Because batman is awesome, and so are factotums.

WinWin
2010-08-26, 12:37 AM
Batman is some kind of precognitive telepath. Everyone thinks that he is mundane...but no-one questions why he always has the right tools and the right plan for nearly every occasion. Seriously, how often does Batman get totally caught off guard?

I vote for Psychic Warrior with expanded knowledge

Morithias
2010-08-26, 12:38 AM
Ehhh...... Gandalf had a fight scene with the balrog that lasted what.....At least 5 minutes? And the popular build for him doesn't go above level 5.

Unless you meant that level 5 is high.

EDIT: Regardless, Pure factotum. Because batman is awesome, and so are factotums.

Plus Batman can take a beating, but how many modern day mook in gotham do you honestly think have monk levels? Even with improved unarmed strike it's only 1d3 damage.

With the exception of course being Bane...but...we all know what happened there.

Jallorn
2010-08-26, 12:45 AM
So how do you explain the many times he's gone up against metas and won, or at least held his own? Oh, and in JL, he survived a nuclear blast. Not from point blank range, but still. Hell, he beat Superman once... without krypton, and at a much older age.

Also, I think guns can do a fair amount of damage.

darkpuppy
2010-08-26, 12:47 AM
I'm definitely with Morithias here. Furthermore, to answer WinWin's point... INT of 18, and deduction skills through the fricking roof. He may not be high level, technically, but by damn, he's not got a stat below 14. On top of that, he has allegiances through his buttocks.

He's still human, but he's so psychotically obsessed with fighting crime that he considers a good 65% of eventualities well before they actually happen. And also remember that his adventures are only structured so he directly fights the BBEG (the main source of evil plans and difficult mental problems) at the beginning very rarely. Usually, there's at least a few mooks to interrogate, loads of clues for him to come up with his battleplan (of which he has about fifty squillion), and other things that give him the time to work out the perfect way to kick the BBEGs buttocks.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-08-26, 12:47 AM
Factotum//Artificer with bucketloads of cash and an Int score in the stratosphere.

dgnslyr
2010-08-26, 12:48 AM
Of course, that absolutely brilliant article becomes rather silly when you can reach level 3 by killing nothing but toads. Yeah, it's a loophole that is more of an exception than a rule. A great article nonetheless.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-26, 01:22 AM
So how do you explain the many times he's gone up against metas and won, or at least held his own? Oh, and in JL, he survived a nuclear blast. Not from point blank range, but still. Hell, he beat Superman once... without krypton, and at a much older age.

Apparently, Indiana Jones survives a nuclear blast as well. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0upNuDNRSk&feature=related)

BobVosh
2010-08-26, 01:36 AM
I favor factotum, simply because of the number of skills among tricks. Monk can't quite make up for it.

Although I have seen the gestalted Kung-fu Genius Monk//Factotum that seemed reasonable.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-26, 01:40 AM
You should let Kung-fu Genius apply to Ninjas too, just because of Batman.

Ninja Feat Brew Jutsu (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161863)

BladeofOblivion
2010-08-26, 01:42 AM
One level of monk gets pretty much everything Batman needs from that. Batman can take punches and most melée attacks, but he absolutely cannot take gunfire under normal circumstances. He makes use of stealth to deal with armed enemies, so I suggest Monk 1/rest Rogue or Factotum.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-26, 01:44 AM
What is Batman's alignment?

Jallorn
2010-08-26, 01:49 AM
Batman's Alignment (http://facepwn.com/posters/batman-alignment.jpg)

Morithias
2010-08-26, 01:54 AM

Screw the rules I have plot?

As for the alignment thing, it is stated in CS that batman is LG.

Saph
2010-08-26, 01:59 AM
Given the amount of things he seems able to do, he'd need to be gestalt, really high level, or both. Factotum with a ton of inspiration points is probably the best bet.

He also has maxed ranks in Knowledge (Everything) and the feat Craft Infallible Victory Plan.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-26, 02:07 AM
I would give him levels in something that granted Bardic Knowledge so he could take the Bardic Knack ACF from PH2.

DaragosKitsune
2010-08-26, 02:22 AM
He also has maxed ranks in Knowledge (Everything) and the feat Craft Infallible Victory Plan.

I'd actually say Knowledge (convenient loophole in continuity/physics/science in general) and the feat Craft Bat-Anti-Thing Spray Deus Ex Machina

Jallorn
2010-08-26, 02:24 AM
I'd actually say Knowledge (convenient loophole in continuity/physics/science in general) and the feat Craft Bat-Anti-Thing Spray Deus Ex Machina

To be fair, most of the better written Batman stories don't use Deus Ex Machinas too often. The science thing is just a virtue of comic books and stuff. It's not inherent to the character, but to the world.

DaragosKitsune
2010-08-26, 02:35 AM
Yet no one denies the "Bat-Anti-Thing Spray" comment.

BladeofOblivion
2010-08-26, 02:45 AM
If you saw the old movie: Bat Shark Repellent! It makes sharks EXPLODE. For no reason.

hamishspence
2010-08-26, 02:59 AM
Screw the rules I have plot?

As for the alignment thing, it is stated in CS that batman is LG.

Yup- to portray him as outright CE requires pics taken out of context- like kicking someone for eating ice cream- without mentioning that Batman believed at the time that the ice cream was poisoned.

Cespenar
2010-08-26, 03:28 AM

That's more like Reed Richards than Batman.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-26, 03:48 AM
and that "Able-learner" feat, so that everything is class skill.
Able Learner doesn't make any skills class skills. It makes the cost for cross-class skills only 1 point per rank, but doesn't increase the cross-class maximum.

JaronK
2010-08-26, 03:48 AM
I'd go with Unarmed Variant Swordsage 2/Factotum 12, with Knowledge Devotion and a crazy high Int. He can easily beat up mooks in melee, but mostly fights with stealth and his brain.

JaronK

Saintheart
2010-08-26, 07:22 AM
Whatever your build, don't forget to take a level of Mindbender in there and then Mindsight ... um, somehow. Because the Batcowl definitely lets him see everybody. :D

Kurald Galain
2010-08-26, 07:28 AM
No, one blog that Did Not Do The Research (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DidNotDoTheResearch) places him at level 5. The popular suggestions of him are anywhere between level 12 and 20. He's a Maia, after all.

Thinker
2010-08-26, 07:49 AM
Apparently, Indiana Jones survives a nuclear blast as well. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0upNuDNRSk&feature=related)

That's from some crappy fan project I take it?

Saph
2010-08-26, 07:53 AM
That's from some crappy fan project I take it?

Yep. Unfortunately, the director of the crappy fan project just happened to be Steven Spielberg, so it got made into canon. :smalltongue:

Telonius
2010-08-26, 07:53 AM
I don't think Batman himself is an Artificer. He definitely has the Leadership feat. Depending on which version you're talking about (is Robin involved? Is Alfred ex-MI6?) either Robin or Alfred is his cohort, with Lucius Fox (Artificer) as his highest-level Follower.

Reis Tahlen
2010-08-26, 07:55 AM
Errr... Why, in any Batman related post, no one talkl about the Avenger (not sure of the name) PrC on the Complete Adventurer? Seriously, it has "Batman" written all over him. Even the picture of the Halfling on the gargoyle is a giveaway.

Oslecamo
2010-08-26, 07:59 AM
Don't forget Batman fights side by side with superman against cosmic oponents. And is good at it.

You know Darkseid? The dude who can punch supes with enough strenght to make him bleed? Well batman has fought with him in melee. Solo. And lived to tell the tale.

So yes, pretty high HP even tough he's a normal "human".

Batman has also been known to deflect bullets with his sheer ki force.

Also he's quite optimal at spending his WBL. Supes gets some indestructible clothes and a shiny golden fortress that isn't that usefull. Batman has millions of little trinkets carefully chosen.

Dienekes
2010-08-26, 08:01 AM
I don't think Batman himself is an Artificer. He definitely has the Leadership feat. Depending on which version you're talking about (is Robin involved? Is Alfred ex-MI6?) either Robin or Alfred is his cohort, with Lucius Fox (Artificer) as his highest-level Follower.

Depends on the incarnation, some versions don't even have Lucius Fox (or rarely mention him) having Alfred and Bruce making all the equipment themselves.

Telonius
2010-08-26, 08:02 AM
The PrC is generally sub-par. Minor spellcasting, abilities that aren't that useful, and spells on par with Ranger or Paladin. But considering the typo they made on level 7, and the fact that Batman is a dirty, dirty cheater, he might just try to slip it past the DM.

Thinker
2010-08-26, 08:06 AM
Yep. Unfortunately, the director of the crappy fan project just happened to be Steven Spielberg, so it got made into canon. :smalltongue:

I choose to disbelieve! :smalltongue:

Trixie
2010-08-26, 08:22 AM
Why not Ninja? It has pretty much all he needs :smallwink:

Greenish
2010-08-26, 08:38 AM
Why not Ninja? It has pretty much all he needs :smallwink:Except competence.

Without gestalt, I'd go with Kung Fu Genius Passive Way Monk 2/ Factotum lots with epic (or very near) WBL. Cunning Dodge explains how he survives what no human should.

Alleran
2010-08-26, 08:40 AM
The God**** Batman. (http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=712&start=2)

Courtesy of Dicefreaks.

Ravens_cry
2010-08-26, 08:59 AM
Too bad it wasn't fired OUT of a cannon.
Seriously, Indy, Indy looks so darn OLD. It's not just his wrinkly face, it's the way he moves and walks, the bleary eyed confusion at all he sees. This isn't Junior, this is an old man who escaped from a seniors home Halloween party DRESSED as Indy.

kestrel404
2010-08-26, 10:13 AM
Here's my build for batman. In Gotham, the system would be E6 modern.

Batman
Race: Human Alignment: LN
System: E6 (Modern?), or standard world with similarly leveled enemies.

Attributes:
Str 17
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 18
Wis 14
Cha 13

1|Rogue||Able Learner, I am Batman
2|Monk|Decisive Strike|Stunning Fist
3|Ranger|Urban Ranger|Superior Unarmed Strike
4|Scout||+1 Strength
5|Scout||
6|Swordsage||Dark Knight
7|Swordsage||

Possible additional feats: The list is infinite. But I strongly suggest Blade Meditation(Shadow Fist), Urban Stealth, and most of the Combat Expertise feats.

Class Selections: Urban Ranger favored enemy organization: Gotham City Criminals.
Skills: 122 skills, spread all over the place. Most skills at 5, with high points at stealth, search, knowledge(local), gather info, intimidate, sense motive and disguise.
Maneuvers: Island of Blades and Assassin's Stance for stances, Mind over Body, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Mighty Throw, Drain Vitality, Baffling Defense, Counter charge and Moment of Perfect Mind.

Custom feats -
I am Batman: Requirements - 1st level only, int 17, str 17, no attribute less than 13
As a young child you lost something of great value to tragic circumstance. Ever since, you have been training non-stop, seeking to fix something that can never be fixed. And though you desire with all of your being to be the best, you have spurned all shortcuts to that end.
Benefit: Treat 3/4 BAB progression classes as Full BAB progression classes. Full BAB classes give you +2 skill points. You may take a 7th class level (E6 only).
Special: If you ever gain a SU or SP ability from any source, you lose all benefits from this feat. This does not prevent you from using magic items, so long as they do not permanently add abilities (I.E. a magical Graft that adds a SU ability).
Dark Knight: Requirements - I am Batman, Sneak attack class feature, 1 shadow hand strike and 1 shadow hand maneuver
Benefit: Your Rogue and Swordsage levels stack for determining Initiator level and sneak attack damage.

Equipment of note: The batman costume counts as Mithril chain, probably with some magical enhancement bonus. A Monk's belt (so he's treated as a monk 12 for unarmed damage thanks to unarmed swordsage and Superior unarmed strike). And a Handy Haversack to represent his utility belt, because the belt slot is already taken.

grarrrg
2010-08-26, 11:17 AM
Yup- to portray him as outright CE requires pics taken out of context- like kicking someone for eating ice cream- without mentioning that Batman believed at the time that the ice cream was poisoned.

Normal-person possible reactions to "Poisoned Ice Cream"
#1 Yell, "THE ICE CREAM IS POISONED!"
#2 Knock it out of the guys hand.
#3 Full body tackle to the ground.

Batman's reaction to "Poisoned Ice Cream"
#1 SNEAK-ATTACK kick to the back of the head.

Therefore Batman is a jerk.

Alignment-wise though, I'd put him as either Neutral-Good or Chaotic-Good (most of the time anyway...)

Reis Tahlen
2010-08-26, 11:28 AM
Batman : LN Warrior/Rogue/Vigilante, focused on unarmed fighting and using magic items.

hamishspence
2010-08-26, 11:54 AM
Normal-person possible reactions to "Poisoned Ice Cream"
#1 Yell, "THE ICE CREAM IS POISONED!"
#2 Knock it out of the guys hand.
#3 Full body tackle to the ground.

Batman's reaction to "Poisoned Ice Cream"
#1 SNEAK-ATTACK kick to the back of the head.

Therefore Batman is a jerk.

The guy about to eat it was Two-Face- though I don't know if Batman could tell that at the time.

Sindri
2010-08-26, 01:18 PM
Factotum 20 with Leadership for an Artificer cohort, and billionaire WBL.

WinWin
2010-08-26, 01:24 PM
No cohort.

Psycrystal. PaO'ed into whoever he needs. Othwerwise it is an inert lump of kryptonite.

Greenish
2010-08-26, 01:27 PM
Batman : LN Warrior/Rogue/Vigilante, focused on unarmed fighting and using magic items.NPC class levels? Why on earth?

Tengu_temp
2010-08-26, 01:34 PM
Not really 3.5, but I'd like to point out that Batman has an official character sheet in DC Adventures (which is pretty much Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition). He's PL 12, in case you want to know. His ability scores translate to DND like this:

Strength 18
Dexterity 24
Constitution 18
Intelligence 26
Wisdom 24
Charisma 24

He also has Immunity (Suffocation).
Okay, it's on a Rebreather item, but still.

Reis Tahlen
2010-08-26, 02:28 PM
NPC class levels? Why on earth?

Aaargh, sorry, my mistake: I play in french.

Of course, I meant: Fighter/Rogue/Vigilante

Mando Knight
2010-08-26, 03:40 PM
Actually, Batman takes levels in the Batman class:

HD: d12
Skills: 8+Int modifier per level
Class Skills: All
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+1|+2|+2|+2|Bat Wads of Cash, Batman Abilities, Bonus Feat
2|+2|+3|+3|+3|Bat Saves, Bonus Feat
3|+3|+3|+3|+3|Bat Skills, Bonus Feat
4|+4|+4|+4|+4|Bat Tech, Bonus Feat
5|+5|+4|+4|+4|I Am The Night, Bonus Feat
6|+6/+1|+5|+5|+5|Bonus Feat, Leadership
7|+7/+2|+5|+5|+5|Bat Hound, Bonus Feat
8|+8/+3|+6|+6|+6|Bonus Feat, Int +2
9|+9/+4|+6|+6|+6|Bonus Feat, Dex +2
10|+10/+5|+7|+7|+7|Bonus Feat, Bonus ability
11|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+7|Bonus Feat, Str +2
12|+12/+7/+2|+8|+8|+8|Bonus Feat, Wis +2
13|+13/+8/+3|+8|+8|+8|Bonus Feat, Cha +2, Bonus Ability
14|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+9|Bonus Feat, Con +2
15|+15/+10/+5|+9|+9|+9|Bonus Feat, Int +4
16|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+10|+10|Bonus Feat, Wis +4, Bonus Ability
17|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+10|Bonus Feat, Dex +4
18|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+11|Bonus Feat, Con +4
19|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+11|Bonus Feat, Str +4, Bonus Ability
20|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+12|Bonus Feat, The Batman[/table]

Batman is proficient in all simple, martial, and monk weapons, as well as all armor and shields.

Bat Wads of Cash: Batman has a nearly limitless stockpile of funds. Every time Batman gains a level, he gains an additional 2000 gp per level of Batman.
Bat Abilities: Levels in Batman advance Monk, Warblade, and Rogue abilities. Levels in Batman stack with levels in those classes for determining abilities. If the Batman has no levels in those classes, he still gains the abilities appropriate as if he had levels in that class equal to his levels in Batman.
Bat Saves: Beginning at second level, Batman may add his Int modifier to all saving throws. In addition, any ally who can hear or see Batman gains a +2 bonus to all saving throws.
Bat Skills: Beginning at third level, Batman may add half his class level (rounding down) as a bonus to any skills he has at least 1 rank in.
Bat Tech: Beginning at fourth level, Batman may use his uncanny intellect to craft any device needed. He can substitute his Batman level for the caster level required to make any magic item, and can make magic items even if he doesn't have the prerequisite spell or feat, except scrolls and wands. When crafting an item, he can expend 5 gp per 1 XP required to avoid paying the XP requirement.
I Am the Night: Beginning at fifth level, Batman gains Low-light vision. In addition, he takes no penalty to Move Silently or Hide checks after moving up to his normal speed, and gains a +2 bonus to all Move Silently and Hide checks.
Leadership: At sixth level, Batman gains the Leadership feat as a bonus feat.
Bat Hound: Beginning at seventh level, Batman gains the use of the Bat Hound. It functions as a druid's animal companion, with an effective druid level equal to Batman's levels of Batman. The Bat Hound must be a riding dog or wolf, and does not incur a penalty to Batman's Leadership score.
The Batman: At twentieth level, Batman hones his skill beyond mortal ken. Any opponent without Improved Uncanny Dodge is always considered flat-footed for Batman's attacks. Any missed attack against Batman provokes an attack of opportunity from Batman. Batman can now retrieve or stow an item as a free action. He also does not need to breathe, sleep, or eat.
Bonus Feats: Each level, Batman gains an additional bonus feat from the Fighter's bonus feat list.
Bonus Abilities: At tenth level and every three levels thereafter (13th, 16th, and 19th), Batman gains an additional Rogue Special Ability.
:smalltongue:

Greenish
2010-08-26, 04:36 PM
Actually, Batman takes levels in the Batman class:

HD: d12
Skills: 8+Int modifier per level
Class Skills: All
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+1|+2|+2|+2|Bat Wads of Cash, Batman Abilities, Bonus Feat
2|+2|+3|+3|+3|Bat Saves, Bonus Feat
3|+3|+3|+3|+3|Bat Skills, Bonus Feat
4|+4|+4|+4|+4|Bat Tech, Bonus Feat
5|+5|+4|+4|+4|I Am The Night, Bonus Feat
6|+6/+1|+5|+5|+5|Bonus Feat, Leadership
7|+7/+2|+5|+5|+5|Bat Hound, Bonus Feat
8|+8/+3|+6|+6|+6|Bonus Feat, Int +2
9|+9/+4|+6|+6|+6|Bonus Feat, Dex +2
10|+10/+5|+7|+7|+7|Bonus Feat, Bonus ability
11|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+7|Bonus Feat, Str +2
12|+12/+7/+2|+8|+8|+8|Bonus Feat, Wis +2
13|+13/+8/+3|+8|+8|+8|Bonus Feat, Cha +2, Bonus Ability
14|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+9|Bonus Feat, Con +2
15|+15/+10/+5|+9|+9|+9|Bonus Feat, Int +4
16|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+10|+10|Bonus Feat, Wis +4, Bonus Ability
17|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+10|Bonus Feat, Dex +4
18|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+11|Bonus Feat, Con +4
19|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+11|Bonus Feat, Str +4, Bonus Ability
20|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+12|Bonus Feat, The Batman[/table]

Batman is proficient in all simple, martial, and monk weapons, as well as all armor and shields.

Bat Wads of Cash: Batman has a nearly limitless stockpile of funds. Every time Batman gains a level, he gains an additional 2000 gp per level of Batman.
Bat Abilities: Levels in Batman advance Monk, Warblade, and Rogue abilities. Levels in Batman stack with levels in those classes for determining abilities. If the Batman has no levels in those classes, he still gains the abilities appropriate as if he had levels in that class equal to his levels in Batman.
Bat Saves: Beginning at second level, Batman may add his Int modifier to all saving throws. In addition, any ally who can hear or see Batman gains a +2 bonus to all saving throws.
Bat Skills: Beginning at third level, Batman may add half his class level (rounding down) as a bonus to any skills he has at least 1 rank in.
Bat Tech: Beginning at fourth level, Batman may use his uncanny intellect to craft any device needed. He can substitute his Batman level for the caster level required to make any magic item, and can make magic items even if he doesn't have the prerequisite spell or feat, except scrolls and wands. When crafting an item, he can expend 5 gp per 1 XP required to avoid paying the XP requirement.
I Am the Night: Beginning at fifth level, Batman gains Low-light vision. In addition, he takes no penalty to Move Silently or Hide checks after moving up to his normal speed, and gains a +2 bonus to all Move Silently and Hide checks.
Leadership: At sixth level, Batman gains the Leadership feat as a bonus feat.
Bat Hound: Beginning at seventh level, Batman gains the use of the Bat Hound. It functions as a druid's animal companion, with an effective druid level equal to Batman's levels of Batman. The Bat Hound must be a riding dog or wolf, and does not incur a penalty to Batman's Leadership score.
The Batman: At twentieth level, Batman hones his skill beyond mortal ken. Any opponent without Improved Uncanny Dodge is always considered flat-footed for Batman's attacks. Any missed attack against Batman provokes an attack of opportunity from Batman. Batman can now retrieve or stow an item as a free action. He also does not need to breathe, sleep, or eat.
Bonus Feats: Each level, Batman gains an additional bonus feat from the Fighter's bonus feat list.
Bonus Abilities: At tenth level and every three levels thereafter (13th, 16th, and 19th), Batman gains an additional Rogue Special Ability.
:smalltongue:No HiPS? :smallamused:

Soranar
2010-08-26, 04:40 PM
Batman...

Race: Human
Alignment: Lawful Good
templates: none

STATS (66 pts buy, clearly a DM's girlfriend)

STR 14 (clearly above average, but there are often stronger humans)
DEX 18 (can do handstands on 1 hand, enough said)
CON 16 (can take a beating but still human)
INT 18 (genius)
WIS 18 (very high will save, always prepared for anything)
CHA 10 (good looking but not a people person)

Gestalt

unarmed swordsage/Urban Ranger (with trapfinder variant for rangers)

reasoning

wears light armor yet retains monk's bonus to AC so must be a level 2 unarmed swordsage

favored environment: Gotham City

skills, between the 2 classes he pretty much knows anything related to his setting (but no knowledge of the planes or knowledge arcana, well maybe a few ranks trained by buddies)

feats: weapon finesse, shadow blade (hits hard despite average Str)

Mithral Chain shirt +5 with DR 10/adamantine
gloves of improved unarmed strike with nonlethal damage bonus
utility belt (doubles as multiple bags of holding, how many batarangs can he possibly have in there?)

Andion Isurand
2010-08-26, 04:42 PM
Batman could always take Keen Intellect as a first level only feat so he needs less wisdom.

Jallorn
2010-08-26, 05:13 PM
Batman...

Race: Human
Alignment: Lawful Good
templates: none

STATS (66 pts buy, clearly a DM's girlfriend)

STR 14 (clearly above average, but there are often stronger humans)
DEX 18 (can do handstands on 1 hand, enough said)
CON 16 (can take a beating but still human)
INT 18 (genius)
WIS 18 (very high will save, always prepared for anything)
CHA 10 (good looking but not a people person)

Gestalt

unarmed swordsage/Urban Ranger (with trapfinder variant for rangers)

reasoning

wears light armor yet retains monk's bonus to AC so must be a level 2 unarmed swordsage

favored environment: Gotham City

skills, between the 2 classes he pretty much knows anything related to his setting (but no knowledge of the planes or knowledge arcana, well maybe a few ranks trained by buddies)

feats: weapon finesse, shadow blade (hits hard despite average Str)

Mithral Chain shirt +5 with DR 10/adamantine
gloves of improved unarmed strike with nonlethal damage bonus
utility belt (doubles as multiple bags of holding, how many batarangs can he possibly have in there?)

I think you're wrong about his Cha. He manages to convince the world that he's a happy millionaire playboy.

Soranar
2010-08-26, 05:23 PM
I think you're wrong about his Cha. He manages to convince the world that he's a happy millionaire playboy.

he's rich

he's young

he's male

... That's what , a DC 5 bluff check? With 4 ranks in bluff he can literally never fail

Andion Isurand
2010-08-26, 07:00 PM
And he becomes a rather ornery old man in Batman Beyond. So his charisma isn't much improved by old age even though he still has a cohort.

Wonton
2010-08-26, 10:54 PM
Ehhh...... Gandalf had a fight scene with the balrog that lasted what.....At least 5 minutes?

Um, I'm not really a hardcore LotR fanboy, but I'm pretty sure it was ten days. :smallconfused:

Mando Knight
2010-08-26, 11:00 PM
And he becomes a rather ornery old man in Batman Beyond. So his charisma isn't much improved by old age even though he still has a cohort.

His Intimidate is through the roof by that point. Exemplified in a time-travel episode of JSU where present-Batman plays good cop to future-Wayne.

Batman. Plays the good cop.

Soranar
2010-08-26, 11:35 PM
His Intimidate is through the roof by that point. Exemplified in a time-travel episode of JSU where present-Batman plays good cop to future-Wayne.

Batman. Plays the good cop.

future wayne gets a major circumstance bonus and is probably higher level too

he probably has a trait that exemplifies that too

mean old man (-4 diplomacy, +2 intimidate)

Tael
2010-08-27, 01:26 AM
Batman is not just any Monk, he is a d20r Monk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98238)//Factotum//Artificer

That's right. Triple Gestalt. :smallwink:

Haarkla
2010-08-27, 05:04 AM
Rogue 4/Fighter 4/Ex-Monk 1

Batman appears to have sneak attack, skills, uncanny dodge, feats, weapon specialisation (unarmed attack) and a number of monk abilities.

Dex: 20 (clearly above even 1 in 216 people)
Str, Con, Int, Wis: 18 or slightly below. (roughly peak human)
Cha; 14 (Above average but not exceptional)

NG

Maxios
2010-08-28, 02:35 PM
He probably has a really high Intimidate score, and a Stealth score that gives him a really high mod on rolls.

Zom B
2010-08-28, 03:07 PM
Don't forget that Batman can cast Fabricate at will as a spell-like ability and has max ranks in all Craft skills.

Maxios
2010-08-28, 03:10 PM
Plus he would have Mithril armor, lightweight, but extremely protective. He'd also have Hirelings (Robin, Batgirl, Nightwing), and he'd have a unique returning weapon, a unique boomerang entitled the Batarang.

Zaydos
2010-08-28, 03:23 PM
Something like gestalt monk X/swashbuckler 3//factotum X+3, unarmed swordsage 1 or 2 (depending upon if this is a point in the continuity where his suit is armor)/factotum (maybe with swashbuckler dip), or just Factotum or Rogue 1/Swashbuckler 3/Factotum or Rogue with Superior Unarmed Strike.

Also early Dragon Magazines (might have been issue 1, within the first few dozen) said Gandalf showed no ability above a 5th level character's (fireball is the most powerful spell he casts) and even then he had a magic ring of fire which might have been giving him extra power. So it's not just some random blog it was the early game designers admitting D&D is a much higher power universe. Actually LotR was probably E6. That and the whole Gandalf specifically not being allowed to use his full power to fight Sauron (or Sarumon) and only going all out once he was falling for 10 days in battle against a fallen angel.