PDA

View Full Version : Whispers in Darkness (IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Destro_Yersul
2010-08-26, 02:06 AM
OOC thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9226449#post9226449). Make sure to read it, it has important information in it.

Chapter I: Descent
++Stare too long into the abyss, and you'll find it staring back++

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n199/ArtemistheHunter/spiral_stairs_sm.jpg?t=1282806733

The last several hours have been a blur. A blur of cavernous shuttle bays, cramped starship interiors, the rattle of re-entry, in a tub of a lander with a questionable safety record. The port, the car, the pilot turning you out of the shuttle and wishing you good luck before locking up and taking off. All of which has served to bring you to a world, and a place, with a singularly blighted name.

Volg.

The reason for your being here lies in the confidential gene-coded dataslates each of you was given. A transfer request, from your previous employers to another. One with a very well known name. Inquisitor Voss, Scourge of the Unfaithful, the Enigma, a man that few could honestly say they had met in person. Your own 'meeting' with him, if it could be called that, had been a hurried affair conducted by a huge metal servitor-construct with a plated blank silver mask for a face. That was long in the past now. Weeks of long warp travel, culminating above the dirty little world you now stand on.

From the edge of the gantry leading off from Port Dolor, you can see the hive stretching off below you. Corroded gantries, rust-covered piping and the grimy domes of hab roofs drop off into the endless black abyss. Heavy stub-guns are bolted roughly along the gantries, their cranks sitting idle for now. The guns, like Volg, have a purpose. Theirs is not to worry about the crawling humans, scurrying about like malnourished rats in the hive below. But, as every Volg native knows, the hive goes deep, and there are things in the darkness...

Bowerbird
2010-08-26, 06:35 AM
Hack looms to one side, his massive frame obscured by the thick rust-red robes of the Mechanicus. All that is visible are his gauntleted hands on the railing, and the enormous drill protruding from his back as he gazes out onto the familiar sprawl of his hellish home.

Calimos
2010-08-26, 05:57 PM
The journey to Fenksworld was quite taxing for most people. Not so for Nihilius, whose troubled childhood in the dark holds of the Black Sepulchre dwarfed any of the dangers he met later, any of those most space vessels could pose during a journey.

As for the warp and its traversing, being a void born rendered him quite accustomed to its vagaries. No, this was not what troubled Nihilius. The destination, that was what troubled him. Volg hive had a reputation for ugliness, for being perhaps the most miserable and blighted inhabited place in Calixis sector. Merely going dirtside was annoying and unsettling enough for Nihilius, for whom the cold touch of the void was a way of life. And even worse going into a hive city, where the teeming masses of humanity toiled endlessly in their ignorance.

But this is how it is and how it must be. In any case, his long service to the Holy Ordos of the Inquisition had let him in many and varied places and sure as hell he wouldn't back out now. Besides there was work to be done here. His work, the Emperor's work. Nihilius owed his life to the Emperor's servants who had found him as a youngster in Black Sepulchre, many years ago, and consequently he felt an internal debt towards the Emperor of Mankind to find these - now missing - servants of the Inquisition.

As the lander touched down, Nihilius offered a last prayer to the Emperor and got up from his seat. Tall and thin, draped in his combat cloak, hood over his head, he performed a check on his gear, securing his trusted las-pistol to its holster, making sure his sword rested in his scabbard, and then grabbed his backpack and descended from the lander.

ShadowMKII
2010-08-26, 10:39 PM
Nervously, Xufain creeps off the star ship, hugging and clinging close to the walls of the interior and exit bay before sidling off the cruiser to the edge of the gantry. Looking down and around him, the world is an intimidating and frightening mass of rusted metal, spires and domes to house the billions of swarming, famished humans below.

The world is as intriguing as it is scary, but Xufain is still too terrified to realize his level of intrigue. Still unknowing why he was sent for by the inquisitor and left in the dark about his importance he remains silent, skiddish and shakily observative about everything around him. He remains crouched over and his composure is as introverted as ever, caressing his data slate and holding his mechadendrites close to himself. He waits for his fellow company to make the first move...

Executus
2010-08-27, 12:12 AM
A tall figure in black fatigues and combat webbing walks forward on the landing. Never relaxed, he is ready to react to a threat in an instant. A long weather-case is strapped to his back, and he is carrying a duffel in his hand. No weapons are visible on his person, but he may have one hidden somewhere.

With his back to the wall, Nix scans the landscape before him, careful to keep upwind of the malodorous tech priest, and considers his new companions once again. Over the past several months, he had spent some time getting to know about them all. After all, it pays to know who has your back.

The obvious place to start was the aforementioned coghead, Hack. His bulk made him stand out in a crowd, but the odor drew attention to him. Like walking into a room to find a week old corpse in the closet, you instinctively sought out the source. His robes hid much, but the blocky protrudings hinted at heavy augmentation, and the wicked looking drill positively screamed danger. Unfortunately, Nix had no luck finding anything else out about the mysterious tech priest. He seemed to haunt the lower levels of the ship, and barely grunted at the other acolytes. "I'll keep my eyes open. Not sure I trust that one..." mused the assassin.

In stark contrast to his beastly peer was Xufain. While they both seemed to share an antisocial streak ("Seems to be a requirement to be a coghead."), the tentacled Xufain seemed likely to jump at his own shadow. The trembling priest constantly clutched a dataslate, even when he slept. Nix couldn't find out much about it, as the priest never let it out of his sight. "Another mystery. He does seem highly skilled in all matters technical, at least from the tiny bits I could follow from his babbling with the ship's crew and cogboys."

Then there was the elder witch. Nix was not normally a fan of psykers, but, for some reason, Nihilius only made his skin crawl instead of compelling him to splatter his brains across the wall...from 400 meters away. While not the most devout follower of the Creed, Nix could see that the old man clung tightly to the light of the Emperor. Maybe it was the fact that the witch was a fellow child of the stars. He seemed content to share stories of soaring through the void, although, when pressed, he became tight lipped about the specifics of his upbringing. Nix understood that sentiment all to well. "We are all entitled to a few secrets."

And finally, there was the Arbiter, Iohannes, bringing up the rear, vigilant as ever. During the voyage, they shared stories of their past hunts. Surprisingly, they had much in common. Their methods were different, their prey only occasionally overlapped, and, in another time, they may have hunted each other. But, Nix respected Iohannes' prowess and considered the man a friend, at least as close as he got to one. Hunting criminals and heretics is not that much different than hunting a mark. Under different circumstances, our roles may have reversed. Although I don't believe in catch and release...

Becoming uncomfortable with the exposed location, Nix decides to speak up. His seemingly perpetually hoarse voice cuts the silence. "We're too exposed here. Let's secure a safehouse and start our search, " With a wary nod, he indicates the brooding cog boy. "You're from this hellhole. Where should we start?"

Bowerbird
2010-08-27, 12:55 AM
Hack turns toward the Assassin, "I can lead us somewhere of relative safety. We should start by questioning workers and gangers." he says in a deep, booming, artificial-sounding voice, his wicked looking artificial jaws unmoving. "Follow me." he says, stomping off down the gantry, the metal making ominous creaking sounds as he walks.

Calimos
2010-08-27, 02:42 AM
"Allright, let's move then. The sooner we establish a base of operations the sooner we can get to investigate the missing group's last known location of residence in 2401-L Block.

Also, i think i may be able to contribute to keeping our presence here more discreet, by making the efforts of anyone who might try to detect our presence or spy on us by means technological or psychic, quite more difficult. If this kind of "cover" is something you would deem necessary just let me know in advance".

Mordar
2010-08-27, 11:16 AM
Iohannes scanned the area and watched as the other members of the squad moved off toward the warren of wretched humanity that is a Hive. The only thing worse than having to live in a place like this is choosing to live in a place like this, he thought, shouldering his duffel and heading after the other four. While he would have preferred to wear the armor instead of carrying it, he grudgingly recognized the need for some degree of subtlety in arrival. Probably would have been best to come in separately... The weight of his pistol was comforting, and the CAS-18 was secured in an easily-accessible slot on the duffel.

"I agree," he offered, catching the end of the conversation. "Remote location protocol is to set up a command point prior to initiation of the investigation. We'll need to establish some sort of cover to maintain security. Hack, what is the public perception of the Adeptus Arbites here? Respectable, feared, oppressive, or other? What is the preferred vice of the local criminal organizations?"

ShadowMKII
2010-08-27, 08:05 PM
"Everyone here is scary. They all look so human to me, so much more than me, but they all seem... scary."

There was a tall man in a dark cloak. His stance was strong and his eyes menacing. He seemed to evaluate everyone before him, searching for cracks and pores in their psyche. "He scares me the most. I don't know what he's going to do next and he looks like he hates everyone." There was another tech-priest before him. He viewed the landscape and looked as if he was recalling memories of his past. "Another tech-priest! Maybe I can find out more information about Creatus Fortuna from him... except... it doesn't look like he came from there. Maybe he used to live here..." There was an arbitrator. He seemed to be the neutral party of the bunch. He seemed calm, in control, and ready to do his part for the emperor. "I know we don't believe in the same thing, but he seems like someone maybe I could try to talk to. He seems so... strong." Lastly, the psyker. "I have never seen a psyker before. I wonder what they are like. He seems so mysterious, and yet so powerful."

Though his age was that of a young adult, his childish imagination skewed his judgement greatly. He eyes viewed all in an innocent and fair light from his 23-year-old body, and he did not notice it's prevalence in the slightest.

He had not bothered to interact much at all with the others within the grim, dark interior of the transport ships that had taken them all to their rusted tomb of a destination. It was difficult to see any of them from the engine rooms and drive cores of the star ships and he barely made a sound when asked by anyone for anything. He was a ghost, and all of those around him did not seem to understand him.

However, once off the star ship at their destination, he was able to see his party around him and realized they would be traveling with him. His interest began to peak. He couldn't wait to see what would happen next, all the while being shaken and frightened by his surroundings. Xufain was pensive, eyes shifting back and forth, searching for clues of what to expect from all of those around him.

Suddenly, the tall figure commanded the party into action. The other tech-priest replied in a monotonous, booming voice their suggested destination, and the remaining parties chimed in as well in support and suggestion.

"Heh. O-o-okay. Let's go." Xufain stuttered.

He smiled weakly, trying to establish contact with those around him, but his confidence told him that his attempt was a failure. He hung his head low and sulked behind the others silently, with only the clinking of his mechadendrites giving away his otherwise almost invisible presence.

Executus
2010-08-27, 08:49 PM
Without further comment, the assassin moves into a rearguard position. He moves calmly and smoothly, following along and checking for danger while seeming to be perfectly at ease.

As they twist and turn through the hive, Nix checks the positioning of his throat mounted microbead, scanning frequencies and trying to contact his fellows. "Hmm...nothing. I need to run a comm check with the arbiter when we get to the safehouse. Something is awry." With that, he resumes concentration on possible threats.

Destro_Yersul
2010-08-27, 08:58 PM
With Hack leading the way, the group finds it runs into no trouble. The sight of the huge tech-priest and his metal jaw send the locals they encounter scurrying into the shadows, to peer out at them from behind grimy pipes and rusted metal. The path the acolytes take is a long one, descending into the depths of the hive slowly. Distantly visible across the black pit is the other side of the hive, the massive refineries for which Volg is known belching out thick clouds of smoke and steam.

Gantries creak under your footsteps, staircases groaning and shifting as you go down, always down. At last, Hack pushes aside a thick metal plate, augmetics whirring, to reveal a corroded door, pitted by time and acidic runoff. Stenciled to the door, and nearly obscured by the damage, is a label in black paint.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n199/ArtemistheHunter/DoorSign1.png

Inside is a small room, disused for a long time. A mouldering mattress sits on a small folding cot brought in at some point, and ancient machines with unknown functions lie still, secured to the wall with thick bolts. The door, from this side, has been jury-rigged with a thick metal locking bar, and in the corner is a metal drain cover held shut in similar fashion. Looking through the drain reveals a rusty ladder leading deeper into the blackness below. The only other things in the room are a pair of large storage lockers bolted to the wall near the machines, their locks smashed in. Both doors hang open, and both lockers are empty.

Bowerbird
2010-08-28, 12:04 AM
"Arbites here are just another gang." Hack says to the Arbitrator, drawing his shotgun before opening the door, and checks the room for occupants before relaxing, "Good, it has not acquired squatters." he straightens, "It may not be very comfortable, but it is defensible and safe." he says, shouldering his shotgun.

Executus
2010-08-28, 12:04 AM
After re-listening to the briefing slates on their trek down the hive levels, Nix sighed at the horrid state of the bolt hole. "This is certainly a pit. Did you fire the maid?"

With a sneer, he scrapes some chemical sludge from his boot and continues in his raspy whisper, "I certainly hope we can find some place better soon. Maybe the previous safe house can be secured. "

The assassin then begins readying his weaponry and checking his equipment is still in place. "Synchronize comms on channel kappa kappa omega with secondary channel delta epsilon omega and verify.".

Bowerbird
2010-08-28, 12:52 AM
Hack turns to look at the Assassin, "In a manner of speaking." he says, in a neutral tone. He then assigns his microbead to the aforementioned channels, "If the previous group disappeared, their "safe"house is likely not very safe anymore."

Executus
2010-08-28, 01:13 AM
"We won't know until we check the place out. Besides, I'd rather face an enemy I can kill than die from the hordes of vermin and disease in this place. "

Backing away from the hulking cogboy, Darktide fits his filter plugs and addresses the group. "What's our next move then? Check out the safehouse? Or someone have a better idea?"

Calimos
2010-08-28, 06:40 AM
Nihilius takes a few more moments, when they arrive at their destination, to survey the surroundings for anything strange or out of place, be it an individual shadowing them, the prying eyes of the other hivers or something perhaps stranger and more sinister.

Awareness [roll0] vs Perception 42
Psyniscience +10 [roll1] vs Perception 52

He murmurs a prayer to the Emperor of Mankind to thank Him for their safe journey so far and then moves inside. After a quick look around, Nihilius finds the small and rusty place no more stranger or unfriendly than the cold metal of a starship and being raised in a dark hold certainly can change one's view of accomodation standards. He puts his backpack on the ground then sits near a corner, his back to the wall, adjustes his micro bead to the frequency dictated by Nix and then turns to his companions.

"Thank you Hack for bringing us safely here. It seems you still remember the place quite well. As for the place itself, no complaints from me, in its current state it may even help us draw less suspicions from the locals. However, if we were to secure a better, safer or more appropriate for our needs place, as Nix mentioned, i'd be fine with it as well.

Now regarding our next course of action gentlemen. I think that we should first have a look at the surroundings of the hab block used by the previous team and then, after we have a better image of the situation and possible dangers in the area, to move in and see if we can find any clues.

I must make it clear though, that my role in this is a bit specialized, meaning that i'm present to give advice on matters transcending normal sensory capabilities and things pertaining to the nature of psychic phenomena and possible dangers from them. For example to identify the presence of enemy witches among these mutants and the alleged cult we were sent to investigate, neutralize them with extreme prejudice, see if i can discern any more clues based on psychic emanations from an area or deal with even worse things should the circumstances demand it.

This i tell you, since my - let's put it this way - strange nature, the burden of my existence which i bear in the name of the Emperor and in service to His Holy Ordos, makes my normal investigative capabilities quite more diminished. I'm not one to look for information and blend in with the locals. I'm more than certain that others among us can carry out this task more than adequately.

That said, i'm ready to follow any plan devised by our group and provide my assistance in any way possible and necessary".

Destro_Yersul
2010-08-28, 07:53 AM
OOC: For the record, any time you try a perception check, or something like that, I'll make it myself, in secret, so you won't know whether or not you fail. You need only let me know you're attempting it.

The acolytes had not been followed to Hack's bolthole, as best as Nihilius could tell. There were the usual scuttling hivers, watching them as they passed, but none seemed to be taking undue interest in their activities.

Nihilius Only:
Casting his senses into the Immaterium, Nihilius noticed that the currents of the warp seemed quite calm here. The soft humming of human souls surrounded them on all sides, but that was to be expected. This was a hive, after all. But there were no daemons, no warp disturbances of any sort. At least, not nearby.

Bowerbird
2010-08-28, 01:15 PM
Hack walks over and starts examining the broken locks on the lockers, assessing how best they might be repaired and the lockers put to good use, "I assume I am here as muscle and guide, if you want to go to the safehouse, say the word."

Tech-Use: [roll0] vs 42

Destro_Yersul
2010-08-29, 09:10 AM
Picking away at the locks for a bit, Hack was able to bend some of the parts back into proper shape, restoring limited functionality. It wouldn't be perfect, and it might stick a little, but it should hold. At least until they found something more permanent.

Executus
2010-08-29, 10:57 AM
The assassin finishes strapping on his combat webbing, checking that all his weapons are in place. "Well, I'm not an expert on finding missing people. My forte is making them disappear," said with a sinister grin. "But it seems we don't have any other leads. Maybe our Arbiter can take point in this, and show us how law enforcement would handle it. Iohannes?"

Even though he is still listening, Nix turns toward the door and drain, examining the locking mechanisms. "If I have to stay in this pit, I'm going to make sure it's secure."

I'm assuming ability to bypass locks and security implies some understanding of how they work. The intent is to see how secure the lock is, and if it's at all possible to make it more secure.

Security: 47 +30 (Multikey, to determine how easy to break in)
[roll0]

Mordar
2010-08-29, 06:01 PM
"I believe our best option is to attack this issue on multiple fronts. Standard mission protocol recommends assessing their last known location, of course, but also development of detail and intelligence from human sources. In order to pursue that course of action, I'll need a little time to develop a sense of...local flavor," Iohannes indicated, checking his gear.

"I recommend that we verify security of this post, and then assess 2401 L-Block. It would be best if we are not overt in our arrival. Perhaps Nix and Nihilius could assess the area for surviellance prior to entry, and if secure signal the rest of us to join them. Hack, I would recommend you lead us to the general area and we take advantage of the walk to point out some appropriate gathering points for my local education," he continued.

Having noticed a number of hivedwellers carrying clear weapons, including those well beyond the standard side arm, Iohannes felt comfortable taking the CAS-18 Combat Shotgun out of its sleeve. The full armor was still too overt, though, so the Mesh would have to do for now.

He considered his fellow Acolytes carefully. Nix and Hack had indicated clear combat prowess, either by anecdote or simple size, and would likely have little trouble handling any issues that might come their way. Nihilius carried a weapon that suggested deadly intent, if not skill. The other Tech-Priest was more of an enigma.

"Xufain, it would be best if you stay close to me for the time being," he said, noticing that the shorter man had been ill at ease since they arrived planetside.

"Unless anyone disagrees, I suggest we make quick use of our time before word of the arrival of such an eclectic group filters its way through the hive to the ears of our prey," he concluded, standing up and racking a drum into his weapon.

Destro_Yersul
2010-08-29, 06:52 PM
the 'locking mechanisms' if they can be called that, are crude. The door has a standard issue Imperial key lock, but the key isn't here and probably hasn't been anywhere for a long time. However, it also has a thick steel locking bar on the inside. All one has to do is slide it shut, and it would take a las-cutter to get through. The drain's locking bar, welded to the floor, is similar.

Crude. But effective.

Executus
2010-08-29, 07:43 PM
At the door, Nix curses in disgust. "Cisrt! If we have to lock ourselves inside, we'll be ok, but I don't recommend leaving anything you can't live without. I could probably reverse pick the lock when we leave, but that risks jamming it."

Turning back toward the group, he nods in agreement. "Sounds like a plan. You and the cogs can go find your 'local flavor,' and I hope that doesn't mean joygirls. The old man and I will scope the safehouse out and keep a low profile. I'll try to find a good vantage point to provide some overwatch, if possible. We'll maintain a comm check every 30 minutes. Vox immediately, if you run into trouble." Glancing at the brutish tech priest, "Give us the rundown on how they mark corridors and hab units, and we can find our way there. I think you stand out a bit too much for this part of the job."

The assassin pulls his long rifle out of it's case, checking the sight alignment, attaching the suppressor, and loading magazines. Satisfied his weapon of choice was in working order, Nix prepares to head out, securing his extra gear in one of the lockers. After a quick check of his suit's stealth systems, he turns to the psyker. "Ready to go whenever you are."

For the record, the rifle is loaded with 1 mag each of Dum Dum, Manstopper, and standard. Pistols loaded w/ Manstopper. He's carrying 3 spare manstopper rifle mags, 4 standard, and a backup load of standard for each pistol. The remaining ammunition is getting stowed in the locker with his rifle case.

I'm assuming the status checks can happen in the background and basically will keep both groups apprised of what happens in their areas, unless otherwise noted, so we all have mostly the same IC knowledge.

ShadowMKII
2010-08-30, 01:51 AM
Xufain smiled weakly at Iohannes.

"T-thanks."

He said as he looked up sheepishly at the comparatively tall arbitrator. Xufain's hunched over stature from an original 5'5" frame to his regular 4'11" ball of metal did not serve his presence well.

He saw the locking mechanisms and eyed them sharply. "...T.....this is... child's play. You... know how to do this. Tell them..... tell them you can..."

Said a sincere voice. It's speech echoed in the distance of Xufain's memory, and then became at the forefront of his thoughts for a flash of an instant, disappearing just as quickly as it came into the darkness. Xufain's head was swirling, but it gave him incredible, unknown confidence. He felt as though he heard that voice once before...

"I-if it's problems with locks that you're having just leave it to me!"

Xufain piped up charismatically, a wave of confidence flowing over him suddenly. His eyes met Nix', then darted back at the locks.

He looked back at Iohannes and smiled widely, then slowly became reclusive once more. He waited close to Iohannes' side, ready to receive instruction of what to do next.

Calimos
2010-08-30, 02:41 AM
Nihilius listened carefully to the veteran arbitrator and the got up from his corner. Tall and quite thin, he stretched his limbs a bit and then performed a weapons and equipment check. Everything was in place. He adjusted his belt and coat a bit, made sure his mesh cloak was properly donned , murmured a swift prayer touching his psy-focus and then stepped forth.

"Ready when you are Iohannes. Just give the order. There's work to be done".

Bowerbird
2010-08-30, 04:36 AM
"Very well." At this Hack draws his shotgun out of his voluminous robes and puts it on a shoulder holster before turning and walking out of the bolthole. "Follow me." On the way up to the area of the missing acolytes' safehouse he points out things of note to the Arbitrator and the Assassin in a rather blunt, no-nonsense manner.

Destro_Yersul
2010-08-30, 10:10 AM
With what gear they decide not to take with them stowed safely in their newly repaired lockers, the acolytes leave Hack's bolt-hole behind. The Journey to the Hab is partly back the way they came, and many of the locals are sent scurrying away again when the party returns. Crossing a creaking, rusted gantry, Hack leads the way, pointing out a few of the more prominent landmarks.

Near to the bolt-hole stand the stacks of Refinery AA23, belching their noxious fumes into the 'sky.' The hive is dotted with such structures, each built to do the same job: Purify water. Waste runoff pipes extend from the refinery, a steady stream of filth and muck spilling from their openings to cascade into the darkness below.

Another building of particular note is Precinct House 12, the arbites building for this sector. High and imposing, it clings to the walls of Volg like a massive malevolent insect, blank windows staring down like eyes. Constructed of plasteel, the building's facade is pitted by years of exposure to Volg, and its inhabitants: the signs of las-bolt and projectile impacts are clearly visible amongst the corrosion and weathering.

Metal ringing beneath their feet, the group draws up near Hab Block L. The system, as related by Hack, is simple. Different Habs circle each level of the hive, lettered clockwise. Having not yet descended very far, the lettering is still early in the Gothic alphabet. After Block Z comes Block AA, then AB, continuing onwards and downwards in a spiral. Block designations beyond MA are hated and twisted things, even here. Squatting at the lowest of habitable depths, those who live in them face constant danger from the creatures that dwell beneath Volg, crawling up from their black pits to feed.

All the Blocks are identical. Steel and Rockcrete, built to be sturdy with no exceptions made for comfort. The front doors are code-locked metal blast doors, their interlocking teeth and hydraulic pistons heavily re-inforced. From here, there appears to be no external damage, or at least none dissimilar to that exhibited by the other Habs the acolytes had passed.

Executus
2010-08-30, 05:12 PM
"I hope you enjoy the flavour, because it smells like uest from where I stand. Nix out.", over the microbead as they split off from the Arbiter and cogboys.

I'm assuming the hab's main door is open to the public, like many apartment buildings. If it's actually a locked door, like some higher security apartments, let me know and I'll revise.

As they approach Hab L, Nix turns to the elderly psyker. "Stick behind me. Scan the place, if you can, but if you're going to turn into a raving warpspawn while you're back there, give me a heads up first.", whispers the stone cold killer with a wink.

Entering the hab, Nix follows the halls to level 24, noting possible threats along the way. From the far stairwell, he takes several minutes to scan the area around the formerly-safe house's door, looking for possible surveillance, pict-corders, or signs of break in.

Awareness/Search, to check the area: 40 + HS (Sight) = 50 +/- difficulty
If the distance warrants it, he would use his magoculars.

If it looks safe, he will approach and try to open the door, rifle at hand.

Security: 47 + 30 = 77 +/- difficulty
[roll0]

And, if for some reason we can't get to the right area, due to ambush or whatever, I'll revise the above accordingly.

Mordar
2010-08-30, 11:57 PM
"I hope you enjoy the flavour, because it smells like uest from where I stand. Nix out.", over the microbead as they split off from the Arbiter and cogboys.

"Once the location is secure, comm us and we'll make our way there. Be sure to not disturb anything until I can get a look, if at all possible," Iohannes replied. "If compromised, attempt comm with codewords 'Fallen', 'Rest' or 'Arc' if captured and requesting prejudiced extraction, delayed extraction or team evacuation."

"Hack, I require a social gathering point that would reasonably be frequented by residents of L-Block. Please identify any specific locations that would be appropriate," the Arbitrator directed. While his choice of verbiage suggested that he would have a very hard time blending with any such populace, his confidence and age suggested either a fantastic run of luck or unexpected ability. "A briefing on the criminal elements, vices of choice and power factions would also be useful, even if out of date," he concluded, watching Nix and Nihilius fade into the haze of Volg.

Bowerbird
2010-08-31, 02:20 AM
Hack watches the assassin and psyker leave, he looks around at the arbitrator, "I'll take you to The Sump." he says, and without further word starts walking. Though after a few meters he begins explaining the local power structure, "No cohesive structure. Probably the only constants are the big ones, Murks, Darksiders, Pit Hounds, and of course the Arbites. Vices: Alcohol, Combat Drugs, Murder."

Calimos
2010-08-31, 02:30 AM
Nihilius treads carefully, following Nix towards Hab-L.
A faint grin shows in his face at the mention of the terrible cost of being a psyker, that Nix so aptly and unhesitantly describes and speaks with a low voice, almost whispering.

"It is true that danger lurks in every time that i must use the power of the immaterium to assist my colleagues through my psychic disciplines. It is why my faith must be unyielding to Him on Terra, and i must forever tread in His Light. For to fall from this path will surely spell eternal damnation, not only for me but possibly for others as well. Truth is though that i pray, in case such a situation occurs and something too terrible is about to manifest, that my conditioning will hold and i'll fall on my mercy blade rather than let myself to be used as a conduit for the vile forces of the warp".

Then he casts his senses beyond the corporeal world, into the shadows of the immaterium, scanning the area around Hab-block L for any psychic emanations, any trace of psychic residue that could perhaps exist there, anything appearing disturbing or not in place, a possible indicator that other forces are around and that things aren't as they appear.

OOC:
[Requesting a Psyniscience+10 test, since it is perception based.]

Destro_Yersul
2010-08-31, 10:29 PM
Nix and Nihilius
After a moment spent bypassing the lock on the main apartment door, the assassin and the psyker slip inside block L. Inside, the block is rather spartan and undecorated. Endless stairwells take the acolytes upwards, opening finally into a grey hall, of steel and rockcrete. Numbered doors run off to either side, but the one they need is directly ahead and to the left. Pausing outside 2401, both acolytes stop and listen. Nix notes a few bulky pict recorders bolted to the ceiling, softly whirring back and forth on their servos, but other than that everything is quiet. Multi-key in hand, the assassin sets to work on 2401's door. After a few moments the lock pops, and the door rumbles open.

Nihilius Only
Throwing his mind into the immaterium once again, the hum of souls surrounds him. People are everywhere here, more people than were around Hack's safehouse. Once again, however, there's no trace of warp interference.

Iohannes, Xufain and Hack
Leaving the others to search the Hab, the trio of acolytes sets off towards the Sump, while Hack details the local power structure as he remembers it. When they reach the place, it proves to be your typical dive, identical to the many found scattered across the Imperium. A squat steel building with its nameplate bolted over the swinging door, the Sump is everything but attractive. Stepping inside, the impression it makes doesn't improve. Loud music manages to almost drown out the murmuring hum of conversation, the bar's many occupants looking up only briefly when the acolytes enter. Two men in Arbites armour lean against the wall in a booth near the back, pointedly ignoring the heavily robed man one booth over. From the looks of things, he's trying to push something or other on a weedy looking fellow in refinery-worker overalls. Gangers trade talk with each other, suspiciously watching rival groups, and the atmosphere holds a buzz Iohannes recognizes only too well: barely restrained hostility.

Bowerbird
2010-08-31, 11:33 PM
"Welcome to the Sump. Enjoy yourselves." he says, stepping to one side and allowing the others into the dive. Hopefully these fools will start something, and I get a meal out of this. He assumes a position off in a corner where he can see most of the bar.

Executus
2010-09-01, 10:06 AM
As the door opens, Nix raises his rifle to his shoulder while berating himself for taking so long to open the door. "Fierfek! These locks are caked with corrosion. I hope the witch knocked out the cameras. Probably should have mentioned that..."

Putting that thought out of his mind, the assassin sweeps the room, ready to pulp the skull of any ambushers.

OOC: If the room is not clear, ignore the below.

Seeing the room looks to be empty, Nix lowers his rifle, motions the psyker into the room with a whispered "Clear," and locks the door. Still wary, the assassin clears any remaining rooms and starts to look around the place for signs of struggle or clues to the whereabouts of the missing acolytes, mindful of the Arbiter's request to leave things undisturbed.

"Do your witchery and see if you find any trace missing team. I'll look around, and vox Iohannes. "

Search: 40 +10 HS (Sight) : 50

Not digging through drawers and the like, but searching the room as best as possible without ransacking it. Opening closets, drawers, etc., but not moving things around in them.

Calimos
2010-09-01, 10:46 AM
As the door opens and Nix enters the room, Nihilius tries to stop him, holding him briefly by the shoulder.

Then he speaks in a very low, barely audible voice, but his eyes demonstrate that he's serious and determined.

"Before we proceed any further i must first secure two things, that our presence here becomes as difficult to be detected as possible and second, if there are any life forms further inside. While i concentrate to achieve these things please keep an eye for incoming possible dangers and also an eye on me in the unfortunate case that the warp overwhelms my mind and soul".

Then he begins murmuring a prayer to the Emperor of Mankind, his right hand reaches to his pocket, retrieving a small silver aquilla with his name at the back and grasps it firmly. His eyes roll back in his sockets, turning white and the blood vessels on his head strain with effort. He reaches out with his mind, filling the Warp with invisible static, blanketing his presence as well as that of Nix from any prying "eyes" and then redoubles his efforts, his prayers continuing, the silver aquilla almost causing his hand to bleed from the pressure, and his senses are cast beyond the walls and other material obstacles inside the hab-block, searching for any life forms existing there.

OOC:
I will try an Invocation +10 (due to psy-focus) test and then roll to manifest White Noise. Then (assuming i succeed and nothing goes bad) i'll try another Invocation +10 test , followed by a power roll to manifest Sense Presence.

So here goes:
Invocation (WP) +10: [roll0] vs 75.
White noise: [roll1] +6 (WP bonus) +1 (power well talent) vs 8 (threshold)

Invocation (WP) +10: [roll2] vs 75.
Sense Presence: [roll3] +6 (WP bonus) +1 (power well talent) vs 7 (threshold).

Edit:Both powers manifest successfully, need a psychic phenomena roll for the first one (9 in power roll).
White noise with overbleed (+10 above threshold), increasing its effect radius by 20 meters.
Sense presence with overbleed (+5 above threshold), extending range by 10 meters.

Mordar
2010-09-01, 01:00 PM
This places are all the same. The roughs are nothing if not consistant, Iohannes thought. Leading Xufain to a table, Iohannes scanned the room. The deal in the corner, the looks of disgust and feigned disinterest...it was all as he had expected. The Abritrators, on the other hand, should have either been wearing civilian gear or putting forth a more...attentive presence. Iohannes checked them for rank insignia, planning to follow up later. For now, though, the other customers were the priority.

Once Xufain had settled his significant mass into place, Iohannes moved to the bar, making a point of letting the room notice the hardware on his back. Ordering two of whatever passes for the standard rot, Iohannes laid a small amount of money on the bar. The words from the Consolidated Operating Protocols - Display standard flash money of 10 times the cost per unit local fare to engender interest without undue risk of larcenous attention - passed through his mind, his training dictating his action as always.

A nod at the tender drew his attention. "I'm lookin' for someone that was supposed to be around here. Someone who owes. Who here is the kind of person that pays attention," he asked, not too loud, but not too quietly either.

OOC
It is my intention to present our interest in locating Drusis Callid as a debt-collection job, and that we are agents of a powerful patron who was displeased that Callid disappeared.

[roll0] versus Inquiry (base 50) if appropriate

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-01, 01:42 PM
Nix and Nihilius
Nix steps inside the Hab, sweeping his gun back and forth. The interior of the small first room is covered in a thin layer of dust, as though nothing has been inside for quite some time. The walls are hung with several large flakboards, each liberally papered with notes and maps, little red pins stuck into the paper in many places to mark locations. String stretches between the pins, tying some of them together. Before he can get close enough to read the notes scribbled on them, though, Nihilius steps up behind him, holding him back with a hand on his shoulder.

Moving past the assassin to stand in the center of the room, the psyker focuses his powers to shield them from detection. With a pop of static, a humming whine settles into the back of their hearing, just on the edge of detection. Nihilius can feel the Aquila in his hand growing warm as he continues his chanting, searching through the warp for the presence of others. The papers on the walls rustle softly in a nonexistent breeze, the background droning increasing in pitch and volume. Too late, the psyker realizes that something has gone horribly wrong. Wind flashes through the block, whispering voices mingled with crackling static. The lights dim, and the two men can feel their skin blistering and cracking. Rushing about them, the wind whispers in their ears with its many voices, and for a brief instant the room seems to age before their eyes, rusting and crumbling around them.

Stumbling backwards, eyes wide, Nihilius pulls free of the warp, and as quickly as it had come, the storm was gone. Silence descended on the room like a veil, its appearance unchanged from when they first entered. Not even the dust on the floor had been disturbed by the warp-winds.

Taking their seat at one of the tables, the acolytes were afforded a good view of the bar. Two bars on the shoulder of the arbitrators told Iohannes he was looking at a pair of Enforcers, some of the lower men on the ranking scale. Finishing his deal, the weedy man at the table next to them stood and scuttled out, a package hastily shoved into one of his pockets. The robed fellow sat back and waved to the bartender for a drink. He was just beginning to make it when Iohannes reached the bar.

The bartender was a beady-eyed man with slicked hair and hands that wouldn't have looked out of place on an ogryn. He slid the robed man's drink across the bar and turned his attention to Iohannes' drinks. Two small glasses of strong-smelling alcohol hit the bar, and the arbitrator's money was scooped into a fold on his apron before he answered. "If you're lookin' for someone who knows summat, yer best bet is robes over there. Don't think there's much he don't see. A warning, though. If you cause any trouble in my bar, I'll give you some trouble of your own." As the man turned away, Iohannes caught a glimpse of a large pistol with a short barrel strapped to the his thigh. Clearly the bartender was no stranger to trouble.

Executus
2010-09-01, 03:09 PM
As the storm rages, Nix moves behind a nearby chair a and lines up a head shot on the mumbling psyker. Just as his finger begins to rest on the trigger, the storm abates and everything returns to normal. "Shasul witches! Star-Emperor take them all to the Void."

Touching the engraved aquila on his rifle stock, he lowers the weapon to ready, and edges around the outside of the entry room toward the doors in the back.

Subvocalizing into his commbead, "Stay sharp. If there was anyone watching the place, they know they have company now," he begins to clear the apartments remaining rooms and search through the detritus of the apartment.

Search: 40 + 10 (HS) + 10 (Extended search) = 60
Barring interruptions, Nix will make a thorough sweep of the apartment, taking at least 10 minutes.

Calimos
2010-09-01, 04:28 PM
"....and from the darkness of the void Emperor deliver us..."

Nihilius ends his chant in a drawn out voice and with eyes wide open seeks Nix.

Emperor's guiding Light...He remained too long in the Warp, long enough for excess immaterium substance to seep into reality and blast them in a storm of energy. Thankfully he was intact and his comrade as well. Even in his moment of weakness, the Emperor protected him and didn't let his slip to spell doom for them.

"I'm ok Nix. Was overwhelmed for a moment there and this slight inattention could have cost us much more. This is part of being a psyker, fellow void-born. This is merely a small piece of evidence of the terrible responsibilities that rest on our shoulders and the maliciousness that awaits should we falter from our path".

He lowers his voice a bit and speaks to the microbead.
"Our cover so far intact. Detection countermeasures of psychic nature deployed. Effort almost cost dearly but Emperor protects. No signs of living beings on the vicinity. Proceeding to further investigation. Nihilius out".

Then he proceeds to search the room alongside Nix for any clues of the previous acolyte team and their fate.

White noise sustained to provide for further detection avoidance and Sense presence to be notice any living being in the vicinity.

Mordar
2010-09-01, 08:46 PM
Iohannes looked towards the robed figure, clearly an criminal figure of some reputation to be able to complete his illicit business in plain sight of so many local roughs as well as the Arbitrators. The COPs indicates playing to the target's expectations, and what anyone here must expect is strength, bravado and criminal malfeasance.

"Have a drink, friend," he said, sliding into the booth opposite the robed figure and setting one of the doses of rot in front of him. "Emperor's Glory!" Iohannes toasted, a slight derision in his voice, and tossed back the drink. The ethanol seared the back of his throat, tasting more of solvent and ester than anything man should consume.

After a moment's pause, the Arbitrator launched an opening salvo. "I am Castellan, and I understand you are a person who pays attention. I recommend you pay attention now," he started in a low voice. "My patron is very interested in the whereabouts...or the fate...of an ex-Guardsman. This Guardsman, an off-worlder, is known to have arrived here a month ago, and was said to have been seen in this hab-block. He had something with him that my patron would like returned. I suspect someone who pays attention would have noticed him. Someone like that could expect a reward for sharing useful information."

"I'd appreciate any help you could offer in that regard, friend."

OOC
If the robed man offers any insight, Iohannes will play along, continuing the "Collection Agent" facade. No mention of the other two acolytes will be offered, as Iohannes is keeping that information in the dark as a confirmational fact. Aggression will be met with aggression, and Inquiry can turn to Interrogation if an absolute must, but the hope is to keep things nice and friendly.

Bowerbird
2010-09-01, 10:05 PM
From his corner, Hack watches Iohannes approach the robed figure. As he does so he takes note of anyone else paying undue attention to the Arbitrator.

Awareness: [roll0] vs 15

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-02, 11:20 AM
Nix and Nihilius
With both Acolytes searching, the job goes quickly. All three of the Hab's rooms contain flakboards and papers hanging on all the walls, each with a different web of red pins and string. Notes are scrawled hastily across the maps, names and dates with no seeming significance or pattern. In the kitchen, Nihilius takes a look inside the fridge and immediately wishes he hadn't. Thick black mould covers most of the contents, and the entire interior stinks of rot. The cupboards contain only a few metal dishes, and a munitorum issue mess kit sits in the sink, collecting more mould. The only thing in the place that's still 'edible' is a package of ration bars left open on the counter.

The small closet in the main room contains a pair of hangers, and nothing else. The bedroom, with its three cots, proves to contain a chest of doors containing changes of clothing in three different sizes, and a couple spare clips of ammunition sized to fit a standard stub-auto. Papers, inks, and an auto-quill lie abandoned on a small desk, as does a box containing a number of red pins and a spool of red string. As the search is drawing to a close, with both acolytes beginning to think they may not find much of anything, Nix remembers that he hadn't checked under the cots yet. Kneeling to the ground, the assassin thinks he can make out a boxy shape under one of them. As his eyes adjust to the dimmer light, more details emerge; a dial, a handle, and the outline of a door. He was looking at a safe.

While Xufain and Hack remained at the table, looking around the bar, Iohannes approached the robed man. Most everyone in the bar was watching him out of the corner of their eyes, and the other corner was watching Hack. The techpriest found it difficult to tell whose attention was more than simple caution.

Raising the proffered alcohol in a toast, the glass vanished inside robes' hood, coming back empty. The man nodded, and began to speak, his voice coming out in the modulated tones of a vox implant.

++I SEE MANY GUARDSMEN. MAYBE I HAVE SEEN YOURS++

Reaching for his own drink, the layers of clothing covering his arm slipped slightly, briefly exposing skin scarred by countless acid burns. The hand was hastily snatched back, and the drink held in it drained. Setting that glass down as well, he continued.

++BUT FIRST, I SHOULD INTRODUCE MYSELF. YOU MAY CALL ME HOOD. IT IS IMPOLITE TO DO BUSINESS WITH SOMEONE YOU CANNOT CALL BY A NAME, I THINK++

ShadowMKII
2010-09-02, 02:08 PM
Seated at a booth with Hack, Xufain watched the locals carefully as well. He was more unfamiliar with situations like these, were social conduct and mastery were important to avoid... unnecessary confrontation and consequences.

Knowing that this was the case, Xufain remained quiet, though not without sharp eyes and ears. His darting eyes and constant fidgeting drew some undue attention, but nothing more than a few glances at that. The sump drew in many a kind of strange and wicked visitors, and Xufain was an eccentric far cry from the more "violent" types.

Mordar
2010-09-02, 03:14 PM
++I SEE MANY GUARDSMEN. MAYBE I HAVE SEEN YOURS++

++BUT FIRST, I SHOULD INTRODUCE MYSELF. YOU MAY CALL ME HOOD. IT IS IMPOLITE TO DO BUSINESS WITH SOMEONE YOU CANNOT CALL BY A NAME, I THINK++[/SPOILER]

"I agree. As I said, I am Castellan. The man I seek is an offworlder, arrived about a month ago. His name is Drusis Callid, though he may well have been using an alias," Iohannes offered.

OOC
If there is additional information on Callid available from any briefings or materials provided during the voyage to Volg, Iohannes will draw on that information and provide Hood with appropriate detail - unit, world of origin, appearance, etc.

"He may have been looking for someone with a...non-traditional point of view. Ring any bells?"

Inquiry
[roll0] vs Inquiry 50 base if necessary/appropriate

Executus
2010-09-02, 04:17 PM
"This looks promising..." Lifting away the cot and voxing his elderly partner "I found something. This may take a minute to open. Maybe you can learn something from all these papers."

Pushing back his stealth hood to get a better look at the safe and removing his armored combat gloves, he pulls out his burglar's toolkit. Then he begins works his nimble fingers through an exercise routine designed to loosen them for the task in front of him. When his rituals are complete, he spins the dial to get a feel for its weight, the rigidity of the locking mechanism, and other subtleties only a safecracker would care about. "It seems to be a standard design. This shouldn't be too much trouble, but it may take awhile." He then settles in to crack the safe.

I'm not sure if a multikey applies here. RAW say 'involving locks.' On one hand, a safe is clearly a lock, but not the kind you use a key on, so I'm guessing no. Destro, apply +30 if you think it should.

Security: 47
[roll0]

Additionally, I would assume that, given enough time, he could get it open, so add a minute for each failed check?

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-02, 08:26 PM
Iohannes
++THE MAN FROM CANTUS. I REMEMBER HIM++

Hood nods, flicking his vision back and forth across the room. He motions to the bartender for another drink, gesturing to Iohannes to indicate he'll be the one paying for it.

++HE CAME IN SOME TIME AGO. ASKING QUESTIONS. LOOKING, AS YOU SAY. I CAN TELL YOU WHERE HE WENT, BUT THIS IS WHERE BUSINESS COMES IN. THERE IS ALWAYS A PRICE++

Nix
Holding the safe, Nix listened to the tumblers. Spinning the wheel, he listened to them clicking softly as they locked into place. After a moment he tried the handle, and the safe sprung open. Inside were two items: A small box, tied with string, and a tattered logbook.

Executus
2010-09-02, 08:49 PM
"Looks like it was easier than I expected. " Nodding in satisfaction, the deft-handed assassin looks into the safe.

"By the Void! Now we're getting somewhere." Cautiously checking to make sure there are no hidden traps or devices, Nix pulls out the two items, and goes to find his accomplice.

"I found these in a safe in the back room. What do you make of them? Maybe you can sense something, if you can avoid opening a portal to the gorram warp again," snickering as he hands the items to Nihilus.

Mordar
2010-09-02, 10:20 PM
++HE CAME IN SOME TIME AGO. ASKING QUESTIONS. LOOKING, AS YOU SAY. I CAN TELL YOU WHERE HE WENT, BUT THIS IS WHERE BUSINESS COMES IN. THERE IS ALWAYS A PRICE++

"And what price are you asking, Hood? I can be a reasonable man, so long as my business partners recognize that it is a choice I make, not a choice others make for me," the Arbitrator replied.

Calimos
2010-09-03, 01:48 AM
Nihilius proceeds to take the objects Nix found and sits on one of the cots. Then, he ungloves his hands, folds back his sleeves and casts his senses beyond the veil of the material of world to discern if there's any psychic imprint on these objects that could provide them with a lead.

After doing this, Nihilius, carefully opens each of them, to examine the contents of the box and read whatever may be written inside the logbook. Also pays special attention to the string by which the box is tied, for any unusual pattern.

"You seem to have quite an aptitude for uncovering things that lay in secret places Nix. Let's hope the wisdom of our God-Emperor will help us to use them in the best way to locate His missing servants".

Requesting a Psyniscience (Perception) +10 test vs 52. After that i'll just handle the objects normally, looking if there's anything strange about them and what their contents are, as i mentioned above.

Executus
2010-09-03, 08:59 AM
While Nihilus is checking the items they found, Nix walks to the door and sends a status update via encrypted burst on his microbead. "Darktide, Castell. Site A secure. Proceeding with search. Outlook promising. Out." The assassin then checks to make sure no one is outside, prepping to raid the apartment or just watching the area with undo interest.

Obviously, if there is a mess of mutants about to raid the place, Nix won't be checking out the wallpaper.

Quick check outside then start looking at the pictures on the walls. Unfortunately, he can't read, so that will have to wait for Nihilus or one of the others to get here.

EDIT: Removed references to checking the walls, due to what is seen outside.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-03, 10:32 AM
++OF COURSE. YOU AND YOUR COMRADES LOOK LIKE THE SORT WHO CAN HANDLE THEMSELVES. THIS INVOLVES THEIR HELP, SO THEY SHOULD HAVE INPUT AS WELL++

Leaning out from the booth, Hood waves to Hack and Xufain to indicate they should come over. Once both acolytes have joined the group at the table, and he's recieved his drink from the bartender, he continues.

++I AM A MAN WHO PAYS ATTENTION TO THINGS. I HAVE BEEN PAYING ATTENTION TO A DISTURBING TREND OF LATE++

Shifting his gaze off the acolytes, Hood's eyes flicker briefly over one of the groups of gang roughnecks sitting in the bar. Moments later, his attention is entirely focused on them once again.

++TO PUT IT SIMPLY, BUSINESS IS BECOMING MORE DIFFICULT. BUSINESS WOULD BE LESS DIFFICULT IF THERE WAS LESS OBSTRUCTING IT. ARE YOU INTERESTED IN EARNING YOUR INFORMATION, AS WELL AS SOME THRONES?++

Nix
Checking the hallway, Nix notes it to be still deserted. The only thing that has changed is a large rat, slumped off to one side of the hallway. It's quite clearly dead, its blistered flesh smelling distinctly of cooked meat. Nothing moves in the corridor, but the assassin can hear distant whimpering.

Nihilius
Examining the objects' warp signature proves to be fruitless. There wasn't anything peculiar about them as far as the psyker could tell. Opening the book first, he quickly gained some insight into the literal writing on the walls. The log contained detailed notes explaining the collected names and dates. Progress or not, Team A had been busy in their week of productivity. The logbook was neat and well organized, with plenty of reference notes, and written in thin spidery writing.

Each red pin on the maps represents a mutant sighting. Glancing up at the nearest map, Nihilius notes for the first time that not all the pins have names next to them, and that there are a disturbing number of pins. Checking the book again, it turns out that some of the pins represent multiple sightings of a recognizable twist. A quick check of the names, those that there are, reveals something else. Missing Person reports, on Arbites stationary. Looking around the rooms, Nihilius picks out at least twelve reports tacked to various flakboards, each linked to a set of red pins with more red string.

Moving on to the box proved to be less enlightening. The string was tied only to hold it shut, and upon being opened it proved to contain only two things. A pistol, and a note. At first glance, the gun was a Ripper Clip autopistol. Common enough on Volg. A closer look, however, revealed that this particular gun was not nearly as poorly made as its brethren. The bolts fit, the parts didn't rattle so much, and the half-spent slide loaded into the weapon was oiled and grooved for a better fit. The note told only where the weapon had come from: It was taken from the body of a dead twist after he had attacked them lower in the hive.

Mordar
2010-09-03, 10:45 AM
++I AM A MAN WHO PAYS ATTENTION TO THINGS. I HAVE BEEN PAYING ATTENTION TO A DISTURBING TREND OF LATE++

Shifting his gaze off the acolytes, Hood's eyes flicker briefly over one of the groups of gang roughnecks sitting in the bar. Moments later, his attention is entirely focused on them once again.

++TO PUT IT SIMPLY, BUSINESS IS BECOMING MORE DIFFICULT. BUSINESS WOULD BE LESS DIFFICULT IF THERE WAS LESS OBSTRUCTING IT. ARE YOU INTERESTED IN EARNING YOUR INFORMATION, AS WELL AS SOME THRONES?++

"I am certainly willing to hear your proposal, Hood. Provided, of course, that you can prove you know something of our quarry," Iohannes replied. "One moment, please."

His eyes narrowed for a moment and he canted his head slightly to the right. Activating his microbead, he sub-vocalized "Acknowledged. Proceeding as planned."

"I beg your pardon, just checking in with our support team. We wouldn't want them to worry about us, now would we?" he finished with a nod and the slightest of smiles.

Executus
2010-09-03, 11:17 AM
"Definitely a las wound. We're probably about to be ambushed." Acting immediately, he closes the door as if he noticed nothing out of the ordinary and locked it securely.

Subvocalizing to the meditating psyker, "Hope you can hear me. I think we are about to have company. Get ready." He then moves quickly and quietly into cover, unlimbers his rifle, and commences overwatch on the hab door.
"Darktide, Beta team. Possible ambush. May require assistance from anyone currently unoccupied. Out."

If there is a doorway to one of the adjoining rooms that would provide cover and a view or the door, Nix would move there and be ready to fire at anyone that comes in from there. Failing that, a couch or overturned table would be used.

Calimos
2010-09-03, 12:17 PM
This information is truly remarkable...the acolyte team residing here must have been quite methodical in their efforts, that's another good reason to seek them out, maybe if we find them or learn what happened to them we'll be able to discern more details on the mutant situation here. Now, let's get this logbook into our backpack and probably give that gun to Nix since he's better at...

His thoughts are cut off by Nix's voice in his micro-bead. Damn. Nihilius wished for more time to study the relevant evidence and hoped to bring Iohannes to examine them as well, since the grizzled arbitrator had a reputation for thorough investigations. But this would have to wait. Now the circumstance might call for action.

"Acknowledged. Stay sharp. I'm with you in a minute."

Nihilius's combat reflexes kicked in and the endless hours of training as a Templar Calix focused his body and mind, preparing him for whatever may be waiting ahead. Their lives may be in danger and whoever wanted to harm them. would thus harm the Emperor's work and disturb His servants' vigilance. And this Nihilius could not allow. The logbook was put in his backpack, secure and the pistol as well. Then he pulled up his hood, drew his shimmering blade from his prayer - inscribed scabbard, readied his trusted las-pistol from its holster and moved towards Nix's position.

His eyes cold as the void, barely flickered below his hood, as his tension grew. He calmedd his mind reciting prayers and then turned to Nix.
" I'm ready brother. Let any who wish to obstruct His divine will and harm His servants, perish and may the Void take their souls".

Bowerbird
2010-09-04, 12:02 AM
Hacks turns his head to one side, "Acknowledged, Proceeding to your location." he subvocalises into the microbead channel, looking down at the others, "I must go, fill me in later." he says, as he stomps off out the door and heads for the safehouse.

ShadowMKII
2010-09-04, 02:56 AM
As Hack announced his removal to Nix and Nihilius' location, Xufain noded quickly.

"I will be here in case things turn for the worst in both locations. Good bye and good luck." He said sharply and attentively.

Xufain's determination rose suddenly and his mind began to clear. Under the now pressing circumstances, he started to understand just how serious a mission this was. His senses focused and he readied for anything unexpected.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-04, 10:39 AM
Nix and Nihilius
The Hab stayed quiet. Nothing banged on the door, and there were no sounds of gunfire. Suddenly there was a loud thud from the hall outside, and then the silence returned.

Iohannes and Xufain
As the larger tech-priest left, Hood nodded and watched him go.

++OF COURSE. YOU ARE WISE TO HAVE OTHERS WATCHING FOR YOU. VOLG IS A DANGEROUS PLACE++

Pulling himself out of the booth, Hood straightened up. He proved to be rather short in stature, once the acolytes were able to get a good look at him standing instead of just sitting.

++COME WITH ME. AS PROOF, I OFFER THIS: CALLID'S LEGION WAS 5TH CANTUS DRAGOONS++

Though little in the way of proof, the 5th legion is indeed the one Drusus belonged to.

OOC: Hack's ETA in the Hab block is 5 minutes, if he walks, and faster if he runs.

Executus
2010-09-04, 11:04 AM
Remaining crouched in cover, poised with deadly intent, Nix begins to wonder if it was just his paranoia instead of an impending ambush. Activating his microbead once again, he whispers "Darktide, Nihilus. Can you sense anything outside?"

"I'm just paranoid. I'll check the hall again in a minute."

Mordar
2010-09-04, 01:38 PM
++OF COURSE. YOU ARE WISE TO HAVE OTHERS WATCHING FOR YOU. VOLG IS A DANGEROUS PLACE++

Pulling himself out of the booth, Hood straightened up. He proved to be rather short in stature, once the acolytes were able to get a good look at him standing instead of just sitting.

++COME WITH ME. AS PROOF, I OFFER THIS: CALLID'S LEGION WAS 5TH CANTUS DRAGOONS++

"Where are we heading, Hood?" Iohannes asked, concerned but not worried, as he stood. "This is Faden," he continued, gesturing to Xufain.

Iohannes nodded in the direction of the Arbitrators, and subvocalized into his microbead. "Departing Sump, location to follow. Will remain in contact and will expedite if required."

The Arbitrator watched as Hood began to move, assessing his size and mass, watchful for signs of taint or twist in the clearly augmented hiver.

Calimos
2010-09-04, 03:37 PM
"Copy that Darktide, i'm on it. And don't talk to me about paranoia. A lifetime of service in the Holy Ordos tends to do that.

Nihilius moves towards the door, letting his consciousness expand beyond the materials around him and seeking with his mind life forms present in the area, other than his comrade. Vigilant, as hundrends of training hours had taught him, both while appointed to serve in the Imperial Guard and while serving the Inquisition, he put his back to the wall for safety, and waited, ready to convey any change in the surroundings to Nix and also to act on a moments notice.

Moving towards the appartment's door in order to be in range for Sense Presence, to see what this thud was about, responding to Nix's call for my help in noticing any possible ambushers outside the room.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-05, 11:36 AM
Iohannes and Xufain
Hood was maybe five foot six, and certainly didn't seem to have much going for him in the muscle department. Making his way slowly out of the bar, Hood elaborated.

++NOT FAR. WE NEED TO BE SOMEWHERE SECURE TO DISCUSS BUSINESS++

Leaving the sump behind, the acolytes were lead down a flight of rickety steel stairs attached to the nearest gantry. At the bottom waited an access hatch to one of the massive outflow pipes spilling its contents into the depths of Volg. Hood checked to be sure they were close behind him, and entered a code onto a panel next to the hatch, obscuring the keys with his body. The hatch pinged and rumbled open, and Hood stepped inside.

++COME. THERE IS A ROOM IN HERE I USE SOMETIMES++

OOC: Reply to other party waiting on Calimos' answer to my OOC

Mordar
2010-09-05, 05:50 PM
++COME. THERE IS A ROOM IN HERE I USE SOMETIMES++

Iohannes relayed any obvious markings via comm bead, trying to ensure that the others were as aware of his location as possible. He subtley unclipped the cover on his autopistol holster and stepped through the hatchway after Hood.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-06, 12:35 AM
Nix and Nihilius
The seconds stretched on, the acolytes in the room watching the door. There were no further sounds from outside. Nihilius concentrated, and reached out to the warp once again...

Nihilius Only
The souls of those in the building still showed up in his mind's eye as little points of light, but many of them were different now. Weaker, as though they had suffered recently from some trauma or other. None were static, either. All the signatures were moving towards the bottom of the building. After a second, the psyker noticed something else: the little points of light, the rats and small creatures, were gone entirely.

Iohannes and Xufain
Stepping inside the pipe after relaying his message, Iohannes realized quickly that the thick metal of the pipe was interfering with his commbead. Xufain stepped in after them and they followed Hood off to one side into a small room. Looking much like their safehouse, with its banks of machines and storage lockers, this room is much better maintained. Hood seats himself on a metal chair and turns to face them.

++YOU HAVE QUESTIONS. I HAVE ANSWERS. IT IS... MOSTLY SAFE HERE. PLEASE SHUT THE DOOR BEHIND YOU++

Waiting as the acolytes did so, Hood continued once it had been shut.

++DRUSUS CALLID. THE GUARDSMAN FROM CANTUS. YOU MAY HAVE SOME TROUBLE FINDING HIM, BUT I WILL TELL YOU WHAT YOU KNOW IF YOU AGREE TO TAKE CARE OF A PROBLEM FOR ME. MUTANT NUMBERS ARE GROWING RAPIDLY. MANY OF THE GANGS HAVE TAKEN THEM ON AS NEW MEMBERS. I WOULD LIKE VERY MUCH IF YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS REMOVED ONE IN PARTICULAR++

Hack
Moving as swiftly as his massive bulk allowed, Hack made for the Hab block. He could see it across the gantry he was on, little figures streaming from the doorway in a stumbling mass. Increasing his pace, he nearly ran into one man who had seemingly just come from there. The man's skin was burnt and blistered, as though from radiation. Hack had seen that before, and it never ended well.

Mordar
2010-09-06, 12:53 AM
++DRUSUS CALLID. THE GUARDSMAN FROM CANTUS. YOU MAY HAVE SOME TROUBLE FINDING HIM, BUT I WILL TELL YOU WHAT YOU KNOW IF YOU AGREE TO TAKE CARE OF A PROBLEM FOR ME. MUTANT NUMBERS ARE GROWING RAPIDLY. MANY OF THE GANGS HAVE TAKEN THEM ON AS NEW MEMBERS. I WOULD LIKE VERY MUCH IF YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS REMOVED ONE IN PARTICULAR++

"An entire gang...or one mutant, in particular?" Iohannes asked, certain of the answer but playing a little slow. "We might be able to address your concern. Tell us a bit more...specifically, what are the gang's assets and what might this twist have done to draw your attention?"

As Iohannes tried to draw more information from Hood he looked around the room, and motioned surrepticiously to Xufain, indicating the machinery.

Calimos
2010-09-06, 04:30 AM
Nihilius relays all relevant information to Nix and the team via his micro-bead, letting them know that certain life forms are moving to the bottom of the hab-block and appear as if traumatized or otherwise weakened and that all vermin (rats and small creatures) seem to be gone.

Then he thanks the Emperor for the insight and awaits Nix's response for further action.

Bowerbird
2010-09-06, 06:00 AM
Hack stops just short of colliding with the man. Looming over him he blocks his way out. "You. State your business. Now." he demands, looming over the man, an ominous grinding sound coming from within the steel maw.

Intimidate: [roll0] vs 52

Executus
2010-09-06, 11:50 AM
After listening to the old man's report, Nix considers the situation. "I was right to be paranoid. I was just paranoid about the wrong thing. Something else that could cook a rat like that...reminds me of the rad zones on board the Deepest Void."

The assassin bolts up from his cover position and heads for the door.

"Grab the stuff from the safe. We need to go. Now. Whatever is making all those people run, it's not an ambush. Whatever killed that rat wasn't a las blast."

He pauses at the door to make sure Nihilus is coming and fitting his filtration plugs, before moving into the hallway, sweeping for danger, and heading for the exit.

"Only a few hours and I already hate this place..."

"Darktide, Beta team. Something is awry here. We're leaving the hab."

Calimos
2010-09-06, 01:08 PM
Nihilius, responding to Nix's urgent command, makes sure the contents of the safe rest secured in his backpack, makes a last mental note of the web of information arrayed on the walls and then moves on, following Nix on the way out, always ready to react on a moment's notice.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-07, 01:01 AM
Iohannes and Xufain
++JUST THE ONE MUTANT. THE GANG HAS GUNS, THOUGH NONE ARE PARTICULARLY POWERFUL. FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DISCERN, HOWEVER, THE BIGGEST THREAT IS HOW SMART THE MUTANT IS++

With his face mostly hidden, it's difficult to read any expression Hood might have. He looks around the room as he speaks, as though watching for something.

++IT HAS TAKEN COMMAND OF A GANG CELL SURPRISINGLY QUICKLY, AND SINCE THAT HAPPENED THEY HAVE BECOME MORE EFFICIENT. MORE ORGANIZED. THEY ARE BECOMING DANGEROUS TO BUSINESS. KILL IT, AND I WILL HELP YOU++

Hood finally stops looking about, turning his gaze back towards Iohannes.

++DO WE HAVE A DEAL?++

Nix and Nihilius
Opening the door, the two acolytes nearly tripped over something lying in the hallway. It was a resident, probably a refinery worker judging by the overalls. He had curled up in the middle of the hallway after stumbling, and was whimpering softly to himself. The man's exposed skin was covered with burns.

Nihilius Only
This close to a human subject, something in Nihilius' mind clicked. The bruns looked like they could be from some dangerous environmental factor, yes, but...

Raising his own hand to look at it for a moment, the psyker nodded. This man's burns were more severe, but they were incredibly similar to the ones both acolytes had sustained from the warp storm.

OOC: You got two degrees of success on the awareness test I rolled

Hack
The fleeing man looked up at Hack, pointing back towards the Hab the others were in. "In there. Started burning, had to get out. Some sort of wind..." With the huge techpriest in his way, there was nowhere he could go, so he stopped for now.

Bowerbird
2010-09-07, 02:07 AM
Hack shoves the man aside and enters the hab block, "Radiation threat, proceed with caution." he says into the microbead, drawing his shotgun as he stomps his way towards the safehouse.

Calimos
2010-09-07, 07:03 AM
"Nihilius, here, don't think it's radiation, source is psychic. I'm probably the one to blame for unleashing this storm. Seems that what went wrong some time ago in our room, had an effect on building's population. Either that or there's another psyker in here. Building may be safe and no imminent ambush after all. Will notify on further findings".

After conferring this information via his microbead, Nihilius turns to Nix.

"Should we get back into the room and continue the evaluation of the previous' teams findings or proceed outside and rendzvous with the rest?"

OOC:
Also, requesting a Psyniscience+10 or/and a Forbidden Lore Warp/Psykers if applicable in order to try to discern with a degree of relative safety if this was caused on the aftermath of my psychic powers or if there's another source in the hab-block. Will use a FP to re-roll or get an additional degree of success if necessary.

Executus
2010-09-07, 09:19 AM
"Staying is dangerous. The disturbance may bring law enforcement down on us, but we'll have to deal with them, if they appear."

Activating his microbead, Nix tries to reach the rest of the team. "Darktide, Hack. Are you at our location? Watch the hab entrance for unwanted visitors."

Switching channels, he tries to contact Iohannes, but hears only static. "Darktide, Castell. Castell? If you receive this, we're staying on station. Out."

Turning back to the psyker, he whispers "I can't raise Iohannes. Go back inside and keep looking. I'll move this guy. We need to be ready to leave at a moment's notice."

Stowing his rifle, the assassin grabs hold of the body in their doorway and drags it in front of one the other other doors on this floor.

Feeling ill at ease as he returns to the apartment and locks the door, the nimble killer runs a hand through his hair in frustration. "Goram witches...nothing but trouble. The whole hive probably knows there's a witch about now..."

Turning his cold grey eyes on the walls of the dwelling, he understands this problem is not one he can solve. His reading skills are limited to simple bounty notices or target packets from his employers. This is all beyond him. "What can I do to assist or speed your work?"

Bowerbird
2010-09-07, 09:54 AM
Hack grinds his jaw and stops, "Fine, I will watch the door." he says into the microbead, before settling his bulk to one side of the door.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-07, 10:08 AM
Nix and Nihilius
Dumping the man from the hallway into a random hab unit, the two acolytes returned to their own. The door shut once more, they looked around the walls at the papers while Nihilius concentrated.

Warp interference, or at least the aftereffects, were everywhere. The storm's ethereal residue was playing havoc with the psyker's warpsense, he couldn't tell for sure if there was another source for the many disturbances. It seemed unlikely, though, if he knew anything about the warp. Such effects were generally random and chaotic; the probability of two psykers unleashing the same effect in the same place within five minutes of each other was astronomical.

Hack
The man stumbled out of Hack's way, and the techpriest was able to reach the Hab without any further obstruction. More people poured from the door every moment. Some looked angry, most had weapons. All of them steered well clear of the intimidating figure Hack presented.

Looking out over the crowd, Hack spotted something closing in against the backdrop of rising fumes presented by Volg. A pair of black grav-trucks of ancient manufacture, their engines screaming, ploughed through a plume of smoke. They were still a good distance out, but Hack could just barely make out the seal of the Adeptus Arbites stamped on the hoods.

Bowerbird
2010-09-07, 10:21 AM
Hack allows the crowd to change his direction so that he appears to be part of the mob, "Darktide, this is Hack, Arbites closing on your position. Recommend you exit."

Executus
2010-09-07, 10:42 AM
"Veck! You heard the ma...uh, cog. We're leaving. Doubletime."

Quickly re-sealing his hood, he activates the stealth field and moves to the door. "For a uest-filled, misbegotten cesspool, this hive's Arbites are fast."

The assassin moves off at an even jog to the hab block's entrance, allowing the the psyker to keep up. When they get to the bottom level, he tries to blend into the crowd and move away from the Arbites.

Mordar
2010-09-07, 10:44 AM
++JUST THE ONE MUTANT. THE GANG HAS GUNS, THOUGH NONE ARE PARTICULARLY POWERFUL. FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DISCERN, HOWEVER, THE BIGGEST THREAT IS HOW SMART THE MUTANT IS++

++IT HAS TAKEN COMMAND OF A GANG CELL SURPRISINGLY QUICKLY, AND SINCE THAT HAPPENED THEY HAVE BECOME MORE EFFICIENT. MORE ORGANIZED. THEY ARE BECOMING DANGEROUS TO BUSINESS. KILL IT, AND I WILL HELP YOU++

Hood finally stops looking about, turning his gaze back towards Iohannes.

++DO WE HAVE A DEAL?++

If this mutant is engaging in additional criminal activity this course of action seems to satisfy need, expediency and legality, Iohannes thought. The gangs here will likely respond with deadly force, removing any strictures or concerns about unsanctioned executions.

"I believe that we can make a bargain. Now, tell us of the twist and the coin you promised...along with the news of the Trooper," he said, trying to maintain his cover. "Anything you wish to add, Faden?" he concluded, nudging Xufain to ensure he knew he was being addressed.

Calimos
2010-09-07, 12:01 PM
Fast as lightning, Nihilius exits the room, pulls his hood above his head and proceeds to exit the building alongside Nix.

"Damn, unwanted attention is not what we need now. We'll have to wait for things to calm down before considering to bring the others to look at the information collected by the previous team. Anyway, let's move now and we'll see to our next course of action when we're on safe ground again".

ShadowMKII
2010-09-07, 07:27 PM
"No, no. Nothing to add." Said Xufain. He was busy examining the walls and machinery of the pipe they had entered and became distracted after the nudge he received.

"This all looks trivial. Basic machines for opening the pipe service door, and that's about it. Nothing too special here... though I wonder what those lockers contain."

"Damn. Why can't these microbeads be more potent?" Xufain knew that the thick, rust-rotten walls of the service access and the sewage pipe would prove too much for the weak signal of his microbead to penetrate to the outside world. "Looks like Nix and the others are going to have to wait until we get outside. Let's hope they can hold it together... though with that cold-blooded Nix I doubt they will have much of a problem."

Xufain continued to be Iohannes' sidekick of scrap metal and ripped fabric, reserving his questions until after they had dealt with the mutant threat. Hood was a curious individual to Xufain, but he knew his limits in conversation and didn't want to risk blowing anything.

Executus
2010-09-07, 08:58 PM
Jogging down the hab block stairs, the ill-fated void farer whispers back at the psyker "We'll be lucky to get out of here. I doubt we're getting back in. The Arbites will probably bust into every hab in there to find the source of your little light show. Those papers are lost to us. Hope you have a good memory..."

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-07, 09:00 PM
Nix, Nihilius and Hack
The two acolytes made their way down, the stairs just as endless this way as they were on the way up. By the time they got outside and met up with Hack, the Arbites vehicles were much closer. Doing their best to blend in with the crowd and move away, they were able to watch as the large grav-trucks came screaming down out of the sky to pull a hastily improvised landing. Ignoring the mob except when they needed to shove through them, armoured troopers poured out of the vehicles and made for the building's entrance.

Iohannes and Xufain
++I DO NOT KNOW ITS RIGHTFUL NAME. HOWEVER, I KNOW IT IS CALLED 'THE RAT,' THOUGH WHETHER THIS IS FROM APPEARANCE OR SOME OTHER TRAIT, I COULD NOT SAY. IT BELONGS TO THE LURKERS. FIND THEM, YOU FIND IT. SHALL WE SAY 1500 THRONES AND YOUR INFORMATION AS MY END?++

Executus
2010-09-07, 10:10 PM
Touching the death's head aquilla around his neck and breaks away from the crowd. "Too close..."

"We should get back to the slime pit...I mean, safe house and wait for the others. We need to lay low for awhile. Unless one of you has a better idea? " Surreptitiously scanning behind them for danger as he looks back at his companions.

Nix wants to make sure that there are no Arbites or any other sinister characters following them. Awareness: 40 + 10 : 50

Bowerbird
2010-09-07, 11:28 PM
Hack leads the way back to the Safe-house, "So, find anything?"

Calimos
2010-09-08, 04:34 AM
"Well, the previous team had set up their base of operations in that hab-block and i must say they were quite methodical in their work. I'm sure Iohaness would have enjoyed the layout, since they used much of the room's walls to pin information, relevant events, mutant sightings, reports etc in a tangling web of evidence, facts and speculation. I'm sorry that i couldn't make too much of it, but we managed to secure their logbook which hopefully will provide us more insight into these matters. Also we found a weapon, a Ripper Clip autopistol, of much better than average quality, apparently taken by a mutant who attacked the acolytes at some point lower in the Hive that could give us perhaps a lead, after you examine it. You're good with firearms evaluation, correct?"

Executus
2010-09-08, 12:21 PM
As they wind down the corridors to their scummy refuge, the cold eyed assassin considers the psyker's revelation, while continuing to watch for danger. "Hack will have to check it, but higher quality equipment would imply they have a powerful and rich backer. That would also explain why our predecessors disappeared so suddenly. It may also explain why the rest of the team has gone suddenly silent."

Switching back to the vox, he tries to contact the arbiter once again. "Beta team, respond." Receiving nothing but static, he turns to the tech priest. "Where would they have gone after leaving the Sump? We need to find out where they are, and possibly extract them. We can either go back and wait, or go looking for them. If we go looking, we need to decide if the clues we've found are safer with us or in the safe house."

Stopping to re-check his rifle's loadout, Nix looks back and forth between his teammates. "I can wait for a target to move into the open for days, but I have no patience for waiting with no clear goal. I vote we go find them."

Mordar
2010-09-08, 02:26 PM
++I DO NOT KNOW ITS RIGHTFUL NAME. HOWEVER, I KNOW IT IS CALLED 'THE RAT,' THOUGH WHETHER THIS IS FROM APPEARANCE OR SOME OTHER TRAIT, I COULD NOT SAY. IT BELONGS TO THE LURKERS. FIND THEM, YOU FIND IT. SHALL WE SAY 1500 THRONES AND YOUR INFORMATION AS MY END?++

"That seems reasonable. We'll start to have a look around - do the Lurkers have colors or an insignia? Once the problem is handeled, where do we find you?" Iohannes asked. And if we decide not to help you with your trouble in the end, what do we have to do about you... he wondered to himself.

Iohannes awaited Hood's final response then started to move toward the exit. "It's best we were heading out. We wouldn't want anyone to worry about us, now would we, Faden?"

Calimos
2010-09-08, 05:25 PM
I agree with Nix on this one. We better go find them, share what information we managed to uncover and prepare a plan for our next actions.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-08, 07:28 PM
Iohannes and Xufain
++THEY WEAR BLACK AND GREY, MOSTLY. THOSE THAT DO WEAR INSIGNIA USE A WHITE EYE++

Hood pushed himself off the cot, moving to open the door for them once more.

++WHEN YOU ARE DONE, I WILL KNOW. FIND ME AT THE SUMP++

Letting the two acolytes leave first, Hood stepped out, the door locking behind them. Then he slipped off deeper into the network of pipes, leaving them to make their own way out. As the stepped out of the hatch they had entered by, the static in their comms retreated, leaving the channels free again.

Nix, Nihilius, and Hack
Leaving the Hab and the arbites beind, the acolytes kept a close watch over their shoulders for anyone tailing them. It seemed, though, that the armoured men were more interested in the building itself than the horde of people who lived in it. Making it away safely, they stopped in the shadow of a refinery complex to plan their next move. After a moment's discussion, the majority was in favour of going to find the others. The team set off back towards the Sump, carefully skirting the Hab block to avoid unwanted attention.

Mordar
2010-09-09, 01:04 AM
"Darktide, Castellan. We've completed our task. Report location and will rendezvous ASAP," Iohannes transmitted as soon as they were free from the interference.

"Fad...Xufain, could you make anything of the equipment in Hood's bolt hole? I would appreciate the benefit of your technical expertise on that as well as any insight on his augmentations. By the way, you handled the experience admirably for your first undercover assignment," Iohannes allowed. "Many others might have asked 'Who's Faden?' or similar foolishness. COPs dictate use of aliases when entering a cover situation, and those that are similar to your own name are easiest to remember."

"To be honest," he continued, "My call-sign is not an appropriate alias, and I deviated from protocol. I was remiss and shall be more conscientious in the future."

Executus
2010-09-09, 09:05 AM
As the group heads off to rescue their "missing" colleagues, the vox chimes with an incoming message. "Understood. We were enroute to the Sump to find you. We'll head back to the slime pit and wait there. Out."

Turning to his companions, who could not be more opposite in appearance or manner, Nix whispers "Looks like they were able to extricate themselves from whatever mess they got into. Back to our slimey home after all."

Winding his way back to the safehouse, Nix's mood darkens. "So much for avoiding that filth pit. I just know that place will end up corroding my gear..."

ShadowMKII
2010-09-09, 10:10 PM
"Whew~!" sighed Xufain.

"T-thanks!" Xufain was astonished at Iohannes and how well he handled the situation by himself. "That was really hard, but I did my best! I-I didn't know what to say at times, so I just scrunched up my face and looked really mad. It l-looks like it w-worked!" Xufain couldn't have imagined getting complimented on his performance. He was both embarrassed and happy at the same time. "Maybe he likes me as a friend!"

"I... I-I think you d-did great!... You were so courageous. I d-don't think you d-did anything wrong... I... you... you were... good!" Stammered Xufain. He didn't know what to say when Iohannes started talking about his own performance. He knew he wanted him to feel good about himself, but he was too shy and didn't know how to make his words come across well.

After a couple of seconds Xufain spoke up again, though a bit quieter than before. "Nothing special. The... the machines I mean. It was nothing special. J-just doors. Ss-same with that guy... just hood. I-I-I mean!..." He was getting exhausted from all of the social pressure from before and his courageous attempt at comforting Iohannes and was beginning to get mixed up and tongue tied. "...Nothing special." He finally uttered silently.

He was glad to hear Nix's voice over the microbead and was ready to return to the stronghold. Though the adventure was brief, he was exhausted mentally and wanted nothing but sleep and his data slate to read and take notes with.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-10, 10:10 AM
Regrouping back at Hack's safehouse, the acolytes spent the next while sharing the details of their investigations around. By now it was all over that Block L had been hit by something or other, and it seemed unlikely they would be able to recover the other papers, but the journal had plenty in it already.

Going by that, new mutants had started appearing nearly two months before Team A had arrived, and a disturbing number of them had corresponding missing persons reports filed with the Arbites. Volg or not, the law still had some who bothered with keeping up pretenses of civility. Most of the mutants seemed to be appearing from the lower levels and migrating upwards. Consecutive sightings showed that none of them ever went down a level. Only up.

The autopistol, once Hack had a chance to take a look at it, was another strange matter. The gun had clearly belonged to someone with more than the usual means. The make proved that much. It had also been found in the hands of a mutant, according to the note. The only other thing Hack was able to learn in his examination was a name. "Skroll" had been crudely engraved on the handgrip of the weapon.

Then there was the matter of the Lurkers. Without any investigation, the location of the gang remained unknown.

OOC: Basically a recap, with some new information tossed in. Where are you going from here?

Mordar
2010-09-10, 01:22 PM
"It seems that our two threads might be more tightly woven than Hood expected," Iohannes opined. "We have a clear upswing in mutant appearances, some showing significant financial backing and other with the ability to inspire ability and efficiency from a previously substandard hive gang. There are missing persons reports that correlate with the appearances, suggesting that previously untainted individuals are being twisted."

Iohannes paused for a moment, reflecting on the information to date.

"I do not believe it to be out of the question that we have a concerted effort by an outside force to use mutants to sieze control of the underhive power structure by providing financial backing, a ready supply of corrupted flesh and a level of organization and efficiency previously unseen on Volg," he said, eyes focused on a distant point. "This is, of course, conjecture based on the limited evidence we have at our hands after a few hours work...but given that our patron sent us here as his second effort, perhaps it is not out of order."

"Protocol demands that I present myself to the local Precinct Command. Perhaps I could use that opportunity to acquire additional information on these missing persons. I would very much have liked to examined the Hab location. Perhaps I can arrange access to the materials, if they were confiscated," the Arbitrator continued. The change in cadence and word selection still seemed almost forced, particularly to those who had heard him speak in more social situations.

"We also need information on the Lurkers and this Rat. Hack might be best to lead that effort. Given the dangers we've seen already, though, I would prefer not to splinter our forces too greatly. What are your thoughts on the matter?" he concluded, looking around their secured site.

Executus
2010-09-10, 02:33 PM
Meeting the arbiter's eyes with his own steely gaze, Nix objects to the proposed actions.

"The Arbites here are as likely to shoot you on sight as talk to you. Remember, they are as much a gang here as any of the rest. Besides, alerting them to the presence of outsiders looking into things will only hurt our cause. They may get defensive, and hinder our investigations. They may have a leak, so our presence gets out to our enemies. They may question how you got here, or who you are working for, and it seems clear Volk has no desire to have his involvement known at this point. If you go asking about Hab L, they will learn of our presence there. They may even be complicit in the uprisings."

Stepping forward and leaning close, he lowers his voice further, so only Castell can hear.

Iohannes only.

The assassin is close enough that you can feel his hot breath as he whispers to you. "You may still have the badge of an Arbiter, but the Inquisition and our team comes first. I will not let you endanger me or our mission by your misguided sense of duty. I took a blood oath to not abandon any contract. I've accepted this one. I have to complete it, and I will eliminate anything that stands in my way. I consider you as close to a friend as I'll get in this ragged mob and I respect your skill, so I don't want to make you my enemy, but I will if you jeopardize this mission."

OOC: Nix would wait a moment, in case you want to respond, before saying the below.

As they step apart, you cannot be sure what passed between the men, but it seems not entirely friendly. "I do agree with Castell on the rest of his assessment. We need to track down the gang he learned about, and discover their hand in all of this. As conspicuous as this group is..." He glances mostly at the brutish tech priest. "...we should try to stay together, in case this boiler suddenly explodes into a full on mutant uprising. As for where to go from here, I'm not sure. Finding Skroll, Rat, or the Lurkers is probably a good first step. Checking on Hood's angle is another."

Calimos
2010-09-10, 03:16 PM
Nihilius enjoys the few moments of rest, calmness and deliberation. He sits in a corner, praying silently to the Emperor, eyes closed, hood drawn over his head, lips almost shut, clutching his aquila pendant in his hand. What happened earlier jeopardizerd their mission and denied them from a more thorough investigation, while bringing them close to harm's way as well. He should be more careful, more dedicated, more concentrated, in the future. Purer in the sight of the Emperor, so that he may be granted sufficient clarity, wisdom and strength of will to continue his efforts, to withstand the grave dangers of the Immaterium and to assist his companions meaningfully on the task at hand. He was getting calmer and perhaps more serene than in a long time....

Then, they suddenly started discussing loudly again....Ah...nevermind, they had to figure out their next course of action.

Nihilius turns his attention to the rest of the team, pulling the hood from his head and standing up. He listens intently to the conversation and the exchange of opinions and then speaks up.

"I'd have to say that i agree with Nix on this one. While i find it a very good idea to procure whatever information we can from whichever sources might be available, i still have some qualms regarding the local Arbites. I fear they may hinder our investigation instead of helping it and bring you, Iohaness, in a tight spot with no substantial gain. I think that maybe we should pursue this gang-cleansing deal you made with that "Hood" individual, since it may be a very good chance to learn about that guardsman from the missing acolyte team. Well, it aint gonna be easy for sure but i like to think that cleaning some of the scum here in Volg is a service to the Imperium as well.

Apart from that, what ignites my curiosity even more, aside from the fact that the mutants seemed to possess quite formidable weaponry, judging from the quality of that pistol, is also the fact that after their mutations and missing status, they seemed to be headed in the upper hive levels. It's still unclear in my mind why they'd do such a thing, maybe a sinister plan to corrupt the upper spires as well, but i believe that step by step we can begin to put some things in their place and access the "bigger picture" down here.

Besides, if we get involved with gang activity here, we might learn if there are any rumours regarding a cult or anything relevant to a mutant affiliated "organisation" that our Master asked us to be on the lookout about. Still, i know that the nature of my abilities and special sector of expertise isn't exactly the most useful in such investigations but i can assure you all that i'll try to the best of my abilities to assist you in any way you deem more appropriate".

ShadowMKII
2010-09-10, 04:55 PM
Heh heh, w-we're the cats... and R-rat's the rr-r-rat!" said Xufain gleefully as he looked into the huddle of his comrades. He was looking into the group with curiosity and fascination for some time now and was itching to start contributing to his team. Unfortunately, all three of the wise men turned around with blank expressions and stared at Xufain for a moment before continuing conversation. "... Maybe I shouldn't have said that."

"B-b-but I still thing we should go for Rat! We can learn more while we ch-chase him down!... L-like... like a cat... chasing a ball of s-s-string... unwinding." He was more serious now that he saw humour wasn't the group's strong point. He knew that going after something small often led to something big, and that going after the big stuff first would be troublesome. It was kind of like machinery to him - the stuff he related best to.

Mordar
2010-09-10, 06:34 PM
Nix
"Life is duty. Your vow says you believe the same," Iohannes replied quietly, his eyes hardening. "I will present myself to the Precinct Commander...but..."

"I can delay my visit for now, but I disagree with the assertion that it will be fruitless. In time I suspect we may need to access the Precinct resources," Iohannes replied, bowing to the will of the group. "Should there be a turncoat in the Arbites, however, we would be well-served to identify that individual and sanction them appropriately. Though we may be viewed as a gang by outsiders here," he continued, stressing that key word and looking towards Nix, "rest assured that the officers have been properly trained, and though some may stray from the training, most will be loyal to their Pledge."

"You reported the speed with which they responded to the threat of grevious attack at the Habitat Block. Not for profit, or for power, but because it was their duty. A gang does not act in such a fashion," the Arbitrator continued, an edge to his voice. "Rest assured that when the time comes, I will present myself there, and if a traitor lurks among the Arbitrators I will ferret him out and remind them of our code. Strenuously."

After a moment, his shoulders relaxed. His face softened at Xufain's comment. "Indeed, let us catch ourselves a Rat." Looking back towards Nix, he added "Rest assured also that I have been properly trained in the protocols for extracting information from suspects. Should we detain a Lurker we shall have our information in short order."

Executus
2010-09-10, 07:29 PM
Nodding to the determined Arbiter, Nix relaxes his stance. "I hope, for your own sake, you're right that the Arbites here are honest, but reaching out to them its still a risk of exposure. If not for us, for our lord inquisitor at least. Maybe after we have a better picture of what is going on here, the risk will be worth it."

Sitting on one of the dingy cots, the assassin begins to disassemble and clean his rifle. "That said, I think we all will follow your lead in tracking down these leads. So, how would you like to proceed?"

Mordar
2010-09-10, 08:37 PM
"Seek the criminal where his crime can be done. Hack, again I request your insight. I did not notice any individuals wearing the colors or insignia Hood specified at the Sump. Where might a less law-abiding crowd be found?" Iohannes asked.

"I believe I will require some more...local...clothing. I recommend that we consider at least some degree of immersion in appearance. That will certainly require you and I," he continued, nodding at Nix, "to conceal our larger weapons. They mark us as offworlders and are sufficiently uncommon as to render them distinguishing features. Nihilius, your sword falls into that category as well, but should be easy enough for you to camoflague."

"I recommend a meal, and then we initiate our effort to make contact with the Lurkers. Tracking them once we make contact is an option, as is detainment and interrogation. I am amenable to either option," Iohannes concluded.

Bowerbird
2010-09-10, 10:49 PM
"Well, as in most hives, the lower you go the worse the crowd. Remind me again what these gang colours were. Also were we given an area to narrow our search down to?" Hack rumbles, standing off in a corner performing maintenance on his shotgun. "Also, the weapon you showed me is of above average local make, yet the name was crudely carved in, indicating, maybe, that it wasn't originally Skroll's. I doubt there are too many gunsmiths in town who produce items of this quality. We can look there, also."

I'm making a couple of assumptions there, but they seem valid to me, lemme know if I'm out of line here. Also would there be any good armourers Hack knows of that could have made the gun?

Calimos
2010-09-11, 04:46 AM
Nihilius nods to Iohaness, unbuckles his belt, removes the sword and its scabbard from it and then proceeds to fasten it on the inside of his coat, using a set of straps that are sewn there for that express purpose.

"I think this should be enough Iohaness. Do you think it's sufficiently concealed? As for my laspistol, i'll probably keep it on the inside as well or i could even leave it in its outside holster. It's not that uncommon a weapon for such a place".

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-11, 10:47 AM
Though Hood hadn't given an area to narrow things down, they had to be in this sector of the hive somewhere if they were causing him problems. Hack knew that gangs liked to converge in more hidden places than the Sump, though. It served as a watering hole for them to get a few drinks, but their business would be conducted elsewhere. The many tunnels and disused rooms running through Volg were common choices.

Gunsmiths, on the other hand, were less common. Most of them spent their time churning out low-grade knock-offs of various gun models for cheap. The ones with the means to make quality weapons were rarer, and better paid. There were a few the techpriest could remember from his days here, but they might not even be around anymore. Best place to ask would be the locals.

Bowerbird
2010-09-11, 11:49 PM
"I will look into the maker of this weapon." Hack says, holstering his shotgun and picking up the pistol, "I should have some contacts left. I will maintain radio contact." he puts the pistol away in the folds of his robes and starts for the door, heading off to search for old contacts.

ShadowMKII
2010-09-12, 03:50 AM
Xufain's eyes lighted up momentarily at Iohannes' comment before returning back to their normal grey colour hidden underneath his shaggy black spikes of hair protruding from the partial hood of his cloak.

He continued listening while cleaning a weapon of his own - his elder's hellgun. He had been curiously examining it ever since he awoke from his 4 year coma on the escape pod he came crashing down in and made sure to keep it pristine as ever. While listening he made notes of his own in his data slate and read parts and passages that he had recorded or written before.

Executus
2010-09-12, 05:03 PM
Bowing to the Arbiter's lead in this area, Nix reassembles his kit, locking in his sight and flash suppressor. "Alright. Where can we find such rags? Is there a 'Filthy Rag Emporium' on this blighted cesspool of a world?" Finishing with a chuckle, he stands readies to move out.

"Of course, I'm sure we could liberate some from some helpful citizen or another."

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-12, 10:41 PM
Hack leaves the safehouse, looking to find some of his old contacts. For some time, he has no success, the first few contacts he tries having died or left. The team receives periodic updates on his status for roughly twenty minutes. Then, he reports having found someone, and the channel goes quiet.

Hack
Leaving the safehouse, Hack made his way downwards from there. The first place he tried was empty, its contents stolen or broken, and its owner gone. The next place he tried had been constructed over at some point, the new steel less pitted and scarred than the old. When he reached Manufactorum 88, however, he got lucky. A light was still on inside the old factory, its stacks adding the smallest trace of smoke to Volg's choked skies. The door was shut and heavily barred, a roughly painted sign advising visitors that the factory was shut down.

Moving around the back, the tech-priest found what he was looking for: A runoff duct, now long empty. Clambering through the rusting pipe, he emerged inside.

The factory floor was empty and covered with dust, low gantries just visible in the gloom overhead. Something skittered along the wall nearby. Glancing over, Hack caught a brief glimpse of a little mechanical spider, its metal claws affording it purchase on the corroded old surface.

Mordar
2010-09-12, 11:04 PM
"Nihilius, perhaps you and Xufain could look into securing us some local garments. Work garb, some of those wraps I've been seeing on a number of the residents," Iohannes asked. "That will give Nix and I a chance to reconnoiter the immediate area and be sure we've got a good handle on the tactical situation. We can regroup in 45 minutes," he finished.

Nix
Assuming Nihilius and Xufain depart
"Hack mentioned combat drugs as a primary local vice. Do you have any familiarity with them? I've not had to cross many traffickers of those particular compounds in my time, and we might be well-served by using the Lurkers greed against them. If we do, we'll need someone familiar with the merchandise to set the stage. Thoughts?" the Arbitrator asked the Assassin. He was clearly trying to bridge the earlier tension, though no less certain in the necessity and rightness of presenting himself to the Precinct...at the proper time.

Bowerbird
2010-09-12, 11:28 PM
Hack
Hack looks in the spider's direction for a moment, grunts and moves on, keeping an eye out for it in his peripheral vision as he makes his way deeper into the factory.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-13, 12:40 PM
Hack
The spider quickly skittered back out of view, off to hide in whatever dark corner it could find. As he moved inwards, Hack increasingly felt as though he was being watched. Looking up at the lighted windows of the office overhead, he saw a silhouette pass in front of one of them.

Clanking heavily up a steel staircase, the steps groaning ominously beneath his weight, the techpriest ascended. He was greeted at the top by the upper half of a servitor, its body roughly bolted to the wall. It tracked him with its head, lenses fitted into its eye sockets betraying no emotion.

"S/s/state your purpose" Its voice was mechanical and old, age and use having worn out the vox unit sutured to its chest.

Executus
2010-09-13, 01:00 PM
Iohannes
Looking slightly offended, the assassin responds. "I'm not one of those uncontrolled maniacs, frothing at the mouth from combat stimms. When I eliminate a target, it is as a surgeon wielding a scalpel. I need a clear mind and steady hand to execute my targets."

Seeming to pause and consider further, Nix continues. "However, I do have some knowledge of the underworld. It's possible I could locate some or at least determine a source we could throw as a bone. Let's go see what we can find."

Destro/Mordar:

I'm assuming Common Lore (Underworld) can at least point us in the right direction. I'm not sure if Inquiry would be more appropriate, so I'll roll both, although Inquiry is a bit of a hail mary. Otherwise, Iohannes will have to use his investigative skills to find something.

Common Lore Target: 30
[roll0]

Inquiry: 8
[roll1]

Bowerbird
2010-09-13, 01:27 PM
Hack
"I have come to see the armourer." Hack says, his deep voice echoing throughout the empty hall.

Calimos
2010-09-13, 02:07 PM
"Nihilius, perhaps you and Xufain could look into securing us some local garments. Work garb, some of those wraps I've been seeing on a number of the residents," Iohannes asked. "That will give Nix and I a chance to reconnoiter the immediate area and be sure we've got a good handle on the tactical situation. We can regroup in 45 minutes," he finished.

"Sure thing, Iohannes. We'll see what we can procure from the nearby areas. We'll be in touch via microbead in case anything interesting occurs".

Nihilius checks his cloak, puts his hood over his head and gestures to Xufain to follow.
"Come on Xufain, let's see the latest clothing trends in Volg Hive", he adds with a grin and moves outside.

ShadowMKII
2010-09-13, 09:09 PM
"O-okay." Replied Xufain nervously.

Xufain, in jitters from his sudden draw of attention, scampered up from the ground. He held his precious gun out to the side with one hand and slowly, almost snake-like with its fluid and mellifluous movements, came a servo arm from within his bulking cloak. It gently grabbed the tool of war and slowly retracted into the hulking, concealed mass behind Xufain, as if it were a living, breathing creature of it's own hidden behind a veil.

Xufain then quickly bumbled over to Nihilius and walked with him by his side, a step behind him. Xufain looked up cautiously with a weak smile and then put his head down, following the aged psyker out of the stronghold.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-14, 01:27 AM
Hack
The servitor clicked and whirred, internal machinery processing Hack's request. Augmented human, B/b/b/bore Pattern Helot Augmetics. Adamantine jaw, extensive Me/me/mechanicus-restricted implants. Estimated threat level Majoris, all security systems online/all systems online. Proceed with caution. Armourer-Magos Caedo will be with you shortly.

The machine dropped back into silence, its head scanning slowly back and forth. Hack moved slowly past, looking all around the factory. Ahead, a door hung off its hinges, a dent in the heavy steel suggesting it had been smashed open at some point. The mechanical spider he had seen earlier, or one similar to it, clambered up over the gantry and skittered through the door. Through the door, lights clicked on. Stepping inside, Hack was met by a staggering array of components, servos and coils strewn across every available surface. He picked out several separate instances of movement amongst the disarray, spiders watching silently as they moved around.

"Here to see me?" The voice came through the only other door to the room, the clunking whir of active servos preceding a hunched figure in tattered robes. The man's face was long gone, replaced with polished steel augmetics. Twin lenses like those on the servitor glinted under his hood.

Nix and Iohannes
Staying at the safehouse as the others departed, the arbitrator and the assassin were left to decide their next moves alone.

Nihilius and Xufain
The task of finding some local clothing proved to be easy. While Volg had no real clothing shops, like one might find on a more prosperous and upscale world of the Imperium, there was still the spaceport. Having made their way back up there, the task of finding discarded cloth proved ridiculously simple. From cleaning rags soaked in oil to old and unused acid sheets to protect the more delicate equipment from Volg's weather, there was plenty to choose from.

OOC: Give me a list of what sort of things you want. I'll tell you what you can get.

Bowerbird
2010-09-14, 02:20 AM
Hack
"Yes. I wish to know the origins of this gun, so that I might find out who purchased it." Hack says, drawing the pistol, careful to hold it by the barrel with the grip facing the Armourer, "and potentially, where to find them. I was hoping you might be of some help in this regard?" he does not yet extend his hand with the gun, keeping it close until the smith's reply.

OOC:
Do I make a roll for this?
[roll0] vs whatever skill is appropriate.

Executus
2010-09-14, 08:47 PM
While waiting for the Arbiter to decide on their next move, Nix went to check on the tunnel entrance to their safehouse. "Emperor's Blood! I hate it here, but I won't have my throat slit by some putrid hive mutant crawling up from these tunnels."

We never did take a good look at these tunnels. How big is the grate? Man-sized? Is there a ladder or cord of some kind that could be used to climb up? Can Nix see how far down it goes?

Awareness target: 40 + 10 (Heightened Senses) = 50

Using magnoculars, if appropriate, and photo contacts give dark sight, so darkness shouldn't be a problem.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-15, 12:10 PM
Hack
"Possibly, yes. Let me see it." Extending his hand, the man took the gun and turned it over, examining it for any signs of who might have made it. "Hmmm..."

Looking up, the man's augmetic eyes refocused on Hack. "Where did you find this? It's fine work. Better than most of the dross that filters through here. It's not one of mine, but I recognize the make."

Passing the gun back, he continued. "Would have been Vorken made this. Only one I ever knew used grade 3 bolts on a firearm. He's dead, though. Died a few months ago."

Nix
Investigating the grating, Nix peered through the gaps in the metal. The tunnel below extended downwards for a distance of around 5 meters before branching off to either side. Thin iron rungs had been bolted roughly to the tunnel wall, making a serviceable ladder for anyone wishing to get down, but fortunately it was unlikely anyone would come up the same way. The locking bar held the grate firmly shut. You'd need a lascutter to get up this way, but getting down would be a simple matter of removing the bar.

Xufain and Nihilius
The acid-sheets were first off the list. The acolytes found a few old ones piled behind some crates that had been torn quite badly. They were useless for large objects, but anything smaller would be covered well by the thick material. Nihilius found a storage locker for dockworkers containing several pairs of overalls, and Xufain spent some time collecting bits of stray cloth wrappings. It took a while, but by the time twenty minutes had passed they had a pile of clothing and rags that would make a good start on looking like the locals.

Bowerbird
2010-09-15, 12:27 PM
Hack
Hack takes the gun back and puts it back in it's pocket deep in his robes, "I have been... Away. It was found amongst the possessions of an acquaintance, not his, spoils of battle. He is missing, I was hoping to track down this gun's original owner for clues. Do you know of any way I might find this information?"

OOC: [roll0] vs Appropriate skill (Likely awful) EDIT: Yeah that's a fail. I assume these'd be Charm or Inquiry, which is either half Fel or half Int, which means 20 tops.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-16, 11:29 AM
Hack
"I'm afraid not. Did your friend tell you who he got it from? Spoils of battle have to come from somewhere, after all." The robed man moves over to a workbench, his many spiders watching Hack with their lenses. "And there are too many battles here to work with generalities."

Bowerbird
2010-09-16, 11:48 AM
Hack
"No. The only hint I have is the name on the gun, Skroll. Do you know this name?" Hack remains where his is, his hands at his sides.

Inquiry (If necesary): [roll0] vs 21

Calimos
2010-09-16, 01:58 PM
Having acquired the pieces of clothing they were looking for, Nihilius is heading back to the safehouse, observing carefully every detail in the population and scenery of Volg, in order to make a better mental image of it, discern anything suspicious and possibly understand something more about this entagled web of a case that they're called to solve. He also extends his gaze beyond the material world, seeking any psychic imprint or echo of the immaterium on either the clothes they recovered or the area surrounding them.

Requesting an awareness (vs 42) as well as a psyniscience (vs 52) test

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-17, 09:22 AM
Hack
"I don't. And without more information, I can't help you further. Unless, of course, you're interested in making a purchase. That, I could help you with." The man looks up from his workbench, his metal face impassive. "You look perfectly capable of handling yourself, but Volg is dangerous. Especially lately."

Nihilius Only
Nothing appeared to either the psyker's normal senses, or his more abnormal ones. The warp had returned to the relative calm the psyker had seen earlier, before the incident in the Hab. The clothes and items they had taken were plain, it seemed, and largely unconnected to anything specific.

Bowerbird
2010-09-17, 12:00 PM
Hack
"I am currently too low on credits to afford new hardware, unfortunately. I will remember you for any future transactions, however. What is it you mean by lately? Have things gotten worse?" he shrugs when he mentions his lack of funds, but remains otherwise motionless.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-17, 07:46 PM
Hack
"Somewhat. There are more mutants around, it seems, especially at night. I have my servitors for protection, but my guns I sell. Can never have too many guns here." Leaving the bench behind, the man moved back towards Hack. "Some freindly advice, for a potential future customer. Make sure you have somewhere safe to hide when night falls."

Bowerbird
2010-09-17, 08:52 PM
Hack
"Thank you. I'll try and stay alive. I must be going. But before I go, you said that this gun was made by Vorken? Where was he located?" Hack says, starting slowly towards the door.

OOC: How close is it to nightfall?

Executus
2010-09-18, 10:02 AM
Moving away from the locked drain gate, Nix settles down on one of the cots to await the return of the team.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-18, 10:22 AM
Hack
"Kept a few shops. You want the one he died at though, you start with Hab Block BH." Though the man's face remained impassive, Hack thought he might be smiling if he could, and evilly at that. BH had a grim reputation even before the techpriest had left.

Bowerbird
2010-09-18, 11:11 AM
Hack"Ah. Very well I shall check there. Did you here what killed him?" Hacks asks, making his way to the exit.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-18, 11:18 AM
Hack
The man shakes his head. "I only heard he died."

Hack nods and turns away, moving out past the servitor at the top of the stairs. Skittering follows him through the dimness of the factory, little metal spiders watching to ensure that he leaves.

Getting back out the way he came in, Hack looks up at the sky of Fenksworld. It had begun to dim already, the sun having passed the pit Volg rested in some time ago. Long shadows stretched along the far side of the hive, making the outlines of the structures even harder to discern.

OOC: Nightfall is a few hours away. You arrived around Noon, and Night comes early on Volg. Also, if Hack has any further questions, I shall edit

Bowerbird
2010-09-18, 11:22 AM
Hack calls the rest of the group on the microbead, "This is Hack, I have some information. Night is falling, best to keep to the slime pit. On my way now." he says, as he stomps along the gantries heading back to the group's safehouse.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-18, 11:41 AM
Hack and the others arrive back to the safehouse at around the same time. The tech-priest's walk was longer, and he was slower, but the others had spent some time searching. Gathering inside, the acolytes met to share their findings. Xufain and Nihilius had gathered a good-sized pile of old overalls and acid-resistant sheeting from the spaceport, but Hack's news was more interesting.

As the techpriest began his story, the lights in the hive outside flickered on, dim little bulbs spreading pools of light around the hive. Night was coming fast...

OOC: Leaving it up to you to relate Hack's findings, Bowerbird

Bowerbird
2010-09-18, 01:19 PM
Hack makes sure all the doorlocks are secure before turning to address the group, "The gun was made by a smith named Vorken, though he died a few months ago, which should be around the time the previous team was around. He died over in Hav Block BH. BH has a reputation for danger for as long as I can remember. Perhaps there we might find some of our answers. Oh, and at night the mutants come out, it's probably a good idea to keep to the hole."

Calimos
2010-09-18, 02:15 PM
Nihilius sits as comfortably as possible in his corner, inside the safehouse, listening intently to Hack's investigation outcome and relative information, clinging absently to his small aquilla and silently reciting prayers to maintain if possible a little serenity in these troubled days. After Hack finishes, the old psyker acknowledges his effort with a nod of his head and speaks up.

"It seems then that we've got our new place to search and from what i make from your description it will be quite a hell-hole indeed. Nevertheless it's progress, it's another clue on the thin string of information that we follow since our arrival and we cannot let it go unchecked. I'd be ready to move on first light since you mentioned that mutant activity increases through the night, but i can't help but to think of another approach to our situation as well. What if some of us or all of us were to move during night, blending in with the locals and possibly locate some spots of that increased mutant activity. Maybe, just maybe, we could track the presence of those mutants back to some sort of place they could possibly use as a base of operations, which could be - Emperor willing - connected with the alleged cult activities that might take place in Volg. I'd be fine with either course of action as well as with a combination of both of them, though i'd advise that we move all together as a team in either case, since it seems the threat level of the place will rise, whichever course we'll follow".

Bowerbird
2010-09-18, 10:21 PM
Hack regards the psyker for a moment, "Interesting.. Maybe we could capture and interrogate one instead? It might be easier than trying to follow them."

Mordar
2010-09-19, 12:52 AM
"Certainly an interesting option to consider. Given the increased frequency of mutant appearances, however, I believe there is a good chance that the one we might sieze would be unaffiliated either with the Rat or those that engaged the original team," Iohannes opened, sorting through the items Nihilius and Xufain had procured.

"I recommend we hold that plan in reserve...it certainly does hold the possibility of granting us significant intelligence, particularly if all of the new twists are from a uniform source," the Arbitrator continued, trailing off. "Perhaps the Rat will provide us with both options when we locate it..."

Bowerbird
2010-09-19, 01:01 AM
"Hrm.. at any rate, I was considering going out for provisions, do we need anything? Like food or such? I will be fine with a brief trip upstairs." Hack checks his weapons over as he speaks.

Executus
2010-09-19, 12:38 PM
"I agree with Castell. Blundering about in the dark with no clear purpose is unlikely to find us anything but problems. We should check out BH, after a rest. When you're on the job, you have to rest when you can. Doesn't help to be fatigued during a fire fight."

Turning to Hack, he says "If the mutant problem is as bad as you heard, going out alone is not a good idea. I agree with our psyker on that much. I'm sure anything we need can wait until morning."

His opinion given, the assassin finds a pair of coveralls that fit reasonably well and gathers a length of cloth to wrap his rifle in, taking care not to damage it and leaving it quickly accessible.

Calimos
2010-09-19, 01:02 PM
"Sleep well then. I'll take the first watch. Need to pray some more and stay vigilant, for even in here we may not be safe considering the night activities on Volg. I'll wake up the next one after a few hours".

Nihilius moves closer to the door of the safehouse, performing a check on his weapons and sits by the door, murmuring some litanies. After a while his face looks more serene, yet the harshness in his features doesn't dissapear entirely.

Like back then in the Imperial Guard. Watching over commanders then, watching over comrades now. May Your Eternal Light guide me, to protect them and their souls from the perils of the warp, from the machinations of the enemy, from the claw of heretics, for the path is difficult and the price of failure terrible. Grant me the clarity of mind and purity of soul to serve you unerringly, Immortal Emperor of Mankind and let any danger lurking for my comrades befall to me instead. For i am a servant, bound to You. Every servant has his place, no matter how lowly or modest. To know it is his greatest comfort, to excel within it is his greatest solace, and his master's contentment is his greatest reward. To exact Your righteous and holy work, to find Your missing servants, to guard my companions. To stand true in the face of every horror, to endure every hardship and torture, till i reach Your Golden Throne and rest by Your side for all eternity.

Bowerbird
2010-09-19, 01:02 PM
Hack remains standing and turns to the Arbitrator, "Of us all I need the least rest, and am most familiar with the area. I can report on just how dangerous it is at night. All I ask is for someone to keep an ear to the vox if I need back in."

Mordar
2010-09-19, 03:26 PM
Hack remains standing and turns to the Arbitrator, "Of us all I need the least rest, and am most familiar with the area. I can report on just how dangerous it is at night. All I ask is for someone to keep an ear to the vox if I need back in."

"I recommend you stay in the vicinity. That will minimize our response time if you should require assistance," Iohannes responded, his voice even. His instincts were twitching a bit at Hack's desire to be out and about despite the risks. Probably just wants to check out his old home some more, he concluded.

"We'll monitor comms. In fact, Xufain, any chance you can boost our equipment to pick up other vox traffic? Might be useful to know who else is operating in the area."

"Tomorrow we'll look into the Lurkers and Block BH," he continued, looking at Nix. "Maybe the Emperor will smile on us and we'll be able to wrap things up here in a day or two."

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-19, 08:26 PM
Hack
Leaving the safehouse once more, Hack wandered the twisting passages of Volg nearby, looking for provisions. Specifically, provisions of the unique variety his metabolism required. Volg was the perfect place for him, with all its death. There was very little chance his victims would be missed.

After around five minutes, the techpriest thought he saw something watching him from the shadows...

Everyone Else
Waiting for Hack's return, most of the acolytes prepared to rest. Xufain was happily fiddling with his commbead, trying to see if he could strengthen the signal per Iohannes' request. With only one mattress, the little room seemed more than a little unsuited for permanent habitation. Some of them would need to sleep on the floor.

Bowerbird
2010-09-20, 01:51 AM
Hack
If Hack had a regular jaw he probably would have had trouble concealing the predatory grin. His hands buried deep in his robes, seemingly for warmth, grip the stock of his shotgun as he continues to wander apparently aimlessly, as if lost. He watches the shadows out of the corner of his eye, trying to make out how big a threat it seemed to be.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-20, 10:53 AM
Hack
Wandering aimlessly, Hack keeps an eye on the shadowy figure. It stays in darkness the whole time, sometimes flicking out of view for a moment before appearing again. It doesn't seem to be very good at hiding itself, trusting mostly to the near-darkness to keep it hidden.

One of the lights nearby flickers as Hack approaches, protesting the lack of routine maintenance. With a pop it goes out, and in the sudden darkness Hack can hear swift footsteps as the thing following him charges.

Expecting as much, the techpriest quickly turns to face it, a large pipe going whistling past the space his head had just occupied to clang noisily off the iron railing behind him. The first thing Hack noticed about the creature was its eyes. It had six of them, black insectoid things, lined up over a mouth bristling with jagged teeth.

Rolls to hit [roll0]
and for damage if it's needed. [roll1]

fails to hit.

Bowerbird
2010-09-20, 11:43 AM
Hack
Turning to face his attacker in the flickering light of the corridor, Hack draws the shotgun from his voluminous robes as he takes a short step back and fires at the shadowy figure.

WS: [roll0] vs 36 (+30 for Point Blank if applicable)
Damage: [roll1]+6

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-20, 12:07 PM
Hack
Stepping back, Hack brought his Volg-made weapon to bear. The shotgun roared, all three barrels discharging, as the club swung around again, knocking Hack's arm down. Hack was saved from injury by his tough augmetics. His opponent was not so lucky. The blast from the meat hammer demonstrated aptly how the weapon had got its name, reducing the mutant's leg to little more than ground meat. Collapsed awkwardly to one side, his inhuman screaming replaced the deafening blast of Hack's gun for only a moment before he fell silent, thick red blood staining the metal where he had fallen and dripping down to the levels below...

Hack was alone once again.

Bowerbird
2010-09-20, 12:12 PM
Hack
With a satisfied grunt Hack swiftly reloads his shotgun before dragging the corpse of the beast someplace more private, and well lit. He puts as much distance between where he killed it and himself as possible whilst still remaining nearby to the safehouse. He spends a moment in the light to examine the extent of the creature's mutation, and whether or not it was still alive.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-20, 01:04 PM
Hack
Grunting slightly from the effort, Hack hauled his new friend some distance away from the site of the scuffle. It wasn't likely that anyone would come to investigate, but it was always best to be safe.

Upon closer inspection, the mutant's only mutations seemed to be the eyes and mouth. It looked like it had once had a nose, but that had been either melted or cut off at some point in the past, and had healed over. The rest of it looked human enough. For clothing, it wore only rags that looked as though they may have started their life as a jumpsuit of some sort. It was also very much deceased, as evidenced by the cessation of bloodflow out of its former leg.

Bowerbird
2010-09-20, 01:48 PM
Hack
Hack begins methodically preparing the corpse for ideal consumption, removing any clothes, inspecting the wounds for any removable buckshot before using his knife and occasionally the breacher to chop the corpse into managable pieces. Hack eats his fill, feeding chunks of the body into his blender-like bionics, starting with the pieces less likely to contain buckshot. Should any of the corpse remain once he has eaten his fill he bundles it up in the rags it was wearing and dumps them in some dingy section of the hive.
If at all possible Hack sees about picking up some normal food for the others before heading back to the Hole.

Will it blend? Mutant dust, don't breathe this. OM NOM NOM! :smalltongue:

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-20, 02:38 PM
Hack
Eating what he can, and leaving the rest behind, Hack returns to the safehouse after stopping to check for food for the others. The only place he had been able to find that still had its doors open was a questionable little hole in the wall selling some sort of cheap food-starch, probably derived from a similar source to the techpriest's own meals.

Rations in tow, he makes it back to the safehouse without further incident, the door closing behind him as the last of the natural light departs, plunging Volg into darkness.

Everyone
Hack didn't leave the other acolytes waiting long. The techpriest arrived back just before nightfall, with several packs of starch rations. Explaining that those had been all he could find the techpriest shares them around, and the group settles in for the night. Those who keep the watch hear faint noises passing by outside, and filtering up from the tunnels below, but nothing comes to check the safehouse.

[hr]

Morning arrives bleak and raining, water splattering down from above, soaking the walkways and hampering visibility. Across the hive nothing is visible, nearby towers looming out of the downpour while further ones vanish like ghosts. From the grating in the safehouse comes the sound of running water, the rains funneling down through the tunnels by some unknown source.

Mordar
2010-09-20, 02:51 PM
Iohannes had always liked the rain on Verdus III. It was seldom pounding, or frigid, but most commonly soft and cleansing. Nothing like the ashen, dirty drops that fell in a hive like this. The smell of life that accompanied the rain on the agri-world was replaced with the taste of oil and grit.

"Hack, will these rains last long? Do we have any concerns about drainage or flooding to contend with? Most importantly, will they pose any risk, driving our quarry into hiding?" Iohannes asked the big techpriest, thoughts of acid rain drifting through his mind.

The array of materials Nihilius and Xufain had collected seemed likely to help the group blend into the grey haze of Volg, but wouldn't stand up to any drenching by a low pH precipitant. Still, arranging them over his light armor, the Arbitrator felt somewhat more protected from the industrial rain.

OOC
Assuming it is safe to be outside, as seems referenced in the narrative, Iohannes is for making our collective way to investigate the Lurkers and the new Hab-Block target.

Calimos
2010-09-20, 05:14 PM
"Ready when you are gentlemen".

Nihilius, despite staying on the watch for a long part of the previous night, seems strangely becalmed and in a rather decent mood, considering his usual demeanour. He eats a bit, thanking Hack for the rations. Heck he had to eat much worse things while in the dark holds of sepulchre and surely his prolonged service in the Imperial Guard during wartime didn't give him the chance to taste any delicate cuisine either. Then he puts some of these rags over his coat, to cover him enough and give him the impressions of a local, draws his hood over his head - fething rain - and stands ready by the safehouse's door.

Executus
2010-09-20, 05:16 PM
In light of the rain, Nix grabs a length of the acid resistant sheeting to cover himself and his equipment.

"Fierfek. From the various smells and oozes around here, the rain must be very foul. It might be wise to use this thicker sheeting as a rain cover."

Securing all his items, the lean man prepares to head out.

"Do we have a plan, other than killing any mutants we find? I'm all for that, as long as someone else is kicking in the door."

Mordar
2010-09-20, 05:28 PM
"Do we have a plan, other than killing any mutants we find? I'm all for that, as long as someone else is kicking in the door."

"I believe we're best served by continuing our tour of the Pits of Volg. Perhaps a long, meandering trip to Hab Block BH that will allow us to assess some of these gathering points and see if we can locate the Lurkers," Iohannes replied. "Hack, Xufain and Nihilius in one group, Nix and I trailing behind. It may make it appear as if the two of us are 'casing' you if the five of us are connected at all."

"We can stop at any points Hack indicates are likely to bear Lurker fruit, and even if we are unsuccessful, we will still be able to investigate the source of the weapon you two secured," he concluded, nodding towards Nix and Nihilius.

Executus
2010-09-21, 02:48 PM
"Works for me."

Bowerbird
2010-09-21, 07:57 PM
"Very well. I will take you to BH." Hack says, opening the door and heading out into the chemical haze of Volg's morning. He does as best he can showing them the requested sights.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-22, 02:38 AM
leaving the safehouse behind, the acolytes donned their rags and headed down into the hive, the acid sheeting keeping off the worst of the rain. Water spewed from the drains mounted into the hive walls, tumbling down out of sight. The rain stung exposed skin, causing the group to pull their rags further over themselves. Looking for all the world like denizens of Volg, they slipped through the shadows. Few were out in this weather, and most preferred to keep to what gantries had covers, the rain splattering off the corrugated metal and occasionally making it through some corroded out hole.

The first bolt-hole the acolytes checked was empty. The second was empty as well, but showed signs of recent occupation. A storage crate filled with grey and black clothing had been tipped over, its contents strewn across the floor. The ventilation cover for a large duct that bisected the room had been removed and tossed hastily aside. A quick look inside revealed nothing of interest. The Lurkers had been here, but they had left in a hurry.

BH Block was next on the list. The rockcrete and metal structure was identical to all the other habs they'd seen, or it would have been if it was all intact. The top levels had been caved in, rainwater spilling over twisted girders and broken stone. Large cracks ran down the hab's facade, glimpses of the dingy interior barely visible through some of the lower ones. The front door was bent but serviceable, the activation rune on the control panel mounted to the wall glowing softly. Graffiti of varying sorts covered the outside, including the door. One which looked recent was scrawled on the steel of the door in white: an eye symbol.

Bowerbird
2010-09-23, 01:40 PM
Hack keeps his rust red robes, and refuses all offers for a change of clothing. The rain doesn't appear to hinder him in the slightest as they trudge their way along the gantries. When they reach the bolthole with the clothing box he speaks, "We should gather those, they could be uniforms, or gang colours." When faced with the door to BH he turns to the others, "We going in the standard way?"

Executus
2010-09-23, 02:29 PM
Looking up at the tech priest, Nix raises an eyebrow quizzically. "I wasn't aware we had a 'standard' way. I think you and the arbiter should go in first to spring the trap, er...I mean lead the way. Nihilus and I will follow. Mumbles can bring up the rear," indicating the silent, hunched tech priest with a gesture.

"The real question is, do we go in hot, expecting trouble, or are we trying to keep a low profile?" Checking his rifle under the acid-resistant cloth, it's clear the dark eyed man thinks it will be needed soon.

Mordar
2010-09-23, 07:15 PM
Prior to approaching the door to the damaged building, Iohannes scanned the perimeter for surviellance, electronic or human. "Any criminal organization that has been 'intelligently directed' will monitor ingress into their operations. Nix, Nihilius, do either of you see any such surviellance?"

OCC

[roll0] vs 60 (Search 50 + Heigthened Senses 10 = 60)

If nothing is detected, Iohannes proceeds as below. If electronic or human surviellance is in place and detected, please ignore the following text.

"I had hoped to work through a street-level Lurker to gather intelligence, either through subterfuge or interrogation, prior to any assault, but perhaps the time for that has passed," the Arbitrator mused. "Nihilius, can you provide me with an estimate of the number of individuals within that building?" he asked, nodding towards the crumbling Hab Block.

Calimos
2010-09-24, 07:58 AM
Nihilius nods towards Iohannes and moves at the head of the group, near the entrance to the Hab-block.

"I'll be on it in a minute. Just step back, pray to the Emperor and watch out in case something goes wrong. Hopefully it won't but you can never be too careful".

Nihilius then reaches to one of pockets and grasps firmly a small aquilla he uses as a psy-focus. The symbol of the Imperium is evidently the work of a great smelter and bears tiny symbols of obscure origin, engraved upon it. His other hand rest on the inside of his coat, upon the hilt of his mercy blade, an engraved long dagger he carries ever since his induction to the Scholastica Psykana Calixis. A last resort, a desperate measure, to be used only on the direst of circumstances when his vigilance fails and the warp with its malevolent entities overwhelm him completely.

Nihilius begins praying, preparing his mind and soul to immerse himself in the endless sea of the Immaterium, trying to calm, focus and control the surging energies of the Warp, in order to provide his companions with further insight on their target and detection avoidance. He prays fervently to God-Emperor to help him control the energy of the Warp, safeguard his soul and protect his companions, his blood vessels almost bursting with the concentration effort, and then his eyes roll back and he is a conscious conduit of the tremendous potential of the Warp, channeling it into reality.

Nihilius uses the Invocation(WP)+10 skill. Then he tries to manifest Sense Presence and after that, another Invocation test and effort to manifest White Noise.

1) Invocation test+10: [roll0] vs 75
Sense presence power roll: [roll1] +6 (if invocation succeeds) Threshold 7. Result: 17, power manifests, 2 degrees overbleed, detection range increased by 20 metres.

2) Invocation test+10: [roll2] vs 75
White Noise power roll: [roll3] +6 (if invocation succeeds) Threshold 8. Result:13 , power manifests, 1 degree overbleed. (sorry for initial mistake in the invocation skill, had written it wrongly, thinking i had it +20 while i had it +10, due to psy focus. Nothing changes with powers though.
Both powers sustained.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-24, 11:12 AM
Standing outside the building, the acolytes huddle under a rusted awning attached loosely to a nearby wall. Their clothing and rags drip onto the dry ground beneath their feat, the soft plinks of water drowned out by the rain pouring down just outside their current shelter.

Iohannes Only
Iohannes looks about the hab with a practiced eye, noting multiple locations someone could be hiding and watching. Pict-screens were likely too expensive and hard to get for a street level gang like the Lurkers, which fit with the fact he wasn't seeing any. But.. that half collapsed room over there...

Squinting to get a closer look, Iohannes was sure he saw something in the shadows shift slightly.

Nihilius Only
Testing the paths of the etherium once more, Nihilius masked their presence from electronic sensors. At the same time, he sent his sight questing outwards, illuminating the souls within the building. There was one hiding high up, under the 'roof' of a half-collapsed room. There were others inside, but the walls played havoc with his senses. He couldn't tell exactly how many, or where, except that there were none in the room directly opposite the door they were facing.

Calimos
2010-09-24, 11:40 AM
"Multiple contacts inside the building. None in the room directly beyond the door. One hiding up in the building's roof-under a half-collapsed room. Others difficult to discern. Building walls pose too much interference. Awaiting orders".

Nihilius, almost gasping from the effort, reports the results of his warp-enhanced scanning of the hab-block, relaying them fast and curtly, as if he was once again back in his days of service in the Imperial Guard, or during his training in Temple Calix, while all information relay had to be fast and accurate, leaving no second to waste since even the slightest inattention or laxity could have dire consequences. The cold determination, resembling truly the coldness of the void among the stars returns to the elder psyker's face and his hand rests upon the hilt of his blade, while he conducts a last effort to uncover any other sort of psychic interference apart from the hampering due to the building itself.

Requesting a psyniscience test (vs 52) as well, to be certain that no psychic threats (besides myself that is:smallwink:) exist inside that building, perhaps tampering with his efforts and posing a significant danger to their deployment.

Mordar
2010-09-24, 11:57 AM
"Yes, I see him. Do not look in that direction," the arbitrator directed. "He will need to be addressed, promptly and quietly. As Hack, Xufain and I are ill-suited for that kind of subtlety, you two will have to handle it," he said, reaching out to shake the hand of Nix and Nihilius in turn, and acting for all the world as if they were about to part company.

"The three of us will head off down that way until we are out of sight, and the two of you can move past his position and then circle back to handle the issue. Subdual and capture is acceptable if possible," he concluded, clapping Xufain on the shoulder and directing him gently in the way he wished the two techpriests to move. "Remember the code words - fallen, rest, arc," he finished with smile and nod at the assassin and psyker.

Bowerbird
2010-09-24, 12:52 PM
"If you are sure this is the best course of action. I am all for going in guns blazing personally." Hack says, remaining motionless looking from Iohannes and Xufain to Nix and Nihilius.

Executus
2010-09-24, 01:08 PM
Not sure why Iohannes was trying to shake his hand, the assassin simply shrugged and went along. "Seems a bit touched in the head..."

Not liking being exposed in front of the doorway, Nix was scowling as he whispered a response to the Arbiter. "If that's a lookout, he'll tell someone that we entered the building, whether it's five of us or just two. Now, if you're asking me to take him out, I can possibly line up a shot from one of these other buildings and the silencer may keep them from noticing. But, if I don't get him clean, there's more than one, or someone comes to check on him, they'll know we are coming for sure."

The coveralls are uncomfortable, itchy, and have a pungent odor. Shifting his weight uncomfortably as he continues to look around, he continues in a whisper. "I have nothing against killing a man, and even less if he's a filthy mutant. Interrogation and investigation is your show, so I want to make sure you know what you're asking."

Mordar
2010-09-24, 01:17 PM
"If that's a lookout, he'll tell someone that we entered the building, whether it's five of us or just two. Now, if you're asking me to take him out, I can possibly line up a shot from one of these other buildings and the silencer may keep them from noticing. But, if I don't get him clean, there's more than one, or someone comes to check on him, they'll know we are coming for sure."

"I wasn't suggesting that you enter the building. If you can gain ingress to that room from the outside and incapacitate the sentry, that would be optimal. If not, we must eliminate any advance warning to the occupants of the building before," Iohannes paused, looking to Hack, "going in with guns blazing."

"I trust the two of you to handle that via any appropriate means. The Lurkers are confirmed as a criminal organization and as such, COPs allow for appropriate application of force without additional authorizations."

"Now, he's up there watching us, so what he must see is two groups amicably parting company and heading off in opposite directions, lest he consider us a threat and alert his superiors," he concluded, noticing the slight hesitation in Nix's response to his offered hand.

Executus
2010-09-24, 03:24 PM
"Done."

Turning to walk away with the psyker, Nix begins searching for a likely location with a view of the collapsed floor. "If you have any better ideas, let me know. Otherwise, I'm going to perform long range neurosurgery," he whispers with a smirk.

Calimos
2010-09-24, 04:53 PM
"Nothing in particular i'm afraid Nix. Lead the way. I can only try to enhance my chances of avoiding detection, but i can assure you that i can deal with our "sentry" summarily if we come to this.

Oh, there might be something i could do, in case we could make him look upon me but i think it may be pretty twisted. And sure as hell he won't be on best shape for an interrogation after that. More like become a drooling half idiot shaking and mumbling nonsense".

For a second there Nihilius's eyes seem to darken a bit more than usual and a thin grin shows upon his lips. He suppresses it fast though and turns to Nix, awaiting his response and the advised course of action.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-24, 08:24 PM
Volg, being a hive, has more than its share of good places to hide. Nix spots a likely looking location on a nearby landing. A pile of metal debris from a collapsed awning similar to theirs blocks most of it from view, but a careful sniper could probably fit the barrel of his weapon through one of any number of cracks.

Executus
2010-09-24, 09:03 PM
Spotting a good vantage point, Nix checks for onlookers before settling in to position. "Watch my back," he whispers to Nihilus.

Taking a few moments, he arranges the cover to conceal his position as well as provide a clear view to the supposed lookout's position. Once ready, he hunts for his target and calms his mind, enabling a true strike.

"Empty of mercy, I am like the Void.
Burning with hatred, I am like the Stars.
Unerring in purpose, I am the Darktide."

OOC:

Assuming the target is visible, alone, and looks reasonably dangerous, Nix would do the below. If not, disregard and I will edit. By dangerous, children, small animals, or someone looking like an unarmed squatter that is not watching the approach, would not be shot at.

Awareness/Search, if needed: 50, Magnoculars and Dark sight available.

Concealment, to acquire surprise: 47 -20 to detect.
[roll0]

Initiative, if needed for a possible second shot:
[roll1]

Spotting the lookout, the sniper remains still and watches them for a few moments, lining up his shot and thumbs the fire selector to a specialty round. Keying his vox, he subvocalizes to the team. "Target acquired."

Once he's absolutely sure of his shot, Nix exhales and pulls the trigger, sending Death speeding on its way.

OOC:

Called shot to the head using Dum Dum if head appears unarmored, Manstopper otherwise.

BS: 52 + 20 (Full round aim) +10 (Accurate) + 10 (sight): 92. If <75 m, +10 for Short range. +30 if target is unaware.
[roll2]

Rolling Damage, just in case. Depending on the roll and if the range/surprise modifiers apply, Nix will spend a fate point to try and ensure at least a 2DoS shot, either to reroll or add a DoS (if at 1 or 3 DoS).

[roll3] - Base Dmg
[roll4] - 2+ DoS
[roll5] - 4+ DoS
Add Pen 3 or +2 dmg, depending on if the target looks to be wearing a helmet.

With the remaining 1/2 action after the shot, Nix will re-Aim if the target is still breathing.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-25, 11:31 AM
Sighting in on the spotter, Nix carefully aligned his shot. The little red dot from his laser sight centered itself squarely on his target's unarmoured forehead. A second later, there was a softened crack as the weapon discharged, and the distant ganger's head exploded, painting the interior of the room he was in with his blood and brain matter.

First blood went to Nix.

Executus
2010-09-25, 11:48 AM
Lying still for a moment, Nix watches to make sure there are no further lookouts.

Activating his comm, the marksman whispers a single word. "Eliminated."

When satisfied that no one is coming to check on the lookout, he rises and re-covers his rifle in the acid cloth. Turning to Nihilus, he nods. "We're done here," The assassin begins to walk back toward the hab block, seeming unaffected by the gory death he just inflicted.

Calimos
2010-09-25, 12:12 PM
"May His hand always guide your shots", added the elder psyker grimly acknowledging Nix's unnering marksmanship and followed back to the hab-block entrance.

Mordar
2010-09-25, 03:52 PM
"Acknowledged," Iohannes replied over the vox. "Are you capable of gaining entry into the sentry's post from the exterior of the building?"

The Arbitrator waited for the reply while checking his weapon and extending to collabsible stock. "If Nix reports that they cannot enter through the sentry post we will have to breach the main entrance. I would prefer not to do that without my armor, but if needs be, needs be."

"I have not received a full briefing on your combat readiness, but I expect that Hack and I are best suited for the initial entry. That means you, Xufain, will have to assess the door and bypass any locks or security mechanisms. Agreed?" he looked at the Techpriests in turn.

Executus
2010-09-25, 04:02 PM
"Negative. Climbing the building exterior would only be possible under cover of darkness. And the missing lookout would be found long before that. We'll be at the door shortly."

Bowerbird
2010-09-25, 06:45 PM
"I will trust Brother Xufain to open the door. I will enter first, as you are without your armour. If shooting starts, keep behind me." That said, Hack starts back towards the door, muttering a prayer to the machine spirit for his equipment.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-25, 08:18 PM
Xufain glances about, scurrying up to the door and tapping some keys on the keypad. The pad sparks a few times and its lights dim. A second later they flash back on, and the doors grind to life, opening much more slowly than the ones on block L did. Inside is the same standard entrance hall, with a few modifications. Graffiti covers the walls, and what little furniture there was has been upturned to form makeshift barricades. Nobody is manning them at the moment, as Nihilius said.

The elevators are broken, twisted remains of cages sitting at the bottom of the shafts. Rain patters off them from above; the shafts must remain open. Directly ahead is a corridor leading deeper into the hab, while to the right is the door to the stairs. An empty administration kiosk sits to the left, its contents scattered or used in construction of barricades.

Executus
2010-09-25, 11:00 PM
Moving in behind the hulking tech priest and the arbiter, Nix uncowls his rifle again, as if expecting a horde of mutants to burst into the room at any moment.

Checking the corners for pict recorders, the assassin quickly and quietly moves to cover the hallway ahead, activating his sound suppressor as they enter the building.

With a whisper, he asks the group via the vox connection. "Are we cleaning house, or do you want to try talking first?" While waiting for an answer, he crouches against the wall at the hallway entrance, sweeping the hallway for movement.

Stummer gives +30 to Silent Move for everyone in a 'small area.' I would guess that would be a small room. Silent Move is half Ag for those without the skill. Should help keep up the element of surprise.

Silent move: 47 + 30
[roll0]

Awareness: 50

Mordar
2010-09-26, 12:28 AM
With a whisper, he asks the group via the vox connection. "Are we cleaning house, or do you want to try talking first?" While waiting for an answer, he crouches against the wall at the hallway entrance, sweeping the hallway for movement.

"We are ill equiped to secure several prisoners at the moment, but talking from a position of power is an acceptable option," Iohannes responded soto voce on the vox. "We need additional intel on the occupants. I suspect the ranking members in the building will be upstairs, but we cannot be certain."

"Nix, can you check further down the hall? Nihilius, now that we are inside the walls are you better able to sense the occupying forces?"

Bowerbird
2010-09-26, 01:37 AM
Hack glances around the entrance room, drawing his lethal looking shotgun while absentmindedly grinding his jaws. He silently indicates the stairs and the hall, throwing a questioning glance back to the others.

Calimos
2010-09-26, 05:36 AM
"I'll update accordingly in case i spot anything".

Nihilius moves in the middle of the group, drawing his blade, and focusing his attention on his surroundings, trying to get a clearer picture of the various presences inside the building.

Sense presence is already sustained (as well as White noise) so if i notice anything else, or the interference from the walls ceases and i get a clearer view, i'll let all others know.

Also, requesting a psyniscience test (vs 52) in case the interference isn't from the walls but from another source of psychic nature (after all i'm paranoid as well :smallwink:)

Executus
2010-09-26, 10:46 AM
Nix rises and begins to stalk further down the hallway, keeping near the walls and looking for rooms ahead or unexpected occupants.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-26, 11:22 AM
Moving down the hall ahead, the acolytes picked up on some voices coming from somewhere nearby. None of them could tell where exactly they were, and the hallway had a lot of doors to choose from...

Nihilius Only
Inside the walls, his perception of the place was more open. Some of the thicker walls still blocked his view. The sub basement seemed to have a few contacts in it, ghostly outlines flickering in and out on the edge of his sight.

Above them, he could make out more outlines traveling about the various rooms. The layout of this building was likely similar to the other one Nihilius had been in, and the movements seemed to correlate with that.

On this level, there was a large-ish concentration right ahead, in a room off the hallway. There were none on the stairs, and none in the elevator shafts.

Calimos
2010-09-26, 12:14 PM
"Elevator shafts and staircase clear. Normal activity upstairs and few contacts in the sub-basement as well. Movement pattern indicates that this building architecture resembles the previous one we investigated. Multiple contacts and increased activity right ahead in a room off the hallway. Can't discern more, some heavy walls still block me. Proceed with caution".

Mordar
2010-09-26, 07:41 PM
"If we can locate a single member we may be able to improve our understanding of the tactical situation. The upstairs rooms may offer greater opportunity to retreat if we are compromised - unless these habitations have frequent access to tunnel networks. Hack?" Iohannes inquired, looking towards the large techpriest.

I wish I had a better understanding of this world, he thought. "The state of the building and the icon on the door suggest that the structure is entirely occupied by Lurkers or their confederates," he commented. "Still, I would prefer to avoid any unnecessary casualities, if there are civilians present."

Bowerbird
2010-09-26, 11:50 PM
Hack
"Most places will have an exit down to the underhive. Since in all their safe houses before this they left through grates it's safe to assume they have tunnel access. This place had a bad reputation before being a Lurker hideout, I doubt there are any innocents. My recommendation is the use of primarily lethal force, and we save survivors for questioning."

Executus
2010-09-27, 01:27 PM
After hearing what seemed to be a number of voices confirming Nihilus's report, Nix glides back to the entryway to converse with the remainder of the group. "One of the rooms down the hall has a number of people in it. If we avoid them by going up the stairs, they may escape through the tunnels or attack us from behind. Any firefight down here will alert everyone in the upper levels. If we're going to be taking this building by force, we may have to split up or risk one group escaping or preparing for us."

Seeming at a loss, the assassin scowls. "On a hunt, I've found both lying in wait and annihilating force to be effective, but my targets were generally limited to a handful or single person. Storming an entire hab block is outside my expertise. Not to mention, a full on riot here might bring the Arbites down on us, and we've already established that is not a good idea right now."

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-27, 09:56 PM
As the acolytes converse, they hear a click from down the hall, followed by loud squeaking as a door swings open on rusted hinges. A pair of the voices get louder and more discernible as a single man steps out of the room, still focused on someone inside.

"...you found his little bolthole, yet?"

"Not yet. Going to look some more now. Lucky thing we got no need to search above 5th floor." The man in the doorway laughs, and turns towards the entrance, coming in your direction. He has not seen you yet.

Bowerbird
2010-09-27, 10:09 PM
Hack glances at the others before folding his mechadendrite behind his back and hunkering down against a wall, pulling his robes in close so as to just look like a rather large homeless man who has found shelter. The guise is far from perfect, but far easier than trying to hide himself.

Mordar
2010-09-27, 11:27 PM
Iohannes moves to the stairway, gesturing to the others to try to conceal themselves. This could work out perfectly...if these two leave the building, we can detain them outside, he thought, slipping his sidearm from its holster and preparing for the other option.

Executus
2010-09-27, 11:58 PM
Upon hearing the door open, Nix reacts and brings his rifle up to fire. Just as he is about to pull the trigger, the arbiter motions the group to cover. "Fine. We'll play it that way...for now."

Lowering his rifle, the assassin ghosts over to the abandoned kiosk and hides himself in the debris, leaving himself a clear visual path to the hallway.

Initiative, in case it becomes necessary: [roll0]

Concealment: 47
[roll1]

Well, I missed by 3 DoS, so let's hope his opposed Awareness is not very good. At least I get first crack at shooting him, if he sees something is up. ;)

Calimos
2010-09-28, 08:05 AM
Nihilius falls back and tries to hide behind one of the makeshift barricades, remaining ready to attack at a moment's notice should they be discovered and things get out of hand.

In case it's needed: Concealment (Ag): [roll0] vs 48 [(36/2)+30 if Chameleon manifests]

Dropping sense presence.

Chameleon power roll: [roll1] +1 (power well) +6 (WP bonus), threshold 11 (7+4 from sustaining white noise). Ignore these, rerolling because i got the rolls wrong. sorry.

Calimos
2010-09-28, 08:09 AM
In case it's needed: Concealment (Ag): [roll0] vs 48 [(36/2)+30 if Chameleon manifests] *Used one Fate point to re-roll this test*

Dropping sense presence.

Chameleon power roll: [roll1] +1 (power well) +6 (WP bonus), threshold 11 (7+4 from sustaining white noise). Total 19, chameleon manifests and is sustained.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-28, 08:34 AM
The door swinging shut again behind him, the man enters the front area just as Xufain scuttles into the stairwell to hide. He glances sideways at Hack, frowning at the seeming squatter. "Hey," he says, taking a step closer, "You ain't s'posed to be in here."

Distracted as he is by the hulking techpriest, the other acolytes go unnoticed for now.

Mordar
2010-09-28, 11:03 AM
Seeing that only a single target had exited the room provided Iohannes with a sense of relief and opportunity. He extended his handgun towards the man's head.

He glances sideways at Hack, frowning at the seeming squatter. "Hey," he says, taking a step closer, "You ain't s'posed to be in here."

"It's okay," Iohannes said, moving from the stairwell towards the man. "He's here with us. Now, be a clever boy and quietly walk over to the exit. If you behave, you might make it to tomorrow."

Bowerbird
2010-09-28, 12:06 PM
When the man comes close to Hack he just hunches even further in on himself, doing his best to act nonthreatening. Once Iohannes puts his gun to the man's head however, the robes part to reveal Hack's shotgun, angled up at the man, and he slowly straightens out to his full height in front of him, folding the Breacher back up onto his back as he does so.

Intimidate: [roll0] vs 52

Executus
2010-09-28, 12:41 PM
Letting the other two acolytes handle the loner, Nix rises from his hiding spot and moves to cover the hallway and door that the man emerged from.

"Try to keep it down." Indicating Xulfain and Nihilus, he flicks his head at the stairwell. "Watch the stairs. I'll cover the hall."

Calimos
2010-09-28, 02:55 PM
"Acknowledged. Will notify on any threat approaching from stairs. Just click your microbead twice if you need assistance".

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-28, 07:55 PM
Looking between Iohannes and the suddenly much larger Hack, the man wavers for a moment. The breacher seems to be the final straw. Backing away carefully, he turns and heads out the front entrance at double time as soon as he's picked up some distance.

Bowerbird
2010-09-28, 08:05 PM
Hack stays with him, keeping within good shotgun distance, to make sure he doesn't just keep running. Once outside and at a safe distance he tells him to stop, and says aside to Iohannes: "Search him for weapons."
Hack keeps pace with him for a few steps, but it becomes obvious that the guy is way too spooked and is going to run. He lets out a mechanical sigh, audible enough for Nix to hear, and indicates the guy trying to get away. He points to Nix, then the guy, then himself, then the corridor. (You chase after him, I'll stay here and cover you.) then swaps his shotgun for his Lasgun.

Mordar
2010-09-29, 02:24 PM
Looking between Iohannes and the suddenly much larger Hack, the man wavers for a moment. The breacher seems to be the final straw. Backing away carefully, he turns and heads out the front entrance at double time as soon as he's picked up some distance.

"I'm getting too old for this drek..." Iohannes muttered as he took off after the fleeing hivedweller.

Once outside and away from the building, Iohannes considered his options.

Stop or I'll shoot seems so trite... he thought, not wanting to separate from his companions but unwilling to let the figure flee and bring reinforcements.

OOC
I didn't see it mentioned and would like to confirm - is he wearing any gang colors or insignia? If I'm close enough to try for a tackle, I will, otherwise if we get out aways, I will open fire and try slow him down.

Executus
2010-09-29, 02:33 PM
Turning at the sound of pounding feet, Nix sees the man followed out the door by Iohannes. Quickly slinging his rifle onto his back, the assassin sighs and takes off out the door at a sprint. "Cirst! Can't even hold a banger at gunpoint. Do I have to do everything?"

Quickly passing the arbiter, the wiry killer launches a tackle at the fleeing man.

Sprinting Charge Move (16m) into a Grapple
WS: 34 + 10 (Charge) [roll0]

Executus
2010-09-29, 02:42 PM
Coming away with only a torn piece of clothing, the assassin scowls and draws a silenced pistol.

"I'm in no mood for this. Stop or you'll be walking with a limp the rest of your miserable life," growls the tattooed marksman.

Quick drawing as a Free Action.

Mordar
2010-09-29, 06:24 PM
OCC
Clearer tactical understanding now assimilated. A bit of revisionist history...fully appropriate to the world of WH40k, don't you think? :smallsmile: Disregard if needs be!

Seeing the man tense and then slowly move away from Hack, Iohannes recognized the signs of someone about to do something foolish. It took the hiver a second to get through the door, and the arbitrator started forward and launched himself at the man just after they reached the exterior of the hab.

Not sure if Knock-Down requires an attack roll or just the S vs. S, so here it is just in case:
[roll0] vs 29 WS...ugh, clearly I'm the Murtaugh to Nix' Riggs!
[roll1] vs 31 S + 10 for Half-action move = 41

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-29, 08:11 PM
OOC:
Whoop, forgot to mention. Insofar as the Lurkers use colours, yeah, he's wearing them. No eye symbol, though.

"Frak you." Taking to his heels, the ganger bolted, twisting out of the way of Iohannes and Nix. The assassin's pistol only served to make him run faster, footsteps ringing against Volg's decking, stinging rain pattering off his back.

Executus
2010-09-29, 08:22 PM
Is he Disengaging or Fleeing? If he's Disengaging, he only gets a half move. Otherwise, both Iohannes and I get a free attack. I'm going to assume he's Fleeing, as you said he's moving faster, implying a Run action.
Using Grapple as my free attack.

WS: 34 +10 (multiple attackers) (+20, if Running): 44 or 64
[roll0]

As the ganger tries to slip away, Nix makes a final grab for him, growling in frustration.

Executus
2010-09-29, 08:43 PM
OOC:

After I posted that, I realized whether he was Running or Disengaging changes what I would have done, and makes this post highly conditional. Sorry. :smallfrown: Pending answers and the outcome of Iohannes' free attack, I'll edit this as needed.

Unused action removed.

(If ganger was Moving and not Disengaging above)
Called shot to the leg.

BS: 52 + 10 Short range + 10 Aim: 72
[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Grunting in disgust, the assassin raises his weapon, and fires at the mans leg, hoping to make him stumble. "I warned you, you worthless piece of uest."

(If the ganger was Running)
Since Running gives a BS penalty, shooting is right out. Since I can easily keep up, I'll Run and Grapple as my action for this turn.

EDIT: Just remembered, Run is a Full Action, so I'll just Run to pace him. We would not count as in melee, as there is no attack.

WS: 34 + 20: 54
[roll2]

Seeing the man sprint away, Nix doesn't want to risk a shot with his pistol. With a snarl, he holsters his weapon and runs after the fleeing ganger. "Gorram coward just wants to run. I hate when they run..." Easily keeping pace, he readies himself for another attempt at a trip.

Mordar
2010-10-01, 10:40 AM
Despite the slick metal of the decking, the ganger kept his feet after Iohannes had crashed into him. As he struggled to get moving again, the arbitrator kicked out at his ankle, trying to take advantge of the hiver's intent to flee.

Knock Down
[roll0] vs 32 (no modifiers for half move this time, I assume!)

Despite Iohannes' efforts, the hiver nimbly avoided the kick and sprinted off into the rain. "Damn it!" he cursed, looking at the Assassin. "Well, I guess we get to see some more of the neighborhood after all!"

Destro_Yersul
2010-10-01, 11:17 AM
Nix and Iohannes
The ganger avoided the attacks be the skin of his teeth, darting away from the Hab Block at top speed. He was going straight, rather clearly making for a set of rusted metal stairs that would take him down below the acolytes field of view.

Nihilius, Hack and Xufain
Inside, Nihilius and Hack heard the door down the hall swing open again. "You hear that?"

Bowerbird
2010-10-01, 12:59 PM
Hack mentally sighs as he watches the ganger run off with Nix and Iohannes in pursuit. He turns to look back up the hallway and hears people coming towards the door again, he quickly motions for the others to hide again before resuming his stooped homeless position. Huddled against the wall with his drill hidden, his shotgun clasped in his hands hidden by the folds of his robes.

Executus
2010-10-02, 08:04 AM
The continued failure of the arbiter and his own efforts to trip the fleeing ganger have moved Nix's mood from annoyed to seething.

Cursing himself and the fleeing ganger's back and with his patience at an end, the assassin draws his rifle. "I tried to save you from this. Now your life is forfeit," rasps the cold eyed killer.

Raising the weapon to his shoulder, he sights his prey and attempts to make the coward stumble.

Seeing the runner pitch over and blood spurt, the Nix's mood improved slightly. "I warned you about that limp. Talk to my friend here, and maybe we'll send you away with a cane instead of a coffin."

Called shot to the leg.

BS: 52 +20 (Aim) + 10 (RDLS) + 10 (Short Range): 92
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]
[roll2] 2+ DoS
[roll3] 4+ DoS

Destro_Yersul
2010-10-03, 06:48 PM
Nix and Iohannes
Nix's bullet smashes into the fleeing ganger's leg, causing him to tumble forward with a cry of surprise. He crashes to the ground in a tangle of limbs and bounces his way down the flight of steps, coming to a stop at the bottom. Close behind, Iohannes thunders down the stairs as well. Upon reaching the bottom, the arbitrator discovers that the man, though badly wounded, still lives.

Nihilius, Xufain and Hack
"What're you talking about? I didn't hear anything."
"Thought I heard voices..."
"Think we oughta...?"
"Yeah."

Two sets of footsteps approach slowly, their owners trying and failing to be stealthy. How observant they were, however, remained to be seen.

Executus
2010-10-03, 07:07 PM
In the stairwell:
Walking up to the downed man, Nix stands beside Iohannes and shrugs. "At least he's not running anymore...We should tie him up. Don't suppose you have some magcuffs on ya."

The assassin scans their surroundings for onlookers, then begins to pat down the ganger, checking the man's pockets.

A reminder that Nix is Paranoid and his Awareness is 40 (50 for visual).

Mordar
2010-10-03, 09:52 PM
In the stairwell:
"Nice shot," Iohannes said. At least the leg is still attached, he added, silently.

"I'll secure the perpetrator and will rendezvous at the building. It will be best if you are on hand there should our companions be forced to engage additional gang members," he said, placing a rough tourniquet on the wounded leg and checking for any obvious signs of injuries that would prohibit moving the ganger back up the stairs and towards the building.

Executus
2010-10-03, 10:22 PM
Finishing checking the man's pockets, Nix hands over anything interesting to the enforcer. "Alright. I guess you can handle a dying man on your own."

The assassin half turns to head back, but thinks better of it. "If you decide to kill him, I'd appreciate it if you let me do it. I don't like to leave a job undone."

With that, he started back to the hab at a jog, triggering his vox. "Runner neutralized. I'm on my way back. Everything quiet there?"

Mordar
2010-10-03, 11:25 PM
"It is not currently my intention. If you wish, I will alert you if it becomes necessary," Iohannes replied, his voice flattening.

His demeanor has changed significantly over the past 12 hours, Iohannes thought, considering Nix as he walked away. I have not witnessed him using any substances, so I must assume he has either taken something without my knowledge or has been adversely affected by our current situation. Either way, he will bear continued scrutiny.

Calimos
2010-10-04, 02:38 AM
Nihilius watches as the two sets of footsteps echo down the hall and subvocalizes in his microbead:
"Nihilius here, two hostiles approaching. If they spot us, do i have permission for extermination? if other action is deemed preferable, please advise".

Then checks visually on Xufain and Hack to ensure that they're in position to properly respond to any hostile intent and grasping firmly the hilt of his sword with one hand, he whispers a prayer to the Emperor and waits.

Destro_Yersul
2010-10-04, 06:59 AM
Iohannes
The ganger's pockets contain only a few odd Thrones and a handful of spare stub bullets designed for use with the ancient and shoddily made revolver hanging off his belt. A wicked looking knife hangs next to that, and a Mercy Killer with one bullet loaded is concealed in a shoulder holster inside his jacket.

Nix
Nix breaks into a brisk jog back to the main building entrance. Carefully taking a look inside, he sees Hack and Nihilius against the far wall, a pair of gangers advancing down the main hallway towards him. The men are on alert, checking around to make sure they haven't missed anything as he watches they round the corner, shouting as they see the psyker and techpriest.

"Frak! Damn squatters, get the warp out of here!" Both men ready their guns, aiming at the two acolytes they can see. They haven't noticed the assassin.

The Others
The footsteps draw closer, rounding the corner. Two men come into view, jumping back as they see Nihilius and Hack. Xufain remains concealed in the stairwell for now.

"Frak! Damn squatters, get the warp out of here!" Both gangers produce weapons, pointing them squarely at the acolytes. The taller of the two has a combat shotgun with filed-down Arbites insignia, while the other has a pair of automatic stub pistols.

Calimos
2010-10-04, 08:27 AM
"...from the claws of the unclean Emperor deliver us, from the darkness of the Void Emperor deliver us, from the taint of the vile Emperor deliver us".

Nihilius finishes his prayer and charges ,in the blink of an eye, towards the first ganger. A strange clarity reigns in his mind and an amazing fluidity permeates his motions as the "Edge of Justice", his trusted mono-sword, slices the very air of the hallway like a hiss of the wind.

Charge attack on the ganger with the shotgun.
WS: 46+10 (charge or aim as half action if distance is smaller and attack) +10 (best craftsmanship) [roll0] vs 66

If needed: Reroll (via blademaster talent): [roll1] vs 66

In case i succeed: 1)I may opt to use Sure strike and reverse numbers to determine hit location.
2) Damage roll: [roll2] with penetration 2.

Bowerbird
2010-10-04, 08:55 AM
Hack heaves a great sigh, Great, I was hoping they'd get just a little bit closer.. he stands, bringing himself to his full height even as he charges the other ganger, eschewing his shotgun in favour of the Breacher he raises it high. With a whirring, grinding sound he brings it down towards the ganger.

Charge Attack
WS: [roll0] vs 39 (+10 for charging?)
Damage: [roll1]

Destro_Yersul
2010-10-04, 09:54 AM
Iohannes
Suddenly, the sound of gunfire erupts from inside the Hab. Two shots in quick succession, one carrying the distinctive roar of an arbites-issue combat shotgun.

Not Iohannes
As Hack and Nihilius rose to charge, the ganger's eyes widened. They braced for impact and fired their weapons at the acolytes, the shotgun going off with a resounding bang. A bullet from one of the stub autos smashed full into Hack's chest, mostly stopped by his armour and augmetics. Still, the shot stung. In retaliation the techpriest brought his breacher implant around, the gunslinger only barely managing to duck under the screaming drill.

Nihilius fared little better against his opponent. The shotgun blast caught him square in the chest, and the psyker was saved grievous injury only by his old mesh cloak. Gritting his teeth against the pain, his sword swung in an arc, biting only empty air: the shotgun wielding ganger had spun away expertly at the last second.

Executus
2010-10-04, 10:14 AM
Seeing the firefight erupting ahead of him, Nix drops to a shooter's crouch and takes aim. "So much for being sneaky."

Quickly evaluating the combatants, he decided the shotgun was the most pressing threat and fired.

Not sure how far the door is from the hall, so if point blank applies, add 20 to the target.
Called shot to the head.
BS: 52 + 10 (Aim) +10 (Accurate) +10 (Short range) + 10 (RDLS) - 20 (Firing into melee: 72
[roll0]

[roll1] Pen 0, +2 Crit dmg (Crack Shot), if applicable.
[roll2] 2+ DoS
[roll3] 4+ DoS

18 is 5 DoS regardless of point blank, so damage is 24 to the noggin.

Bowerbird
2010-10-04, 10:25 AM
His drill hitting nothing but air, Hack takes a hesitant step back before attempting to bring the whirring tip down once again on the ganger. The relatively minor wound from the pistol already sealing over.

WS: [roll]1d100p/roll] vs 39
Damage: [roll0]+10
Toughness for Regen: [roll1] vs 83

Mordar
2010-10-04, 10:57 AM
Hearing the gunfire, Iohannes shackles the unconcious ganger to a nearby protrusion and moves to the front of the hab-block. Nix is already in position there, so the Arbitrator moves in behind him and unlimbers his Combat Shotgun.

I suspect that will take me a couple of turns, at least...please let me know when I'm able to act!

Destro_Yersul
2010-10-06, 05:50 AM
As the ganger with the shotgun raised it again, Nihilius prepared for the worst. Then the man's head exploded in a spray of blood and bone, Nix's shot from the doorway taking it apart. His companion with the pistols fired both at Hack, darting around the big techpriest. The low caliber bullets, however, just bounced off, deflected by Hack's armour and toughened hide.

Moments later, his life expectancy was cut short as the screaming breacher smashed into him. The mining drill ploughed into the ganger's chest, tearing his flesh apart. He collapsed to the ground, guns falling from his fingers, and as quickly as it had begun the combat was over.

OOC:
Here we go. I apologize for the delay.

[roll0] Levels of fatigue...

and he's out cold, and like to die really soon. Iohannes will arrrive next round, so you all have ten seconds left where he won't know what you're doing :smalltongue:

Executus
2010-10-06, 09:15 AM
Nix moves into into the building and back towards the hallway, in case any further gangers come to check on the two that are missing. Along the way, he replaces his partially used magazine with a full magazine.

Whispering as he passes the tech priest, the assassin gestures at the bodies lying on the floor. "Move the bodies out of sight behind that kiosk."

"Xul, any movement on the stairs?" He then settles into the lee of the hall and listens for further voices.

For the record, ammo totals:
Manstopper: 3 full mags
Standard: 3 full mags, one mag w/ 3 rounds
Dum Dum: 1 full mag, one mag w/ 4 rounds.

1 mag each loaded in the rifle, Dum Dum mag has 4 rounds.

Requesting Awareness (40) to hear if the voices are still audible from the hallway.

Bowerbird
2010-10-06, 01:03 PM
Hack nods to the Assassin, he holsters his weapons, scoops up the dead gangers and their weaponry and half carries half drags them over behind the kiosk, thankful that he had fed the previous night and the urge to consume the flesh was relatively low. Once behind the kiosk he starts systematically stripping the corpses of weaponry, despite his general lack of agility he is remarkably fast, years of practice adding efficiency to his movements.

He'll pocket the pistols and carry the shotgun, anything usable in their pockets he will also confiscate.

Calimos
2010-10-06, 02:58 PM
Nihilius nods towards Nix in acknowledgement of his effort and waits covered as Hack moves the bodies, ready to warn or cover Nix in case of an emergency.

Destro_Yersul
2010-10-06, 06:23 PM
Xufain poked his head back out of the stairwell, stammering something about hearing movement upstairs. Indeed, in the silence after combat, it was possible to hear a number of footsteps overhead, sounding like they were going to be coming down to investigate the noise.

Nix, near the hallway, couldn't hear any voices from further down. Either they had gotten rid of the gangers who were in that room, or the rest were being remarkably quiet. As he listened, Iohannes jogged up next to the main door.

Hack Only
Hack busily and efficiently stripped the bodies, finding a pair of mercy killers as well as the obvious weapons. The man with the shotgun had also been carrying a crude map of sorts, looking like it showed some sort of tunnel network. Hand-drawn and labeled only in one place, that being the 'entrance - sub basement' with an arrow pointing to stairs at the top left.

Mordar
2010-10-06, 07:40 PM
His CAS-18 at the ready, Iohannes peered into the hab block entryway. The gore spattered onto the hallway walls and floor spoke volumes, and he was relieved to see that his fellow acolytes were whole, if not hale.

"Status?" he sub-vocalized, moving his eyes and weapon toward the stairwell.

Executus
2010-10-06, 09:27 PM
"Entry clear. Probable contacts on stairway. Hallway appears clear, but not confirmed. I think we should move up the stairway to deny them the higher ground." Keying off his vox, Nix adjusts his positioning so the hallway opening provides some cover from anyone coming down and waits for a response.

OOC

From the previous hab, does Nix know if there were stairways on each side of the hall?

Bowerbird
2010-10-06, 11:39 PM
Hack straightens, "What happened to the runner?" he says from behind the kiosk as he pockets the guns and examines the map.

Mordar
2010-10-07, 12:50 AM
"Secured around the corner. Hack, let's take the stairs. We'll secure the next landing. Nix, check the shafts and see if you can move up inside them," Iohannes directed quietly, moving toward the stairwell.

"You and I move up, speaking as though we rousted squatters. By the time they see us, it will be too late for them," he suggested.

OOC
This assumes the following - 1) The Lurkers above aren't already in the stairwell, 2) that the others nod assent, and 3) Hack's voice isn't audio-vox. If 1 or 2 are false, then we'll have to wait for the bad men. If 3 is false, Iohannes will carry the conversation solo. His plan is to move up the stairs in an obvious fashion, hoping to put the gangers at ease, and then once contact is made, have the drop on them and intimidate them into surrender...with the clear visual assistance of a large-bore shotgun and a scary tech-priest.

Calimos
2010-10-07, 05:41 AM
"Be advised that there was movement upstairs earlier and also that there was movement in the basement as well. As soon as i have new insight on the matter i'll update accordingly. Proceed with caution and let me know where you need me positioned".

Nihilius begins praying, clearing his mind prior to delving in the currents of Immaterium, begging the God-Emperor of Mankind to safeguard his soul against the Perils of the Warp and grant him the necessary insight to better assist his servants on their duties.

Invocation+10 [roll0] vs 75
Sense presence power roll: [roll1] +6 (if invocation succeeds) (chameleon is sustained hence the -4 on my power roll. Normally should be +6 from WP bonus, now it's +2). Sense Presence manifests, 1 degree overbleed (+10 metres range).

Sense presence is sustained (as well as Chameleon).

Executus
2010-10-07, 10:58 AM
Moving to the elevator shafts, Nix makes only a whisper of moving air. Upon reaching the down shafts, the marksman is careful to keep his weapon and exposed skin out of the caustic rain. Nix looks up them to see if there is a place to climb up or any open doors on higher floors.

OOC

He is looking for a spot to fire the grapnel, if there is not a ladder.

Bowerbird
2010-10-07, 11:49 AM
"You realise he will probably be dead or gone when we get back out there?" Hack says, moving up to the stairs while adjusting some dials on his Jaw's speaker system. "Sound more natural?" he asks after altering the settings slightly.

Tech-Use: [roll0] vs 42 in the hopes of disguising the artificialness of my voice.

Mordar
2010-10-07, 12:17 PM
"That's a definite possibility, but given the altercation taking place here I did not feel as though there were another choice," Iohannes responded, quietly.

Moving up the stairs, his voice and cadence shifted. "Didya see that head pop? Damn squatters oughta know better 'n to try an sleep it off in here. I mean...BLAM, right in the drekking head!" he guffawed and walked up the stairs, laughing.

Bowerbird
2010-10-07, 12:59 PM
"Hehehe, inna head! Shot 'im up good." Hack chuckles darkly, moving up the stairs with Iohannes.

Destro_Yersul
2010-10-08, 09:38 AM
Tuning the settings on his vox unit, Hack managed to produce a somewhat grating accent that nonetheless sounded more real than artificial. As he and Iohannes moved up the stairs, Nix checked the elevator shafts.

The bottom of each was a tangled mess of broken rockcrete and elevator parts. Shielding his eyes from the rain, the assassin looked up. The ladders bolted to the sides of the shaft were badly rusted. Testing one, it proved to support his weight, though it creaked alarmingly in doing so. There were, however, wrought metal gates that looked like they could support a grapnel's hook at each level the elevator used to exit.

Nihilius Only
Searching the warp currents once again for lifesigns, Nihilius picked out those of his comrades quickly enough. The signatures in the room down the hall had gone, but the ones upstairs were boiling about like a nest of agitated ants. It was difficult to get a fix on them, but they seemed to be making for the stairs.

The ones downstairs had moved only slightly. One was moving quickly back and forth, winking in and out as it passed areas too thick for the warp-sight to pierce.

Xufain scurried out of the way as the larger techpriest and the arbitrator passed. From the top of the stairs they could hear muffled voices, then someone shouted "Ey, wot 'appened down there?"

Exercising more caution than normal for gangers, none had appeared in the stairwell just yet.

Calimos
2010-10-08, 01:09 PM
Just as his psychically enhanced senses pick up the faint silhouettes of potential hostiles on the above floor, Nihilius, warns his comrades via his micro-bead.

"Hostiles above agitated, moving towards stairs, proceed with extreme caution. I'm right behind you covering the rear".

Then, he gets up from his hiding place and falls in behind the rest, monitoring the area continuously in case anything else shows up, ready to support the rest of the team as needed.

Mordar
2010-10-08, 04:00 PM
Xufain scurried out of the way as the larger techpriest and the arbitrator passed. From the top of the stairs they could hear muffled voices, then someone shouted "Ey, wot 'appened down there?"

"Coupla skags thought they could move in our space. One 'a the idiots actually puleld a gun...so I shot the bastard right in the head! BLAM!" Iohannes called up, training his weapon ahead of him, just in case the speaker got a little curious.

"Man, whatta mess he made!"

Executus
2010-10-08, 04:26 PM
Stowing his rifle for the moment, Nix readies his grapnel and aims at the grate two levels up. Before he fires, the assassin subvocalizes to the rest of the team. "Attempting to flank them. Stand by."

There really aren't rules for hooking something with a grapnel. I'm going to assume it would be a BS test at normal range (it has a 100m line, so I would guess that makes its range 25). If you want to apply some other mechanic, let me know.

BS: 52 + 20 (Full Aim): 72
[roll0]

If it connects, Nix will attach the line to his harness and climb up to the level with the gangers via his own power assisted by the grapnel as quietly as he can. His goal is to get to a point where he can hang in the shaft and get a shot at the gangers gathering at the stairway, being careful to not be seen. If seen, he'll be ready to abseil/rappel down to the ground.

So, to save time I'm going to make some rolls here. I'm not sure what rolls you think you'll need, so let me know if you need a different check.

Climb: 31 + 30 (assuming easy with the rope/grapnel assist)
[roll1]
Move Silent: 47 + 30 (stummer)
[roll2]
Concealment: 47
[roll3]

Destro_Yersul
2010-10-09, 10:37 AM
Nix
Aiming the grapnel carefully, Nix depressed the trigger. The gas-powered hook shot out the front with a muffled hiss, hooking itself over the third floor grate. Testing the line, Nix activated the grapnel's winch. The motor hummed, pulling him slowly upwards. Holding on with one hand, Nix carefully maneuvered himself around the pipes and ducts protruding into the shaft. He drew level with the second floor blocked from view by a large metal conduit, the top rusted away to expose a tangle of rubber-covered wires. Coming from the other side of the grating over the shaft entrance, he heard voices...

"...sentry duty catch 'em on tha way in?"

Iohannes, Nihilius and Hack
"That it? Lotta gunfire fer one scrag." The ganger sounded unsure, his voice containing a definite note of confusion. "An why din't sentry duty catch 'em on tha way in?"

Mordar
2010-10-09, 12:21 PM
"That it? Lotta gunfire fer one scrag." The ganger sounded unsure, his voice containing a definite note of confusion. "An why din't sentry duty catch 'em on tha way in?"

"Nah, it was a pair of 'em," Iohannes replied, still climbing the stairs. "Got one...the other one actually shot back and bolted out the door."

"As for the sentry...why the hell you think we're comin' up there? Idiot's probably asleep again..."

Executus
2010-10-09, 09:17 PM
Leaning away from the wall enough to see the top of the stairwell, Nix takes stock of what opposition they are facing.

Subvocalizing into his vox, he reports what he sees to the rest of the team. "In position. I have a visual. Five targets at the stairs. Waiting on your signal."

Trusting in his climbing harness to hold him up, the assassin retrieves his rifle and takes aim at their apparent leader.

OOC:

I'll replace [X] with however many there are.

Quick drawing his rifle and beginning an Aim action. If there is no obvious leader, he'll choose the biggest one.

Destro_Yersul
2010-10-12, 08:20 AM
"Alright, I'll go wake th'bastard up. You lot get back to guardin' the bottom."

Nix Only
As he watches, the man who had spoken turns away and begins walking back down the corridor. The other four take up guarding positions at the top of the stairs, including the big man. Seems they mean to be wary.

Executus
2010-10-12, 08:49 AM
Subvocalizing into his vox bead as quietly as possible, Nix reports the movement. "They don't believe you. 4 targets guarding the stair. Assault on 5 count."

Nix shifts his aim to the retreating figure. After waiting for the requisite count to coordinate with the rest of the team, he squeezes the trigger.

OOC:

Called shot to the head, standard round
BS: 52 + 10 (Range) + 20 (Aim/Accurate) +30 Unaware:112
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]
[roll2] 2+ DoS
[roll3] 4+ DoS

With Unaware, that's 2 DoS, so 20 damage Pen 0. +2 Crit damage (Crack Shot).

Seeing his round hit home, the assassin adjusts his aim back to the waiting men near the door.

Mordar
2010-10-12, 12:04 PM
Iohannes nodded at Nix' report and started a silent count. Though they hadn't seen anyone cross the doorway, it was safest to assume that there were suspects on both sides of the door. Motioning silently to Hack, the Arbitrator indicated that he would cover the right side, going first, and that the Tech-Priest was to sweep the left side of the hallway.

OOC
Please reverse those if necessary - the intent is that Iohannes will address the side most likely to have a Lurker presence based on voices and layout.

Once the count reached 5 Iohannes swung into the hallway, stepping far enough away from the door to make room for Hack, and brought his weapon to bear. Selecting the most threatening target, Iohannes centered his aiming laser on his forehead and fired a single shell at point blank range.

Most threatening target = biggest weapon currently facing Iohannes, or closest adversary if otherwise equal. I am assuming Point Blank range, but not unaware. No opportunity to Aim as I had to move into the hallway Please modify if I make any errors. :smallsmile:

Called shot, head.

[roll0] vs (BS:50 + Point Blank:30 + Laser Sight:10 - Called Shot/Deadeye:10 = 80)

Damage
[roll1]
[roll2] Bonus Scatter damage if 2 DoS
[roll3] Bonus Scatter damage if 4 DoS

"ALL OF YOU ON THE GROUND NOW! YOU ARE UNDER ARREST." he commands, smoke drifting from his weapon.

Bowerbird
2010-10-12, 07:27 PM
Hack rounds the corner a split second after Iohannes, covering the other side. Opening fire with his Meat-Hammer on the meanest looking one on his side. "What he said." he says ominously, or as ominously as his new voice allows, in the ringing silence left behind by the weapon discharge.

BS: [roll0] vs 66
Damage: [roll1] (13 Damage)
Bonus Scatter: [roll2] (12 Damage)
Bonus Scatter: [roll3] (11 Damage)

Destro_Yersul
2010-10-13, 09:07 AM
Nix lined up his shot and carefully fired, then everything began happening at once. Iohannes and Hack burst through the doorway, both bringing shotguns to bear and firing away. Iohannes shell tore apart the ganger facing him, and Hack's meat hammer lived up to its name on the big guy. Only two gangers remained, and both seemed all too happy to comply with Iohannes shouted order, dropping their weapons and raising their hands.