PDA

View Full Version : Improvement on this build [3.5]

blackmage5242
2010-08-26, 02:29 AM
Hi playgrounders.

This build is for a gestalt game and would like your wisdom in building this character. I want to make him/it into a good melee damager and good skill monkey.

Books: Any 3.5 and 3.0 from WotC. No LA buy-offs.

Stat: Str 12,Dex 22,Con 12,Int 14,Wis 14,Cha 10. The lvl 4 stat increase not added.
Race: Thri-kreen (Non-psionic)
Class: Lurk 5 // HD 2/LA 1/Rogue 2
Future Progression: Lurk 20// HD 2/LA 1/Rogue 2/Wizard 1/Unseen Seer 10/Arcane Trickster 4

Race and starting class can't be changed. Progression can still change.
I would like to try play with Lurk as the main class.
Feats not choosen yet, but should be taking Craven and Weapon Finesse.

Which do you think is better to focus multiattack or multiweapon fighting?

blackmage5242
2010-08-26, 10:20 PM
So no ideas of improvement? Or is my build good enough?

HunterOfJello
2010-08-26, 10:43 PM
This is a complicated character because most people don't know too much about thri-keen or Lurks.

Have you considered the psychic rogue class or the swordsage?

Why do you want to take Lurk 20 and a weakened wizard class on the other side?

blackmage5242
2010-08-26, 11:00 PM
To the question on why wizard on 1 side:
To have spells without using UMD on wands, scrolls, etc...
And Unseen Seer/ Arcane Trickster to progress my sneak attack.

To question on Lurk:
Cause i just want to try out that class? Seems very few people have played that class, so just interested in playing one.

WinWin
2010-08-27, 12:25 AM
The Lurk's psionic sneak attack should help qualify for Arcane Trickster, especially once it has been augmented with Unseen Seer. This means you can remove those initial rogue levels in order to focus more on wizard.

Multi Attack could work better with Touch Spells, especially with a Spellflower holding a few touch spells on extra claws.

Multi-Weapon Fighting is better in a lot of ways, especially with augments like Wraithstrike, but buying 4 magic weapons is going to eat into your WBL like nobodies business.

Tael
2010-08-27, 12:44 AM
Your build is not the best combination for Gestalt, in which generally you want a passive and an active side. The only thing really good about the lurk though, is that you Psi Sneak Attack stacks with the regular, but even then it's a really slow progression. If you can't ditch Lurk I recommend PrCing put of it as soon as possible. Possible into Soulbow, since you're already a Thri-Keen, if you can drastically change your starting stats to be Wis focused.

Tyndmyr
2010-08-27, 12:57 AM
Random thought...if you're after a lot of sneak attack, a 1 level assassin dip will get you another d6, with some other minor benefits as well. It's also relatively low-cost in terms of entry requirements.

IIRC, there's other dips and things to boost sneak attack damage, no doubt someone(probably person man), has a list around.

Is this anticipated to be a low/high wealth game?

blackmage5242
2010-08-27, 03:47 AM
Yes i am mainly trying to get slightly more sneak attacks, but assassin needs evil and i am neutral. Maybe i will dip into swordsage for the extra 2d6 sneak attack stance, since i am feat starved.

For Lurk i just want to make use of its Int/Wis damage augment, so need lurk level to improve the amount of damage. And psionic powers doesn't hurt.

WinWin
2010-08-27, 04:42 AM
Sneak attack is useful, but do not forget that it is conditional damage. Concealment prevents SA and many creatures are immune. There are a few wizard spells that can get around some immunities, also the concealment.

Magical Stealth is a good way to get into SA range, but is easily defeated at higher levels. Mundane stealth can be fairly easy to optimize and is a lot harder to guard against.

Assassins have some great SA options provided by spells. My favorite is Snipers Shot, a swift action spell. No limit on the next ranged SA...

DanReiv
2010-08-27, 05:56 AM
As stated above, you can't go wrong with Multiweapon fighting, and you can get it for free as bonus feat from thri-kreen RHD.

Nothin' wrong with dipping Lion Totem barbarian (or be a psywar for the pounce power) with X main attacks + 3 secondary arms either.

There's a fun move to pull with tri-kreen. They have +30 racial bonus to jump.

The Swooping Dragon Strike (7th, Tiger Claws) from ToB deals +10d6 damage and has a DC vs Stun = your jump check.

I'll let you reach your own conclusion :smallamused: