PDA

View Full Version : Are "Platinum Dragons" unique?

Alleran
2010-08-26, 08:55 AM
As the title - basically, is Bahamut the only Platinum Dragon there is, or is it possible to become one via shapechange/draconic polymorph/polymorph any object? I've hunted through all the 3.5 sourcebooks I have, but unless there's an aging table along with rules for advancement (etc.) available in a Dragon or Dungeon issue, it seems that there's only one Platinum Dragon, and it doesn't look like it could be reverse-engineered. Am I correct, or is it all hidden away somewhere?

Nerd-o-rama
2010-08-26, 08:57 AM
Last time I checked, the god Bahamut is the one and only Platinum Dragon - it's his title as much as a description or "species".

Zeta Kai
2010-08-26, 12:03 PM
There are no platinum dragons, only Zuul Bahamut.

There are also no 5-headed dragons, only Tiamat. Which means that you are free to make up whatever you want to create a species of them.

Tanuki Tales
2010-08-26, 12:04 PM
There are also no 5-headed dragons, only Tiamat. Which means that you are free to make up whatever you want to create a species of them.

Any dragon with the Multi-headed template 4 times wants a word with you. :smallwink:

Fax Celestis
2010-08-26, 12:05 PM
Any dragon with the Multi-headed template 4 times wants a word with you. :smallwink:

They still have the same head five times. Not quite the same.

Iamyourking
2010-08-26, 12:11 PM
The Immortals Handbook has them as a variety of high epic-low cosmic dragon; Bahamut is a great*3 wyrm with divine ranks.

I doubt you could really use them though; they come out of the egg as Gargantum creatures with CR 29, surpass anything in the Epic Level Handbook by the time they are Mature Adults, and by the time they are Great Wyrms they cast as level 47 clerics, have 3500 hp, and CR 95.

Esser-Z
2010-08-26, 12:17 PM
PaO says no.

Tanuki Tales
2010-08-26, 12:18 PM

I know. I'm just poking fun at the fact he didn't clarify a 5-headed dragon with each head being of a different dragon breed.

hamishspence
2010-08-26, 12:22 PM
The Immortals Handbook has them as a variety of high epic-low cosmic dragon; Bahamut is a great*3 wyrm with divine ranks.

I doubt you could really use them though; they come out of the egg as Gargantum creatures with CR 29, surpass anything in the Epic Level Handbook by the time they are Mature Adults, and by the time they are Great Wyrms they cast as level 47 clerics, have 3500 hp, and Strength 93.

Is that the book from Mongoose Publishing?

Iamyourking
2010-08-26, 12:25 PM
No, Eternity.

For what it's worth, Tiamat is a Multiheaded Great*3 Wyrm Polychromatic Dragon; which is slightly weaker than a Platinum, but still more powerful than a Prismatic.

hamishspence
2010-08-26, 12:45 PM
Did Eternity take over Mongoose? because the two books seem awfully similar:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=3481&it=1

http://www.spiritgames.co.uk/rpgsin.php?UniqueNo=4725

Iamyourking
2010-08-26, 01:32 PM
No idea, but my copy says Eternity. It really is too bad that Upper_Krust turned traitor, I really liked the two books that he did put out.

Zeta Kai
2010-08-26, 01:49 PM
I know. I'm just poking fun at the fact he didn't clarify a 5-headed dragon with each head being of a different dragon breed.

I didn't need to, so I thought. If one is talking about Tiamat, then one should know about her nature already. It's integral to her identity.

Tanuki Tales
2010-08-26, 01:55 PM
I didn't need to, so I thought. If one is talking about Tiamat, then one should know about her nature already. It's integral to her identity.

Except we're talking about breeds of dragon here, not unique individuals.

You could have referred to her as a Polychromatic dragon, but you instead chose "5-headed".

Mando Knight
2010-08-26, 01:55 PM
PaO says no.

It's impossible to PaO into Bahamut. Too many hit dice, and he's platinum. That's two strikes against PaO. I think he also counts as an Outsider due to his Divine Ranks.

Even using that 3rd-party source of not-Bahamuts, you can't even Shapechange into a Platinum dragon. You'd need an Epic spell with the Transform seed, and likely with a ridiculous Spellcraft DC.

Also, I don't like the idea of lesser Platinum Dragons running around. The god-dragons should be unique. On top of that, beyond his divine abilities and disintegration breath, a Silver can fit the function of a lesser form of Bahamut, possibly as a semi-divine emissary chosen as his exarch. (In which case, you add a couple of levels of a Divine casting class and possibly a Divine Rank of 0-3)

Morph Bark
2010-08-29, 02:33 PM

Chimeric multiple times over?

Urpriest
2010-08-29, 02:39 PM
Chimeric multiple times over?

Then chop off all the mammal heads?

Reynard
2010-08-29, 02:41 PM
Wouldn't that result in a creature with no heads one side, and five snakes at it's tail end?

Ilmryn
2010-08-29, 02:47 PM
The closest thing to a lesser platinum dragon is probably the Aspect of Bahamut from Dragon Magic.

Morph Bark
2010-08-29, 02:59 PM
Then chop off all the mammal heads?

Obviously. :smallwink:

Chimeric hydras are also quite fun.

Runestar
2010-08-29, 05:59 PM
You mean something like this? :smallbiggrin:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20070608a