PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] DMPC ally suggestions for a solo gestalt game

Edge of Dreams
2010-08-26, 12:53 PM
I am going to be running a combat-focused solo campaign for a friend. He has very little prior D&D experience. His character will be a Paladin//Wilder gish, and we're starting at level 1.

I've got no problems designing encounters for him or advising him on his build, but we've agreed that he should have some allies for at least some of his adventures. Generally, they'll be one or two other gestalt characters that I will build and run, but allow him to suggest what he thinks they should do in combat and such (e.g. attack my target, protect the caravan, etc.).

What I could use some help with is coming up with flavorful and fun characters that will compliment his and provide good support without overshadowing his only moderately powerful build. They can be gestalt or single-classsed, depending on the power level of the classes.

Ideas I've got so far include a halfling Ranger//Scout, and a warforged Factotum/Soulknife.

Suggestions?

WarKitty
2010-08-26, 12:56 PM
I'd go for some sort of healer/buffer character. Greatly increases the survivability of the PC without detracting from the focus on him.

dextercorvia
2010-08-26, 01:00 PM
Personally, I'd skip it. You are already allowing gestalt. I'd skip the majority of traps, unless they are the kind that can be avoided by cautious play, or are just there to deplete resources. There is no point in adding traps, and then adding a rogue to find/remove them. If he wants extra help, I'd consider the Wild Cohort, or similar feats.

Edge of Dreams
2010-08-26, 01:04 PM
I'd skip the majority of traps

Oh, yeah, I'm totally not planning to have traps 95% of the time. I'd only throw some in if it thematically fit with the specific dungeon or whatever that there HAD to be traps, and even then, they wouldn't likely be a big deal. Factotum and Scout weren't planned as trap-finders, just as high-skillpoint characters, since he'll have 4+int mod and probably no Int worth speaking of.

I'd go for some sort of healer/buffer character

Good idea. I hadn't really thought of this because Paladin already has self-healing, and he's planning to use the Wilder powers to self-buff. That said, what kind of buff/utility caster class would work well here? Maybe Bard?

gomipile
2010-08-26, 01:46 PM
Good idea. I hadn't really thought of this because Paladin already has self-healing, and he's planning to use the Wilder powers to self-buff. That said, what kind of buff/utility caster class would work well here? Maybe Bard?

Gestalt Bard//Favored Soul might fit that niche rather well.

Greenish
2010-08-26, 03:01 PM
Well, since the character in question is an NPC, lets stick to NPC classes. Say, healer//marshal. :smallwink: