PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 d&d ranger question: Favored Enemy

dresdor
2010-08-26, 02:12 PM
Question regarding favored enemy.

Say a creature shapechanges from a form that you do not have favored enemy against into a new form that you do have favored enemy for. Since the type changes, you should get the bonus to the new type.

Similarly, if it changes from a form you do have favored enemy towards into a form you do not, you loose the favored enemy bouns.

Am I thinking along the right lines for this?

Greenish
2010-08-26, 02:27 PM
If the creature's type changes, the FE is checked against the new type.

Note however that not all shapechanges change the type. (For example Alternative Form or Wildshape don't.)

dresdor
2010-08-26, 02:29 PM
If the creature's type changes, the FE is checked against the new type.

Note however that not all shapechanges change the type. (For example Alternative Form or Wildshape don't.)

Right, but polymorph and shapechange do, which are the two cases I'm most interested in. Thanks for the confirmation.

Reis Tahlen
2010-08-26, 02:31 PM
Depends if you consider Favored Ennemy as part as an hatred of the ennemy, or extra training against this type of ennemy.

If it is hatred, changing form doesn't work: "You can polymorph all the way you want, buddy, but I know you are an Orc, and the gods help me but I FU<biiiip> HATE ALL YOU GREENSKINS!!"

If it is training, of course you'll be more effective in combat if the shape is one you're familiar with.

Nick_mi
2010-08-26, 02:35 PM
As a player I always try to give logical reasonings on anything I try to stretch with the DM. You could try the logical reasoning(Assuming you go under the training aspect.) that if your favored enemey is A and A transforms into B C or D, and it's a commonly known thing for that creature to turn into B C or D. You could argue that as your training progressed while studying your favorite enemy, you naturally studied his other forms a bit and could possibly get a partial bonus.

Greenish
2010-08-26, 02:38 PM
You could argue that as your training progressed while studying your favorite enemy, you naturally studied his other forms a bit and could possibly get a partial bonus.Hmm, offhand, I can't name any critter that can change it's type with an innate ability (aside from the ones that "cast as x lvl y"). What monster did you have in mind?

Shademan
2010-08-26, 03:02 PM
Depends if you consider Favored Ennemy as part as an hatred of the ennemy, or extra training against this type of ennemy.

If it is hatred, changing form doesn't work: "You can polymorph all the way you want, buddy, but I know you are an Orc, and the gods help me but I FU<biiiip> HATE ALL YOU GREENSKINS!!"

If it is training, of course you'll be more effective in combat if the shape is one you're familiar with.

or if it is training "You can polymorh all you want but you still fight like a damn orc! EAT SCROTAL FLAIL!"

Reis Tahlen
2010-08-26, 03:08 PM
or if it is training "You can polymorh all you want but you still fight like a damn orc! EAT SCROTAL FLAIL!"

Oh god, the "Scrotal Flail" is SO going in my next session on Sunday

Shademan
2010-08-26, 03:09 PM
feel free to praise for eternity.
and send 10£