PDA

View Full Version : Swarm familiars and the polymorph subschool.

realbombchu
2010-08-26, 03:23 PM
If you Dragonshape, Polymorph, Shapechange, Trollshape, etc. a swarm familiar, what happens? Do they merge for the duration of the effect? Does just one change? Or do you get an army of hundreds or thousands of hive-minded horrid trolls?

There has to be a rule I'm forgetting here. Thanks!

Keld Denar
2010-08-26, 03:25 PM
Where are you getting a Swarm familiar from? I want one!

And generally, swarms are immune to effects that target a single entity. You can Finger of Death a swarm, you can't cast Invisibility on it, and you can't target it with Polymorph (or any polymorph like spells).

realbombchu
2010-08-26, 03:34 PM
Dragon March 2005, #329, page 98, Wizard Class Acts. Choose from spider, bat, rat, locust, bone rat, centipede, corpse rat, emphemeral, swamp strider, bloodmote, dread bloom, needletooth, hellwasp, shimmerling, or brood keeper larva. For D&D 3.5, requires Improved Familiar and at least 3rd arcane spellcaster level.

Keld Denar
2010-08-26, 04:34 PM
hellwasp

Lol wut? And people wonder why most people don't allow Dragon Magazine material at their tables...wtf?

Yea, I want a familiar that can inhabit a the ogre I just cast Hold Person on, and drive it around like a battlemech.

Anyway, yea, what I said earlier. Swarms can't be targeted, because they simply don't qualify.