PDA

View Full Version : 2nd level powers

Flickerdart
2010-08-26, 03:24 PM
I'm playing a gestalt Egotist//Knight, and we've just hit 3rd level. I'm dismayed at how terrible 2nd level psionic powers are at accommodating a gish. Within my power list (my feats are spoken for until very late levels, so no Expanded Knowledges) I've only managed to find Concealing Amorpha as a decent gish power, and was forced to turn 3rd party for my second power choice (Construct Toughness from Hyperconscious).
However, next level I'll be stuck dredging the same abysmal list for powers. Are there any ones that don't suck? Hidden away in some Dragon mag, perhaps?

Keld Denar
2010-08-26, 03:29 PM
Hustle? Do the Hustle (do do do dodo dodo do)!

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-26, 03:38 PM
Detect Hostile Intent is really good, akin to the poor man's Foresight. It prevents you from being flatfooted or surprised.

Otherwise, you can always take more 1st level powers instead of 2nd level ones. Pick up goodies you may have skipped, like Synesthete, or one of the Precognition/Prescience powers.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-08-26, 03:40 PM
Don't forget to check the Egoist discipline list, Animal Affinity is amazing!

Energy Stun was spectacular until Complete Psionic ruined it. If you're not using the versions in that book, definitely take this and always use electricity.

Anticipatory Strike in Races of Destiny could be useful, it's similar to Celerity but a bit more balanced I think.

Psychic Scimitar in Sandstorm looks interesting, I didn't even know it existed until just now I figured I'd look through some books for anything obscure. Surprisingly it doesn't specify what type of action it is to direct the scimitar to attack, whether you give it a target and it goes off to do its thing or if you have to take an attack or full attack action every round to directly control it. It lasts a minute/level, so if it works like Spiritual Weapon it's absolutely amazing, though there's a fairly severe drawback if it gets destroyed. Ask your DM how he thinks it should work, and if it attacks on its own like Spiritual Weapon then it's definitely worth getting.

Flickerdart
2010-08-26, 03:41 PM
Hustle? Do the Hustle (do do do dodo dodo do)!
Hustle is a 3rd level power for Egotists. Animal Affinity doesn't last long enough to be useful, in my opinion.

Starsinger
2010-08-26, 05:40 PM
But Flicker... Wombat's X and Animal Affinity last the same time. 10 rounds per level isn't enough?

Hawriel
2010-08-26, 06:10 PM
A gestalt egotist knight? I thought the point of gestalt was to combine two classes. Its established that knights are egotists.

Eurus
2010-08-26, 06:29 PM
Otherwise, you can always take more 1st level powers instead of 2nd level ones. Pick up goodies you may have skipped, like Synesthete, or one of the Precognition/Prescience powers.

Not a bad idea, given the slot-less system of psionics. 1st level powers are so much more varied than 2nd.