PDA

View Full Version : Recurring NPC Duskblade

Duncan_Ruadrik
2010-08-26, 04:23 PM
Hey there all!

For my campaign, I've decided to make a neutral Duskblade NPC, level 6 ish. I would like him to be a recurring character, so ideas for a full build is nice, from 6 to 18, maybe 20. I feel human is always a good choice, but the Duskblde fluff describes a background of Elven heritage, so... eh? I really would like him to be the epitome of what a duskblade should be. Heres what I gots so far:

STATS: 40 point buy (want this guy to be a challenge!)

?1Able Learner? (if Human)
1Power Attack
3Knowledge Devotion
9Arcane Strike

Was considering the Collector of Stories skill trick, to synergize with Knowledge Devotion?

he has access to 13,000 gp, as per the starting wealth for his level. Go wild with the items.

Thanks in advance for the help, everyone!

Greenish
2010-08-26, 04:32 PM
What are you planning to use Able Learner for?

Kosjsjach
2010-08-26, 04:34 PM
Required reading: The Duskblade Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=525.0).

That said, I've been concocting a Deep Dwarf Duskblade for a few days now. He'd wield a dwarven warpike and have a hellhound familiar. :smallbiggrin:

Duncan_Ruadrik
2010-08-26, 05:08 PM
Able Learner: well, I like my NPC's relatively stealthy, so they can sneak up on the party, get in a surprise round, etc. However, Im not sure its useful for this build, hence the question marks....

Ive already read the Duskblade handbook... And since I dont want a familiar for this NPC, I dont know what feats to take. Hence my thread...

Greenish
2010-08-26, 05:19 PM
Able Learner: well, I like my NPC's relatively stealthy, so they can sneak up on the party, get in a surprise round, etc.If the party has a decent spotter, the cross-class skill cap is annoyingly low.

Anyhow, when in doubt, Martial Study for something nifty, Combat Expertise -> Imp. Trip -> Knock-Down chain or just plain ol' Imp. Initiative are all decent options.

Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) and mounted combat feats are quite fun, especially if you don't have to fit into a dungeon.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2010-08-26, 05:31 PM
well, we dont use the Book of 9 swords... none of us have it, and only a couple of us really like it.

Knock Down chain might be nice.....

Got any advice for items or spells? also, is the spell list for the duskblade (on pg. 24 of PHB2) the only spells? or are there other spells I can cast, but from a supplement or something?

Master_Rahl22
2010-08-26, 10:03 PM
The spell list on page 24 is it. As far as I know, the Duskblade has 0 support outside of PHB2, so it hasn't been expanded. However, if you're not opposed to homebrew I've seen a few people who have gone through Spell Compendium and other such books to expand the Duskblade's spell list.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2010-08-27, 12:45 AM
heh. lame. I try to keep everything as RAW as possible. that way it keeps D&D a challenge. I mean, I could use any homebrew stuff i wanted, I guess, but... meh?

WinWin
2010-08-27, 07:15 AM
Duskblades make better support characters. Perhaps have the character as the cohort of another character for a while...

Consider using a reach weapon and taking options that increase reach.

Advance Duskblade to Level 13 or so in a campaign. Take Nar Demonbinder or Suel Arcanamach for fast casting progression after that.

An an enemy of the PC's, Elusive Target is a great tactical feat (the prerequisites are garbage though. Combat reflexes + Karmic Strike and Robilars Gambit and Defensive Sweep allow for devastating attacks, especially at 13th level.

For the Feats required, Human seems like a likely choice, unless you use Flaws in your game.

Hope this helps.

Kifo
2010-08-27, 10:47 AM
Hi

I saw this thread and figured that I would pitch in.

First of, a good way to expand your Duskblades spell list is Arcane Disciple from Complet Divine. It lets you and the spells from one domain to your spell lite (not spells known).

Slime (FR campaign setting) is a great domain that my own Duskblade has, it adds:
LvL 1: Grease, quick cast this at the start of the fight an feel joy as you foes fall flat on there face and you wail away on there behinds.

LvL 2: Acid Arow, mhe Duskblades have Scorching Ray as a lvl 2 spell and it's just better in my book.

LvL 3: Poison, this spell is damn good, and if your NPC sticks around until lvl 13 he/she/it will arcane channel it on all his/her/its attacks.

LvL 4: Rusting Grasp, I think that some fun can be hade with this spell, no?

LvL 5: Evard's Black Tentacles, not the greatest spell.

Item wise you might wanna look up knowstone from Dragon 333.

How set are you on the NPC being a human? Coss a Deep Imaskari (Underdark 8) Half-Minotaur (Dragon 313) has str +12 con +4 dex -4 and no mental modifiers. It would be large and that's all ways fun toss on a Greathorn Greathammer (MM IV 101) and some Strongarm Bracers for 4d6 19-20x4 crit.

Toliudar
2010-08-27, 11:39 AM
If you want this guy to be a recurring character, some item that gives teleportation will be important. Dimension hop is not going to cover it, and relying on his ability to cast Dimension Door as a spell is iffy. Inevitably, your players will do something fancy that completely hoses your awesome and nuanced opponent, and s/he'll have no choice but to get the heck out of dodge. It's important that he/she has the ability to do so.

Greenish
2010-08-27, 11:45 AM
If you want this guy to be a recurring character, some item that gives teleportation will be important. Dimension hop is not going to cover it, and relying on his ability to cast Dimension Door as a spell is iffy. Inevitably, your players will do something fancy that completely hoses your awesome and nuanced opponent, and s/he'll have no choice but to get the heck out of dodge. It's important that he/she has the ability to do so.Hmm, I hadn't even thought he might be a recurring opponent. At higher levels, Belt of the Wide Earth gives Teleport for burning a 5th level spell, but for a duskblade that'll take a while.

An item that gives burrow speed might do the trick, given it's a mode PCs most likely don't have.

WinWin
2010-08-27, 01:28 PM
Illithid Claws graft. Grants burrowing.

Fiendish/Fey legacy has a prerequisite, but grants teleport/dimension door as a SLA respectively.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2010-08-29, 05:27 PM
thanks everyone, as always!