PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 wild cohort

heymejack
2010-08-27, 12:43 AM
at what level would you, were you dming, allow a player to get a deinonychus for a mount with the wild cohort feat?

Frosty
2010-08-27, 12:54 AM
10th level. Wild Cohort treats you like you are a Druid of character level -3, and a 7th level druid can get the dino in question as a Companion.

This is the RAW answer. Balance-wise, I don't have a good sense of the animal in question currently.

Eldariel
2010-08-27, 09:44 AM
Deinonychus is a bit weakish for level 7 so I could consider giving it out at Level - 4 instead. But it's a bit strong for that point. Really, Deinonychus presents the heart of the problem for how Animal Companion progression is written; as they only advance every 3rd level, there's no constant scale and ACs that are too strong for an earlier point but too weak for a latter kinda just become useless in general and can't be fixed without rewriting the AC acquisition system so new options come out every level.

Ashiel
2010-08-27, 10:10 AM
I'd go with 7th level as normal.

Nick_mi
2010-08-27, 10:14 AM
I'd say 5th to 6th level if you have a mid power-level campaign going on.

Ashiel
2010-08-27, 10:31 AM
I thought I'd clarify my answer a bit, since I didn't really offer any useful information (I was in a hurry; sorry).

Wild Cohort is a great feat and one of my personal favorites. However it's worth noting that it's not intended to be as good or as strong as a normal animal companion; hence why it tends to be a bit weak for its level. I think that is intentional; and I think that care should be taken when modifying it.

That being said...
Having not been rushed, I could see moving the Deinonychus down to the 4th level druid options, since it's really not very impressive for the 7th level options; being more on par with the Bison, I think. If you did lower it on the druid list, then it would mean animal cohorts would get it 3 levels earlier as well.