PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Aertivocol (Monster)

Jergmo
2010-08-27, 01:57 AM
The Aertivocol is a creature I made up when I was trying to find a way to make dinosaurs and monstrous insects surviving in a D&D world actually work - the idea was that a bunch of aertivocols would be floating around a valley they live in (and perhaps there would be a CO2 vent nearby providing them sustenance). The 'Elemental Realm' is an extraplanar realm where all of the elements originate, via various seams in the Prime Material Plane, and the stars themselves, which act as permanent portals, although it cannot be used for travel as anything trying to pass through would naturally be incinerated. It is a combination of the Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Positive and Negative planes all jumbled together.

Aertivocol
Size/Type: Huge Aberration (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 8d8+40 (76 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 5 ft. (1 square), fly 20 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 16 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +7 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+14
Attack: Tendril +12 melee (1d6+8)
Full Attack: 4 tendrils +12 melee (1d6+8)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Expulsion
Special Qualities: Blindsight 120 ft., immunity to inhaled gas attacks, immunity to suffocation, immunity to acid, resistance to electricity 20, regeneration 3
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +6
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 13, Con 21, Int Ø, Wis 10, Cha 2
Skills: —
Feats: —
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 9-12 HD (Huge); 13-20 HD (Gargantuan)
Adjustment: —

The Aertivocol is a large, floating creature native to the Elemental Realm, primarily areas related to Air - it combines both animal and plant, subsisting mainly on a diet of various gases. It is green in coloration and has no ocular organ, but releases a sub-sonic shriek by contracting its body; these shrieks are received by special sensory organs, allowing it to map out the surrounding terrain. The aertivocol remains afloat via large sacs that contain stored gases, mostly helium, which is in abundant supply in its home plane. It can propel itself by using its tendrils as a rudimentary rudder while taking in air and expelling it through its body as well. The aertivocol has a rapidly changing cell structure, like many of the aberrations native to the Elemental Realm, giving it regenerative abilities. It also has developed a strong resistance to electricity to help it survive being struck by lightning as it floats through the air. The aertivocol does convert carbon dioxie into oxygen, but in much denser concentrations than the air that surrounds it. Creatures with a tolerance equal to that of humans would quickly suffer from negative effects from breathing the oxygen provided by an aertivocol.*

Combat
The aertivocol is a typically docile creature, only becoming hostile if provoked. They will first choose to use their Expulsion ability to release a cloud of toxic gas, and if still threatened they will attack with their tendrils. An opponent can make a sunder attack against an aertivocol's tendrils as if they were weapons. A tendril has 20 hit points, and severing a tendril deals 10 damage to the aertivocol.

Regeneration (Ex): Fire deals normal damage to an aertivocol. If an aertivocol loses one of its tendrils, it grows back in 3d6 minutes.

Expulsion (Ex): The aertivocol contracts its body, releasing toxic gases from its storage sacs similar to a fog cloud. The gas covers a 20-ft. spread (30 ft. for a Gargantuan aertivocol), and deals 1d6/2 HD with a Reflex save for half damage (DC 10 + 1/2 the aertivocol's HD + the aertivocol's Con modifier). The gas attack has a range of 25 ft. +5 ft./2 HD and has a secondary effect, requiring a Fortitude save with the same DC to avoid becoming nauseated. The saves must be made during every round of exposure. This ability may be used once every 1d4 minutes.

*Exposure to an aertivocol converting oxygen would have no ill effects for 1d4 rounds, but thereafter, successful Fortitude saves must be made every round with a DC equal to (10 + 1/2 the aertivocol's HD + the aertivocol's Con modifier) or suffer from the effects of fatigue, as well as a -2 penalty to intelligence and wisdom for 1d10 minutes. This zone has a radius of 30 feet.

The Pressman
2010-08-27, 04:06 AM
I like it. I haven't seen too many gasbag-suspended creatures around here, but then again, I'm relatively new and haven't actively looked.:smallbiggrin:

Debihuman
2010-08-28, 12:48 PM
I really like this. Since it is from the 'Elemental Realm,' it should have the Extraplanar subtype and 'Elemental Realm' should also be its environment as well. I think a DM who doesn't use your Elemental Realm could substitute the Far Realm for the Elemental Realm.

Is there enough gas to knock back Small or smaller creatures from its Expulsion Special Ability?

Debby

Jergmo
2010-08-28, 12:52 PM
I really like this. Since it is from the 'Elemental Realm,' it should have the Extraplanar subtype and 'Elemental Realm' should also be its environment as well. I think a DM who doesn't use your Elemental Realm could substitute the Far Realm for the Elemental Realm.

Is there enough gas to knock back Small or smaller creatures from its Expulsion Special Ability?

Debby

Eh, I don't think it's powerful enough that it'd be like a Gust spell, though it does occur that Extraplanar would be a good idea. I'm not sure about the Far Realm, though. It seems like they'd be on a border-plane, between the Plane of Elemental Air and Limbo. Also, mind you that most Extraplanar monsters don't have their specific plane as their environment - it's like "any chaotic good plane" or what have you. Aberrations typically fall under "Any" environment, so I just went with that.

Debihuman
2010-08-28, 01:08 PM
The gust of wind spell does the following:

This spell creates a severe blast of air (approximately 50 mph) that originates from you, affecting all creatures in its path.

A Tiny or smaller creature on the ground is knocked down and rolled 1d4×10 feet, taking 1d4 points of nonlethal damage per 10 feet. If flying, a Tiny or smaller creature is blown back 2d6×10 feet and takes 2d6 points of nonlethal damage due to battering and buffeting.

Small creatures are knocked prone by the force of the wind, or if flying are blown back 1d6×10 feet.

Medium creatures are unable to move forward against the force of the wind, or if flying are blown back 1d6×5 feet.

Large or larger creatures may move normally within a gust of wind effect.

A gust of wind can’t move a creature beyond the limit of its range.

Any creature, regardless of size, takes a -4 penalty on ranged attacks and Listen checks in the area of a gust of wind.

The force of the gust automatically extinguishes candles, torches, and similar unprotected flames. It causes protected flames, such as those of lanterns, to dance wildly and has a 50% chance to extinguish those lights.

In addition to the effects noted, a gust of wind can do anything that a sudden blast of wind would be expected to do. It can create a stinging spray of sand or dust, fan a large fire, overturn delicate awnings or hangings, heel over a small boat, and blow gases or vapors to the edge of its range.

Debby

Jergmo
2010-08-28, 01:16 PM
The gust of wind spell does the following:
Debby

Yeah, I'm imagining less a powerful blast of gas and more the bodily contractions pumping it out. Pumping out a 20 ft. spread of gas in 6 seconds...eh. It's fast, but not that powerful.

DracoDei
2010-08-28, 01:44 PM
A very "scenic" monster. IE it isn't really meant to be fought in most cases. I approve.

Toxic gas would traditionally be straight fortitude saves, with reflex not involved at all.

I think you need to specify the save versus the oxygen is every round.

Why specifically are they immune to acid?

You need to specify the AC of the tendrils probably... even if it just to say that it is the same as the overall creature. If not, then specifying Touch and Flat-Footed tendril ACs would be an added bonus.

Jergmo
2010-08-28, 07:23 PM
A very "scenic" monster. IE it isn't really meant to be fought in most cases. I approve.

Toxic gas would traditionally be straight fortitude saves, with reflex not involved at all.

I think you need to specify the save versus the oxygen is every round.

Why specifically are they immune to acid?

You need to specify the AC of the tendrils probably... even if it just to say that it is the same as the overall creature. If not, then specifying Touch and Flat-Footed tendril ACs would be an added bonus.

1. The gas attack is like a green dragon's breath weapon, pretty much, except that it has noxious fumes. I guess it'd be a cocktail of compressed gases, converted by the aertivocol's innards.

2. Arright.

3. So that they aren't killed by their own attacks and exposure to other dangerous gases.

4. Sunder

You can use a melee attack with a slashing or bludgeoning weapon to strike a weapon or shield that your opponent is holding. If you’re attempting to sunder a weapon or shield, follow the steps outlined here. (Attacking held objects other than weapons or shields is covered below.)
Step 1

Attack of Opportunity. You provoke an attack of opportunity from the target whose weapon or shield you are trying to sunder. (If you have the Improved Sunder feat, you don’t incur an attack of opportunity for making the attempt.)
Step 2

Opposed Rolls. You and the defender make opposed attack rolls with your respective weapons. The wielder of a two-handed weapon on a sunder attempt gets a +4 bonus on this roll, and the wielder of a light weapon takes a -4 penalty. If the combatants are of different sizes, the larger combatant gets a bonus on the attack roll of +4 per difference in size category.
Step 3

Consequences. If you beat the defender, roll damage and deal it to the weapon or shield. See Table: Common Armor, Weapon, and Shield Hardness and Hit Points to determine how much damage you must deal to destroy the weapon or shield.

If you fail the sunder attempt, you don’t deal any damage.
Sundering a Carried or Worn Object

You don’t use an opposed attack roll to damage a carried or worn object. Instead, just make an attack roll against the object’s AC. A carried or worn object’s AC is equal to 10 + its size modifier + the Dexterity modifier of the carrying or wearing character. Attacking a carried or worn object provokes an attack of opportunity just as attacking a held object does. To attempt to snatch away an item worn by a defender rather than damage it, see Disarm. You can’t sunder armor worn by another character.