PDA

View Full Version : Your Most Awesome Moment

Halae
2010-08-27, 03:23 AM
Everybody has had incredibly cool moments in their roleplaying games. There nothing like finishing off that BBEG in a spectacular fashion, or a similar story, but these largely go unnoticed by any but our closest companions, who happen to also be our game buddies. And so I ask, would you be willing to share yours with the community?

I'll start us off My character was a Dread Necromancer named Ged Amlith. He was essentially the man people would overlook or make disgusted remarks about from the time he was born - a sorcerer whose innate powers had been corrupted by his wizard father's arcane meddling, leaving him a tomb-tainted soul, and it showed on his body, among his red eyes, pale, death-like skin, and frightening aura he carried with him. He was True neutral, more just trying to find his way in the world and garnering acceptance for himself than anything else.

Over the course of his group's adventures, The paladin of our group, who was quite accepting and not astick in the mud, as most people would have played him, approached my character with questions about his moral and ethical standings in life. After a very long period of time they had become good friends despite their differences.

The DM was running a campaign where an evil mastermind was essentially making everything in the world go to hell by putting all the pieces together to call not one, not two but three elder evils, to make damn sure that the world ended. The second was the Perfect Spell, a single spell that would transform the recipient into an avatar made up of all eight schools of magic, and take on an appearance similar to a prismatic titan. The man who succeeded in developing and casting the spell was a centuries old elven wizard who had spent the past 150 years researching this spell and the DM had set it up that if he cast it he'd essentially be every single casting class melded into one being capable of everything that he could ever want to do. We were meant to stop him before this happened.

As we enterred the citadel this wizard had holed himself up in and destroyed every guard he had put in our way, we finally met the wizard. He was just completeing the ritual, and we should have been able to kill him, except for one thing. The wizard cast force wall, trapping all but the paladin and Ged on the other side. they put up a valiant fight, but couldn't defeat the wizad on their own. Then, as the wizard's ritual completed, he took the last thing he needed for it - A pure life, and the paladin was a perfect example of one.

He fireballed the paladin and me besides, and Ged watched in horror as his best friend, his only friend in the entire world lay dying. His last words to Ged were "Do the right thing."

The wizard completed his spell, and it would have been a campaign ender right there, but I had a flash of insight. we had gotten roleplaying experience for the death scene, and we had been perilously close to level 16 already, and this just pushed us over the edge. I convinced the DM to let me take the spell I had just seen the wizard finish casting for my advanced learning at two levels lower, and eigth the power, and only using necromancy rather than all eight schools. He allowed it, because he was sure the campaign had just ended anyways, and I used it immediately, taking all the 2 minute casting time to achieve it.

Because of the sheer concentration of necromantic energy in this one place - that of my own spell as well as that of the wizard's - it warped one of the world's ley-lines, bending it toward necromancy and moving the direction it flowed so thatit went under our battlefield. Undead for sixty miles around noticed. Mindless undead stopped no matter what they were doing and turned to look in Ged's direction, and every intelligent undead felt the sheer awe inspiring power surging forth.

While the elven wizard became something that looked like a godly prismatic titan with wings and flowing robe, my character's transformation was different but no less spectacular. By the end of it he looked like a giant skeleton with feathered wings made from burning white energy.

The ensuing titanic battle was spectacular, and at the end of it, my character had spent all the energy he could muster, using the last reserves of his energy to destroy "The perfect arcane being" and thus ending his own spell. He fell to the ground outside the citadel, his left arm black and falling off and the sclera (whites) of his eyes having turned black. He was found by his remaining companions and nursed back to health, though his eyes remained black with red irises, and they could do nothing for his lost arm.

Still, from the point on, he was considered a hero, known as "The Bone Angel" and "The Man with Black Eyes". He was recorded in history as the only man to ever bend a ley-line, the only reason magic even existed in this setting, to his will. And that battle was what tipped my character over the edge from Neutral to Neutral Good. the DM decided he would waive the alignment restrictions. Just this once.

kamikasei
2010-08-27, 03:35 AM
Our magical girl team defeated the antagonists (who at this point we knew weren't really villains, but were causing a lot of collateral damage while trying to prepare for an impending disaster and were deliberately keeping the authorities, i.e. us, from helping, so the fight was to persuade them that we were strong enough to help against the real enemy).

Then we had tea and cake with them.

It was glorious.

FelixG
2010-08-27, 05:07 AM
Pen and Paper fallout game

We are fighting the BBEG, he is in a heavy power armor suit powered by a nuclear reactor, there are three other players and myself.

I am playing a combat bot from before the war and have maxed strength (can bench press a car if i was bored)

We beat him down on the deck of an aircraft carrier, we do fairly well then he just starts to laugh, he pops the chestplate open and reveals that he is going to take us all with him as the reactor is overloading just before he dies, now this guy has a tendency to come back from the dead in different ways, cybernetics and what not.

I pick up the corpse/armor planning on throwing it overboard, have cleared it with the GM that i can toss the armor far enough away to do it if i take a turn to aim and build up momentum for the throw, one play in his INFINITE brilliance does an aimed shot at the reactor... Blows half of the ship apart and drops me into the super structure, because of the massive armor i invested in earlier in the game i survive with 1 HP out of 300 left, i climb back out of the burning melted super structure, walk over and pimp slap the idiot off the side of the remaining deck for trying to blow me up. We won and we all got laughs from the epic ending.

Vantharion
2010-08-27, 07:34 AM
Pen and Paper fallout game

We are fighting the BBEG, he is in a heavy power armor suit powered by a nuclear reactor, there are three other players and myself.

I am playing a combat bot from before the war and have maxed strength (can bench press a car if i was bored)

We beat him down on the deck of an aircraft carrier, we do fairly well then he just starts to laugh, he pops the chestplate open and reveals that he is going to take us all with him as the reactor is overloading just before he dies, now this guy has a tendency to come back from the dead in different ways, cybernetics and what not.

I pick up the corpse/armor planning on throwing it overboard, have cleared it with the GM that i can toss the armor far enough away to do it if i take a turn to aim and build up momentum for the throw, one play in his INFINITE brilliance does an aimed shot at the reactor... Blows half of the ship apart and drops me into the super structure, because of the massive armor i invested in earlier in the game i survive with 1 HP out of 300 left, i climb back out of the burning melted super structure, walk over and pimp slap the idiot off the side of the remaining deck for trying to blow me up. We won and we all got laughs from the epic ending.

That sort of action deserves a Klondike bar.

Most epic moment:
Level 1 sorcerer successfully defeated three armed bandits. Nat 20 on bluff+Being an actor for fun=Them running terrified away leaving all the money in their pockets and their weapons.
It was awesome.
I've had some epic DM moments, but those are pretty easy to set up- Making a group of level 5s run terrified from a 12th level summoner is always entertaining.

shadow_archmagi
2010-08-27, 08:14 AM
Party was investigating this bar when suddenly ogre thugs everywhere.

The leader ran away. The DM had made it clear he was supposed to be a recurring character. I did not want him to escape. I wanted him for the inquisition.

(The setting hated wizards and had an inquisition to hunt them, and I was a self-styled psion//artificer commissar. )

So I ran after him, firing ectoplasm wads in an attempt to slow him down. The dice did not favor me, and they all missed. The ogre jumped on a boat and began sailing away. The DM thought he had won. I announced that I could just put a water walking enchantment onto my boots. The DM announced that the boat was flying away. I said to scratch the water walking; I was giving my armor the Whirlwind enchantment (60 ft fly speed, turn into a tornado 3/day)

I chased the boat. It fired a barrage of fireballs at me. I said "No" and used my Elan power to soak the damage using PP. I caught up and used Death Urge on the ogre; he jumped off into the water.

The DM announced that he was swimming DOWN, in an attempt to drown himself. I used Body Control (Basically, telekinetically pick someone up. Like magneto does to wolverine). Being an ogre, he passed his fort save. I noted that I had 17 PP left.

I used it again. Another save.

I flew into the water to get back into range and used it a third time. It worked.

So anyone watching sees an angry, 3 foot tall commissar slowly rise out of the water, mad as hell, followed by an ogre.

We land on the docks and I announce that as long as I have total psychic control of his body, I'm going to have him reach down and break his own legs. Then I'm tying him up and putting him in my bag of holding with his head sticking out.

I do this to the other, less important mooks too, so I arrive at the inquisition with a backpack with a bunch of heads sticking out of it.

The DM is half-laughing, half crying.

From then on, this is used as evidence as to why when I really want something to happen ingame, resistance is futile.

dsmiles
2010-08-27, 08:42 AM
Being born! :smallcool:

crillitor
2010-08-27, 08:52 AM
We were playing in a Starwars d20 game and were stopped between planets by space pirates (played by a PC who EVERYONE in the group hated). While he was boarding our ship and believing that we had no choice but surrender to him, my jawa took a spacesuit and completely rigged the pirates' ship with explosives. On the our captain's order, my jawa set off all the bombs and left the pirate captain was left suffocating in space. the guy who was playing the pirate didn't talk to us for a week after that and it was AWESOME.

aberratio ictus
2010-08-27, 08:55 AM

That's sad. I'm sorry. :smallfrown:

Zaydos
2010-08-27, 09:00 AM
In an RPG.

Playing a D&D 4e game where because the DM loved Doctor Who we were time lords fighting the Master.

I was a swordmage. The Master had left his TARDIS unattended in the form of a sword. I hacked the Master's TARDIS and used it as a sword when fighting the Master himself. It was awesome.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-27, 09:08 AM
Roleplay Awesome: Ennael met her parents in the afterlife, and spent a few days just telling them what she accomplished under their teachings.
Comedy Awesome: The next day she reincarnates as a weasel.

Action Awesome 1: Said weasel took an entire advanced camp of hobgoblins on its own
Action Awesome 2: In a war setup, sorcerers were defending a fortress, one of them put up a fire wall. Ennael took distance, jumped over the firewall, landed foot-first on the sorcerer who just put it up (a charge with a jump check) and tied him up the next round, put him over her shoulder and jumped back outside.
Action Awesome 3: One day, defending against a naval assault, the group boarded one of the enemy ships. For giggles, Ennael burned a few top resources to pump her str score and... "I tear the main mast off and throw it at an enemy ship".

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-27, 09:09 AM

That's sad. I'm sorry. :smallfrown:

pfff... Even babies can do that! :smalltongue::smallamused:

Ruinix
2010-08-27, 09:14 AM
MERP with rolemaster rules and mechanics.
i was playing a ""mage"" (don't ask), a silvan elf with some "natural" skills; the truth was i had so much power and spells i had to fluff and set down a bit everything i do, preatty much like gandalf in the books.

our group had 3 dwarfs, 2 humans, and me elf. the dwarfs has been a bit suspiciuos about me and what i do and what i dont do, and i was ok with the humans.

anyway, our group was on ithilien trying to help a village there with some bandid issues. our investigations lead us to some random forest near the village where the bandids set us a trap. the humans and the dwarfs where all "fighter" type, and they all fell near death in 2 arrow voleys, i was invi.
then when the last dwarf fell unconscious i unleash my full power XD, flash (all blinded), condense the water of the ambient making them all get wet from head to toe, then i cast an augmented lighting bolt fries in their chainmails XDDDD

after all that i notice 1 dwarf was just dazzed, so he saw me. after all the combat, when all the party were taunting me about my disappearance the witness dwarf defend me and thank me for save the party ass. XDDD

awesome epic moment.

aberratio ictus
2010-08-27, 09:16 AM
pfff... Even babies can do that! :smalltongue::smallamused:

All Babies can do that.

dsmiles
2010-08-27, 09:26 AM
All Babies can do that.

Yes, but not all babies are born as AWESOME as I am. :smalltongue:

aberratio ictus
2010-08-27, 09:28 AM
Yes, but not all babies are born as AWESOME as I am. :smalltongue:

Did you punch out the doctor when he tried to slap you?

Esser-Z
2010-08-27, 09:35 AM
Here're a few!

The Dice Gods Understand Awesome
Featured Charcters:
William Harvey, CG Paladin of Kord [friend]
Ariella Keldon, NG Swordsage [me]
The rest of the party is irrelevant to the story. In fact, they were almost irrelevant to the game. Only Elindir, crazy elf Wizard, and Al, annoying Rogue, ever really did anything outside of combat. Mind this was something like a seven person party.

After exploring a temple on a mysterious island, encountering mages that claimed salvage rights on the island, attempting to negotiate with them, getting imprisoned by them when the crazy wizard attacked during negotiation and getting himself killed, resetting time back a bit with a teapot of wish, and then embarking on friendly terms with the mages, we had arrived in the northern mage kingdom. Here, we had two goals: negotiate with the queen to keep our loot (if possible), and negotiate her aid in stopping an upcoming demonic invasion.

Negotiations went far more quickly than accepted. She readily granted us the items, and was fully willing to assist. Partial credit here must go to Will's amazing diplomacy score and charisma. There was but one, simple cost: the Will and Ari would both spend a night with the queen. This was a small price to pay for their aid, so we agreed.

As you can expect, it turned out to be not quite so simple. The queen went back on her word, and employed a mind control poison. A couple failed saves later, we were pretty well her thralls. Next morning, she brought us before the court, and party. We were given a mental command to express that we had desired to stay with her, and given one last chance to save (or the party would have to rescue us).

We rolled at the same time. The results?

Two natural 20s.

We turned around and punched her.

That's not quite the end, though. It turned out she was the consort of a sleeping god and had been queen for centuries, using an alchemical concoction to remain young, albeit at the cost of increase sexual desire. And so, she called upon her deity to awaken.

His statue behind her came to life, and we were a little worried. The paladin and I were the main melee, and neither of us was dressed. But the god wasn't angry at us, no.

He was angry at her, for having cheated on him over the years. And so, he turned his wrath on her, turning her into a giant snake. We ended up making good use of the new form's venom later on in the game.

Paladin vs Dungeon, fight!
Once again, we focus on William Harvey, with a bit of a side note from Ariella.

This story takes place in the dungeon mentioned in the previous tale. We found ourselves in the Test of Endurance, having to run down a long hallway, pursued by a relentless spiked wall. At this point, I take advantage of my pretty high balance check to attempt to cling to the wall. It works, and for the rest of the scene I ride the wall.

William, however, eventually decides he's tired of running, and turns to face the wall. He braces himself, and grabs hold.

Several strength checks later, it grinds to a halt.

William Harvey: he fought the wall, and he won.

Go now, and fly well!
That same game yet again, this time with some presence from two more characters! Kinda
Ceridwen, the bard. Pretty quiet for most of the game. Bit of a dominatrix, which would matter more if she did anything.
Galeon. William's celestial dire lion.

So, this is after the Mage Kingdom. We find ourselves facing some flying dragons in a pretty open field, attacking us from above. I talk the DM into letting us aim for their wings with ranged weapons, trying to bring them down to the ground

Ceri's bow had been relatively useless for most of the game, doing minor pings occasionally. But this time, she aims and fires, rolling a crit. The arrow cripples one of the target dragon's wings, sending it plummeting towards the ground. Before it hits, Galeon intercepts it, pouncing it out of the air.

The mages used magic missiles to deal with the other. That left one more. I took this one. As it swooped down, I leaped into the air, and with successful skill rolls (and use of the no-penalty-from difficult terrain stance. A dragon is difficult terrain), I found myself successful on its back.

The dragon tried to shake me off as it ascended, but I held on. Come my next turn, I set my sword ablaze and used a maneuver that would set the thing I hit on fire. Easy hit, crippled its flight capacity.

And so I rode a flaming dragon to the ground, leaping off to land perfectly in front of it.

A Paladin's Job
This story comes from a game run by William's player. I'm not sure if others agree that it's awesome, but I definitely did.
The relevant party members here are Sim, a changling Witch, and Elizabeth, my Paladin of Imoedae.

We were traveling through some woods when we were set upon by bandits. During the course of the fight, Sim sets fire to a region of forest, flushing some of the bandits out. A valid tactic, but...

This was an inhabited forest.

After the fight, Elizabeth storms over to Sim and punches her, then proceeding to give a speech about not endangering innocent lives, which the fire could easily do. It is her job to protect the innocent, defend those who need it, and vanquish evil. The latter does not override the first. The potential destruction of that many lives is too high a cost.

I mostly tell this because it reminds me of how awesome I tend to view the Paladin class as.

NPC? We don't need no stinkin' NPC
This game was run by the same person as the first game. Starting party consisted of
Emily, Human Rogue
Lena, Elf Wizard (me)
Amber, human sorc (fluffed as basically a weapon created by a druidic order), same person as Will Harvey.
A human barbarian, I forget her name. She didn't stick around long, because the player ragequit after wanting to play some sort of concept that, apparently, none of our suggestions fit and could only be played by gestalt or something, and then calling the mages 'chauvinists' because they used their cantrips or, uh, something. But that's not a story for this thread.

Before the start, the DM told us we'd been imprisoned by the Evil Emperor, and would be broken out and then geassed into a quest by an NPC.

We decided we didn't really like this idea. So we made several plans about how we could deal with this NPC. We ended up not using any of them, because...

Game start. Our cellblock has all of one guard. So, Lena charms him (the only time I ever used that particular spell or, I do believe, that particular school) , Amber uses Ghost Sound to distract him, and then Lena mage hands the key off of his belt. He continues on his rounds, and we unlock the prison.

Then the DM's NPC, a level 15 sorc with a Robe of the Archmagi which just so happened to match my Wizard's alignment, shows up. He tries to use Hold, Mass on us.

We save.

The Rogue trips him, the barbarian grapples him, and we strip him of his equipment. I confiscate the robe for my own use, massively boosting my WBL.

AND THEN it turns out the quest was to go about destroying the wards that protect the demon that powers the Emperor. Something the entire party would be quite willing to do. Aheh.

Strike from the Heavens! Dracoknight!
Later in that game, around level 9, I decide to switch characters. Lena is a summoner, and I find myself constantly slowing down the battles. I change to a PF Cavalier, riding a roc reflavored into a Fire Emblem style wyvern (Four legs, no sting, looks more like a dragon), Vaida.

Her debut session involves the party climbing a mountain. It starts with a miniboss encounter! Two black dragons, old enough to fly. The DM's plan is for us to find a creative way to deal with flying enemies. It is not to be.

We all roll higher int than the dragons, which are not yet airborn. I, however, am. Rogue goes first, manages to trip one of them. My turn.

Now, understand, this character is not an ubercharger. She's specialized at charging, yes, but I'm sure I've not given her everything I possible could.

So, on my turn, my mount tucks in her wings, and I charge one of the dragons. My lance drives straight through its skull, killing it instantly. The rest of the party quickly finishes off the other.

The True King's Duty
4e game, I'm playing Marcus Armstrong, Human Warlord, mayor of a village, and secretly the lost heir to the throne.

The party meets me in another village, where I'm visiting to discuss some matters with the local leader. We go do some stuff, then return to find a crowd in the middle of town.

Apparently, the nymph of their local lake is angry, and is poisoning the water. She has demanded a maiden sacrifice . So they have an elven girl tied to a stake, with the mayor and high priest about to set her aflame. Being a noble hero, Marcus cannot allow this.

He charges through the crowd, drawing his fullblade to down the high priest with one stroke. The mayor decides foolishly to attack, and quickly falls as well.

So, now, I'm surrounded by a crowd of angry citizens, the rest of the party on the other side, having just killed the two highest ranking locals. This could be bad. I decide to try to calm them with a speech.

Marcus gives a talk about justice, revealing himself as the proper heir (something he had just discovered earlier). He explains that it is the king's duty to protect his people, something the ursurper has failed at. I roll my diplomacy, and get a very high roll. High enough that the entire population now supports me. I promise to find another way to fix the lake, and we set out.

Wolves in the Woods!

Same game as the previous. Along the way, we encounter a group of hungry wolves. Normally, this would be a standard low level encounter, but Marcus is the True King. So instead we offer them some of our rations.

This works. The wolves are pacified, and one even takes a liking to the party's Warlock, Ari, who ends up keeping her. Said wolf becomes a beloved party pet, and next level he takes Arcane Familiar, using her.

dsmiles
2010-08-27, 09:36 AM
Did you punch out the doctor when he tried to slap you?

No, but according to my mother, I pissed all over him. :smallbiggrin:

thubby
2010-08-27, 10:00 AM
the party has been captured and constantly beaten to low HP.

my frenzied berzerker (with iron heart cheese) loses it in the "interrogation" and proceeds to beat the interrogator into unconsciousness with a chair, beat the 2 guards to death with his body, then use their gear, bodies, and a door as thrown weapons to kill the enemies in the next room (he was shackled so melee was a problem) where the party rogue is being interrogated.

at this point im massively in the negative so i keep berserking and have to start chasing the rogue.

he realizes the problem, escape artists out of his bonds and lures me where the psion is being held. he health-transfer-thing-s me into not-dead territory, i cheese out of berserk, and they go save the cleric.
i beat people to death with a door and saved the day doing it :smallbiggrin:

a phrase that has gone down in infamy in my group "i telekinetic thrust them 300 ft, down"
due to an old standing houserule where telekinesis does the equivalent falling damage for every 10 ft the target can't move (if you smack them into a wall or something)
thus was born bob the telekinetic, master of tenderizing meat and very dented floors.

Esser-Z
2010-08-27, 10:05 AM
Also there was that time in a Star Wars game where my pilot character lander a starship on Darth Vader.

Reis Tahlen
2010-08-27, 10:54 AM
The whole 3 year long, solo campaign I GMed with my wife.

She battled the Greek Gods during their attempt to take over the world, went to Olympus, epic-battled Zeus, discovered Zeus was manipulated by Loki, went to Asgard, fought the Nordic pantheon, discovered Loki was associated with Morgana to make the Earth fall into Chaos, went to Castle Sidi, fought against Mordred and Morgana, but arrived too late, so upon Morgana's death, the Chaos Energy exploded and made Atlantis come back from the depth of the sea, activation of the Atlantean Automaton Army, ubber-epic battle against the Machine God-King of Atlantis, helped her father using the Atlantean Energy to open the Gates of Tartarus, freeing the Titans (yeah, she and her family were bad guys), learned that even if you worship the Titans, that doesn't prevent them to slaughter 99% of humanity, jumped trough time thanks to a Chrono Mage just when Chronos was about to finish the last 5 human survivors on Earth, prevented her father to open the Tartarus Gates, discovered that Atlantis and the Titans were creations of an alien race, the Old Ones, who are sorta space conquerors, travelled troughout space to find a way to destroy the Old Ones Emperor-God, came back to Earth, prepared the planet for the invasion, participated in a battle with the Old Ones on one side, and on the other side every nation's army, the Church, the Pantheons, Heaven and Hell, and finally destroyed the Emperor God by fusionning with the energy of all living being in all possible realities.

Yeah, I think I can say that was awesome.

Lhurgyof
2010-08-27, 01:27 PM
Ok, well I was playing a Yuan-ti Monk (Seefi Lüs) in a Dark Sun game, and we ended up fighting a Cerebrelith that was a lot stronger than all of us. All I could do is flurry and stun him every so often, and we were getting into increasing depravity... then 20... 20... 20... 20! The DM goes to the instant kill rule in the DMG and rules that I ran up and ripped the Demon's heart out...

kestrel404
2010-08-27, 01:35 PM
My character was recently given shape shifting powers. I can turn into anyone I meet, or anything I kill. Since then, the party has been getting into battles with progressively stranger creatures. We're currently on a journey off the edge of the explored territory map, so that's to be expected. However, it means that I'm meeting/killing lots of interesting new things.

I have been treating this kind of like pokemon - gotta catch 'em all. And as such, I've been 'pokebattling' various enemies, choosing a 'combat form' that can easily defeat whatever I'm currently fighting. In the party's battle last night, I made a poor choice. I decided to be a lightning lizard (a large gecko that shoots lightning) while fightning a flying enemy. I expected to take out my opponent at range. What I did not know was that this enemy not only had a very high rate of movement, but also an engulf attack. So I get one shot off, and then it eats me. And then flies away. Over the side of the ship. Several hundred feat out over the ocean.

The party thinks I'm toast and is talking about how they're going to track this thing, as they have no chance at all of catching it. I just ask, 'is it my initiative yet?'. So after taking some damage from being digested, I get to go.

I turn into a sperm whale.

thubby
2010-08-27, 01:50 PM
I turn into a sperm whale.

as hilarious as this is, i can't get over the fact that you went and hunted down a sperm whale for the form

Snake-Aes
2010-08-27, 02:00 PM
You speak as if you wouldn't! The practicality involved in being able to spontaneously turn into a large animal or sentient tentacle is just undeniable!
And I'd probably argue that I "killed" that chest on the other side of the room.

Shademan
2010-08-27, 02:14 PM
guy was playing a half ogre or sumfin'

"so our character and mounts combined weight increases the couched lance damage?"
"that is correct"
"...dude, I grab the battering ramp and mount one of those elephants"
".....uhm...how many damage dice is that?"
"ALL OF THEM!"

Blackfish
2010-08-27, 03:00 PM
My group has mixed success in anything we try, but at least it's always interesting.

Last year my group was playing a game of Star Wars Sagas where we were all playing criminals. I was playing one of two Scoundrels in our first mission for a rich businessman, where we were hired to steal some priceless artifact from an art dealer. We managed, through rolling some incredible bluff checks, to get him to trade us the artifact for a standard, several credit dagger, which we claimed was the Dagger of Exar Kun.

Our second mission involved stealing some incriminating papers from the offices of a popular club in the Lower City on Coruscant. We had a Wookiee and the human scoundrel go in the front to distract whatever guards there were while the soldier and my Bothan scoundrel went around back. The human scoundrel was kicked out of the club because he looked shady and the Wookiee tried to kick a guard to cause a distraction. He missed, but rolled a great bluff to pass it off as a dance move. While the club was distracted by the ensuing dance party, my Bothan scoundrel and the soldier blew a wall off the building, ran into the grab anything in the offices, including a giant blaster rifle and all the papers we could find, and escaped in a nearby van. The van was at 3 hit points when we escaped and the club blew up, thanks to our scout, who had stayed behind with the rest of the explosives.

We decided to lay low, meaning of course that we would derail the campaign by heading to Nar Shaddaa. We got back to our junker and prepared for take off instead of collecting the reward for our mission when the police showed up. They were standing on the ramp into the ship along with the Wookiee and soldier, while I failed my bluff checks badly. It ended with a firefight between three cops, the Wookiee and the soldier while I ran out through the cargo bay and sealed the door with a blaster shot to the control panel. I then told the pilot, the other scoundrel, to do a barrel roll, which successfully dislodged all five people on the ramp. We escaped to Nar Shaddaa, minus two party members.

On Nar Shaddaa, the new characters of those two players stole from a Hutt right before our mission to an asteroid belt near Nar Shaddaa. We ended up killing a Rancor with stun weapons before being killed by several landmines and an argument over a box of whiskey, before the Hutt ever had a chance to capture us.

In a different game, I made an awesome melee combatant droid. Unfortunately, the rest of the group discovered restraining bolts and used them to shut down the droid so that they could stop a landspeeder by throwing the droid in front of it. They then took the dented droid and left him in a closet for four hours (in real time). The droid later saved them all, except for the one who had the idea to throw me in front of a landspeeder.

Yukitsu
2010-08-27, 05:20 PM
I usually have one awesome moment per character, awesome being the moments that make the entire table stop and stare at me for a little while in awkward silence. They're best when described with absolutely no context given.

Fai's best moment:
Player 1: "I recommend you don't try using any of your divinitory powers on the horrible little girl here, oh great and powerful oracle."
Oracle: "Why not? She seems *dies of a heart attack*"
Player 1: "Well, we did warn her."
Fai: "If I were her, I would have seen that coming."

William Shepherd's best moment:
DM: "And describe how Shepherd enters the fight."
Me: "They see a well kept farmer surfing on a flying space crocodile, wielding 8 scythes charge into battle."
DM: "8?"

Cael's best moment:
Celestial woman: "And in exchange for that knowledge, I will get to have your first child."
Cael: "But I haven't got a child. Hmm. I wonder how one goes about getting one?"
*Three days IC later, there is a dissapointed celestial, a gender swapped and pregnant Cael and a very protective stick.*

Jo's best moment:
DM: "You're surrounded by zombies and evil mechanical super soldiers, you're alone as a non-combatant, you're in a death trap, and you're holding an item of such palpable evil that even your mundane senses can detect it. What do you do?"
Me: " Let's try out that item. No harm trying."
DM: "... I didn't think any of you would actually be that dumb. Hold on while I think a second. Ah, OK. In your mind, you see a beautiful but obviously evil..."
Me: "I hit it. Does a 46 diplomacy work?"

Allistaire's best moment:
DM: "How do you want to introduce your new character?"
Me: "They see a well dressed rogue in shiny clothes (rogue paladin) picking a lock in the dungeon."
Player 3: "We call out to him and see if he wants any help."
Me: "Distracted by the sudden unexpected interuption, I fumble my disarm check. Let's see that trap, and I'm taking 1s on those saves for dramatic effect."
DM: "A fireball hits your square, you hear a wailing cry of a ghostly woman, and then a pile of rocks fall on your head, killing you instantly."
Player 3: "Oh geez, I'm sorry!"
Me: "I walk up behind him, toss my arm over his shoulder."
Allistair: "No problem there."
Player 1/DM: "But didn't you just..."
Me: "Here's my character sheet, these are the abilities I used."
DM: "...You bastard."

Lorne's best moment:
Lorne: Hi Kenneth! Good to see you again!
Kenneth: *frothing rage*
Lorne to new party members: "He's just mad that I cut his good arm off."

Drakevarg
2010-08-27, 05:24 PM
As a DM:

I caused a TPK using a zombified middle-aged lady. The party meatshield's mom.

This was actually an accident. I was playing around with some of the zombie varients from Libris Mortis. Turns out that regenerating zombies with super speed are just a little bit impossible to kill.

James the Dark
2010-08-27, 06:59 PM
Most awesome recently?

I tore off the head of a powerful vampire, set it on fire, then threw it through the head of the next most powerful vampire. In Mexico.

Most awesome that came back to bite me in the ass?

Same guy as above, a lot earlier. He's facing down the big bad, on his own, because nobody else could. Big Bad has Big Bad Weapon, something that can kill by touching you. So what do I do? I dodge his attack, and tear his eyeball out. Of course, he counters by kicking me in the chest so hard my heart flies out, and I die. But then, because I had several months before use Big Bad Weapon to mercy-kill my older brother, he was waiting for me. He used his magic to make me a brand spankin' new body, and hurled me back through the gate to oblivion that Big Bad was using. I walk into the world, put Big Bad's eyeball into my empty socket, steal Big Bad Weapon, and kill Big Bad with it.
Big Bad later returned as an Avatar of the concept of Death. He was not amused with my antics.

Most Awesome In Character and Out?

After RPing slowly going crazy with above character, I managed to actually take the GM off the rails (and this guy has extremely flexible and sandboxy rails), taking a trip into the celestial realm of Eternity. There, I have The Sands That Are Chronos, which were giving me quite a few bonuses to my resilience and abilities, ripped out of my body, since they were making me turn slowly evil.

Dethroning Moment of Suck?

Very early in the campaign, I flipped the bird to Fate. It's been haunting me ever since.

jake pepmax
2010-08-27, 07:14 PM
Was in a rouge trader game and we had just landed on a forge world but everything was quiet. Everyone xplored for a bit, apart from the void master as he had to leave mid game. We couldn't find alot due to our low perception skills. :( Apparently we could of found a leman russ, instead we got a space taxi. :P Then we heard chanting from a crator 7 miles wide and a small figure in the middle preaching to the people, everyone chanting marshal every so often.

The group made our way through the crowd and didn't really notice anything right up until we could see the guys face, and found out he was a champion of nurgle. The tech preist in the group shot at him with a plasma gun he picked up earlier and the champion exploded, turning into a great unclean one.

The group tried running back out of the crator, fighting and killing cultests on the way and the rouge trader ordered the void master back on the ship to start fireing lances and laser batteries from the ship at the greater deamon. All this while the GM was playing one winged angel.

In the end i got the kill with a point blank inferno pistol to the face. :P Everyone within 20 meters had to take a mutation as it exploded and covered everything with all kinds of mutagens and chaos sludge.

shadow_archmagi
2010-08-27, 07:36 PM
Was in a rouge trader game

In the grim darkness of the future there is only blush

jake pepmax
2010-08-27, 07:41 PM
In the grim darkness of the future there is only blush

Gah :S My bad, always spelling it wrong. Blush indeed.

shadow_archmagi
2010-08-27, 07:54 PM
Gah :S My bad, always spelling it wrong. Blush indeed.

THE K IS FOR KOSMETICS

oh god this is the best idea for an alternate setting

"ORKS IS MADE FOR TWO THINGS: FIGHTIN, AN BEIN PRETTY"

Gravious
2010-08-27, 11:23 PM
Well, we had a party of 3 (Me, the level 3 Sorcerer who loved to make things explode, A, the level 3 Human Cleric obsessed with money, and B, the level 4 Lizardfolk Fighter who's motives remain unclear) and we were EXTREMELY overpowered. We had been fighting in the arenas for money, and got to the Champion.

DM: *evil laughter* I think you'll love some of the things I got last time I shopped for miniatures. *places a blue lumpy miniature on the table*

Me: What.... is that?

DM: It's called a Slaad.

Me: Sounds easy to kill.... (Never actually look at monster stats much :|)

DM: Yeah, good luck with that. You see a strange blue creature step out from behind the gate on the opposite side of the arena. It looks almost liquid in its motion. Roll for initiative.

Us: *fail miserably at initiative*

DM: *moves Slaad up to me... I'm down to -7*

Me: CRAP! Crap, crap, crap!

A: *heals me*

B: *fails at hitting, but manages to irritate it*

DM: *Slaad attracks B*

Me: *maximized magic missiles*

A: *maximized inflict critical wounds*

B: *Hits the Slaad for near-unnoticeable damage*

DM: *Slaad hits B, B is at half health*

Me: *Quickened Magic Missile, Magic missile*

A: *inflict critical wounds*

(For us, maximize made the spell do double damage as well, but it was 1/day)

*Slaad is down to half health*

B: *chugs healing potion*

DM: The Slaad melts into a puddle of goo, then reaches out to attack B. *hits for a load of damage*

Us: *several Magic Missiles/Inflict X wounds later, the Slaad was down. 1,000 XP for us all*

DM: *mouth open for a bit* That was going to be my way of killing the party and making you guys roll up non-overpowered characters.....

Me: What? What effective level was that?

DM: ...20 *facepalms*

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-28, 11:05 AM
Well, we had a party of 3 (Me, the level 3 Sorcerer who loved to make things explode, A, the level 3 Human Cleric obsessed with money, and B, the level 4 Lizardfolk Fighter who's motives remain unclear) and we were EXTREMELY overpowered. We had been fighting in the arenas for money, and got to the Champion.

DM: *evil laughter* I think you'll love some of the things I got last time I shopped for miniatures. *places a blue lumpy miniature on the table*

Me: What.... is that?

DM: It's called a Slaad.

Me: Sounds easy to kill.... (Never actually look at monster stats much :|)

DM: Yeah, good luck with that. You see a strange blue creature step out from behind the gate on the opposite side of the arena. It looks almost liquid in its motion. Roll for initiative.

Us: *fail miserably at initiative*

DM: *moves Slaad up to me... I'm down to -7*

Me: CRAP! Crap, crap, crap!

A: *heals me*

B: *fails at hitting, but manages to irritate it*

DM: *Slaad attracks B*

Me: *maximized magic missiles*

A: *maximized inflict critical wounds*

B: *Hits the Slaad for near-unnoticeable damage*

DM: *Slaad hits B, B is at half health*

Me: *Quickened Magic Missile, Magic missile*

A: *inflict critical wounds*

(For us, maximize made the spell do double damage as well, but it was 1/day)

*Slaad is down to half health*

B: *chugs healing potion*

DM: The Slaad melts into a puddle of goo, then reaches out to attack B. *hits for a load of damage*

Us: *several Magic Missiles/Inflict X wounds later, the Slaad was down. 1,000 XP for us all*

DM: *mouth open for a bit* That was going to be my way of killing the party and making you guys roll up non-overpowered characters.....

Me: What? What effective level was that?

DM: ...20 *facepalms*

How are these level 3 characters tossing around so many Quickened and Maximized spells?? :smallconfused:

shadow_archmagi
2010-08-28, 11:10 AM
How are these level 3 characters tossing around so many Quickened and Maximized spells?? :smallconfused:

Indeed. Quicken raises the level of the spell by 4.

How is your 3rd level character casting 5th level spells?

White_North
2010-08-28, 12:40 PM
More importantly, how is a level 3 cleric casting a level 7 spell?

Tyndmyr
2010-08-28, 01:31 PM
And how is a CR 20 mob not instagibbing you with one hit? I don't recall a slaad's stats, but most CR 20 melee types should be able to down level 3 characters with ease.

Nick_mi
2010-08-28, 01:53 PM
Was trying to bullrush a huge 50 foot tall 25 foot wide demon gate trying to destroy it. They just brought a HUUUUUUGE cage through. They had numerous baloths and demonds with huge chains trying to pull the door open.

As I am sprinting for them, I see one of the evil cronies who used to be an ally PC player who turned rogue and became a NPC. We've fought before, he can assume the form of a black dragon. =/

So I ask my DM how far away is he. Dm says 200ish feet. I tell him my ranger is going to shoot at him. First shot is a 17 which is barely a miss(keep in mind i'm running, he's really far away, etc). Then I shoot again and roll a 20. Critical threat. Roll a 20. Imminnant death blow. Roll a 19.

Done. Killed that guy with an instant no questions ask kill shot. A couple of turns later the demons finally yank this gigantic door off, and out steps a tarrasque. >_<

I proceded to destroy the tarrasque with some time and effort.

Afterwords, the DM tells me that the fight was going to be much harder because the dude I one hit KOed had about 300 hp and his sole goal was to buff and heal the tarrasque. :P

Ilmryn
2010-08-28, 03:31 PM
I was DMing a game for two players. One was playing a paladin, the other was playing a half-dragon duskblade. In a fight against a weird monster(can't remember its name), the half dragon uses his breath weapon, a line of lightning, killing the monster and burning a hole in the door behind it, going through to the next room. Upon this, the paladin cries out:
"You could have killed innocent people!!!" and proceeds to slap the half-dragon. Then they open the door. Behind it, there's a dead kobold.

shadow_archmagi
2010-08-28, 03:55 PM
And how is a CR 20 mob not instagibbing you with one hit? I don't recall a slaad's stats, but most CR 20 melee types should be able to down level 3 characters with ease.

Let's see...

A Slaad is a CR 6-8 creature depending on whether it's red green or blue.

It has a full attack of two claws at +14 for (1d6+6) and a bite at +12 for (2d8+3)

Thus, if all three hits land, it deals a minimum of 20 and an average of 31.

A level three sorc with a CON of 24 has 33 HP.

This is beyond overpowered. This is "We did not, in fact, read the rules and just wrote numbers at random"

darkpuppy
2010-08-28, 04:24 PM
My own most awesome moment was the infamous Force Speed Wheelbarrow. There we are, with our GM running the Star Wars d20 Republic sourcebook adventures, and we're in the one where we rescue the senator. We get there no problem, and the GM describes an old fashioned lawn on this mostly low tech planet. We get to the senator, and, lo and behold, fifty squillion stormtroopers surround the place.

ME: So, uh, this is a primitive world?
DM: Yup.
ME: With a really well kept lawn?
DM: Perfectly well kept.
ME: Sooooo... there's a garden shed nearby?
DM: Yeeeessss...
ME: With, say, a wheelbarrow, some rope, and a tarpaulin?
DM: Make a search check
ME: Er... 18.
DM: Yes, you find a wheelbarrow, some rope, and a cloth tarpaulin fairly quickly.
ME (to the rest of the party): Get the ambassador in, no questions, and I'll meet you back at the ship... (Hands a note to the DM)
DM: (Reads note, starts laughing uncontrollably)
ME: Can I do it?
DM: Sure, but you'll need a DEX check.
ME: Okay... 18.
DM: It's uncomfortable, but you're running at quite a speed, and the senator is quite safe... The ship is looming up.
ME: Okay... I keep running.

The senator only survived me forgetting to decelerate by my rolling two natural 20s in a row, and running backwards into the hull. I'd decelerated enough to survive, and, furthermore, take the brunt of the damage. Just.

Dust
2010-08-28, 05:53 PM
I was playing a bard in 4e, and we were trying to save this town from...jeebus, all SORTS of stuff. The volcano at the top of Mt. You'redoomed was going to explode and demons were pouring out from the base, and so forth and so on.

I was psyched because about four weeks prior we had hit Epic tier after saving a godling, and as a reward, the GM had a God grant us each a boon in the form of custom Utility power. Knowing the volcano fight was coming up even if the rest of the group didn't believe me, I requested a song that could hold off natural disasters. The GM pondered this for awhile, worried, and eventually we worked it out.

Back to the present. So we're battling hordes of things halfway up this mountain and it starts to rumble, and I bust out the song. Grinning wickedly, the GM reminds me of the details of what we had worked out, and how he had pulled a fast one by massively limiting the range of the power to within 10 squares - 50 feet.

I'll be damned if this stops me, so my bard breaks away from the combat and rushes up the mountain to the very apex. Still not close enough to the eruption? I DIVE into the center of the lava-filled mountain, taking massive amounts of fire damage each round, and start to rock out. (Remember, I had been anticipating this and had taken the time to get a few pieces of anti-fire-damage equipment.) So my very last song is echoing out of the mountain as the lava churns and my face is literally melting off, sweeping down over the valley and inspiring my allies to greatness the way a bard SHOULD, DAMMIT. The other PCs finish off the rest of the demons and evacuate the city just as I finally take the last few points of damage needed to finish me off after about 17 turns of this ridiculousness. The GM can't believe it.

No part of my body is ever found to raise of course, but the song still echoes like from a whispering, spectral force throughout the valley and the volcano has been dormant ever since.

shadow_archmagi
2010-08-28, 06:29 PM
My own most awesome moment was the infamous Force Speed Wheelbarrow. There we are, with our GM running the Star Wars d20 Republic sourcebook adventures, and we're in the one where we rescue the senator. We get there no problem, and the GM describes an old fashioned lawn on this mostly low tech planet. We get to the senator, and, lo and behold, fifty squillion stormtroopers surround the place.

ME: So, uh, this is a primitive world?
DM: Yup.
ME: With a really well kept lawn?
DM: Perfectly well kept.
ME: Sooooo... there's a garden shed nearby?
DM: Yeeeessss...
ME: With, say, a wheelbarrow, some rope, and a tarpaulin?
DM: Make a search check
ME: Er... 18.
DM: Yes, you find a wheelbarrow, some rope, and a cloth tarpaulin fairly quickly.
ME (to the rest of the party): Get the ambassador in, no questions, and I'll meet you back at the ship... (Hands a note to the DM)
DM: (Reads note, starts laughing uncontrollably)
ME: Can I do it?
DM: Sure, but you'll need a DEX check.
ME: Okay... 18.
DM: It's uncomfortable, but you're running at quite a speed, and the senator is quite safe... The ship is looming up.
ME: Okay... I keep running.

The senator only survived me forgetting to decelerate by my rolling two natural 20s in a row, and running backwards into the hull. I'd decelerated enough to survive, and, furthermore, take the brunt of the damage. Just.

Unless it's clear that you intended to ram the ship, your character should have been bright enough to decelerate on his own.

That said: You put the senator in a wheelbarrow, and then ran really, really fast?

darkpuppy
2010-08-28, 06:58 PM
Unless it's clear that you intended to ram the ship, your character should have been bright enough to decelerate on his own.

That said: You put the senator in a wheelbarrow, and then ran really, really fast?

He was one of those GMs that kept us on our toes by requesting we think about certain actions like decelerating, and it was, nonetheless, hilarious... And yes, that was pretty much the gist of it. I put the senator in a wheelbarrow, put the tarp over him, tied it all together so he wouldn't fall out, and ran really, really fast. :smallbiggrin:

I was lucky, in a sense. It was a straight line from the senator's mansion to the dock... :smallcool:

EDIT: Keep in mind that that was pretty much the only awesome moment poor Nayell Darhan had. He was known in BURPS as the "Force Inept" ... the GM was right to rule that he didn't think about slowing down, because he really wouldn't have, he was that bad... :smalltongue:

shadow_archmagi
2010-08-28, 07:03 PM
He was one of those GMs that kept us on our toes by requesting we think about certain actions like decelerating, and it was, nonetheless, hilarious... And yes, that was pretty much the gist of it. I put the senator in a wheelbarrow, put the tarp over him, tied it all together so he wouldn't fall out, and ran really, really fast. :smallbiggrin:

I was lucky, in a sense. It was a straight line from the senator's mansion to the dock... :smallcool:

EDIT: Keep in mind that that was pretty much the only awesome moment poor Nayell Darhan had. He was known in BURPS as the "Force Inept" ... the GM was right to rule that he didn't think about slowing down, because he really wouldn't have, he was that bad... :smalltongue:

His crowning moment of glory was to pick someone up and run really fast?

He had a habit of being really dumb?

Why were you playing Forrest Gump In Space!?

crazedloon
2010-08-28, 07:08 PM
I once caught a dragon in a home made tornado than killed it with lighting :smallbiggrin:

It involved a crit 1 on a save and a lot of wide eyed cursing by the DM

darkpuppy
2010-08-28, 07:10 PM
His crowning moment of glory was to pick someone up and run really fast?

He had a habit of being really dumb?

Why were you playing Forrest Gump In Space!?

It wasn't actually intentional, it was partly that that was something like my 3rd roleplaying game ever, and partly because my dice rolls were, to put it bluntly, rather crap. Good example, the first hook in the Republic sourcebook campaign involves two droids on tattooine that, while looking like "the droids we're looking for"... weren't.

DM: The stormtroopers are stopping each landspeeder and opening the trunks looking for something... two are coming your way, what do you do?
ME: I wait till they get close, and use Force Suggestion... "These aren't the droids you're looking for..." (rolls a natural 1)
DM: The stormtroopers are understandably quite upset. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN? HOW DO YOU KNOW WE'RE LOOKING FOR DROIDS?"
ME: Errr... I try again... [gritted teeth] "No, these really aren't the droids you're looking for!" (Natural 1, and now out of Force Points)
DM: "WE'RE LOOKING ANYWAY! ...... nope, these aren't the droids we're looking for."

uglymartini13
2010-08-28, 10:40 PM
Playing a 4e game that was just starting out and usualy I am the DM but my friedn was being a douche and wrote out a quest and somehow got to play it. So here I am level 1 cleric with just a ****ty build using only PHB 1. I broke his game, witin the fisrt 3 rounds. It was epic and he can never DM again yay me! :smile:

Amoren
2010-08-29, 12:25 AM
Hehee, I suppose I have a couple (although most of my RPing Crowning Moments of Awesome come from non-table top games).

I was playing in a Call of Cthulhu one-shot game. My character was a punk teenager living in the 80s? 90s? Forget which, but he was apparently a dropped out of college pharmacy aide who had found his professor's necromatic book, thought it was totally awesome and punk, made a photocopied copy and created a band in an attempt to infuse his song's with the spells he had managed to gleam.

We go through the game, and find out that what's causing the plot to take a page from Steven King's 'Mist' is from a church who's summoning these eldritch abominations. The party groups up and finds a boat, rides through the growing apocalypse and eventually get to the island off the shore where the cult/church is congregating, about ready to great their divine leader who's riding in on a helicoptor. He describes in great detail how the Church Leader waves at them from the side of the copter (my character has yet to spend a single spell, although he was revealed as at least a deluded believer in necromancy via another person's 'Suggest/whatever' spell). Unknowingly, the leader was a powerful cultist/whatever who likely would have shook off whatever spell I used on him. Luckily, I had a different target in mind.

Me: Can I see the helicopter pilot?

Cue the DM describing in epic detail how my character's eyes turn black, he falls to his knees form the sheer power he was invoking (75% of his total magic points), and collapses... While the church leader turns to see his pilot's head literally mummify and then crumple into dust in seconds. He dies in a horrible painful death as the copter plummets to the ground and take out a large swath of the congregaters. He had to roll up stats for the pilot, and never got to use that same spell against us. :D

Another few fun ones, from DnD 4e.

I was playing a charisma based Assassin as part of a campaign where we were all part of a Thieve's Guild (started at 7th level, we were around 11 when this event happened). He's a melee Assassin, despite being a charisma based... DPS one, so I was relatively unhappy with my decision since my Assassin would typically fall to negative hit points at least once a battle.

Anyway, we're facing a black dragon (large sized, unsure of age but could fly), and a drow dragon rider. Battle goes bad for the dragon rider, who was rendered helpless in the first attack (but at least managed to teleport away before we could coupe de grace him), he goes down first. Gloom Fang the dragon is left in the middle of a party melee flanking fest.

I use one of my Assassin's encounter powers, the one that causes him to step into his opponent's square after the attack, then step out to a square adjacent at the beginning of my next turn. Cue the dragon's turn, he's hurting and wanting to escape, badly. He uses his standard action to stun everyone around him with his Fearful Presence. He then uses his move action to fly 80ft, straight up. Cue my shocked laughter as I realized what was going to happen at the beginning of my Assassin's next turn... (He still didn't die, got darn close though).

The next one is from an earlier campaign, one that had ended prematurely because a lot of the original party members left so it was just easier to make a new campaign. It was mostly a political intrigue campaign, with most of the party revolving around one player, a Dwarf Warlord prince/heir who was set to be married with an NPC. My character was a level one kobold rogue named Logaem, who was the Warlord's loyal slave (he was suffering from Stockholm syndrome since he was abducted as a child, and believed the dwarfs had rescued him from a life amongst the other kobolds. And, given that he's a slave and not really a warrior, all his weapons are actually cooking implements to support his Dungeoneering/Cooking skill.

The first campaign session I didn't have my own dice, so the DM allowed me to burrow a set he wasn't using. In every combat within that first campaign, I must have rolled a twenty every other attack... By the end of it after we left the tavern we had been ambushed in, my kobold had earned his last name, Crimsonscale, named after the crimson blood that stained his scales from exploding minions with a +1 Songblade dagger taken from the bard hired to capture us. The party lived in FEAR of him; even his Warlord Master gave the slave his fair portion of the gold handed out from the adventure because as he put it "If the slave wanted to, he could easily kill us all".

Another session involved us delving into a cave with the bard that I had acquired the dagger from tied up and brought with us. The Warlord had ordered the kobold to douse her in lantern oil during the interrogation, threatening to lite her alive if she didn't answer our question. The first encounter inside the cave we have are Styrges (or whatever those small flying bat-like blood suckers are), and two of them instantly latch on to the bound and hapless barb. My kobold, on his turn, then pulls out a torch and tosses it at the bard to light her aflame to take out the two blood suckers. >:D

I swear, I'm going to bring back that kobold in some game, maybe as an NPC King of Kobolds. He was such an awesome guy and I feel cheated that the campaign ended only after three levels. (By the way, free shifting as a minor action with a class' who's bonus damage is automatic is so overpowered... Even more so if he was allowed to take the Dragonmark of Passage and shift two squares as a minor action! xD

JerichoPenumbra
2010-08-29, 01:57 AM
Awesome moments:
My low-level archivist/beguiler on the first floor of a building with 11 STR picking up and throwing a chair towards an assassin on the 2nd floor balcony and successfully criting the would be killer into the negatives. With a chair.

Early in a campaign my Elf wizard got into an argument with the spellscale bard and had his familiar attack the bard. The familiar did a called shot to the guy's nose and proceeded to roll two nat 20s in a row and bit part of the guys nose off. From that point on the bard was afraid that familiar for the rest of the game. Here's the best part: the familiar was a Lemming.

Later on in the same game the eccentric gnome rogue brings with her a pigeon on her shoulder that hops onto the dinner table. Tandri (my wizard) brings out Teri (his familiar) from his pocket and plans to have a gladitorial match between the two thinking his familiar would kill the bird. But when Teri got into battle position...
DM: The pigeon goes into a stance from the Karate Kid and it's wings are suddenly wreathed in flames.
Entire Party:*Stares*
Tandri: Teri, back away slowly and get back into the pocket.

DaragosKitsune
2010-08-29, 04:04 AM
I was playing in a Call of Cthulhu one-shot game. My character was a punk teenager living in the 80s? 90s? Forget which, but he was apparently a dropped out of college pharmacy aide who had found his professor's necromatic book, thought it was totally awesome and punk, made a photocopied copy and created a band in an attempt to infuse his song's with the spells he had managed to gleam.

Out of curiosity, have you ever heard of Lord Raptor from Darkstalkers? If not, look up his back story.

I don't have any personal stories, but their is one that a friend did.
Plot: Women have been disappearing from a small town. All evidence points to the town blacksmith, who had done some kind of magical ritual but the evidence was found we illegally broke into his house. We find out that the missing women have been turned into statues by the blacksmith, but he denies it.

Party Face: We found evidence that you are the culprit when we searched your house.
Blacksmith:(Confused and surprised) Wait, you were in my house?
The entire party freezes for a few seconds before the Fighter hits him in the face with a shovel, separating his head from his shoulders due to a natural 20.

Reynard
2010-08-29, 05:05 AM
Here're a few!

The Dice Gods Understand Awesome
Featured Charcters:
William Harvey, CG Paladin of Kord [friend]
Ariella Keldon, NG Swordsage [me]
The rest of the party is irrelevant to the story. In fact, they were almost irrelevant to the game. Only Elindir, crazy elf Wizard, and Al, annoying Rogue, ever really did anything outside of combat. Mind this was something like a seven person party.

After exploring a temple on a mysterious island, encountering mages that claimed salvage rights on the island, attempting to negotiate with them, getting imprisoned by them when the crazy wizard attacked during negotiation and getting himself killed, resetting time back a bit with a teapot of wish, and then embarking on friendly terms with the mages, we had arrived in the northern mage kingdom. Here, we had two goals: negotiate with the queen to keep our loot (if possible), and negotiate her aid in stopping an upcoming demonic invasion.

Negotiations went far more quickly than accepted. She readily granted us the items, and was fully willing to assist. Partial credit here must go to Will's amazing diplomacy score and charisma. There was but one, simple cost: the Will and Ari would both spend a night with the queen. This was a small price to pay for their aid, so we agreed.

As you can expect, it turned out to be not quite so simple. The queen went back on her word, and employed a mind control poison. A couple failed saves later, we were pretty well her thralls. Next morning, she brought us before the court, and party. We were given a mental command to express that we had desired to stay with her, and given one last chance to save (or the party would have to rescue us).

We rolled at the same time. The results?

Two natural 20s.

We turned around and punched her.

That's not quite the end, though. It turned out she was the consort of a sleeping god and had been queen for centuries, using an alchemical concoction to remain young, albeit at the cost of increase sexual desire. And so, she called upon her deity to awaken.

His statue behind her came to life, and we were a little worried. The paladin and I were the main melee, and neither of us was dressed. But the god wasn't angry at us, no.

He was angry at her, for having cheated on him over the years. And so, he turned his wrath on her, turning her into a giant snake. We ended up making good use of the new form's venom later on in the game.

Nice. I see that DM has read some David Eddings.

kestrel404
2010-08-29, 09:04 AM
I remembered another one. I was playing in a Serenity larp (rules-light homebrew system). My character was tracking someone down. It was highly illegal work, so I knew that if I got caught I was dead. I didn't know who in the game the target was, only that it was a she and I had a genetic 'scanner' that could work off of blood or hair samples.

I'd managed to narrow the field down to two characters, one tough-as-nails alliance military type, and one sneaky engineer. It was nearly the end of the game, and the engineer had disappeared entirely so I decided to try testing the Alliance Military girl. There was a fight scene. I won. I tested her, and it wasn't her. And while I was bent over the unconscious body of the Alliance Major, the head of station security walked in.

There was another fight scene, and this time there was enough noise to attract more people. I took a hit and decided to pretend to be out of action (pretty convincing since I had a nasty chest wound). They started to question me, and all I would say was "That information is above your clearance level. Look up code <random letter/number sequence> in the Alliance recognition codes database."

They bought it, everyone was suddenly convinced that I was a secret Alliance agent (although confused as to why I attacked the Major). The doctor treated my chest wound, and sat me down in the lounge area (medbay only had one cot, and that was being used by the Major). Most importantly, they left me ungaurded except by a couple of civilians.

So I ran. Specifically, I ran through the portion of the station that had earlier had an air leak and was under temporary vacuum seal patches. I ran through vacuum, and escaped!

There was also a minor chase scene in the hangar bay, but everyone was so shocked that I went through vacuum to escape that no one had really thought to tell the one guy in there that I was under arrest until I'd already started openning the hangar doors.

thubby
2010-08-29, 10:02 AM
just remembered another.
i was playing a single class fighter as the party's tank. but rather than going deep into some charge or shield build, i took everything.
improved trip, twf, a feat that lets you use your str for thrown, and a few feats to back up ranged combat, even unarmed combat and the flurry-type feat from bo9s.
oh, and some things that gave ac and saves to nearby allies if i had a shield.

for most of the campaign he had been an adequate meat shield but never really stood out... until the bbeg. in one round, i tripped the miniboss squad (free attacks on the lot of them), disrupted the boss' spell with a thrown axe, and stepped back to give a crucial bonus to the debuffed cleric.

in the next round the miniboss squad was critically injured so i ran up and stunning foot-ed the boss.
it worked :smallbiggrin:

grimbold
2010-08-29, 01:08 PM
dming my 11th level party had a very epic situation, 4 pit fiends in a row, they killed them i n1 round apiece.
1st one,
wizard; quickened fireball disintegrate!
pit fiend; saves both times
Cleric Baleful polymorph
pit fiend; saves
Druid Baleful Polymorph
pit fiend; saves
Bard; reads baleful polymorph scroll and fails to cast it
Paladin; (with speed blade so he got extra attack and improved cirt) crit, crit hit hit YAY 150 damage
Dm; not enough to kill
Ranger; ((w/ twf and improved crit) hit hit Crit hit Crit Crit
yay 140 damage!
all of this in round 1
this was supposed to be the boss of the adventure so i was like what the hey lets toss out another

pit fiend Arrrgh i lost initiative :(
wizard; Disintegrate
pit fiend; natural 2 and fails saving throw

okay i think i will toss out another one

pit fiend arrgh i lost initiative
wizard disintegrate
pit fiend; saves
druid; baleful polymorph
pit fiend natural 1
Dm; CRAP

ok last 1 i think to ymself

pit fiend arghh i lost initiative (yes i know they get plus 7 call it luck on the parties part)
cleric; balefulpolymorph
pitfiend; fail save
cleric YAY A PET SQUIRREL!

Nidogg
2010-08-29, 01:37 PM
The current game im playing over msn. (im not supposed to know the others chas but
Me-A human wiz
An elven beguiler
An incarnum feated rouge

We have to spread fear among the people (this is an EVIL camaign) My plan is to raise the dead and proclame their anger or recruit all firstborns into the watch and use them to terrorise their own families (suggestion) The others wanted to burn things. they set things on fire including a bar which I was deliviering my speech and ruined my hypnotic patternThey then went and burned down a brew masters potion shop causing an eigth of a city to be destroyed. We reported back to the employer, our next mission is to stop whatevers going on.