PDA

View Full Version : quick draw vs gloves of storing in 3.5

heymejack
2010-08-27, 04:52 AM
without using tome of battle, what are good ways to be switching weapons all the time? my character is mounted, switching between the bow and a lance, but i just cannot afford the feat for quick draw, there are already so many other feats i need. can't add flaws either. and i'm already a strongheart halfling, and taking the ranger variant that gets the feat at 4th.

really, my question is this: what's better, quick draw and the gloves of dexterity? you get +3 for the gloves, but:

the feat i'd have to trade for it is precise shot. which negates a -4, effectively giving me +4. so if that's the only factor, seems like precise shot is the way to go. and use two gloves of storing, lance in one, bow in the other.

but quick draw is good for other reasons, too. like if i end up off my mount, in hand to hand, i could quick draw my sword or whatever.

are there any other good ways to do this?

Adumbration
2010-08-27, 05:02 AM
I remember seeing a weapon enhancement or crystal that gives you quick draw for that weapon. It was very cheap, but I can't remember where it was.

hamishspence
2010-08-27, 05:06 AM
Probably Magic Item Compendium if it was a crystal- given that MIC is the only source for weapon crystals.

Adumbration
2010-08-27, 05:10 AM
Probably Magic Item Compendium if it was a crystal- given that MIC is the only source for weapon crystals.

Just checked it, not there. I actually remember it just because someone on these forums wrote somewhere that Quick Draw was worth 300 gps, because an item that gave it cost that much. So maybe not the most reliable source.

HunterOfJello
2010-08-27, 05:11 AM
One of my favorite items in the game.

Least Crystal of Return
This crystal allows you to draw the weapon to which it is attached as a free action.
300gp

The Lesser Crystal (1000gp) allows the same thing and to call the weapon to your hand from 30ft away as a move action (if it's unattended). The Greater Crystal (4000gp) gives the weapon the Returning property from the DMG to a thrown weapon.

~

Weapon Crystals are special magical crystals that can be attached to a single weapon at a time. A weapon can only use one crystal attached to it at a time. Weapon Crystals are really great because there are cheap ones that are highly efficient and more expensive ones that can be transferred from weapon to weapon as you upgrade your gear.

If you buy 3-4 Least Crystals of Return and attach them to each of your weapons, then you can switch them all out as free actions. This is a much better option that taking the Quick Draw feat.

~

Some other good crystals include the Least Crystal of Truedeath, Demolition and Feindslayer (1000gp) which each add 1d6 damage against Undead, Constructs and Evil Outsiders respectively. They're great to attach to weapons or switch out based on the upcoming situation.

DanReiv
2010-08-27, 05:13 AM
Least crystal of return MIC pg 65

Least: This crystal allows you to draw
the weapon to which it is attached as a
free action.

Marnath
2010-08-27, 04:04 PM
and use two gloves of storing, lance in one, bow in the other.

but quick draw is good for other reasons, too. like if i end up off my mount, in hand to hand, i could quick draw my sword or whatever.

are there any other good ways to do this?

By RAW, I don't know that you can even use two gloves of storing together. But obviously most people would let you.

Bayar
2010-08-27, 04:30 PM
and use two gloves of storing, lance in one, bow in the other.

That wouldn't actually work. Note that the item's name is Gloves of Storing, not the singular Glove. The description of paired magic items is that you have to wear both to work. Otherwise, we would have people using only one boot of Striding and Springing and the other a Boot of Elvenkind or something.

Marnath
2010-08-27, 04:31 PM
That wouldn't actually work. Note that the item's name is Gloves of Storing, not the singular Glove. The description of paired magic items is that you have to wear both to work. Otherwise, we would have people using only one boot of Striding and Springing and the other a Boot of Elvenkind or something.

No, it is actually called glove of storing. But it specifically says you can't use anything else in the slot anyway. I think.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-27, 04:53 PM
Either case it is better to get the gloves of the master strategist from ghostwalk, same abilties as glove of storing plus a true strike effect 1/day, and MUCH more cheaper around 3800 gp iirc

Greenish
2010-08-27, 04:59 PM
No, it is actually called glove of storing. But it specifically says you can't use anything else in the slot anyway. I think.Glove of the Master Strategist from Ghostwalk doesn't have that stipulation, though it mentions it "works like the glove of storing" (in addition to the 1/day true strike).

[Edit]: And since I have the book in front of me, it's 3600 gp.

Marnath
2010-08-27, 05:04 PM
Also, there's Casting Gloves in the MiC that do the same thing, but also let you use wands,scrolls and potions stored in them, and they specifically are a pair of gloves. For exactly equal double the glove of storing's price.

*edit In one of the faerun books there's a minor artifact that is a singular +8 bracer of armor.

Lord_Gareth
2010-08-27, 05:06 PM
There's a weapon enhancement (I don't know the source) called eager - an eager weapon grants a +1 bonus to initiative and Quick Draw with regards to itself.

Greenish
2010-08-27, 05:18 PM
There's a weapon enhancement (I don't know the source) called eager - an eager weapon grants a +1 bonus to initiative and Quick Draw with regards to itself.It's in MIC, and grants +2 to initiative and +2 to damage on surprise round & the first round of combat.

Though you only get the initiative boost when already holding the weapon.