PDA

View Full Version : PF Item Creation Question

subject42
2010-08-27, 10:20 AM
Does anyone know if there's a definitive rule for Pathfinder item creation and spell prerequisites? There are two conflicting sections in the SRD that have left me confused.

The DC to create a magic item increases by +5 for each prerequisite the caster does not meet. The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create spell-trigger and spell-completion magic items without meeting their spell prerequisites.

If spells are involved in the prerequisites for making the item, the creator must have prepared the spells to be cast (or must know the spells, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) but need not provide any material components or focuses the spells require. The act of working on the item triggers the prepared spells, making them unavailable for casting during each day of the item's creation. (That is, those spell slots are expended from the caster's currently prepared spells, just as if they had been cast.)

Daremonai
2010-08-27, 02:00 PM
It seems fairly straightforward to me - the caster must have the prerequisite spell(s) - which are expended during creation.

If they don't, they fail to meet that prerequisite and the DC increases by 5.

Diarmuid
2010-08-27, 02:07 PM
I disagree.

The spell must be a "known spell" for the caster, this cannot be overcome by increasing the DC by 5. Otherwise wizards would be creating wands of Cure Light Wounds.

The poor wording is:

"The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create spell-trigger and spell-completion magic items without meeting their spell prerequisites."

because directly after that they list another exception. of needing the spell to be one of your spells known.

subject42
2010-08-27, 02:14 PM
"The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create spell-trigger and spell-completion magic items without meeting their spell prerequisites." .

I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like a wizard could add +5 to the craft DC to create a continuously active wondrous item of cure light wounds if he has the item creation feat.

sokbeest
2010-08-27, 02:24 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like a wizard could add +5 to the craft DC to create a continuously active wondrous item of cure light wounds if he has the item creation feat.

I'm not sure that making a spell with duration "instantaneous" into a continuously active item makes any sense :smallconfused:

subject42
2010-08-27, 03:11 PM
I'm not sure that making a spell with duration "instantaneous" into a continuously active item makes any sense :smallconfused:

Shillelagh, then.