PDA

View Full Version : My kitty is sick

Marnath
2010-08-27, 01:38 PM
Hey playground. Just found out my cat has some sort of feline aids or some immunity lowering thing and has weeks to live. We got special medicated food and stuff thats supposed to help, but my bigger concern is what to do with her sister. What do i do to help a pet deal with the death of another pet? They've been together ever since they first opened their eyes, and i'm afraid she'll stop eating or something afterwards. Any advice?

thubby
2010-08-27, 02:27 PM
love her, be with her if she wants, get her food she really likes if she stops eating. there really isn't much you can do beyond that.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-08-27, 02:30 PM
Hey playground. Just found out my cat has some sort of feline aids or some immunity lowering thing and has weeks to live. We got special medicated food and stuff thats supposed to help, but my bigger concern is what to do with her sister. What do i do to help a pet deal with the death of another pet? They've been together ever since they first opened their eyes, and i'm afraid she'll stop eating or something afterwards. Any advice?

FIV? Cats can live for years with that with proper care. It's like HIV. As long as you take care of it and are careful, you can live for years with HIV.

Marnath
2010-08-27, 03:39 PM
FIV? Cats can live for years with that with proper care. It's like HIV. As long as you take care of it and are careful, you can live for years with HIV.

My vet gave her a couple weeks. She's got kidney failure too. She's lost a lot of weight recently(which is why we took her in in the first place.)

CoffeeIncluded
2010-08-27, 04:17 PM
My vet gave her a couple weeks. She's got kidney failure too. She's lost a lot of weight recently(which is why we took her in in the first place.)

...Oh. I'm sorry. :smallfrown:

Marnath
2010-08-27, 04:40 PM
Thanks. Knowing that this is part of having a pet doesn't make it easier, but I'm glad that she's not in pain right now at least. I hope that stays that way.

Starfols
2010-08-27, 06:14 PM
If you're concerned about your cat's sister, there's not really much you can do to prepare. If your cat is missing her, you'll know. Give her lots of love and attention, and make sure she knows she has a buddy, even if he's human. That's the best you can really do. :smallfrown:

Marnath
2010-08-27, 07:02 PM
If you're concerned about your cat's sister, there's not really much you can do to prepare. If your cat is missing her, you'll know. Give her lots of love and attention, and make sure she knows she has a buddy, even if he's human. That's the best you can really do. :smallfrown:

That's what I was afraid of, can't really force a cat to do anything. She's always been the alpha cat, so to speak. So maybe she'll be fine, idk.

Kish
2010-08-27, 07:11 PM
I'm so sorry. :smallfrown: Now, as for the sister...

I would suggest getting another cat to keep her company. For obvious reasons, one who is established as getting along well with other cats and who you judge unlikely to challenge her alpha-cat-ness.

Marnath
2010-08-27, 07:15 PM
I was thinking gerbil in a cage, but a new cat might work too. I'll have to think about it. :smallsmile: Maybe a fuzzy little grey one or something.

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-08-27, 09:48 PM
I'm so sorry you have to go through that. Pets, man, they never stick around long enough.

Pets' reactions to the loss of other pets is sort of a crapshoot, even if they're close. When one of my dogs died, my other dog was clearly affected, but seemed to get over it very quickly. My cats--brother and sister--always had a very hot/cold relationship. When they weren't at each others' throats, they were quite fond of each other. When one died, I'm honestly not sure if his sister even cared, or noticed. Of course, my cats were both in the running for the title of Weirdest Pet Ever, so don't consider that scenario the standard.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-08-27, 11:50 PM
Wow, I'm sorry. :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown:
*Hugs and pats on the back.*

mucat
2010-08-28, 12:09 AM
I'm sorry your cat is sick; I hope she can still enjoy the time she has left.

As others have said, the best thing you can do for both cats right now, and for the surviving cat after her sister is gone, is to spend time with them and give them lots of love and attention.

I would not rush to buy a new cat to keep the survivor company. Cats can find it really stressful when a new cat shows up in their house, even if they will eventually be great friends. You don't want to hit her with two major stresses at once.

Sympathies once again, and I hope the time they can both still spend together is happy.

Jallorn
2010-08-28, 12:19 AM
I remember when my cat, who my family got a year before I was born, died. He was 17, and I just sort of noticed one night that he wasn't moving around much. So that night, I stuck him in his pet bed and stuck that near his food. When I woke up, he was gone. It was very sad. I miss him.

Eadin
2010-08-28, 07:11 AM
I'm so sorry:smallfrown:
But if your cat has FIV (feline version of HIV), you might want to have her sister checked too, just to be safe. It's contagious...

Other that, your kitty will let you know what she needs.
make sure she doesn't get sick herself and give her the love she needs, that's all you can do

Lord Loss
2010-08-28, 09:18 AM
I'm so sorry... :smallfrown:.

I know a bit on the topic, seeing as my father It is of utmost importance that the two cats are kept seperate. FIV is transmissible by skin-breaking bite (I think there may be a few other ways to transmit it, but I don't remember off the top of my head). Also, I strongly reccomend that you return to the vet with the cat's sister to have her checked as well.

-Sincerely, L.L

Eadin
2010-08-28, 11:09 AM
I'm so sorry... :smallfrown:.

I know a bit on the topic, seeing as my father It is of utmost importance that the two cats are kept seperate. FIV is transmissible by skin-breaking bite (I think there may be a few other ways to transmit it, but I don't remember off the top of my head). Also, I strongly reccomend that you return to the vet with the cat's sister to have her checked as well.

-Sincerely, L.L

^ it's transmissible by as you said skin-breaking bites, fluids like blood and semen.Actually like just like HIV.
Those are the most important ones.

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-28, 11:25 AM
So sorry :smallfrown:. If your cat is sick, all I can say is to keep the cat happy. Pet it, give it treats, or just let him sleep if that's what he likes.