PDA

View Full Version : Converting 3.x to 4.0! (Work in Progress)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-08-27, 02:00 PM
Hello and welcome to my newest homebrew thread!
Today I will explore making your pile of nigh-obsolete rulebooks useful again. Not only is this a great $$$ saver but it also helps you take some of your favorite 3.x concepts and use them, and almost nothing feels better than getting a big new pile of books!

THE BASICS
First you must find what you are going to convert, more recent 3.x books are a bit easier than older ones for the simple reason of better formating and fluff.
Next you must adjust the level, here is a helpful table:
{table]3.x Level|4e Level
1|1
2|3
3|5
4|7
5|9
6|10
7|11
8|12
9|13
10|14
11|15
12|16
13|17
14|18
15|19
16|20
17|22
18|25
19|27
20|30
[/table]
The table is meant only as a rough guide, if you feel that whatever you are converting needs to be a different level than the table indicates then feel free to change it, you probably shouldn't deviate more than 4 or 5 levels though.
The table can be used for anything: traps, monsters, encounters, adventures, ect.
Third you must adjust the concepts to fit whatever 4e universe you are using.
You should have no problem with Eberron or Dark Sun, but the core world (or as I call it, "CoreTora") and Forgotten Realms it might take a bit of effort.
After that you will want to move on to another section.

CONVERTING RACES
Races probably require the least raw math to convert, all you have to do is:
1) Take all the key aspects of the race (a good example is the Kenku, with "mimicry" and "great ally"). You must then balence them and convert them to 4e mechanics, feel free to scale them up or down as long as they remain a key aspect of the race.
2) Ability score adjustments, this takes basically no instructions, just as long as it feels right than it's good.
3) Give 2 +2 skill bonuses, this follows the same rules as ability scores.
4) Give a racial encounter or at-will power (not a daily), see step one.
If no key aspects make good powers then make up something that seems right or give them an extra-good racial trait.

MORE COMING SOON