PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have had this reaction?

WarKitty
2010-08-27, 02:01 PM
How many of you have had people think you're doing something dirty when you tell them about your roleplaying games?

My personal story: I DM'd a game over skype. We all typically change our display names to those of our characters. I changed mine to "The Evil DungeonMistress." Bad move. Within the hour I had several guys asking to contact me (I was the coordinator so I had to let people add me so they could join the game) for, um, other activities. Needless to say my name changed pretty fast.

Sir_Elderberry
2010-08-27, 02:02 PM
I once said "I still don't think we should have killed that baby." far, far too loudly in a What-A-Burger.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-27, 02:09 PM
I've been expelled from shopping malls before. The most memorable one was in an exalted game where I said I'd just explode the whole place rather too loud.

Xefas
2010-08-27, 02:10 PM
I once said "I still don't think we should have killed that baby." far, far too loudly in a What-A-Burger.

This is usually my situation when stuff like this happens.

(Subject: How do Evil doers sleep at night? Submitted Hypothesis: White Noise)

My corollary:
"Asmodeus probably has these giant metal chutes in his bedroom, with massive blenders under them, and when he goes to bed, he turns them on, and a cascade of hundreds of screaming human babies just continuously pour into the scything blades for hours on end. I imagine the bones cracking and the blood spattering everywhere is the white noise that helps him sleep at night. And plus, in the morning, baby puree! Breakfast is already ready!"

Our waitress, who had approached from behind me without alerting me to her presence: O_o

Shademan
2010-08-27, 02:16 PM
closest thing I have was when I used a drinking horn as a codpiece... cough
there was some reaction yes

valadil
2010-08-27, 02:20 PM
I don't think I've gotten a reaction like that for telling people I game. Talking about game in public is another matter though. Too many game related conversations center around the logistics for illegal activities, murder, and blatant racism. I've gotten some very weird looks from people who didn't realize the conversation was about fiction.

Marnath
2010-08-27, 02:29 PM
Our waitress, who had approached from behind me without alerting me to her presence: O_o

I don't blame her one bit. That's a horrible mental image, especially if you mean she got the last line or two out of context.

Umael
2010-08-27, 02:47 PM
My... um... most interesting experience has been when I got a little too enthusiastic during a LARP game.

Yelling, "Now you all die!" while downtown, outside the police station... and the 911 calltakers... is not exactly what I would call wise...

One of my gaming friends used this to his advantage once though.

He worked in an electronics store during the same time we were LARPing, and would often talk about some of the things that happen in-game as if they were in real life. His supervisor asked him about it, and he confided that it was just a game, but that he would appreciate it if the supervisor did NOT tell the other employers - so that both of them could get enjoyment out of their co-workers' reactions. The supervisor agreed.

After this arrangement, he would talk about mob hits that went bad, fatal explosions, how he knew a guy who threatened a pregnant 11-year-old with a sword. His co-workers started to wonder if he was involved in some serious, heavy crimes, but there was never any concrete evidence.

However, two of the best moments crowned this when some of the other people involved in the LARP got in on it.

The first time, one of the players called the store to talk to my friend, but referred to herself by her character persona. So the co-worker who answered the phone looks up and says, "Hey, C, there is a Mrs. Giovanni on the pho-"

Before he finishes, my friend gets this horrified look on his face and leaps over the counter, grabs the phone and curls up away from everyone, talking into the phone in a hushed voice and with a very worried expression.

Once he was finished, his co-worker gave him an even weirder look.

"Um, C, what was th-"
"You don't want to know."
"Yeah, but-"
"You DON'T want to know!"
"Okay...:smalleek:"

The second time, one of the other gamers (N) actually came into the store while dressed as his character - which meant sunglasses and a pin-striped suit, very sleek gangster-esque. My friend, noticing that one of his co-workers that he didn't like was trying to spy on them, decided to have a little fun.

"Hey, N, could you do me a favor? There is this guy behind you. Could you suddenly turn around, glare at him, and then point him out to me?"

N whipped his head around, glared at C's co-worker, then looked back at C, jerking his thumb over his shoulder in the co-worker's direction. The co-worker, thinking that a real-life mafiosa just picked him out of the crowd for some reason, about wet his pants and quickly made himself scarce.

"You mean like that?"
"Perfect."

After N left, the co-worker (timidly) approached C.

"Hey, um... C? What was that ab-"
"You didn't see anything."
"Yeah, but-"
*glares* "You. Didn't. See. Anything!"
"...okay.":smalleek:

LibraryOgre
2010-08-27, 02:49 PM
The time it almost happened:

So, we were playing Rifts, and were setting up an ambush. We're talking about explosions, mines, overlapping fields of fire, arguing over how much explosives would cost and how much we need. It was pretty late and the townhouse had pretty notoriously thin walls.

Then we see the police lights outside. And we realize this is only a couple or three months after Columbine.

We talk about it for a bit, and finally send the GM (who also happened to be one of the folks living in the townhouse) out to find out what's going on. We're placing bets on whether or not he'll get arrested.

Turns out it wasn't us at all; someone had stuck a rag in someone's gas tank and set it on fire, and we were almost blown up by someone's exploding car in the parking lot. But there was that few minutes when we thought we were going to have to explain Rifts...

grarrrg
2010-08-27, 02:50 PM
I don't blame her one bit. That's a horrible mental image, especially if you mean she got the last line or two out of context.

Uh, dude, even IN CONTEXT it's pretty horrible.

Jolly
2010-08-27, 02:53 PM
What happens in character stays in character. ;)

RandomNPC
2010-08-27, 02:58 PM
I remember some friends talking about the evil game we just started, we were standing outside a grocery store. Anywho, they plan on clearing a halfling village off the map, and just as a little old lady walks by my two friends turn to eachother and yell "We can even kill the mayor!"

Xefas
2010-08-27, 03:04 PM

Yes, I realize, and I don't blame her either. Part of the context was my parodying the increasing levels of 'gore' that my players seemed to require for someone to be deemed 'evil'.

I'm fine with someone being "evil", in that they tax their citizens into poverty while using their money and political influence to live above the law in the lap of luxury while everyone around them is starving, or something similar.

My players (at the time) only seemed to care how many orphanages you'd burned down or similar over-the-top imagery to classify how "evil" someone was, despite the fact that you can't expect there to be *that* many ridiculously psychopathic people in the world. I was making light of that.

I didn't mean my post to insinuate that that's the sort of thing I regularly talk about over dinner, or that someone would be in the wrong for being put off by it.

Tetsubo 57
2010-08-27, 03:09 PM
I can remember back in '78 or '79 a whole group of us running outside at 3 AM to tell some friends that had just left, "We killed Satan! WE KILLED SATAN!" at the top of our lungs. We were very happy we had killed Satan. Under the Storm Giants castle I think.

BlckDv
2010-08-27, 03:10 PM
Yeah, my best one was from a V:tM LARP being played in a large hotel next to an airport. The plot had a demon on the loose that the Giovanni had several secret records about, and they had made contact with a Setite who had a lot of arcane skill, and all agreed that they would need to do an exorcism before the Setite's magic could be used to trap/destroy/whatever the demon. So, the Setite player (dressed in a very revealing dress) steps out and sees a guy in a roman collar, and flags him down, and after he confirms he is a Catholic Priest, she takes him to the Giovanni meeting, a conference room full of folks in suits and somber looks. They tell him that they need his help for an exorcism, and offer him favors in Necromancy or using their criminal connections to handle a problem for him. He says sure, but he has to go get his things...

...moments later, one of the LARP staff happens to walk by the front desk and hear a man on the phone with the cops... the guy was a REAL Catholic Priest who just happened to walk through the LARP play area when leaving the hotel. It took a bit of explaining but was settled without the cops coming out.

I had another one when playing an Assamite (in a Lawrence of Arabia style costume), but I'll save it for another time.

drengnikrafe
2010-08-27, 03:14 PM
My friend and I were going to get foam and duct tape for our boffing group. As a lady walked by, all she heard of the conversation was "So, we'll get the stuff here, then take it back home and beat people with it."

Dr Gunsforhands
2010-08-27, 03:15 PM
I run a Pathfinder game using the Kingmaker campaign and there is a typo in the book where one of he encounters is called 'The Wangering Giant'.

"....Did he just say Wangering Giant?"

"I'm sure he meant Wandering Giant."

"I hope he meant Wandering Giant, somehow a Wangering Giant sounds worse."

"I don't want a Wangering Giant anywhere near me."

"That's what she said!"

"I'm changing my name to Wangering Giant."

Starscream
2010-08-27, 03:17 PM
I've never said something horrific and been overheard, but I once played a bard and when a waitress overheard me talking she assumed I was an actual musician. She asked if I was in a band, and I told her yes and gave the name of our adventuring party.:smallbiggrin:

The funny thing was, she pretended she had heard of us. Either that or there's a local band called "King Edgar's Men".

Ignition
2010-08-27, 03:18 PM
Man, I get this reaction every day, regardless of being in game or out of game :smallwink:

Tyndmyr
2010-08-27, 03:57 PM
My friend and I were going to get foam and duct tape for our boffing group. As a lady walked by, all she heard of the conversation was "So, we'll get the stuff here, then take it back home and beat people with it."

Oh yeah, boffer fighting leads to all kinds of interesting stories. I don't know how many times people have reacted to overhearing violent stories about that.

And of course, it's always fun explaining to the cop that no, really, it's ok that you're shooting your friends with a longbow in the park. I've never actually gotten into trouble over it, but it's amazing how skeptical they are some time.

Some poor larper got his boffers confiscated in toronto a while back...they thought they were real(how you confuse something covered in foam for a weapon, I don't know). I'm sure he had such a situation.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-27, 04:00 PM
Some poor larper got his boffers confiscated in toronto a while back...they thought they were real(how you confuse something covered in foam for a weapon, I don't know). I'm sure he had such a situation.

The same way people hear a noise and are just too sure something is going on until they look down and see it's their own feet rustling against the carpet. It's just not safe to assume people won't think it's the real deal.

grarrrg
2010-08-27, 05:12 PM
"I'm changing my name to Wangering Giant."

Ahhhhh, typos, is there anything they can't do?

Eldan
2010-08-27, 05:33 PM
Well....

"You going to the Dungeon later?"
"Yeah. Need anything?"
"Could you pick me up some Bleached Bone and Graveyard Earth?"

Blame Games Workshop for giving their paint stupid names. And the local shop owner for naming it "The Dungeon".

Alternatively: "Dwarf Flesh", "Red Gore".