PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Obscure Spells [3.5]

Starscream
2010-08-27, 02:46 PM
I was looking through a few of my less often used D&D supplements, and started thinking about all the cool spells out there that you seldom see. Core spells get used a lot simply because they are core so everybody knows about them and has access. And highly optimized spells get used just because they are so powerful (and often broken).

But what about obscure spells that are just plain fun? What are your favorites? Here are some of mine:

Perfect Summons (BoED): 40 foot radius good spell in which any summoning that happens automatically produces only good creatures. If someone attempts to summon a non-good creature, its closest good equivalent appears, and does whatever it wishes (and can't be dismissed). This would be tons of fun to pull on a Balor. It tries to summon another Balor and ends up with an angry Solar instead. Hilarity ensues.

EXTRACT GIFT (FC1): Capture a demon and permanently rob it of some of its abilities to add to yours. This is a permanent effect, not an instantaneous one, so beware dispels and anti-magic. And it's an Enhancement bonus, so you can't stack it with items or use it to get extra spells. That explains why you probably won't find it mentioned in any optimization threads, but it's still sweet. And not even an evil spell.

ENTICE GIFT (BoVD): No relation to the previous spell. Target must make a will save or hand over whatever it is holding. Pretty much a save or lose against anything that needs its weapon to put up a fight. Expect to get a DMG hurled at you if you use it against the Big Bad while he is gesturing dramatically with the Artifact of Doom.

SPIDER HAND (BoVD): Your hand turns into a small monstrous spider. It can walk around, climb walls and ceilings, and scout (you can see through its eyes), and if it gets killed you take a piddling 1d6 damage (and yes, you get your hand back). Super fun way to look around, set off traps, and pull pranks when shaking someone's hand. And it's only a level 1 spell.

NECROTIC SKULL BOMB (CoR): Throw a skull at someone and cause 1d4 negative levels. I like this one as a DM because it allows me to use negative levels against players, but the duration is explicitly too short to make the level drain permanent. Nobody likes permanent level loss - it makes things suck for the player, and the DM needs to recalculate appropriate CRs and redesign encounters if too many party members are affected.

Telonius
2010-08-27, 02:54 PM
Defenestrating Sphere, CArc. Throws enemies in the air, possibly causing falling damage. Also, has the word Defenestrating in the title.

Keld Denar
2010-08-27, 02:56 PM
Streamers, from Shining South. Basically, everything your opponent does, they take damage, and a fair bit of it. Can trigger multiple times per round if your opponent casts muliple spells or does other things to trigger it. Ouch.

tyckspoon
2010-08-27, 02:58 PM
Defenestrating Sphere, CArc. Throws enemies in the air, possibly causing falling damage. Also, has the word Defenestrating in the title.

It's not joking about it, either- if there's a window or other such opening in range, it will explicitly hurl the target toward that opening in preference to any other direction.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-27, 02:59 PM
Necrotic Skull Bomb is pretty sweet, especially given the swift action casting time. Here are my votes:

Necrotic Empowerment (Libris Mortis): +8 enhancement bonus to DEX, INT, and WIS. +...8, I think, bonus to natural armor. +5 Bonus to Fortitude saves. and 100 temporary HP. Yes. 100. Of course, you need Mother Cyst to gain access to this, but that opens up...

Necrotic Termination (Libris Mortis): want to make sure that somebody never comes back? Knock them out by normal means, then drop a necrotic cyst on them followed by this bad boy. They're gone, and nothing can bring them back. Nothing.

Choose Destiny (Races of Destiny): roll every roll twice, basically. Do I need to explain how cool this makes you feel?

Keld Denar
2010-08-27, 03:03 PM
Gee...I wonder which build was yours now...hmmmmm.

I'd like to add Darkbolt. The SpC version, not the CoRuin version. 1 bolt per round, free action, has the ability to chain stun targets for CL rounds on top of the damage. VERY nice double threat spell.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-27, 03:13 PM
Gee...I wonder which build was yours now...hmmmmm.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! :smallbiggrin:
Stupid people actually reading this forum. Hopefully, this won't influence your scores, right? Hey, speaking of scores... :smalltongue:

Esser-Z
2010-08-27, 03:21 PM
Silverbeard: Divine spell. You grow a big silver beard and get some defensive bonuses therefrom.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-27, 03:27 PM
Silverbeard is awesome because:

1. You can make an existing beard magical.
2. You grow a beard if you don't have one.

I can just picture a dwarf bouncing axes off of his beard hair, or a woman suddenly sprouting facial hair that saves her life.

Starscream
2010-08-27, 03:29 PM
Silverbeard: Divine spell. You grow a big silver beard and get some defensive bonuses therefrom.

Oh yeah, that one's great. Especially since it also works on females, and gives you a +2 to diplomacy rolls on dwarfs.

Stavic Axegut: "I didn't trust that woman, until she suddenly sprouted a two foot beard. Then she was much easier to take seriously."

Tyndmyr
2010-08-27, 03:35 PM
ENTICE GIFT (BoVD): No relation to the previous spell. Target must make a will save or hand over whatever it is holding. Pretty much a save or lose against anything that needs its weapon to put up a fight. Expect to get a DMG hurled at you if you use it against the Big Bad while he is gesturing dramatically with the Artifact of Doom.

Oh, I actually use that one on one of my current wizards. Situational, but incredibly handy in ever so many situations.

Also, amazing at keeping other melee away from you.

Darrin
2010-08-27, 03:38 PM
Aside from Guidance of the Avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a), there are a few hidden gems in the Far Corners series of articles:

Fengut (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030706a): Most wizards should have a variety of spells that target specific saves, but 1st level spells that target Fortitude are very difficult to find. Nice little save-or-suck spell, 1d4+1 rounds of nausea.

Fey Ring (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a): Similar to Planar Ally, but for fairies. Goes very well with a liberal helping of Diplomacy abuse. Expensive, though... 500 XP or 2000 GP worth of magic items.

Path of Frost (Dragon Magic): Grease for treehuggers.

Winged Watcher (Complete Scoundrel): Transform into an owl or raven at 1st level, excellent fly/spy spell, although the duration is a bit short.

Shalantha's Delicate Disk (Lost Empires of Faerun): Turn a 200 GP ceramic disk into a spell-storing item, up to 5th level. Endless fun throwing traps at the PCs with this one.

Daltim's Fiery Tentacles (Shining South): Evard's Black Tentacles, only they're *on fire*. Ugh, this spell is pure evil.

Tetrasodium
2010-08-27, 03:42 PM
I kind of like Gemjump from spellcompendium (I think) or complete arcane. 6th level spell that lets you teleport without error for any distance on the same plane to a specially prepared 500gp gem at any point after casting the spell, bring one medium or smaller creature for every 3 caster levels with you. Nothing in the spell says it can't be attached to a weapon or similar, nothing says you can only have X many specially enchanted gems. Get party members to attach a 500gp gem to their spiffy weapons or just carry it with them, even give one to someone you want to track later as payment for something :).

thompur
2010-08-27, 03:56 PM
I love Defenestrating Sphere!

But my favorite is also from the SC: Bite of the King.
First, you only get it if one of your domains is Gluttony or Hunger.
Second, you send your victim to a 'Stomach Dimension'. That made me laugh, and I still get a kick out of it. It's a touch attack, but I like to picture your belly expanding and enveloping the target. I doubt I'll ever get to use it as a player, but wouldn't it be cool!:smallcool:

Esser-Z
2010-08-27, 04:04 PM
Oh, and of course, Defenestrating Sphere. It's... not really a good spell, but man, it throws people out of windows!.

DanReiv
2010-08-27, 04:43 PM
Did a living spell of Defenestrating Sphere + Combust once since it's such an amazing spell.

The PCs fought it in a tower with a lot of windows obviously. :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2010-08-27, 05:51 PM
Updraft (SpC). Ascent 10'/CL as a swift action with 1st level spell. This is how the heavily armoured cleric jumps on the roof. Since you're also allowed to move 5' sideways, combined with 5' step you can activate Skirmish if you happen to have some.

[Edit]: On further thought, not so sure about that last one. Meh, cool spell anyway.