PDA

View Full Version : Horribly silly campaign concept, very tempted to run.

Esser-Z
2010-08-27, 06:14 PM
So, some stuff reminded me of the ever infamous Commoner Package Delivery System, and its causality violating properties.

And then I had a horrible, horrible though. I now want to write a campaign in which the BBEG plans to break time, for some reason, and to do so uses ye olde commoner line.

Clearly this would have to be a less serious game. So tempting. Halp!

chiasaur11
2010-08-27, 06:21 PM
Okay, what does he plan to do with it?

Motivation is very important here. Can't be too serious or too silly, of course.

Esser-Z
2010-08-27, 06:23 PM
Weeeell, I could probably grab one from an aborted game ages ago. Namely, the dude's a lich or somesuch, last of an ancient civilization that was destroyed in a war eons ago. He'd like to change that!

(Oh god, this is turning into an RTD Doctor Who Season Finale)

Randel
2010-08-27, 09:41 PM
Other ideas:

1. Gather all the people in the world, build a line of them and have them pass people forward. They can pass people back fast enough to go back in time, have them pass people back in time fast enough that they can travel backwards indefinatly. His ultimate plan is to reach the beginning of the universe before the gods were born and become the supreme being with control of all of history! At the very least he could reach a point where they gods are all level one and kill them before they develop resurrection magic.

2. Hide his phylactory

Liches always have weird plans to hide their phylactories.

He could try sending it forward in time to the end of the universe after the heat death of the universe (It'll happen eventually) and then cast Genesis to start a new mini-universe there. Since everyone else has long died of old age then nobody would be at this point to stop him. He puts his phylactery in his Lair at the End of Time. He then builds another time machine in his lair and uses it to go back in time where he can mess with everyone. He can't be destroyed because his lair won't exist yet and thus nobody can access it. If he is ever destroyed he'll just come back to life a the End of Time and then go back to stop the heroes.

Or, he could make a circle of commoners and create a stable-time loop of commoners who constantly send stuff (and eachother) back in time to themselves. It thus traps everyone in a single moment (or a one-hour point in time) after which they vanish. He puts his phylactory in the loop and if he's ever destroyed then he'll regenerate inside the time loop at the date it occurred.

In essence, once he finishes the Loop, he'll have a save-point at one date. If he's destroyed then he 'goes back in time' back to the time loop and can go everything over again. He becomes essentially more immortal then any other lich since he can just redo any mistakes that led to his death before.

The only way to stop him is to go to a point before he completes the ritual and prevent its occurrence.

Oh, and for a bonus, all the people used in the ritual become trapped in a hellish loop forever. Constantly moving things around in a circle, their arms burning with fatigue and strain but never able to stop or fall over. By now, they are all millions of years old but unable to die of age or experience anything other than the constant passing of objects around that make the loop possible.

3. He's a Well Intentioned Extremist from the future. The future has been destroyed by some horrible catastrophy and he took all the survivors and locked them into a commoner package system that can let them travel back in time. However, this is letting the cataclysym move back with them and they have to grab all the people in this time period to evacuate to an earlier date... if they aren't careful then everyone who ever was will be sucked into a giant line of people passing eachother to an earlier date to escape the End of the World... until it catches up with the beginning!

Your only hope is to stop the events that caused the disaster and prevent people from creating the rescue system.

4. A powerful goblin wishes to create a world in which goblins are the dominant race while humans and the other 'noble' races are hunted to near extinction and forced to live in dungeons and caves. He starts by enslaving a group of humans, creating the time machine, and traveling back in time to the prehistoric era with an elite army of goblinoids.

The players are spared the disaster (possibly by being part of the loop) and suddenly find themselves in a Planet of the Apes type world where goblins are the masters of humans. The players (and the slaves part of the machine) suddenly find themselves in a hostile goblin city and must fight their way out. They manage to perform the maneuver again and go back in time to stop the goblin takeover and restore the timeline.

Arutema
2010-08-27, 10:12 PM
So, some stuff reminded me of the ever infamous Commoner Package Delivery System, and its causality violating properties.

And then I had a horrible, horrible though. I now want to write a campaign in which the BBEG plans to break time, for some reason, and to do so uses ye olde commoner line.

Clearly this would have to be a less serious game. So tempting. Halp!
What if he doesn't actually plan to break time. He's just trying to create the world's fastest magic-free delivery service, blissfully unaware of the consequences.