PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Generic Mook List, What Am I Missing?

Drakevarg
2010-08-27, 06:41 PM
Hey Playground. Working on the second session to a campaign I've been running (would've been done by now, but my laptop has been broken for the last three months), and since this session takes them out of Middle-of-Nowhere Hicksville, I actually have to have general-purpose NPCs set up. And while it's occured to me that I could simply do a single variant for each type, I felt that variety was needed to avoid making the entire thing look utterly cut-and-paste.

As such, I'm trying to compile a list of every generic NPC I'll need. The reason I'm posting it here is to ask the Playground if there's any I should add. Simple as that.

Here's the list:

Peasant - Unarmed [Elf Commoner 1]
Peasant - Dagger [Elf Commoner 1]
Peasant - Hammer [Elf Commoner 1] (Hammer is Improvised Light Mace, if you're curious.)
Farmer - Sickle [Elf Commoner 1]
Farmer - Scythe [Elf Commoner 1]
Farmer - Pitchfork [Elf Commoner 1] (Pitchfork is Improvised Trident, if you're curious.)
Miner - Heavy Pick [Elf Commoner 1]
Village Militia - Battleaxe [Elf Fighter 1]
Village Militia - Longspear [Elf Fighter 1]
Village Militia - Morningstar [Elf Fighter 1]
Village Militia - Shortbow [Elf Fighter 1]
City Guard [Elf Samurai 3]
Thug [Elf Fighter 1]
Bandit [Elf Rogue 1]
White Hand Follower [Elf Cleric 1] (Campaign-specific Necromantic cult.)
Templar Clergyman [Elf Cleric 1] (Local Theocracy.)
Templar Priest [Elf Cleric 3] (Local Theocracy.)
Templar Knight [Elf Paladin 5] (Local Theocracy.)
Guild Apprentice [Elf Wizard 1] (All arcane spellcasters in this setting are required by law to be a member of the Mage's Guild under pain of death.)

Note that the ones I'm listing here are only the ones I actually expect the players to run into for now, since the only settlement nearby is a port town with the relatively small population of 1000. It also doesn't include named characters.

Anywho, to reiterate: Basically what I'm asking is are there any other community staples I should throw in, or any weapon variants I should add?

Drakevarg
2010-08-27, 07:42 PM
Oh, and a follow-up question:

Should I create a different sheet for each weapon variant, or simply list them all on the same sheet and roll a dice to determine which variant this particular mook has on them?

Greenish
2010-08-27, 07:47 PM
Oh, and a follow-up question:

Should I create a different sheet for each weapon variant, or simply list them all on the same sheet and roll a dice to determine which variant this particular mook has on them?The peasants aren't trained in weapons, so it doesn't matter. The militia could have different feats for different weapons.

Do you have some blacksmiths? If there's mining going on, there's need for some metalworks, or are you using peasants for that?

Drakevarg
2010-08-27, 07:51 PM
The peasants aren't trained in weapons, so it doesn't matter. The militia could have different feats for different weapons.

Right, I suppose I should have mentioned this earlier: Generic NPCs don't get feats or skills. Too much of a bother. As for the peasants, I was really more concerned with what was more practical in the organization sense.

Do you have some blacksmiths? If there's mining going on, there's need for some metalworks, or are you using peasants for that?

Unless the blacksmiths had a particular weapon. I suppose some sort of improvised hammer.

Temotei
2010-08-27, 08:00 PM
Right, I suppose I should have mentioned this earlier: Generic NPCs don't get feats or skills. Too much of a bother.

Give them Weapon Focus/Dodge/Toughness/Improved Toughness/Weapon Finesse/Power Attack.

In order of difficulty (most difficult to least difficult) to use from that small list: Power Attack, Dodge, Weapon Focus/Weapon Finesse, Improved Toughness/Toughness.

Giving them those feats would be next to no trouble, and it wouldn't really change the power of the NPCs much, either.

Greenish
2010-08-27, 08:03 PM
Right, I suppose I should have mentioned this earlier: Generic NPCs don't get feats or skills. Too much of a bother. As for the peasants, I was really more concerned with what was more practical in the organization sense.Then just roll for the weapons.

Oh, and a hammer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#hammer).

Drakevarg
2010-08-27, 08:43 PM
Alright, that's mostly taken care of. Which leaves:

What standard character types am I still missing, and what are some weapon variants both they and the character types already present should have?

Frosty
2010-08-27, 08:47 PM
There should be a lot more vairety of townsfolk, although this being hicksville maybe not. Where are the Experts (which is what the blacksmiths are)? Maybe a bard or two if there are any tavern entertainers.

Temotei
2010-08-27, 08:51 PM
Maybe a bard or two if there are any tavern entertainers.

They could easily be experts, too.

Drakevarg
2010-08-27, 08:52 PM
There should be a lot more vairety of townsfolk, although this being hicksville maybe not. Where are the Experts (which is what the blacksmiths are)? Maybe a bard or two if there are any tavern entertainers.

Bards are on my banned classes list (fluff reasons, namely "Music != Magic"), and the Expert class quickly becomes irrelevent when you realize that Generic NPCs don't get skills. (Which is all the Expert class has going for it.)

Greenish
2010-08-27, 08:53 PM
City guard and perhaps the village militia could probably do with a nonlethal option. You don't always want to kill everyone you need to subdue, after all.

The truncheon from BoED is basically a martial mace that deals nonlethal damage. It's only 2 gp, if my memory serves.

Both the peasants and the farmers probably have access to the world's oldest weapon, the club.

The militia might have use for crossbowmen (and -women, if your setting is like that).

I also note the distinct lack of experts, whom I expect to populate the bureaucracy and other "white collar" occupations (librarian, accountant, generic handyman and so forth).

Nobles and other important people I assume you're planning to stat case-by-case.

Drakevarg
2010-08-27, 09:00 PM
City guard and perhaps the village militia could probably do with a nonlethal option. You don't always want to kill everyone you need to subdue, after all.

You can always flatside 'em. And against your average peasant, the -4 isn't gonna bother you much.

The truncheon from BoED is basically a martial mace that deals nonlethal damage. It's only 2 gp, if my memory serves.

I don't have the BoED, and have a personal code of "don't use anything from a book you don't own in meatspace." Don't bother questioning it, it doesn't need to make sense.

Both the peasants and the farmers probably have access to the world's oldest weapon, the club.

True. My main concern was "how many people do you think are just gonna wander about with a big ol' stick in their hand?"

The militia might have use for crossbowmen (and -women, if your setting is like that).

The people around here are really more shortbow-inclined, but I see your point. The City Guards already have 'em, but I'll make a few of the Milita archers as well.

I also note the distinct lack of experts, whom I expect to populate the bureaucracy and other "white collar" occupations (librarian, accountant, generic handyman and so forth).

Again, it felt pointless given the lack of skills in Generic NPCs.

Nobles and other important people I assume you're planning to stat case-by-case.

Correct.

Temotei
2010-08-27, 09:04 PM
Bards are on my banned classes list (fluff reasons, namely "Music != Magic"), and the Expert class quickly becomes irrelevent when you realize that Generic NPCs don't get skills. (Which is all the Expert class has going for it.)

You could just have their one relevant skill modifier down. Then it's just a matter of max skill ranks possible + ability modifier...adding Skill Focus if you really want to.

I'm not saying you're doing it wrong or anything--just saying that it might be nice to have a little more variety in society with, like, one skill.

Drakevarg
2010-08-27, 09:08 PM
You could just have their one relevant skill modifier down. Then it's just a matter of max skill ranks possible + ability modifier...adding Skill Focus if you really want to.

I'm not saying you're doing it wrong or anything--just saying that it might be nice to have a little more variety in society with, like, one skill.

I suppose I could. It's mostly that I try to keep the NPCs functioning as closely as possible to how PCs function, and for some reason my brain says cutting out skills altogether is better than creating alternate skill rules for NPCs.

Tyndmyr
2010-08-27, 10:57 PM
Dwarven Bartender. In a fight, good with improvised weapons and a hammer. For a smithy or other crafter, you can reuse the same stats.

Drakevarg
2010-08-27, 11:10 PM
Dwarven Bartender. In a fight, good with improvised weapons and a hammer. For a smithy or other crafter, you can reuse the same stats.

No Dwarves in this setting. Or Halflings or Gnomes, for that matter.

BobVosh
2010-08-28, 02:25 AM
No Dwarves in this setting. Or Halflings or Gnomes, for that matter.

Sizist!

I'm just curious...why samurai for guardsmen?

Drakevarg
2010-08-28, 02:44 AM
Sizist!

I'm just curious...why samurai for guardsmen?

Fluff. Culturally, elves in my setting are essentially Japanese. Hence, Samurai for professional soldiers.

WinWin
2010-08-28, 02:52 AM
I would not worry too much about the peasants/ashigaru. Just say half of them have improvised weapons (1d6 or 1d4 damage, regardless of type). Only bother statting up a local tough guy or slip the occasional thug into the mix.

You may want a few of your Militia to have bows or be archery focused.

You could use Adepts for low ranking members of the theocracy or white hand.

Drakevarg
2010-08-28, 02:56 AM
I would not worry too much about the peasants/ashigaru. Just say half of them have improvised weapons (1d6 or 1d4 damage, regardless of type). Only bother statting up a local tough guy or slip the occasional thug into the mix.

Well, the various outlaw types still need statting, which shouldn't take too long, but the peasantry is pretty well accounted for.

You may want a few of your Militia to have bows or be archery focused.

Check.

You could use Adepts for low ranking members of the theocracy or white hand.

Passing on that for fluff reasons again. Adepts are essentially really sucky Mystic Theurges, and it's impossible to mix arcane and divine magics in this setting.

EDIT: Updated the list.