PDA

View Full Version : Wizard with domains?

Commander_Vimes
2010-08-27, 07:26 PM
I am planning to enter the Divine Oracle Prestige Class with my Diviner. The first level gives me the Oracle Domain. How does this work for the Wizard? Do I just get the domain ability? Do I get to cast the extra spells as if I was a Cleric with the Domain?

Ashram
2010-08-27, 07:29 PM
I am planning to enter the Divine Oracle Prestige Class with my Diviner. The first level gives me the Oracle Domain. How does this work for the Wizard? Do I just get the domain ability? Do I get to cast the extra spells as if I was a Cleric with the Domain?

Typically, you get the power and most wizards with domains add the domain spells to their spellbooks at the appropriate level and prepare them as normal.

Greenish
2010-08-27, 07:36 PM
Typically, you get the power and most wizards with domains add the domain spells to their spellbooks at the appropriate level and prepare them as normal.Well, they still have to find the spells as scrolls and scribe them to the spellbook. Oh, and if an arcane version of the spell exists at all, they have to track that down, instead of using the divine version. So, you'd better befriend a rainbow warsnake or the like.

The rules for adding domains on classes that do not normally get them are described at page 20 of Complete Divine, for the record.

HunterOfJello
2010-08-27, 09:06 PM
Well, they still have to find the spells as scrolls and scribe them to the spellbook. Oh, and if an arcane version of the spell exists at all, they have to track that down, instead of using the divine version. So, you'd better befriend a rainbow warsnake or the like.

The rules for adding domains on classes that do not normally get them are described at page 20 of Complete Divine, for the record.

Wow. That's really interesting. I always thought you just got nothing as a Wizard in that situation. I'm glad that I know better now.

Keld Denar
2010-08-27, 09:33 PM
Pretty much, its just added to your spell list. You can opt to learn it as one of your 2 spells/level, or scribe it from a scroll (provided you can find an arcane version) or take if as one of your spells know for spontaneous casters. Note that even if it isn't in your book, you can still use spell trigger items of the spell since it is on YOUR class list.

Greenish
2010-08-27, 09:44 PM
You can opt to learn it as one of your 2 spells/levelInterestingly, Complete Divine does not mention that as an option, but specifically states you have to copy it from a scroll.

Equally amusing is that by the text, spontaneous casters who know their whole list (beguiler, warmage, dread necromancer) can't gain them aside from Advanced Learning. ("[a non-cleric spontaneous caster] may select a domain spell to add to her spells known whenever she would have an option to select a new known spell.")

Not following the rules to such extend is a reasonable course of action, in my opinion.

Keld Denar
2010-08-27, 09:53 PM
Huh, by those rules, it doesn't even get added to your spell list, which means that TECHNICALLY you couldn't use scrolls or wands of them without UMD. Wierd. Arcane Disciple DOES add the domain spells to your spell list.

I'm guessing it was another failure of WotCs amazing editing staff.

Greenish
2010-08-27, 10:03 PM
Huh, by those rules, it doesn't even get added to your spell list, which means that TECHNICALLY you couldn't use scrolls or wands of them without UMD. Wierd. Arcane Disciple DOES add the domain spells to your spell list.

I'm guessing it was another failure of WotCs amazing editing staff.It also fails to specify how to handle the domain granted powers dependent on your cleric level, so by RAW you would gain no benefit from, say, Travel Domain's granted power.