PDA

View Full Version : [Review] AA6 The Chasm of the Damned

Matthew
2010-08-27, 08:43 PM
Note: This is an adventure compatible with Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i226/Plle200/Reviews/XRP6106.jpg

AA6 The Chasm of the Damned (http://www.xrpshop.citymax.com/catalog/item/3906568/6129141.htm)

Author: James C. Boney.
Contents: 16 saddle stitched black and white pages, 1 title page, 13 pages of adventure, 1 page of OSRIC advertisements, and 1 open game license page.
Publisher: Expeditious Retreat Press.
Product Code: XRP6106.
Retail Price: £7.00 or $12.00.

Overview

An adventure for 4-6 characters of levels 6-10, the Chasm of the Damned consists of eight relatively short dungeons, each accessed from the titular location, some of which are interlinked. As with previous offerings in the series, the physical product has a glossy cover stock and is clearly printed on durable paper with black and white interior maps, but with a spine that appears to be susceptible to wear. The cover art is by Bradley McDevitt and appeals to the traditional aesthetic associated with the game, as well as being reflective of the subject matter. Both the front and back illustrations depict atmospheric scenes from the module that are easily recognisable. There are six interior pieces by John Bingham, including a particularly evocative depiction of a new monster that features in the adventure, and as with the cover illustrations almost all self evidently refer specifically to the content of the module. With regard to the writing, James Boney is typically economical and clear, rarely dwelling overlong on a description, and preferring to provide only enough to spur the imagination of the reader, which is of course in keeping with the methodology of traditional swords & sorcery adventure module design.

What has earned the chasm its ominous appellation is that it is a well known but randomly located plane shifting occurrence, appearing regularly every thirty-seven years for four and a half days. Rumours abound that great fortunes are hidden in the caverns it harbours, which is a natural draw for adventurers of all sorts, but commensurate dangers await and few are said to escape unscathed. The module presents two possible ways in which to get the player characters involved. In the primary scenario, it is common knowledge that the chasm is due to appear again and they are competing with several non-player character groups to locate and raid the caverns before the allotted time is up. As the alternative scenario, it is suggested that the player characters are employed by an enterprising cleric or magician who has determined the location the chasm will appear at in advance, and are engaged to prepare an expedition in secret. Of course, if they are incautious there is an ever increasing chance that a local guild of thieves or assassins will get wind of what they are up to and lay an ambush for the treasure laden party upon their return. A collection of rumours of varying degrees of veracity are provided for the party to glean about the chasm in advance.

There is a map of the chasm provided; it is about a mile in length and divided into three levels, each of which has access points to two or more of the eight dungeons. Several additional access points are provided in order to alert the game master to the possibility of expanding the chasm. The caverns entered from the first level are fairly straightforward, offering some relatively standard monster encounters, a few strange objects to interact with, the opportunity to rescue and recruit some non-player character associates, and the possibility of negotiating for a place to rest. From the second level, the caverns accessed are stranger and feature three new monster types denoted bogwings, madsome gargoyles, and faceless ones. One area is home to a powerful middle eastern inspired character known as the Gray Sultan, who has quite a lot of potential for a thoughtful game master. There are also some more familiar monsters that may be encountered or avoided as fortune dictates. Should the player characters reach the final level of the chasm, which is somewhat inaccessible, they will have the opportunity to explore the last set of caverns and uncover the mystery of the chasm, perhaps earning themselves a powerful enemy or patron in the process.

Technicalities and Errors

Besides the occasional editing error, such as "shortsword+1" (p. 6), and the somewhat vexing, but hardly unusual and in any case consistently applied, tendency to use compound words such as "chainmail" and "shortbow" there is little to complain about. The use of hyphens for minuses (e.g. p. 10) is worth commenting on, since a true minus does appear (p. 14) and I would like to see that practice extended to all instances. Oddities like "2-4 +2 turns" (p. 3) occasionally crop up, and mixed use of terms like "footman’s mace" (p. 6), "mace", and "war hammer" (p. 14) are maybe questionable in the context, since it seems inconsistent to specify the former, but not indicate whether a shield is intended to be small or large (p. 14). Hardly an issue for any game master more than passingly familiar with the system, but worth mentioning all the same if simply overlooked. The large efreeti bottle (p. 10) is also of interest, since it is not bolded, leaving the reader to wonder at its significance, but perhaps that is the intent. On the whole, the module is an improvement stylistically on its predecessors, suffering from fewer inconsistencies and hopefully future instalments will continue to ensure there are very few nits to pick.

Conclusion

Chasm of the Damned is a good example of James Boney’s work. It has a strong and innovative adventure hook, is engagingly written, and features plenty of interesting encounters. As with his previous modules, there is a tendency towards the eclectic, with a number of seemingly randomly selected monsters appearing as the result of what amount to traps, and no fear of including creatures capable of draining life energy levels. The author shows excellent understanding of the system, and knows where to provide mechanisms for adjudicating otherwise undefined actions, as well as knowledge of how elements of the adventure are likely to interact with typical and experienced players. His modules feel like they are very much in the tradition of their predecessors without being simple retreads of the past, and have a definite identity of their own. That said, this adventure was less tightly themed than his previous two, and ran the risk of amounting to a number of dislocated set piece encounters. A more fully integrated theme and, as always, more content would have improved the whole, but it is nonetheless a very good module.

Crow
2010-08-27, 09:16 PM
Man that sounds fun. Now we just need somebody to run it here on the forums! ;)

the possibility of negotiating for a place to rest

This part really intrigued me, and reminds me of that thing which seems to be missing from my own adventures, and many of the published ones I see as well. That element of danger, and no turning back. When you have to camp out in hostile territory out of necessity, and can't just rope trick into oblivion, or back out of the dungeon and camp outside. I miss that atmosphere, and an adventure without it just doesn't feel so much like an adventure to me.

I am glad that you included those couple of words, as I am now inspired to capture that feeling of danger and necessity in the next adventure I put together....but how?

Matthew
2010-08-27, 09:40 PM
Yes, indeed. The short time frame and competing adventuring parties seem to drive the action forward in this adventure, and there is no provision for wandering monsters, which is perhaps a bit of a shame, but their purpose is to discourage resting and time wasting, so not too surprising. Although it is not too difficult to negotiate a place to rest in this module, I imagine that the real fun begins when the other adventuring parties start showing up and need access for the same purposes!

I have been running Curse of the Witch Head off and on at the game night run by my local game shop, after the D20/4e Dark Sun Encounters session, which has been quite fun. Unfortunately, the party really did not make good use of its resources and ended up making their way across to an island inhabited by three spectres. They got surprised and in a really bad stroke of misfortune the fighter was targeted by all three spectres and was drained from level six to level zero in one surprise segment! The rest of the party managed to beat a retreat, but not without several energy level drains themselves, which I think may be the point at which we halt on that adventure. If so, I plan to run this next, and am looking forward to running Curse of the Witch Head for my home group now. :smallbiggrin: