PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Monster stats in Pathfinder compared to 3.5?

Edge of Dreams
2010-08-27, 08:48 PM
I've been looking over Pathfinder recently and considering using some of its material. I've found plenty of advice on various aspects of the system and its pros and cons, but there's one thing I can't seem to find any info about:

How different are the monsters in the Pathfinder Monster Manual (or whatever the equivalent book is) compared to the 3.5 Monster Manual? Besides the 'Combat Manuever' system changes to grapple, trip, etc., have the monsters stats been changed or rebalanced at all to match the changes in PC balance/power level?

To put it another way, how would a party of all Pathfinder PC's fare against 3.5 monsters of 'appropriate' CR in general? What about the other way around (Pathfinder monsters vs. 3.5 PC's)?

Tyndmyr
2010-08-27, 11:06 PM
How different are the monsters in the Pathfinder Monster Manual (or whatever the equivalent book is) compared to the 3.5 Monster Manual? Besides the 'Combat Manuever' system changes to grapple, trip, etc., have the monsters stats been changed or rebalanced at all to match the changes in PC balance/power level?

Well, some of the templates, such as Construct, are subtly different. Skills are also adjusted appropriately. I don't believe stats are adjusted to match the higher PC stats, and unless monsters have class levels, they don't typically match the increased power from most base classes.

To put it another way, how would a party of all Pathfinder PC's fare against 3.5 monsters of 'appropriate' CR in general? What about the other way around (Pathfinder monsters vs. 3.5 PC's)?

PF monsters are not terribly different in power level from 3.5 monsters. Feel free to use them mostly interchangeably, with appropriate modifications for skill ranks and such.