PDA

View Full Version : Smack->Burn->Trip->Smack ... Smack (and stay down) ... Crunch. (Fire Giant funsies)

Bulwer
2010-08-27, 11:43 PM
Okay, so I'm making a Fire Giant, as per http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8936547&postcount=968 .

6th level, two flaws, so five feats.

Power Attack and Brutal Throw make my attacks and boulder-chucking more viable.

The other three are Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, and Knock-Down. Nothing exotic, just a normal tripper. Using a halberd (I'm Large at this point), I'm dealing 2d8 base and my slams are 1d6.

Here's the sequence:

I light my halberd on fire as a move action.

I hit an opponent, certainly dealing more than 10 points of damage. They're now on fire.

Knock-Down gives me a free action trip, which is at +8 from Large and ImpTrip. Presumably, they go down.

Improved Trip gives me another free whack.

Okay, their turn. They can either spend a full round putting out the flame or try to get up.

If they put out the flames, next turn I Stomp them for 2d6+2xStr and 2d6 Con damage, against which they have no defense.

If they try to get up, I get an Attack of Opportunity. If that hits, I get a free-action trip an another immediate attack if they go down.

Next turn, they are faced with a similar choice.

Is there anything I missed that would make this not work?

jiriku
2010-08-27, 11:49 PM
Yes. When your opponent takes the move action to stand from prone, and you take your granted opportunity attack, the standing opponent is still prone at that point. Thus, if you hit, you cannot trip the opponent, because he is still prone. Thus, you cannot prevent a fallen opponent from standing -- only punish him for it.

It's still a pretty solid battle plan.

Bulwer
2010-08-27, 11:54 PM
Yes. When your opponent takes the move action to stand from prone, and you take your granted opportunity attack, the standing opponent is still prone at that point. Thus, if you hit, you cannot trip the opponent, because he is still prone. Thus, you cannot prevent a fallen opponent from standing -- only punish him for it.

It's still a pretty solid battle plan.

I'm kind of glad, actually. 2d6 Con damage conditional only on my ability to beat my opponent at one Strength check is way too powerful.