PDA

View Full Version : Call of Chthulu/3.5 Crossover. Why there's an Eldritch Horror in your Bag of Holding

The Pressman
2010-08-28, 01:33 AM
What I'd like to do is run a standard DnD campaign, short, almost one-shot, and then at the end, somehow, (portals, planes, what have you) have them get dropped into the CoC or ToC universe at the end as a cliffhanger. I was thinking that I could take their characters and adapt them to the new universe, and give the new sheets to them, and I think a lot of fun could be had having them adapt to a world far removed from their own, yet just as crazy.

So, thoughts? How should I adapt the characters, what would be a good campaign for the CoC or ToC setting, etc.

some guy
2010-08-28, 07:57 AM
What I'd like to do is run a standard DnD campaign, short, almost one-shot, and then at the end, somehow, (portals, planes, what have you) have them get dropped into the CoC or ToC universe at the end as a cliffhanger. I was thinking that I could take their characters and adapt them to the new universe, and give the new sheets to them, and I think a lot of fun could be had having them adapt to a world far removed from their own, yet just as crazy.

So, thoughts? How should I adapt the characters, what would be a good campaign for the CoC or ToC setting, etc.

Part of the fun of CoC is that the players are just a bunch of normal (or semi-normal) dudes. Without extra-ordinary powers. The classes of DnD are very powerfull, even when level 1 compared with investigators.
You could solve this problem by stripping their powers "Why doesn't my god grant me my spells?" "Why do my spells misfire?".
Or you could make the players "the weird", what with their races and all they stand out in Earth anyway.
There's a campaign idea hidden in there somewhere.

Call of Cthulhu d20 is the simplest conversion method if you use 3.5. On page 314 of that book is also an Basic Role Playing System => d20 system conversion. On page 284 are suggestions for a Lovecraftian DnD campaign. I'll look if that particular set of rules is to be found somewhere online.

Just remember, a goblin in CoC is a mysterious monster. Something that can shatter your worldviews. Something that sneaks in your house and mutilates your sister, disappears without notice, stalks you in the dark and wayches you sleep. In DnD a goblin is XP.

BobVosh
2010-08-28, 08:08 AM
Actually I could see having a lot of fun with the PCs being the horrid supernatural creatures that you send investigators up against.

However if that isn't the angle you go with, then I agree with /\ in that a big part of the CoC charm is in being a normal dude vs an uncaring overpowered evil.

Daremonai
2010-08-28, 01:02 PM
I certainly can't imagine the party casters being happy when you tell them that using their class features now costs sanity points.

Tyndmyr
2010-08-28, 01:26 PM
I certainly can't imagine the party casters being happy when you tell them that using their class features now costs sanity points.

No doubt.

The warforged crusader, on the other hand, just merrily punches out monstrosities all day long.

Immunity to mind affecting becomes godly.

Lord Loss
2010-08-28, 05:14 PM
Wait... a way to make casters NOT be overpowered? And we're complaining?

I think I stepped through and Eldtrich Portal.

chiasaur11
2010-08-28, 09:55 PM
No doubt.

The warforged crusader, on the other hand, just merrily punches out monstrosities all day long.

Immunity to mind affecting becomes godly.

You would kinda have to call that guy Robo*, wouldn't you?

At least I would.

*Well, Dr. Atomic Robo Tesla. Robo to his friends.

The Pressman
2010-08-29, 12:46 AM
What I'd probably do is simply take away most of their powers, and magic items would just not work. They'd also stand out, and since they're currently viewed as crazy and delusional, a lot of time will be devoted to them trying to adapt, while small details begin to clue them into something much more sinister.

Lhurgyof
2010-08-29, 01:27 AM
Holy crap... This sounds really fun.

The Pressman
2010-08-29, 11:55 PM
It may or may not include minor chords being played at scary times, me getting a player to relinquish control of a character to simulate madness, or other environmental terrors. Also, endless fun with shoggoths. :smallamused: