PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Prestige Class: The Sumo PEACH

DrGoblin
2010-08-28, 08:13 AM
Hey guys, I just brewed up a new prestige class for one of my players, and I want your thoughts on Balance and fluff, and any suggestions to improve it:

The Sumo Wrestler

Requirements:
Skills: Knowledge (Religion) 2 ranks, Escape Artist 5 ranks Balance 9 Ranks
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Power Attack, Improved Bullrush

Skills Points 2 + INT modifier
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Craft, Escape Artist, Intimidate, Knowledge (religion), Listen, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive, Spot, Tumble

Name: Sumo hit dice: d12
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|+0|+2|+0|+0| Sotogake, Unstoppable Force +1

2nd|+1|+2|+0|+0| Immovable Object +1

3rd|+2|+3|+1|+1| Damage Reduction 1/-, Powerful Technique, Unstoppable Force +2

4th|+3|+4|+1|+1| Immovable Object +2

5th|+3|+4|+1|+1| No Weight Limit, Unstoppable Force +3

6th|+4|+5|+2|+2| Immovable Object +3, Damage Reduction 2/-

7th|+5|+5|+2|+2| Root of the Mountain, Unstoppable Force

8th|+6/+1|+6|+2|+2| Immovable Object +4

9th|+6/+1|+6|+3|+3| Unstoppable Force +5, Damage Reduction 3/-

10th|+7/+2|+7|+3|+3| Immovable Object +5, Wrestles with Oni[/table]

Monk Abilities: A Sumo has the unarmed damage and AC bonus (but not the speed) of a monk with as many levels as his sumo plus his monk levels (if any).

Sotogake: Despite their reputation for incredible strength, the Sumo is a technically skilled wrestler. At first level, they gain the improved trip feat, even if they do not meet the requirements.

Unstoppable Force (ex): The Sumo is an expert at driving his opponent from the ring. At first level and every two levels thereafter, the Sumo gains a +1 Modifier to Bullrush Attempts.
Immovable Object (ex): For lesser opponents, the Sumo is almost impossible to move. At second level, and every two levels thereafter, the Sumo gains a +1 Modifier to resist Bullrush and trip attempts.

Damage Reduction: At 3rd level, a Sumo gains the ability to shrug off some amount of injury from each blow or attack. Subtract 1 from the damage the Sumo takes each time he is dealt damage from a weapon or a natural attack. At 6th level, and every three Sumo levels thereafter, this damage reduction rises by 1 point. Damage reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0.

Powerful Technique (ex): The Sumo can perform feats not possible by lesser wrestlers. He may take a penalty to a Bullrush attempt to add the following effects, if the attempt is successful:
-10 The target is knocked prone
-5 The Sumo is automatically grappling with opponent
Additionally, if the Bullrush attempt drives the target into another creature, they both take 1d6 bludgeoning damage, and if the creature is bullrushed into something that makes further movement impossible (a solid wall for example), they take 1d6 bludgeoning damage for each additional 5 feet they had to move back.

No Weight Limit (ex): Sumo wrestlers can reach truly astounding sizes. At 5th level for the purposes of grappling and Bullrush attempts, they count as one size larger then they normally are.

Root of the Mountain (ex): Once per day, a Sumo of 7th level or higher can make himself unmovable. He automatically wins an opposed Strength check when an opponent attempts to bull rush him. A creature with the improved grab ability must move into the Sumo to grapple him, since it cannot pull the Sumo into its space. No spell or other effect can force the Sumo to move. If he becomes frightened or panicked, he suffers the full effect of the fear but does not run away. He cannot move, even to make a 5-foot step, while this ability is in effect. Root the mountain lasts for 1 round per level, but the Sumo can end it at any time.

Wrestles with Oni (su): The origin of the Sumo’s art is in ancient contests with Oni, Demonic Giants who terrorized their lands. The Sumo gains +2 to grapple, bulrush and trip checks against Giants, and gains a unique ability against Demons. A Sumo can challenge an Evil Outsider to a formal Sumo Match, if the Outsider agrees, and the Sumo wins (either by Pinning the demon, knocking it unconscious, or forcing it from the ring) it is placed under the effects of a Banishment spell with no save possible. Additionally, whenever a Sumo is grappling an Evil Outsider, should the Sumo wish it, the Outsider is placed under the effects of a Dimensional Anchor spell. Unlike the previous ability, the Outsider does not need to agree to the contest to use this ability.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-08-28, 10:26 AM
You'll get more responses if you put this in a table.

Name hit dice:
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|||||

2nd|||||

3rd|||||

4th|||||

5th|||||

6th|||||

7th|||||

8th|||||

9th|||||

10th||||| [/table]

DrGoblin
2010-08-28, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the tip!

Human Paragon 3
2010-08-28, 12:01 PM
This is pretty cool! A couple suggestions:

1) Combine immovable object and unstoppable force into one ability. It would be simpler if they just got a bonus to bull rush and grapple checks equal to 1/2 level. In fact, I'd go a step further: A bonus to all opposed str checks and grapple checks equal to 1/2 level.

2) I love the wrestle with Oni ability, but except for the dim. anchor thing, it doesn't really do much of anything, since the demon can simply refuse the challenge. Maybe make the demon have to make a will save to refuse the challenge, or just make it so the demon has to accept. Or you could make it so if the sumo makes a knowledge check he can phrase the challenge in such a way that the demon can't refuse, otherwise it can.

3) If you follow my first suggestion, you'll probably need something to fill the dead levels. Maybe a Ki surge ability like Kensai would be a good idea. In fact, I'm sure it would! (Str + Con bonuses tied to concentration checks)

4) Full BAB?

5) Might be cool to give them an ability that lets them treat unarmed strikes as 2-handed weapon.

Lastly, just formatting issues, bold the ability names and put space between them. Note whether each one us Sp, Su or Ex, and change "mystyic" to "Sumo" in the description.

DrGoblin
2010-08-28, 12:09 PM
2) I love the wrestle with Oni ability, but except for the dim. anchor thing, it doesn't really do much of anything, since the demon can simply refuse the challenge. Maybe make the demon have to make a will save to refuse the challenge, or just make it so the demon has to accept. Or you could make it so if the sumo makes a knowledge check he can phrase the challenge in such a way that the demon can't refuse, otherwise it can.
For the Dimensional Anchor, no challenge is required. As long as He holds on to the Demon, it cannot escape. As for the possibility of them just turning it down, I suppose that's possible, but I have a hard time picturing any martially inclined demon (or devil) refusing a challenge of combat, so I'm going to leave it at the DMs discretion.

3) If you follow my first suggestion, you'll probably need something to fill the dead levels. Maybe a Ki surge ability like Kensai would be a good idea. In fact, I'm sure it would! (Str + Con bonuses tied to concentration checks)

4) Full BAB?
You don't think that would unbalance it?

Lastly, just formatting issues, bold the ability names and put space between them. Note whether each one us Sp, Su or Ex, and change "mystyic" to "Sumo" in the description.
That's what I get for copying and pasting from my manuals.