PDA

View Full Version : Character Concept: Dwarf

shadow_archmagi
2010-08-28, 09:55 AM
FLUFF

Urist Vunomonul was born in the dwarf fortress "Melonbutter the Ale-Hammered of Justice." He was a pariah of dwarven society, an outcast, one who lived only because no one had quite decided whether his existence or his murder was a more gruesome thought.

He was born with this hideous defect: HE HAD NO BEARD.

He was born with this powerful strength: DETERMINATION

One day, with no warning, he rushed the forges and claimed them for his own, menacing anyone who came near. One tried, and received a beating for his attempts.

Urist began to work. The blacksmiths had taken their hammers with them; no matter. He forged with his bare hands. Gold, iron, steel, even fish scales went into his construction. After four days of continuous work, it was finished. "Duraddurad DuradDuradDurad Durad" or "Beardbeards the Bearded Bearded Beard of Beards"

As awe-inspiring as it was magnificent, the beard menaced with spikes and glowed with mystic power. Urist then proclaimed

"I am Urist Vonomul no more. My name has done me no good. I am Duraddurad DuradDuradDurad Durad, and this is my Duraddurad DuradDuradDurad Durad."

The greatest of the smiths approached, looked upon work, and nodded appreciation.

Everyone knew what was to happen next: Urist was given a sack full of mead roasts, a barrel of mead, and set off into the wilderness to seek his glory.

CRUNCH:
I want an artificer who focuses on only one magic item. How to achieve this? I realize that there are rules for tacking multiple effects onto one item, but they're not very friendly. Furthermore, I'd be a huge-sunder magnet. Are there prestiege classes and special things that allow me to boost my creation's HP?

Also, I think this is the one case ever in the world where Item Familiar could be justified.

WinWin
2010-08-28, 11:21 AM
Obviously the beard will be a face slot item. Because you are focusing on one item, the costs will get ridiculous once you begin stacking effects.

I suggest something along the lines of bracers of armour. The arms and equipment guide (3.0) allows for armour enchantments to be applied to bracers. In this case your beard. Maximum is +8(13).

Other thematic enchantments would be to combine it with a girdle of dwarvenkind and a periapt of proof against poison.

DMG2 has the apprentice line of feats. One of the apprentiships (artisan or craftsman) allows for a reduction in the cost of raw materials. Additionally, an item can be crafted with limitations in order to reduce the cost of raw materials. Making it usable only by a Dwarven artificer with ranks in the craft(beard) skill, would reduce the cost by 40%

I hope this helps out.

kieza
2010-08-28, 12:27 PM
Depending on how big this beard is, it could occupy not only the face, but the body and belt slot as well (at least). So you could argue it to be 3 items, and split the enchantments between them so that the stacking isn't so much of an issue.

shadow_archmagi
2010-08-28, 12:35 PM
I suppose then, that the most efficient use would be to opt for maximum flexibility in the beard's powers.

Wait; Artificers can build metamagic into items, right?

What if I gave the beard Spell Storing Item at will, with the Rapid Spell magic?

That way I'd get access to a beard that could use any 4th level spell.

DM: Roll a STR check to bend the bars
Player: I activate Spell Storing Item to use Bull's Strength.
Durad: My beard gives me super strength!

Parra
2010-08-28, 02:53 PM
could each of the beards braids count as a seperate (slotless) magic item?

Zaydos
2010-08-28, 02:56 PM
could each of the beards braids count as a seperate (slotless) magic item?

Wouldn't help much. It's x1.5 for extra power, and x2 for slotless. Now to put strange powers into the neck slot also costs x1.5 so in that case it would be cost effective, although stacking the two seems overkill.

shadow_archmagi
2010-08-28, 03:19 PM
Wouldn't help much. It's x1.5 for extra power, and x2 for slotless. Now to put strange powers into the neck slot also costs x1.5 so in that case it would be cost effective, although stacking the two seems overkill.

Hmm.

What if I just made it a Handy Beardsack and kept magic items inside it? The dwarf would just reach into his beard and stroke it to activate the item.

Esser-Z
2010-08-28, 03:22 PM
What about just having the beard take up more slots than it actually does, so that it's like buying items normally but flavorful?

dgnslyr
2010-08-28, 04:00 PM
I find the fluff epic beyond belief.

Zaydos
2010-08-28, 04:06 PM
Hmm.

What if I just made it a Handy Beardsack and kept magic items inside it? The dwarf would just reach into his beard and stroke it to activate the item.

I think that's just so awesome I'd allow it at least. I now want to make a feat of some sort that lets dwarves use their beards this way... if only I DM'd a joke game.

Fax Celestis
2010-08-28, 04:07 PM
Whatever it is, it has to cast silverbeard (SpC) at least 1/day.

Also consider seeing if your DM will let you make it an item of legacy (from Weapons of Legacy) or a legendary item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/legendaryWeapons.htm). If not, then maybe try seeing if he'll let you use the Warforged substitution level from Races of Eberron for artificers that trades the Retain Essence feature for Craft Weapon Familiar.

Esser-Z
2010-08-28, 04:25 PM
Silverbeard is the best spell.

shadow_archmagi
2010-08-29, 05:47 PM
Weapon Familiar?

Weapon of Legacy?

Artifact?

Item Familiar?

What are the pros and cons of these options? Can I stack them?

kamikasei
2010-08-29, 05:58 PM
Do recall that the rules in the Magic Item Compendium let you add multiple "basic" effects such as stat, AC and save boosts without the x1.5 penalty.

shadow_archmagi
2010-08-29, 06:19 PM
Do recall that the rules in the Magic Item Compendium let you add multiple "basic" effects such as stat, AC and save boosts without the x1.5 penalty.

Oooooh. That is very helpful information.

So it can give a + to every stat, UMD and craft bonuses, and a save bonus too, all at the same price as having lots of little items?

shadow_archmagi
2010-09-12, 08:49 PM
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad333/Supermikhail/Strip3.jpg

Bumping because someone illustrated this for me

All hail supermikhail, the dwarfiest artist!

Coidzor
2010-09-12, 10:56 PM
Has this been shared with the Dwarfs of Fortressing?

Also, Pretty Durin Sweet.

Crasical
2010-09-12, 11:12 PM
That's pretty awesome.

shadow_archmagi
2010-09-13, 06:05 AM
Has this been shared with the Dwarfs of Fortressing?

Yes, that's where the artist found the story.

Gavinfoxx
2010-09-13, 11:09 AM
So the item is Dwarvencraft (from Races of Stone), right?

shadow_archmagi
2010-09-13, 02:03 PM
So the item is Dwarvencraft (from Races of Stone), right?

Is there ANY OTHER KIND?

Cieyrin
2010-09-14, 12:43 PM
If you're worried about sunder monkeys coming after your artifact facial implant, why not make it out of Riverine? Walls of force enclosed water never looked so good, plus you could refluff to replace the water with a good stout dwarven ale to give it a dorfy feel, neh?