PDA

View Full Version : Low-cost ways to be a catgirl

WarKitty
2010-08-28, 10:05 AM
No, don't look at me like that. It's a somewhat light-hearted campaign; the character is supposed to appear cute and innocent while actually being a manipulative spy. I originally thought of a lycanthrope but the LA is just too prohibitave.

So here's the requirements:
No LA
No negative charisma adjustments
Some form of feline traits or heritage
Ability to take on feline form preferred but not required

Zaydos
2010-08-28, 10:07 AM
Could Eberron's Changelings do it? They have minor shapeshifting.

Yora
2010-08-28, 10:08 AM
What about Shifter?

Admiral Squish
Well, I can do razorclaw shifter, but that has a cha penalty, unfortunately.

Edit: Ninjaed.

heymejack
catfolk. races of thewild. they get the opposite of a neg to charisma. plus an even better bonus to dex, and some speed.

only forseeable problem is that they're catfolk. not humans who turn into cats. but actual cats.

but hey, maybe that's not a problem for you. isn't for me, that's for sure, i made a really sweet beastmaster archer with all that dex and the cha for handle animal.

uh-oh, i don't remember if theres LA

Tengu_temp
2010-08-28, 10:09 AM
Updated Hengeyokai from Oriental Adventures? They're LA +0.

Grynning
2010-08-28, 10:09 AM
Tibbit from Dragon Compendium. Pretty much perfect for your needs. Basically halflings that turn into housecats.

Oslecamo
2010-08-28, 10:10 AM
The antromorphic animal I made for my improved monster classes could be used to create a catgirl whitout LA, but costing you at least one level and your race choice.

Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9187907&postcount=1413)

heymejack
2010-08-28, 10:15 AM
so, i looked that thing up about the catfolk, and it's a +1 LA.

seems worth it to me though, i had a lot of fun playing mine. unless the fact that she's a completely different race hurts her ability to be a spy. hat of disguise!

hats of disguise are sweet.

Lord Loss
2010-08-28, 10:30 AM
But then she's an actual catgirl! That's totally worth an LA! :smallbiggrin:.

Zaydos
2010-08-28, 10:39 AM
Cat hengeyokai do get the ability to turn into a cat-woman hybrid form with no LA; and they get a full-blown cat form too.

JerichoPenumbra
2010-08-28, 10:42 AM
You could also dip into psion as an egoist. Minor Shapechange (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070314a) can make you physically a catgirl plus any cosmetic/aesthetic traits you want and it doesn't go away until you will it even if you get knocked unconscious or are a sleep.

Esser-Z
2010-08-28, 10:45 AM
Just reflavor a Human. Or Elf. Or Halfling!

Terazul
2010-08-28, 10:45 AM
Alternatively just play a changeling and look like whatever the crap you want.

herrhauptmann
2010-08-28, 01:14 PM
The BoEF does indeed have a catgirl. It's called a Felid

hotel_papa
2010-08-28, 01:38 PM
Tibbit. Oh, god, Tibbit. If your Cha needs mean you're a spell caster, I suggest the Surrogate Spellcasting feat from Savage Species. It is like Natural Spell for the less naturally inclined. Nothing like an Orb of Force from a house cat. Also, your halfling-esque form is sufficiently cat-like, and small, to emphasize kawaii-tude. Should be good.

Esser-Z
2010-08-28, 01:41 PM
Speaking of orb of force from a housecat, I really do need to play a kitten sorc/wizard with human familiar sometime. The opponents THINK the big beefy man is an incredibly powerful mage too, or maybe (if they're smart) that there's an invisible mage somwhere.

They never think to look at the kitty under the table.

Asta Kask
2010-08-28, 01:43 PM
Remember to spay your catgirl.

Greyfeld
2010-08-28, 01:44 PM
Speaking of orb of force from a housecat, I really do need to play a kitten sorc/wizard with human familiar sometime. The opponents THINK the big beefy man is an incredibly powerful mage too, or maybe (if they're smart) that there's an invisible mage somwhere.

They never think to look at the kitty under the table.

I have to say... that is freakin BRILLIANT.

Randel
2010-08-28, 02:29 PM
Or alternatly, play a human who just wears cat-themed clothing for some reason.

A cleric who worships a cat god (like Bast or something)

A rogue who is a cat-burgler

A druid with a feline animal companion and wild-shapes into a tiger

A wizard or sorcerer with a cat animal companion. Maybe gets some clawed gloves or a hat with cat ears for some reason (gloves are enchanted to give a bonus to touch attacks, melee atacks, or to climb walls. Maybe the cat ears are her headband of intellect that use Foxes Cunning or maybe "Cats Cunning" or the like).

I'm sure it would be possible to play as a decent human with cat themed eccentricities while still being as silly or serious as the case may call for.

"Kill you? Silly boy, everyone knows that cats play with their food before killing it. At least, until it stops being entertaining." *cue repeated attacks for non-lethal damage until the opponent can't more anymore.*

Enemy looks around to see where the players went, then sees a little cat symbol engraved on the wall. Enemy takes a closer look at it and the Explosive Runes blow up and kill them.

Enemies attack the group but the cat-themed player quickly runs up a wall with Slippers of Spider Climb and attacks the enemies from range. Afterwards when all the enemies are dead she insists that she can't come down and needs someone to catch her when she drops.

Ring of Feather fall means she always lands on her feet regardless of the height.

Invisibility from an item improves the ability to sneak about.

Hat of disguise lets you take on whatever illusionary form you want if you really need to look like a cat-person to scare people.

Basically, there are always ways to get whatever powers you want from magic items without getting into level adjustment or obscure races.

balistafreak
2010-08-28, 02:37 PM
For additional lulz, use Handle Animal to guide a squadron of Incarnum Housecats around.

Those things are dangerous.

true_shinken
2010-08-28, 07:29 PM
Hengeyokai (cat).

Crasical
2010-08-28, 07:43 PM
What and where are the 'Updated' +0 LA Hengaiyokai? I might decide to play a Cat Hengeyokai as a Cait Sidhe in one of my next games.

vicente408
2010-08-28, 07:53 PM
Assuming the reason for being a catgirl is for appearance only, then a refluffed human or elf or whatever other race you want with mechanics that suit you.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-08-28, 07:56 PM
Druids with the shapeshifter alternative class feature from the PHB II can make their forms look like anything they like. Catgirls would be no problem.

true_shinken
2010-08-28, 07:57 PM
What and where are the 'Updated' +0 LA Hengaiyokai? I might decide to play a Cat Hengeyokai as a Cait Sidhe in one of my next games.

Dragon 318.

Assuming the reason for being a catgirl is for appearance only, then a refluffed human or elf or whatever other race you want with mechanics that suit you.
Ya know, I sometimes wonder how helpful this kind of answer is. 'Just refluff it' is thrown around so many times in this forum that if it were a valid answer, no one would even ask anything, because refluffing would always be the answer.

Tiki Snakes
2010-08-28, 08:00 PM
Low cost way to be a catgirl?
http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/69/b/AAAACzHEqyUAAAAAAGm8TA.jpg?v=1250790063000
You're Welcome.
The girl part could be a little more expensive and time consuming, admittedly.

Crasical
2010-08-28, 08:06 PM
Low cost way to be a catgirl?
http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/69/b/AAAACzHEqyUAAAAAAGm8TA.jpg?v=1250790063000
You're Welcome.

The last few years at my high school there where a pair of girls that wandered around in Cat-ears about half the time. Sometimes they even had collars.

They where cute, but pretty damn strange at the same time.

EDIT: To keep the thread on topic: From a purely mechanical standpoint, Hengeyokai Cat seems like the best possible solution if the only change with the update was to remove the LA. You lose some wis, but get to polymorph into cat-hybrid and Cat forms as well as native Human.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-28, 08:18 PM
Ya know, I sometimes wonder how helpful this kind of answer is. 'Just refluff it' is thrown around so many times in this forum that if it were a valid answer, no one would even ask anything, because refluffing would always be the answer.

Quite often, it is helpful - you'd be surprised how many people, in the internet and in RL, take what WoTC writes as semi-divine gospel. when everyone knows they'll let any hack write a sourcebook these days.:smallbiggrin:

Vitruviansquid
2010-08-28, 08:21 PM

Well he asked for the low cost ways to be a catgirl and that is definitely one of the lowest.

Crasical
2010-08-28, 08:49 PM
Quite often, it is helpful - you'd be surprised how many people, in the internet and in RL, take what WoTC writes as semi-divine gospel. when everyone knows they'll let any hack write a sourcebook these days.:smallbiggrin:

There are still DMs that will punch your soul off if you try and bring in non WotC approved stuff. Warkitty's post seemed to indicate that he's a pretty relaxed guy, but there's always a chance you'll get a DM who'll use his/her 1/day rage if you bring them some homebrewed stuff you want to play.

As a DM, just refluffing stuff is fine. But sometimes you need to have some mechanical, approved alternative to show your DM before he'll consider stuff. I know I'd be a little disappointed if I came asking for something and just got 'Refluff humans' as the response.

WarKitty
2010-08-28, 09:12 PM
Yeah the idea was having something past just fluff. She actually does make use of a shapechanging ability for more than just LOLs

vicente408
2010-08-28, 09:16 PM
Dragon 318.

The thing is, a lot of people are reluctant to take that route though. From what I read here, a lot of players are resistant to trying anything that isn't explicitly written out in a book or supplement, at least when it comes to character creation.

If the OP wants explicit mechanical effects that simulate being a catgirl, then refluffing won't be as useful. That's why I said, "assuming the reason is appearance only."

Yeah the idea was having something past just fluff. She actually does make use of a shapechanging ability for more than just LOLs
One of the options recommended so far should probably work, then. Shifter or tibbet sound best to me, but it's your choice.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-28, 10:13 PM
the cat Hengayokai is probably the best. Tibbits aren't actually cat-people...they're either cats, or people, but they have no hybrid form that I know of.