PDA

View Full Version : in-game solo quest

heymejack
2010-08-28, 10:18 AM
my player's paladin wants a pegasus. i want him to go through a series of 'trials'. probably combat, and some other stuff. don't want to go into details because i suspect he's spying on me here. but what do you folks think of the idea of the other players going on an in-city adventure while the paladin is at the temple going through a series of trials.

Waylor
2010-08-28, 10:32 AM
I find solo-adventures really usefull and interesting, just try to keep him on pair with the rest of the party (xp/gold wise), like dont give him experience for his solo adventure, play the rest of the group session and then give him the same amount of experience (if you give additional experience for roleplaying, that would be the only exception).

This prevents other members getting jelous because he got more experience and things like that, if anyone says anything just tell them next time it could be them.

heymejack
2010-08-28, 11:14 AM
yeah i wasn't going to give him any xp for the things he fights/does directly, but just give him the same xp as the party gets for their adventure and call it roleplay. pretty much exactly what you said. glad that makes sense from a point of view other than mine.

my real worry is continuity. should i try to get the fights to line up so noone gets bored when someone else is trying to resolve combat (which takes up most of our games, to be fair). maybe that's it, i just keep the roleplay side of things going on both sides and if one of them gets to the fight, they just get a break till the other group catches up, and then we all resolve combat (or whatever, in the case of paladin trials) together. does that make sense? or is there a better way?

Crow
2010-08-28, 11:30 AM
That makes sense, and it is less time-restrictive to run the combats concurrently.