PDA

View Full Version : I'm Going To The Hospital

Koury
2010-08-28, 02:45 PM
Yep. Thread title says it all. I really don't want to, however, and am delaying the trip by posting about it here.

Why I'm Going To The Hospital (potential too much info, but nothing too detailed):
So, yesterday I'm hanging out with one of my friends. She lives pretty far away (like 45 minute drive), out in the middle of nowhere. There are supposed to be a few other people coming over. We're all gonna hang out and have a fun Friday night.

I go to the bathroom. Everything is normal. I go to flush the toilet and notice the water is awfully red. It takes me a second, but I realize it was me who made the water red. Like the entire bowl. So, thinking I was lied to in sex ed about only girls getting their periods (and not really knowing what else to do), I call my friend over and have her look.

I'm immeadatly told to go to the hospital. As in, she tried to throw me out and force me to go. I mean, I know I should go (and in fact, I will be going soon), but Friday night hasn't even started yet...

Anyway, long story short, I succeed an epic level Diplomacy check and convice her to let me stay. Also, let me just say I'm aware that that was a foolish choice. I'm ok with that. I'm quite clearly still alive, after all.

So yeah. I'm gonna eat some breakfast (why yes, it is 1 pm, why do you ask?), take a shower and otherwise delay for the next hour or two, but yeah. I'm going to the hospital soon.

RS14
2010-08-28, 02:50 PM
So yeah. I'm gonna eat some breakfast (why yes, it is 1 pm, why do you ask?), take a shower and otherwise delay for the next hour or two, but yeah. I'm going to the hospital soon.

Don't eat. Your stomach needs to be empty if you go under anesthesia.

Eadin
2010-08-28, 02:56 PM
You do know this can be a serious issue and that you should hurry before it gets worse
Go there now, blood coming out of something is never good unless you're a girl
Now go!

factotum
2010-08-28, 02:58 PM
Go now! Blood in urine could mean serious kidney issues and you want to get them looked at ASAP. I know the natural belief is that nothing will really be wrong with you until you have some tests done at the hospital, but it isn't really the case!

Koury
2010-08-28, 02:59 PM

Gah, but I'm hungry. :smallfrown:

You do know this can be a serious issue and that you should hurry before it gets worse
Go there now, blood coming out of something is never good unless you're a girl
Now go!

Yeah, I know. I got a urinary tract infection a few years back and had blood coming out the other end. Life is exciting.

EDIT:
Go now! Blood in urine could mean serious kidney issues and you want to get them looked at ASAP. I know the natural belief is that nothing will really be wrong with you until you have some tests done at the hospital, but it isn't really the case!

Ack, I guess my story wasn't as clear as it should have been. Blood in my stool, not urine this time.

Spiryt
2010-08-28, 02:59 PM

This. Don't post on a forum too, go straight to the hospital, it would make everything simpler.

Asta Kask
2010-08-28, 03:03 PM
You. Need. To. Go. NOW!!!

If you are still bleeding then you could pass out before you make it to the hospital, and if that means you end up somewhere people don't notice you, you could die.

And don't drive - use a cab if necessary.

Koury
2010-08-28, 03:07 PM
You. Need. To. Go. NOW!!!

If you are still bleeding then you could pass out before you make it to the hospital, and if that means you end up somewhere people don't notice you, you could die.

And don't drive - use a cab if necessary.

This happened like 15 hours ago. I've felt fine the entire time.

However, I will be going soon. I'm just dreading spending forever down there. Also, I have no money (in the most litteral sense possible). That'll make things interesting, I'm sure.

Asta Kask
2010-08-28, 03:10 PM
This happened like 15 hours ago. I've felt fine the entire time.

If the injury is small and in the viscera or intestines, you can go without pain it until you suddenly keel over. Happened to a friend of mine. They sought aid because he was feeling very tired and the doctors were just about to discharge him when he fainted.

Zom B
2010-08-28, 03:13 PM
Bright red blood is usually indicative of a hemorrhoid, which is a lot more common than you think. It's usually not something you have to seek medical attention for unless it's a substantial blood loss or it occurs very frequently.

The symptoms of pathological hemorrhoids depend on the type present. Internal hemorrhoids usually present with painless rectal bleeding while external hemorrhoids present with pain in the area of the anus.

Recommended treatment consists of increasing fiber intake, oral fluids to maintain hydration, NSAID analgesics, sitz baths, and rest. Surgery is reserved for those who fail to improve following these measures.

The big one you need to seek immediate medical attention for is dark blood, which means that you're bleeding somewhere in your intestinal tract.

Koury
2010-08-28, 03:18 PM
Bright red blood is usually indicative of a hemorrhoid, which is a lot more common than you think. It's usually not something you have to seek medical attention for unless it's a substantial blood loss or it occurs very frequently.

The big one you need to seek immediate medical attention for is dark blood, which means that you're bleeding somewhere in your intestinal tract.

That is essentially what my grandmother told me.

Well, I guess I can cross off Hospital Visit from my to do list, right?

...Right?

Yes, I'm joking.

Lycan 01
2010-08-28, 03:32 PM
Yeeeeah, might wanna see the docs about that. My roommate started bleeding randomly, and it kept happening for... quite some time. 2 weeks, I think? He went to the doctor, and they did a colonoscopy or whatever, since colon cancer runs in his family. Turns out it wasn't cancer, he'd just torn the lining of his intestines while doing heavy lifting, or something like that. It healed naturally over time...

Xyk
2010-08-28, 03:38 PM
This sounds similar to the time I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. I waited weeks before telling anyone and turned out basically okay. Calling your doctor is probably the right thing to do unless it's a dangerous quantity. Probably drink water or something.

Zom B
2010-08-28, 03:59 PM
Take some fiber. Really can only help. Digestive and heart health and all.

Asta Kask
2010-08-28, 04:06 PM
No. Do not stop. Do not pass "GO". Do not collect $200. Go directly to the hospital.

KenderWizard
2010-08-28, 04:31 PM
If you think it would be easier for you to do (financially, emotionally, mentally, whatever), make an emergency appointment to see your family doctor. Hospitals can be busy and expensive, so if it's not something serious, going to see your doctor might be just as effective and less traumatic, if they can see you in the next 24 hours or so. But if you're still bleeding, or you're feeling faint or unwell, take a taxi or get a friend to drive you to the hospital. Actually, I hope you already have done that!

onthetown
2010-08-28, 05:03 PM
My cousin started bleeding like that and it turns out he has infectious things in his intestines. Because he didn't get it looked at soon enough, he now has to go for hugely invasive surgery to fix it.

Go.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-28, 05:23 PM
Anyway, long story short, I succeed an epic level Diplomacy check and convice her to let me stay. Also, let me just say I'm aware that that was a foolish choice. I'm ok with that. I'm quite clearly still alive, after all.

Nice roll. Must have put a lot of ranks into the skill. Hope you're alright though.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-08-28, 05:25 PM
The consensus seems to be: It might be nothing bad, it might be life-threatening. Don't take a risk. Go.

Koury
2010-08-28, 06:28 PM
OK, leaving for the hospital right now.

What? Don't look at me like that.

Koury
2010-08-28, 09:49 PM
Well, I'm back. Diagnosis: Internal hemorrhoids.

Fun stuff. I don't really know WHY I have them, but I suppose that is what the internet is for. I guess I need to stay hydrated, go get this stool softener prescription filled, and so on.

I'd write more, but I'm hungry. Its 7:45 pm and I haven't eaten today.

Gullara
2010-08-28, 10:13 PM
Hope you get well soon

Cheetah109
2010-08-29, 01:39 AM
Glad for you that is wasn't something worse. Hope it all turns out ok.

Koury
2010-08-29, 01:48 AM
Hope you get well soon

Glad for you that is wasn't something worse. Hope it all turns out ok.

I'm honestly not entirely sure what 'getting well' would entail.

Judging by my prescription being a one time, non-refillable type thing, it seems like something you just try to not make worse. Is there something I'm supposed to do to try and fix?

I feel like I wasn't given much info, really.

EDIT: Of course, the sentiment is very much appreciated. I just don't know what, if anything, a next step would be.

Lycan 01
2010-08-29, 02:02 AM
I'm not sure there's much treatment, actually. :smallconfused: Then again, I'm not a doctor. I've just never heard much about treatments for that...

Get well soon, or at least don't bleed to death. :smalleek:

Serpentine
2010-08-29, 02:12 AM
Hur hur. Poop.

Didn't the doctor tell you what to do?

Koury
2010-08-29, 02:22 AM
Hur hur. Poop.

Didn't the doctor tell you what to do?

Um... I got a prescription for stool softener and a packet telling me to stay hydrated and to not strain hard when I poop. (I'm pretty sure I poop normally, for the record)

So yeah, kinda, but no, not really. :smallannoyed:

Serpentine
2010-08-29, 02:25 AM
Then there's a good chance that's all you can do. Consider making an appointment with a GP, especially if it doesn't go away in, say, a week or two.

Worira
2010-08-29, 02:30 AM
Congratulations! You win the Probably Not Bleeding To Death Any Time Soon award!

Much better than the runner-up award.

Koury
2010-08-29, 02:34 AM
Congratulations! You win the Probably Not Bleeding To Death Any Time Soon award!

Much better than the runner-up award.

Woo, now to just get someone to draw up the award, and I'll place it permanently on my sig. :smallamused:

Spiryt
2010-08-29, 03:47 AM
Hemorrhoid are simply dysfunctions of blood vessels in anus region TBoMK....

In young age, they would be caused be sitting lifestyle, dysfunctions of digestion...

So generally healthier lifestyle can only help - but also can not, if causes are more complicated. That's really job for doctors.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-08-29, 05:25 AM
:smallfurious:

You have cursed me with this thread, sir! I read it, went to the loo, and my hemorrhoid is acting up for the first time in years.

GitP has become contagious! Run for the hills!

KenderWizard
2010-08-29, 09:37 AM
A good lifestyle for minimising haemorrhoids, says the girl brought up by a nutritionist, is pretty similar to the one for minimising heart attacks and stroke.

-Do some exercise, preferably 20-30 minutes every day, like running. Just doing five minutes of running up and down the stairs a couple of times a day works.
-Eat plenty of fruit and fibrous foods: wholewheat bread, or those high-fibre cereals. Apples are good. Porridge is pretty good, I think.
-As your doctor reccommended, stay hydrated. Carry a bottle of water around and keep reminding yourself to take a drink until it becomes a habit.
-And don't sit on radiators, apparently that can make things worse down there.*

Not sure about that last one, but better safe than bleeding into your underwear! :smalltongue:

*As far as I know, sitting on radiators does not increase the risk of heart attack or stroke.