PDA

View Full Version : A question about the Scorpion Grab Feat

Jyokage
2010-08-28, 02:57 PM
Thingy from sandstorm. I'm current AFB, but I seem to remember it allows one to start a grapple after a successful unarmed attack. Now, does this mean that if the grapple is successful, that the enemy takes damage twice? Once from the attack, the other for the damage inflicted after a successful grapple?

Knaight
2010-08-28, 03:11 PM
No, as it takes an action during a grapple to inflict unarmed damage. This just lets you get in a shot to begin with. That said, there are plenty of ways to injure people simply by being near them, and it could be ruled that it allows one of those in addition to a grab.

Jyokage
2010-08-28, 03:26 PM
AH, thank ya' kindly.

Keld Denar
2010-08-28, 04:40 PM
If you had the Constrict special quality (there are about 4 non-polymorph ways for PCs to get it), then you would, but it would be the Constrict ability dealing the damage, not the grapple attempt.

Greenish
2010-08-28, 05:46 PM
No, as it takes an action during a grapple to inflict unarmed damage. This just lets you get in a shot to begin with. That said, there are plenty of ways to injure people simply by being near them, and it could be ruled that it allows one of those in addition to a grab.Actually, I believe starting the grapple allows you to deal your unarmed damage as a free action.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple

With Scorpion's Grasp, you skip step 1, use normal attack in step 2, then can proceed to step 3, which is a free action and deals damage.

Jyokage
2010-08-28, 08:32 PM
That's actually what I thought...Hmm, I just thought I was playing wrong. (Which would suck since I love grappler builds)