PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Wanted-fun homebrew cantrips

Ilmryn
2010-08-28, 08:42 PM
I need some fun new cantrips for a potential character in this game. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166131) They should be on the same power level as other cantrips(i.e. limited use, but fun to have), but other than that, anything goes!

SilentNight
2010-08-28, 08:59 PM
One I did for Swampgas a while back (see my sig)

Breath of Fresh Air
Transmutation
Level:Clr 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0, Rgr 1, Wu-jen(Water, Air) 0
Components:S
Casting time:Standard action
Range:Touch
Target:One creature currently holding their breath.
Duration:Instantaneous
Saving throw:None(harmless)
Spell Resistance:No
Upon touching the creature you recycle the air in their lungs. The creature is treated as if they just began holding their breath regardless of the time already past.

Maybe useful for surviving swirlies, who knows?

Lysander
2010-08-28, 11:47 PM
A while back I started a thread where I offered to make people cantrips with any effect they asked for. I forget how many I made, dozens at least. Not all are great of course, but I think there are a few pretty cool ones.

Request A Cantrip (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148665)

This one I came up with elsewhere and I think it's pretty good, and probably very useful in a high magic campaign like yours.

Glimpse
Divination
Level: Brd 0, Clr 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Duration: 1 round
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You briefly gain supernatural vision. Choose one and only one of the following effects upon casting the spell:

*Darkvision
*Low-light vision
*See into the ethereal plane
*Normal vision despite being blinded
*See in color with pre-existing Darkvision
*Gain a +4 modifier on spot checks to detect invisible creatures and objects. This has no effect if you can see invisible things.
*Emit light from your eyes that provides bright illumination in a 60-foot cone and shadowy illumination in a 120-foot cone. If cast this way the spell has the Light descriptor.

If the spell's duration is increased past one round, a standard action must be spent to focus your supernatural vision on any subsequent round you use it.

Material
A fleck of rainbow obsidian

DracoDei
2010-08-28, 11:56 PM
Nice one SilentNight.

Revan Ordo
2010-08-30, 07:52 AM
Ilmryn,

Here is one we have loads of fun with in my group.

Ignite
Conjuration [Fire]
Level: Duskblade 0, Sorcerer/wizard 0, Warmage 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One creature or object.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex partial (see description)

Your outstretched finger glows bright red and radiates heat like an ember, enabling you to set objects alight.

Make a melee touch attack that deals 1d3 points of fire damage and causes flammable objects (i.e. cloth, fur, oil, paper, wood, etc.) to ignite. A held object touched is allowed a Reflex save (DC = spell save (10 + spellcasting modifier)) to avoid catching fire. If the object catches fire, it is subject to the rules for catching fire in the DMG.

ericgrau
2010-08-30, 11:37 AM
Hey that should be evocation :smallfurious:. Evocation is still pissed about the orb of X thing and files a complaint. Anyhoo...

Scream of the Banshee: As wail of the banshee, but everyone in the area is instead greatly annoyed giving a -1 to rolls for 1 round. Hits allies too.

Cacophony (conjuration): Silly string, confetti, tiny firecrackers (not enough to set anything on fire), streamers and the like spring from your hand in a 30 foot cone. They usually have no effect and disappear after caster level rounds. This spell may be used as a distraction (readied action to provoke a concentration check equal to this spell's save DC + spell level of the spell opponent is casting).

Jolly
2010-08-30, 11:57 AM
I love Ignite, especially in conjunction with the Grease spell. ;) We always ran it as an auto-starting very combustible material, no intrinsic damage but no to hit either. Called shot to the face with a flask of oil + ring of ignite = hilarity. As does Greasing a creature stuck in a Web then igniting both. :)

Esser-Z
2010-08-30, 02:54 PM
Create Alcohol. It's like create water, but alcoholic. Originally created in a PF game for a cleric of Cayden.

Aran Banks
2010-08-30, 03:02 PM
Cacaphony sounds like a use of prestidigitation.

Xefas
2010-08-30, 05:44 PM
Scream of the Banshee: As wail of the banshee, but everyone in the area is instead greatly annoyed giving a -1 to rolls for 1 round. Hits allies too.

Oh my god, I'm inspired. I wanna do lesser versions of all the core 9th level spells now. Here's Abjuration:

Lesser Freedom
Abjuration
Level: Sorc/Wiz 0
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Close
Target: One Creature
Saving Throw: None (Harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes

The target is freed from the effects of Lesser Imprisonment.

Lesser Imprisonment
Abjuration
Saving Throw: Reflex negates
Spell Resistance: None

With a gesture, you conjure forth a vile contraption upon the fingers of your target in the form of a Chinese Finger Trap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_finger_trap), giving them a -2 penalty on all Dexterity checks involving manual dexterity. If they succeed on a DC 5 Intelligence or Wisdom check, they may free themselves with a swift action.

Lesser Disjunction
Abjuration
Components: V
Area: 5-foot radius circle
Saving Throw: Will negates

You utter a word of arcane sundering that utterly disjoins and annihilates all Prestidigitation effects in a small area. Porridge flavored like the finest lobster bisque returns to its natural blandness, trousers magically cleaned are re-filthified, and a mage that has turned his robes green for Saint Patrick's day is now subject to a severe pinching.

You even have a 1% possibility of disjoining a Prestidigitation effect produced by an Artifact or God with Divine Rank 1 or greater. However, successfully doing so requires the mage to make a DC 10 Will save or suffer a mild headache.

Lesser Prismatic Sphere
Abjuration
Target: You
Duration: 10 minutes per level

You conjure up an immobile, opaque globe of shimmering, multicolored light that surrounds you and protects you from absolutely no forms of attack.

----

Maybe more later?

Ilmryn
2010-08-30, 08:40 PM
Oh my god, I'm inspired. I wanna do lesser versions of all the core 9th level spells now. Here's Abjuration:

Lesser Freedom
Abjuration
Spell Resistance: Yes

The target is freed from the effects of Lesser Imprisonment.

Lesser Imprisonment
Abjuration
Saving Throw: Reflex negates
Spell Resistance: None

With a gesture, you conjure forth a vile contraption upon the fingers of your target in the form of a Chinese Finger Trap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_finger_trap), giving them a -2 penalty on all Dexterity checks involving manual dexterity. If they succeed on a DC 5 Intelligence or Wisdom check, they may free themselves with a swift action.

Lesser Disjunction
Abjuration
Components: V
Area: 5-foot radius circle
Saving Throw: Will negates

You utter a word of arcane sundering that utterly disjoins and annihilates all Prestidigitation effects in a small area. Porridge flavored like the finest lobster bisque returns to its natural blandness, trousers magically cleaned are re-filthified, and a mage that has turned his robes green for Saint Patrick's day is now subject to a severe pinching.

You even have a 1% possibility of disjoining a Prestidigitation effect produced by an Artifact or God with Divine Rank 1 or greater. However, successfully doing so requires the mage to make a DC 10 Will save or suffer a mild headache.

Lesser Prismatic Sphere
Abjuration
Target: You
Duration: 10 minutes per level

You conjure up an immobile, opaque globe of shimmering, multicolored light that surrounds you and protects you from absolutely no forms of attack.

----

Maybe more later?

Those. Are. Great. Too bad I decided to play a beguiler...well maybe next time.

EDIT-lesser prismatic sphere should probably be an illusion, though.

The Mentalist
2010-08-30, 09:22 PM
Doesn't Lesser Prismatic Sphere give total concealment?

DracoDei
2010-09-11, 09:23 AM
Well, this is past the 3 page rule, but not the 6 week rule, so oddly enough, this DOESN'T count as threadomancy...

Assemble Skeleton
Necromancy
Level: Brd 0, Clr 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0, Rgr 1, Wu-jen(?Earth??, ?Fire??) 0
Components: V, S, F
Casting time: Full Round Action
Target: One skeleton/exoskeleton (of which you only need to have located one bone), all of which must be within, and fit within when assembled, 1 foot per caster level.
Duration: 1 minute per caster level
Saving throw: None (object only)
Spell Resistance: No (object only)
Developed by an archeologist wizard by taking Animate Dead and then stripping out, the control abilities, the long-term stability, and... well almost everything really, this spell is only objected to by the most strict of moralists.

You touch a single bone (or exoskeleton piece) from a dead (not undead or deathless) creature. If any such piece is currently part of a construct, the spell fails. All such pieces from that creature within 1 foot per caster level fly around and assemble themselves, requiring 1 round for a fine creature, and one additional round for each size category above fine. The pieces then float in the air in the positions they would have if the living creature was resting on the ground while alive. Individual pieces can be removed from there positions easily, and the whole thing drops to the ground if not supported when the spell ends, but this allows wiring up of the full skeleton if you are quick enough, or can cast the spell multiple times (or permanency it as below).

This spell can be permanency-ed by a caster of at least 9th level for 500 XPs, in which case the bones become firmer in their positional fixedness with respect to eachother (enough so that the whole thing can be picked up as a unit with only minimal care not to grab by too delicate a part). Most naturalists consider this the highest quality way to display a skeleton. Note especially that the slight tug on the soul of the creature necessary to access the essence of its form to get everything in the right place is long since fled during the initial casting.

Focus: A black Onyx of at least 10 GP value

Semi-plot hook: Free-standing skeleton... many adventurers would smash, just to be on the safe side... owner of rare specimen will be peeved if they do. 2,500+ gp cost to recast the permanency after bones repaired with Make Whole.