PDA

View Full Version : Specialty Priests of dragon gods (2nd Edition D&D)

Beelzebub1111
2010-08-28, 09:07 PM
I want my next character in my 2nd ed campaign to be a Dwarf Cleric of either Io or Astilabor, emphasizing the dwarven tendency to hoard wealth and extrapolating it to a...draconic level. Is there any information on specialty priests of either of these gods? Homebrew or otherwise?

Balain
2010-08-28, 09:11 PM
There was the box set Council of Wyrms they had stuff on p[laying dragons for 2nd edition I believe and clerics of IO.

Beelzebub1111
2010-08-28, 09:29 PM
There was the box set Council of Wyrms they had stuff on p[laying dragons for 2nd edition I believe and clerics of IO.
Playing dragons, yes. Nothing for specialty priests of Io, or anything about his spheres of influence.

Beelzebub1111
2010-08-29, 07:18 AM
Nothing? Damn, I guess I'll have to make my own.
Any ideas for balanced powers...or some format I could use? probably going with Astilabor.

hamlet
2010-08-30, 07:28 AM
As far as I know, no specialty priest classes were built for the dragon gods. It was never stated, but heavily implied, that the lesser races (i.e., everything non-draconic) were ignorant of the existance of all the draconic deities excepting Tiamat and Bahamut, and those two only because they took an inerest in humans and their ilk.

jmbrown
2010-08-30, 08:25 AM
Ao is an overdeity and specifically doesn't grant spells. There are no specialty clerics to dragons in any of the sourcebooks.

Abbathor is the dwarven god of greed and his clerics are described in the 2E Forgotten Realms book Demihuman Deities.

Beelzebub1111
2010-08-30, 08:30 AM
Abbathor is the dwarven god of greed and his clerics are described in the 2E Forgotten Realms book Demihuman Deities.
I would have gone with that one, but his is more of an Evil, theiving greed. I'm thinking more of a mentality to acquire wealth for the sake of having wealth and status, and Astilabor seems to fit that better.

...Although Noroghors are damn impressive. Shapechange 3 times per day at 7TH LEVEL! there's no part of that sentence I don't like.

Thane of Fife
2010-08-30, 08:36 AM
As far as I know, no specialty priest classes were built for the dragon gods. It was never stated, but heavily implied, that the lesser races (i.e., everything non-draconic) were ignorant of the existance of all the draconic deities excepting Tiamat and Bahamut, and those two only because they took an inerest in humans and their ilk.

Cult of the Dragon had a specialty priest for Null, but I think it was restricted to dragons only.

hamlet
2010-08-30, 10:20 AM
Cult of the Dragon had a specialty priest for Null, but I think it was restricted to dragons only.

Yes, IIRC it was only for Dragons which is why I didn't mention it.

EvilJames
2010-08-30, 03:35 PM
Ao is an overdeity and specifically doesn't grant spells. There are no specialty clerics to dragons in any of the sourcebooks.

Ao is the FR overgod, Io is the father of dragonkind (It's a common confusion). Io does grant spells just not generally to human/ demi-human followers because he literally has no interest in them. However in the 3rd ed draconomicon and races of the dragon he is mentioned so you might be able to reverse engineer a 2nd ed specialty priest from that.