PDA

View Full Version : "dual over"- beginner's question

asi
2010-08-29, 07:34 AM
Hi,

what does it mean to "dual over at level x"

(see for example http://dlh.net/chtdb/chtview.php?lang=ger&typ=Engl.%20Leitfaden&sys=pc&cap=&search=&match=&layout=&disp=e32305&page=1)

Does it mean x level in the original class
and then change class or does it mean changing class at level 6,i.e. x-1
levels of the original class?

zenanarchist
2010-08-29, 07:37 AM
Hi,

what does it mean to "dual over at level x"

(see for example http://dlh.net/chtdb/chtview.php?lang=ger&typ=Engl.%20Leitfaden&sys=pc&cap=&search=&match=&layout=&disp=e32305&page=1)

Does it mean x level in the original class
and then change class or does it mean changing class at level 6,i.e. x-1
levels of the original class?

It means dual class at level x.

E.G if it said: Dual over at level 6 to fighter. You'd dual class to fighter.

This is guess work, I can't find the bit your talking about.

asi
2010-08-29, 08:26 AM
I have seen "dual over at level x" several times on other sites as well and wondered what it exactly meant. I'm no native english speaker, so it gets me a bit confused. For example
"x-> Dual over at level x" appears in the above link, with more context:
Fighter 6-> Bard. So will I have a level six fighter, then switch,or will I have a level 5 fighter, then switch with my sixth level?

Shpadoinkle
2010-08-29, 09:47 AM
I have seen "dual over at level x" several times on other sites as well and wondered what it exactly meant. I'm no native english speaker, so it gets me a bit confused. For example
"x-> Dual over at level x" appears in the above link, with more context:
Fighter 6-> Bard. So will I have a level six fighter, then switch,or will I have a level 5 fighter, then switch with my sixth level?

It means you advance as a fighter until you have six levels in it, then at level 7 you start taking levels of bard, becoming a fighter 6/bard 1. It's like saying "Drive down Main Street and turn right at Oak Street." You don't turn the block before or after Oak Street, you turn on to Oak Street.

Lapak
2010-08-29, 11:09 AM
It's perhaps worth noting that Icewind Dale (which was discussed at your link) operates under 2nd edition rules. Multi-classing works very differently in each of 2nd, 3rd and 4th editions. In 2e, humans could only multi-class by abandoning their first class forever and picking up a second (dual-classing) while demi-humans could advance in multiple classes at once (multi-classing) but very slowly.

asi
2010-08-29, 11:15 AM
Thanks! I know the 3.0 rules quite a bit, but near
to nothing about 2nd edition (same as AD&D, is it) or fourth edition. Might try out new 4th edition.

LibraryOgre
2010-08-29, 07:26 PM
To answer a bit pedantically:

In 1st/2nd edition, humans could not be what was called "multi-classed"; that is, they could not advance in two classes simultaneously. They could, however, change classes completely... stopping advancement in one class, in order to be another. In 2nd edition, this was called "being a dual-classed character" or, in internet-verb speak, "dual" or "dualling".

Kish
2010-08-29, 07:32 PM
2nd edition (same as AD&D, is it)
Okay. There's 0D&D, which had no Advanced label.

There's 1st Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, which was theoretically to be played by an older group than played Dungeons and Dragons.
There's 2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons.
There's 3rd Edition Dungeons and Dragons, which came out concurrently with the cessation of production of what had been called just Dungeons and Dragons all this time; WotC bowed to the fact that their "you play this if you're a child or a young teenager and this if you're an older teenager or an adult" model had never been reality.
There's 3.5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons, which is a lot like 3ed.
There's 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons, which came out one edition after the label Advanced had been dropped.