PDA

View Full Version : Grapplin' Beast [3.5]

Hallavast
2010-08-29, 01:59 PM
Hey Playground. I need a "monster" that would be able to lay a good old-fashioned ass-whippin' on a midlevel optimized reaping mauler in a wrastlin match. That means something with a +30-35 grapple modifier at CR 10-16.

-Tentacles (and other natural weapons I guess) are especially appreciated.

-Something easily adaptable to any adventure setting would be nice (so campaign or environment specific monsters should be downplayed).

- Many lower CR monsters or one big CR beast are both ok. The goal is to challenge the mauler enough so that he must rely on his party members to win.

-Adjustable templates, hit dice advancement, or even character levels are not out of the question.

- The wrestler in question has clever wrestling, so if size is a big part of the bonus, it won't help much for this challenge.

I am not the DM for this challenge, but the guy who is doesn't like to get engrossed in a lot of rules, so I'm basically doing that part for him. I'm just a fellow party member that would like to do a little more than cast a few buffs and watch the barbarian/wrestler/luchador crush heads between his thighs once in a while.

Lhurgyof
2010-08-29, 02:04 PM
A human monk of freedom/barbarian named Hulk Hogan?

Eldariel
2010-08-29, 02:16 PM
Any grappling monster on those levels will do. Honestly, they all eat a Reaping Mauler for lunch. Easiest out of the Core are Purple Worm (+40, CR 12), Colossal Scorpion (+58, CR 12), Kraken (+44, CR 12) & Elder Black Pudding (+35, CR 12). With little advancement, Gibbering Mouther and Tendriculous would reach those CRs too and be very formidable grapplers (grow a Mouther into Huge and give it ~20 more HD and it'll be scary; Tendri too).

Then you have Darktentacles (+30, CR 7 - advance a bit if you want a massacre, it's only Large) [Monster Manual II], Moonbeast (+31, CR 16) [MMII] & co. give you more tentacles than you have room for.

Zaq
2010-08-29, 02:24 PM
Totemist, totemist, totemist, totemist, totemist!

Oh, you wanted a "proper" monster, instead of someone who just grafts the best parts of monsters onto themselves? Trickier, if you want them to be competent AND give the PC a slim chance at winning. By high levels, it's usually all-or-nothing. Maybe make them something big and flying, so that if the PC pins them, they're not supported by anything anymore... make 'em think twice, you know? (With a totemist, you can rearrange his essentia until his mod is where you want it. If he's murdering the PC and not being fun, give him a reason to need to beef up his defenses, or something, and the PC will have a slightly higher chance of victory. Don't GIVE your PC the win, but don't make it impossible, either.)