PDA

View Full Version : Master of Orion thread

Gamerlord
2010-08-29, 05:00 PM
Here is the thread for the Master of Orion game series.

So, to start the conversation, what is your favorite custom race selection in MoO2?
Also, in MoO1, are you allowed to colonize dead planets? :smallconfused:

lord_khaine
2010-08-29, 05:09 PM
So, to start the conversation, what is your favorite custom race selection in MoO2?

No positive picks, and some negative trait like low gravity.

(played A LOT, and at some point Impossible startet to lose the challenge :smalltongue: )

The Glyphstone
2010-08-29, 05:12 PM
The 'Challenge' is finding new ways to 'win'. My favorite in MoO2 was galactic obliteration. Conquer until I had a huge fleet of Death Stars, then systematically vaporize every planet and solar system except my homeworld.

psilontech
2010-08-29, 08:09 PM
I like playing as the Borg, myself.

Telepathic
Unification
Repulsive

... And something that upped my troop's strength as to more easily take enemy vessels. Forgot what it was.

Assault Shuttles out the wazoo.
Then Teleporters out the wazoo.
Troop Pods.

Kill off the ships/stations/defensive installations of a planet, and mind-control it. (Clouds of nano-probes! Bwahahahahahahahaha!)

You know, that sort of thing.

Douglas
2010-08-29, 09:34 PM
The 'Challenge' is finding new ways to 'win'. My favorite in MoO2 was galactic obliteration. Conquer until I had a huge fleet of Death Stars, then systematically vaporize every planet and solar system except my homeworld.
Additional detail: You must not, at any point, control a planet other than your homeworld. Win by sole survivor without ever expanding beyond a single planet. This may require restarting until the map doesn't show any black holes that would cut off access to stars on the other side of them unless you're willing to gamble on finding one of the leaders that allows ignoring that.

Sindriss
2010-08-30, 12:45 AM
I am still looking for a way to play moo2 in win7 :(

Seppl
2010-08-30, 02:19 AM
I am still looking for a way to play moo2 in win7 :(

You can play moo2 in Dosbox. Then you can even use the unofficial fan patch (http://lordbrazen.blogspot.com) that works only with the DOS Version of the game (very recommended).

Winthur
2010-08-30, 02:35 AM
Also, in MoO1, are you allowed to colonize dead planets? :smallconfused:

Aren't there Planetology techs that allow you to eventually colonize even the most negative terrain, even Radiated? So yeah, I think there is, you just need to build a Colony Ship design which utilizes that technology after you discover it.

Winterwind
2010-08-30, 04:18 AM
So, to start the conversation, what is your favorite custom race selection in MoO2?Probably Industry+1, Unification, Subterranean, Charismatic, Rich Homeworld, Low-G, Spy-10, Ground Combat-10.
Or, when I'm feeling less fancy and more aggressive, Industry+2, Unification, Subterranean, Rich Homeworld, Repulsive, Money-0.5.

Yes, I like industry races. :smalltongue:

Also, I'm pretty convinced Charismatic may well be the strongest pick, point for point, in the game. Having the other races basically do your will is nice, the many trade and research treaties provide a tremendous boost early on, and then there's the chance to get some leader early on that either improves your economy or research tremendously, or gives you some absolutely crucial tech.

Related with this, another fun build is Industry+1, Subterranean, Charismatic, Telepathic, Large Homeworld, Low-G, Money-0.5. And then pick up Xeno Psychology early on. I've consistently won in under 150 turns with that race, on Impossible in Huge galaxies, and I'm sure this could be decidedly improved yet - just ally with everyone, convince them to give you some cheap, low-population planets, and you will have won the Council Vote in no time.

No positive picks, and some negative trait like low gravity.

(played A LOT, and at some point Impossible startet to lose the challenge :smalltongue: )That is a harsh challenge. I tried playing with -10 picks, and always failed abysmally.

Challenges I rather enjoyed though were "Win the game without ever using any Workers", "Win the game without ever using any Scientists" and "Win the game without gaining any new technologies (reload the previous turn if you get any by conquest, discovering artifacts or any such thing)". I've been trying to "Win the game without ever using any Workers and Scientists", but haven't managed to do it so far, I'm pretty sure it's possible though.

Eldariel
2010-08-30, 04:44 AM
I'll have to say, I'm a huge fan good ol' Demovores: Democracy/Lithovore/Artifacts Homeworld/Repulsive/Ground Combat/Ship Attack - 60 rps turn 1! In general, Lithovore is a personal favorite; eating rocks FTW!

Winthur
2010-08-30, 07:04 AM
P
Challenges I rather enjoyed though were "Win the game without ever using any Workers", "Win the game without ever using any Scientists" and "Win the game without gaining any new technologies (reload the previous turn if you get any by conquest, discovering artifacts or any such thing)". I've been trying to "Win the game without ever using any Workers and Scientists", but haven't managed to do it so far, I'm pretty sure it's possible though.

I enjoy the simplicity of just choosing Mrrshans, Bulrathi or Darloks in the first game. Those guys are the most challenging there. :smalltongue:

Never had the chance to play MoO2.

Tengu_temp
2010-08-30, 07:14 AM
I like to play tech nerds - creative, democracy, increased industrial production, minuses to land combat, spying and money-making. I'm a completionist so I must have all the inventions.

Least favorite options are things that are best suited for a typical multiplayer MoO2 game, where you play at the smallest map and everyone just spams tiny ships with missiles in incredible quantities - repulsive, warlord et cetera.

Winterwind
2010-08-30, 07:52 AM
Least favorite options are things that are best suited for a typical multiplayer MoO2 game, where you play at the smallest map and everyone just spams tiny ships with missiles in incredible quantities - repulsive, warlord et cetera.Either of those work quite well for regular games in huge galaxies too, actually - Repulsive gives you a ton of points for but minor drawbacks if you are playing a powerhouse race that goes out to conquer the galaxy and is not interested in diplomacy in the first place, whereas Warlords is excellent if you intend to wage any war at all and be moderately aggressive - not only is it basically a +25 to attack and defence (and early on, every point there makes a major difference!), it also allows you to have a decent sized fleet without ruining your economy, so it's basically also a bonus money or industry modifier. All that for 4 points? Bargain!

And I've never liked spamming tiny ships with missiles, either. I know how effective it is... but I'd rather engage in real space battles, rather than "shoot and run away".

TheFallenOne
2010-08-30, 09:20 AM
That is a harsh challenge. I tried playing with -10 picks, and always failed abysmally.

I once tried maximizing point score and population, so I went with 14 race picks left(10 negative and subterranean) and in the end blew up every planet that wasn't large+ and turned the resulting asteroid field into a planet with artificial planet construction. That took quite some time, but my population in the end was just insane.
I could have gone with straight -20 race picks and just breed a subterranean race I conquered, but it was hard enough that way and I needed some luck, if a strong race was next to me in the beginning I went down.

Smight
2010-08-30, 09:51 AM
http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2006/05/dosbox-guide.html

here's a helpful link if anyone is interested in multiplayer.

Trixie
2010-08-30, 11:20 AM
Here is the thread for the Master of Orions game series.

Nitpick: there is only one Orion.

Custom, Lithovore, Creative, bonuses to science/production. All other perks are pretty much pointless.

Though, I have played industrial types, too, and master spies (which fails horribly).

Poison_Fish
2010-08-30, 11:25 AM

SNAKE!? SNAKE!!? YOU'LL CAUSE A TIME PARADOX! SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!

That being said, I was always a fan of the Gyro destabilizer. Even if it wasn't the most amazing thing since sliced bread, I did enjoy it's effects.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-30, 11:26 AM
Additional detail: You must not, at any point, control a planet other than your homeworld. Win by sole survivor without ever expanding beyond a single planet. This may require restarting until the map doesn't show any black holes that would cut off access to stars on the other side of them unless you're willing to gamble on finding one of the leaders that allows ignoring that.

Meh. I don't bother setting challenges to make winning harder, I just look for silly ways to win.

Winthur
2010-08-30, 11:27 AM

:smalleek: SPOILER ALERT! :smallfurious:

(:smallwink:)

Gamerlord
2010-08-30, 12:38 PM

Not if you count systems AND leaders :smalltongue: .

TheFallenOne
2010-08-30, 12:48 PM
actually, the Orion system frequently has asteroid belts, which can be turned into planets, so you can conceivably have Orion I - IV

Kish
2010-08-30, 01:03 PM
actually, the Orion system frequently has asteroid belts, which can be turned into planets, so you can conceivably have Orion I - IV
Is it actually possible for it not to have multiple asteroid belts? I've never seen that.

Poison_Fish
2010-08-30, 01:07 PM
Long ago, in a galaxy far far away, I had Orion just by itself. But then, I played a lot of MoO2. Usually I just see it with belts.

TheFallenOne
2010-08-30, 01:09 PM
the number varies, I think I've seen it without any at least once, but I may be wrong. Considering how long I've played this game, it's easy to misremember details

ObadiahtheSlim
2010-08-30, 01:50 PM
Home system only challenge is fun in MoO2. Of course on big maps you need to use outpost ships if you want to be able to get a conquest victory. Otherwise you the only victory option viable is attacking Antares. Diplomatic victory is pretty much impossible since you won't be the top 2.

Trixie
2010-08-30, 01:54 PM
Not if you count systems AND leaders :smalltongue: .

Doesn't change the fact thread title is wrong ;P

Actually, proper appellation would be: Orion (star), Orion b (first planet from the star), Orion c (second), etc. Still only one, it's the name of star, not the planets ;P

And it was a shame you couldn't change asteroid belt to planets in systems there was no planet, only belts. Some were quite nice :smallfrown:

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-08-30, 02:23 PM
For my negatives, I like grabbing Low-G, - Ground Combat, - Spying. Then again, I still tend to pick Creative, so Spying is less than necessary. The only problem is that you won't be able to capture opponent ships (like Antarans, to be able to get Antaran tech earlier, or to grab Damper Fields/Xenotronium armor if Orion didn't give it to you) as easily, due to the ground combat penalties stacked from Low-G and - Ground Combat.

I also like Subterranean, because more population = more production, but that's just me.

Winterwind
2010-08-30, 03:28 PM
Custom, Lithovore, Creative, bonuses to science/production. All other perks are pretty much pointless.Now, that's just wrong on so many levels...

Firstly, Creative is one of the worst picks available (if you are playing with the patched version, where it costs 8, thus being ridiculously overcosted) and just barely okay-ish if you are playing unpatched (6 is... okay for it, but it's still a rather sub-par choice). It's pretty much only worth it if you are a completionist who derives fun from ensuring you get every, however pointless tech; if you are trying to go for raw power though, it's highly inferior. And even for completionists, I find it far more interesting to find alternative ways to satisfy that urge.

Secondly, you are leaving out incredible amounts of highly useful picks.

Charismatic is, as I said before, in my opinion the single most powerful pick, point-for-point.

Subterranean gives you a tremendous edge in the late-game - so very much so I wouldn't leave the house without it if I'm going for late-game domination.

Aquatic is basically Subterranean for the early game - it won't benefit you as much later on, but gives you a good edge far more early, allowing you to expand and set up some powerhouse worlds before you would be able to otherwise.

Warlords makes your ships noticeably more powerful and reduces the economic costs of war considerably.

Cybernetic also makes your ship noticeably more powerful early on (later, when ships are blown up in a salvo, it doesn't matter as much anymore, but early on it's an incredible boost), and also helps your industry and science by freeing up huge amounts of would-be farmers.

Transdimensional makes your ships decidedly more powerful in combat (remember: The farther you can move, the higher your Beam Defense bonus!), and helps you with rushes. I don't think I could have won that "Win with no new techs"-challenge without Transdimensional.

Telepathic is incredible in spy and diplomacy builds, if that is what you are going for - highly viable and fun to play ways to play that are quite different from the standard.

All of the homeworld upgrades are awesome for early-game domination and rushes, and become especially powerful in small galaxies (though even in huge ones, having a Rich Homeworld may make you develop so much faster than you usually would that you still end up way ahead).

And then, there are the alternative government forms, of which Dictatorship is likely the worst, so you leaving them out is the part that completely boggles my mind. Feudalism allows you to expand like mad, and helps your war effort tremendously - once you have Super Computers and (later) Autolabs, the research malus stops to matter. Unification is necessary for the most powerful industry builds. Democracy for the most powerful science builds.