PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age, This time the title is correct.

DMBlackhart
2010-08-29, 05:20 PM
So hay, I just got ahold of the Dragon Age RPG by Greenronin. I am sure people heard about this just a little while ago when I had asked for some help finding the subsequent sets.

This isen't what this threads about. It's about homebrew. Seeing as greenronin has yet to start work on the next sets (To my knowledge), and how the presented material is, limited, I decided I am going to go on a "holy" homebrew "crusade" all over this document.

The key things im looking for advice for are

* How to incorporate the "grey wardens". Perhaps as a class? Or as a series of abilities? or is it best to leave it as simple flavor? Etc.

* "prestige classes". The name escapes me to what they were called in DA:O, but im looking towards the advanced classes such as templars, shapeshifters, blood mages, etc. I want to incorporate these as classes just like the ones presented, however I want them to be slightly more "restricted". That way players cannot achieve them early on, but can still be totally versatile, even when choosing the same one as another player.

Any and all advice is welcome though. As it stands so far, I have incorporate the Qunari as a playable race.

DMBlackhart
2010-08-30, 10:40 AM
So no one has any experiance with the setting?

Milo v3
2010-09-15, 02:18 AM
Make the grey wardens a guild (in DMG 2). Make three core classes (Mage, Warrior, Thief (I thinks its thief)) Then all the specializations Prestige classes.

Zaknir
2010-09-15, 05:09 AM
* How to incorporate the "grey wardens". Perhaps as a class? Or as a series of abilities? or is it best to leave it as simple flavor? Etc.

First thing to say is that, IMHO, if you want to represent the flavour of classes in DA:O you should go for a Talent system, like the one in d20 Modern or Star Wars Saga, with the three classes of the game (Warrior, Thief, Mage).
That said, the Grey Wardens could be a series of Talents that you can access only if you possess an appropriate feat (let's call it "Joining").

* "prestige classes". The name escapes me to what they were called in DA:O, but im looking towards the advanced classes such as templars, shapeshifters, blood mages, etc. I want to incorporate these as classes just like the ones presented, however I want them to be slightly more "restricted". That way players cannot achieve them early on, but can still be totally versatile, even when choosing the same one as another player.

Specilizations could be made as normal PRC or, like the Grey Wardens, feats that grant you access to a new Talent Chain.

Nero24200
2010-09-15, 06:20 AM
If you want to keep it true to the game, make being a Grey Warden only provide you with the ability to sense darkspawn and an extra "talent" once you complete the joining.

Lapak
2010-09-15, 09:58 AM
I agree generally that a Talent system is probably closer to reflecting DA then a standard d20 class system, but with regards to the Grey Wardens in particular: it looks exactly like a straight-up Acquired Template to me with no level adjustment. For every benefit, there's an associated penalty. For example: you sense darkspawn, they sense you. You gain access to organization/cultural benefits, you are required to lay your life on the line for that organization's goals. And so on.