PDA

View Full Version : Depicting a nihilist vampire's personality?

Hurlbut
2010-08-29, 08:18 PM
I am planning to use a Nosferatu, a vampire variant found in Pathfinder's Curse of the Crimson Throne #2 "Seven Days to the Grave". I wanted to make him memorable for my players and I decided on him having a nihilist persona.

How do I go about depicting his nihilism? I do not have a very good grasp of nihilism, especially in a fantasy setting with other sentient species.

Master_Rahl22
2010-08-29, 09:00 PM
I'd have him just be perpetually tired of everything. He believes that life, or in this case unlife, has no intrinsic value or purpose so everything is just banal and vain. He's just constantly drained from the dull meaningless trite little lives around him.

WinWin
2010-08-29, 09:14 PM
Dungeons and Discourse (http://dresdencodak.com/2006/12/03/dungeons-and-discourse/)

and

Advanced Dungeons and Discourse (http://dresdencodak.com/2009/01/27/advanced-dungeons-and-discourse/)

A nihilist vampire could be a twisted warrior poet. He justifies his evil by predating on those much weaker than himself. He likely believes that this is his right, due to the fact his Vampiric abilities make him much more powerful than those around him. He most likely considers himself an Ubermensh, or 'overman'. He probably seeks out those with 'untapped' potential and converts them into vampires as well. He could even seek to destroy society in order to remake it, in the belief this will make the new society stronger.

Plus he will act like a pretentious, emo, arts student.

Hope this helps.

MightyTim
2010-08-29, 09:23 PM
I'm rather confused why you're intent on roleplaying a philosophy without knowing much about the philosophy itself. For lack of a better example, it's like saying "I want my character to be a communist. Now can someone tell me what communism is?"

That being said, the fact that he's a vampire probably doesn't change how he would nihilism, but being undead might explain why he's got that outlook. In short, a nihilist probably shouldn't have allegiance to any deity (he might even be an atheist, or actively working against the gods). He'd come across as cold and callous, since nihilism rejects morality of any kind he probably wouldn't care for his underlings intrinsically either.

Making a true nihilist would probably lead to a boring and flat character, come to think of it.

Hurlbut
2010-08-29, 09:33 PM
I'm rather confused why you're intent on roleplaying a philosophy without knowing much about the philosophy itself. For lack of a better example, it's like saying "I want my character to be a communist. Now can someone tell me what communism is?"To be blunt, I did look up the philosophy, but as I said I don't have a *very good* grasp of what it mean for the person who use any form of nihilism. Only one example I could think of is Ulquiora Cifer (http://bleach.wikia.com/wiki/Ulquiorra_Cifer). I'm not sure about House since my friend said he's just plainly a bastard.

Thank you guys for your posts, please keep them coming. I am getting a better understanding of a vampire nihilist.:smallsmile:

bobspldbckwrds
2010-08-29, 10:42 PM
a lot of people overlook the freeing duality to nihilism.

he may have the mindset of "if nothing has any intrinsic value, the the only thing that maters are actions." which can lead to him being very emotional, hot-headed, or brash.

nihilists can also be suicidal, flirting with death on a daily basis, but knowing that suicide would be a sign of weakness. he could have windows on the sunny exposure in his throne chamber if he is taken to one of those, he could make his home in a church.

how many appearances are you planning on him making? it could be hard to get the philosophy across in one or two. he would have reasoning for everything that he did, from combat to eating. also, don't be surprised if your players find him annoying, because nihilists can be.

this is a philosophy that is hard to write or rp a character with, but can be very memorable if you do it correctly. good luck.