PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to run a game about The 4400, but...

UserClone
2010-08-29, 08:24 PM
I hope some of you remember what I felt was an awesome television show that never made it past its 4th season. The point at whichThe 4400 left off leaves a ton of roleplaying potential, but my problem is trying to come up with a system to portray it that is true to the show. Suggestions are welcome, and I haven't decided whether to make it a game starring the characters from the show, investigators from NTAC, or other 4400s.

I'm thinking about using a supers game for this, obviously, but i'd want one that's less focused on the powers and more focused on the emotional, social, and societal impacts having powers makes. Maybe using Capes, With Great Power, or Hearts and Souls? Anyone have any experience with those systems? Any suggestions of appropriate systems?

I'm also considering more generically-applicable systems. Dogs in the Vineyard might work, as might Wushu or even Risus. I don't know. What do you think, Playground?

W3bDragon
2010-08-29, 08:33 PM
It seems to me it would be pretty straightforward making this using the WoD rules for making mortals. Then throwing on appropriate disciplines for the 4400, modified when needed.

UserClone
2010-08-30, 12:02 AM
Hm. Tell me more about this WoD Mortals. I've never played any NWoD.

Xefas
2010-08-30, 01:36 AM
Primetime Adventures, maybe (http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16594&cat=0&page=1)?

It's as generic as a system can get, very light on the system, very heavy on the player input and cooperation. And it has a light TV Show theme (the DM is referred to as 'The Director', the player's power-up resource is called 'Fan-Mail', etc).

W3bDragon
2010-08-30, 05:36 AM
Hm. Tell me more about this WoD Mortals. I've never played any NWoD.

I'm referring to the rules in Vampire the Masquerade. In the book, there are rules to create normal humans (mortals) which is a pretty good setup for a RP-heavy, rules/combat light game, which seems to be what you're looking for.

Adding vampire disciplines to mortals to represent the abilities from the 4400 could be a good way to emulate their powers. You could perhaps represent all the out of control 4400 as mortals with very low Self Control score, thus keep popping out their abilities whether they want it or not.

FYI, I'm referring to OWoD, I haven't played NWoD either.

SethFahad
2010-08-30, 05:54 AM
I think any player with a spell-like ability or supernatural ability qualifies...
hmmm make the spell like ability "at will".

Sir Homeslice
2010-08-30, 06:02 AM
Wild Talents, maybe?

UserClone
2010-08-30, 06:43 AM
I'm referring to the rules in Vampire the Masquerade. In the book, there are rules to create normal humans (mortals) which is a pretty good setup for a RP-heavy, rules/combat light game, which seems to be what you're looking for.

Adding vampire disciplines to mortals to represent the abilities from the 4400 could be a good way to emulate their powers. You could perhaps represent all the out of control 4400 as mortals with very low Self Control score, thus keep popping out their abilities whether they want it or not.

FYI, I'm referring to OWoD, I haven't played NWoD either.

Ahhh. I'm vaguely aware that NWoD the base game is about mortals, so I thought that's what you meant. I only have W:tA and Demon: The Fallen.

I think any player with a spell-like ability or supernatural ability qualifies...
hmmm make the spell like ability "at will".
So...everyone's a Warlock? No really, though, what are you suggesting? An otherwise entirely mundane game of D20 Modern in which everybody gets one at-will spell-like or psi-like ability? ...maybe...

Wild Talents, maybe?
Wild what?

Primetime adventures, hm...I think my LFGS has a copy of that poking around somewhere. May have to take a closer look.

Sir Homeslice
2010-08-30, 03:56 PM
Wild what?

http://www.arcdream.com/wildtalents/home.php

It's a neat little system, and it comes with the problems of being point-buy which are fully acknowledged.

Sindri
2010-08-30, 09:14 PM
I'd recommend the Cortex system. Rules lite, characters are mostly normal people but can get superpowers, roleplaying mechanically encouraged.

UserClone
2010-08-30, 10:25 PM
Well, that system has the added bonus of being something I own in the form of the Serenity RPG. I've never actually played it, though...guess I'll have to read it a bit closer.

Ravens_cry
2010-08-30, 11:09 PM
Mutants and Masterminds, with restrictions on flashy powers?
It really depends on a) how willing you are to learn a new system and b) what you are familiar with already.

UserClone
2010-08-30, 11:58 PM
Well frankly, for this game, I'd prefer to avoid D20. Also, if I do use a supers game, it won't be one whose strength lies in describing the powers characters have. Rather, I'd want a game in which characters have powers, and the game (and hopefully the mechanics) revolve(s) around how they choose to use them and why.