PDA

View Full Version : The slender man...

Admiral Squish
2010-08-29, 08:47 PM
Oh, god. I watched the Marble Hornets videos about a month ago. I haven't slept fitfully since. I couldn't even get past video #19. Tonight, I discovered the Something Awful forums and started looking through the 'create paranormal images' thread to see his origins, hoping that would assuage the maddening paranoia that happens whenever I see a darkened room or a room with an open window. It did not work.

Does anyone have any suggestions to helping me shake this terror? Lately, I've been merely tiring myself out, only sleeping ever other day so that when I do sleep, I'm tired enough to actually fall asleep, rather than lie in bed for six hours.

Recaiden
2010-08-29, 08:54 PM
Oh, god. I watched the Marble Hornets videos about a month ago. I haven't slept fitfully since. I couldn't even get past video #19. Tonight, I discovered the Something Awful forums and started looking through the 'create paranormal images' thread to see his origins, hoping that would assuage the maddening paranoia that happens whenever I see a darkened room or a room with an open window. It did not work.

Does anyone have any suggestions to helping me shake this terror? Lately, I've been merely tiring myself out, only sleeping ever other day so that when I do sleep, I'm tired enough to actually fall asleep, rather than lie in bed for six hours.

I recommend reminding yourself that it's not real, and covering the windows in the room where you sleep. Perhaps purchase a nightlight if the dark in which he is hiding disturbs you.

Cobalt
2010-08-29, 08:58 PM
It wore off for me, eventually. Still scares the soul out of me, but time heals all wounds.

Not very quickly, mind. But still. It only took a year.

Try just doing as many other things completely unrelated to the Slender Man as possible, and mayhaps he will leave you in peices.

Or try reading/watching really bad imitations of Marble Hornets that are trying to play it straight but fail hilariously. If you go looking, you'll find them fast enough.

Really, the only reason I haven't been driven insane is because I have that masochistic urge to be frightened. But only during daylight.

Which is why I own curtains. And mirrors. And guns.

SurlySeraph
2010-08-29, 09:05 PM
Imagine Slenderman wearing pink shorts and a Hawaiian shirt. Then use MS paint to draw a Hawaiian shirt and pink shorts onto a picture of Slenderman.

TheLaughingMan
2010-08-29, 09:08 PM
Slendy only wants friends, you guys. He just goes about it wrong. :smalltongue:

RabbitHoleLost
2010-08-29, 09:10 PM
Slender Man still kind of keeps me up some nights.
Really, though, I'm a wimp. I love scary stories and scary movies, but I always end up terrified at night, wishing there was someone with me to keep all the scary things away :smalltongue:

Anyways, in the height of my fear, I wrote fiction about him. And then my best friend and I ended up putting him in our notebook comics, deciding all he really wanted was hugs...but all the other notebook characters rejected him.
Except ded mowse.
But ded mowse is dead anyways, so it doesn't matter.
Often times, ded mowse is dead BECAUSE of Slender Man.
"Everything I touch dies v.v"

And that is the long rambly story of how I started to sleep again at night.

The Antagonist
2010-08-29, 09:13 PM
Watched those vids with my boyfriend at some late hour in the evening... T'was an odd evening...

Paranoia is normal. Don't worry; the fear will probably go away soon. If he does exist, he won't be able to get you or anything.

...It still doesn't hurt to put up cameras and keep the lights on...

Cobalt
2010-08-29, 09:14 PM
And that is the long rambly story of how I started to sleep again at night.

I just stopped looking out the window. Then started reading ARG blogs where trolls jumped in with OOC comments at the height.

It peeves me.

Mauve Shirt
2010-08-29, 09:16 PM
I was completely underwhelmed by those videos. My sister says my inability to be scared by them indicates I have no soul.
Just sleep with the lights on.

Cealocanth
2010-08-29, 09:22 PM
One of the best ways to conquer fears is to experience them head on and violently. In this case, having someone jump out of the shadows dressed as the slender man when you least expect it should do the trick. Possibly say some lines from the movie.

Then again, this works on the same way that ripping band-aids off violently and quickly hurts less in the long run, or how sticking your hand into a pit of spitting cobras will cure your fear of snakes.

NeoRetribution
2010-08-29, 09:26 PM
Unfortunately, I have zero knowledge of what exactly it is that this thread is pointing to, but I use soft music when I need to sleep. Specifically, the music does not have spoken words and often incorporates natural sounds such as rain, ocean waves, wind, or bird song. The instruments are often piano, flute, or acoustic guitar. Also, some people sleep more soundly with a fan blowing air across their skin and I use that occasionally.

If all else fails, fill your eyes and mind with something else completely unrelated. Non-violent imagery such as a nature film might help, though I understand that most any film could perform this function as long as it was either comedic, or inspiring.

But your mind is your own. You can kick out what you wish to leave you.

Erts
2010-08-29, 09:27 PM
Cealocanth has a great solution. If I may add, punch "Slender Man" in the face. See what happens.
And the concept behind SurleySeraphs is good. Add comedy to your fears. Lessens them.

Also, try to get a more manageable fear. Watch a film which isn't quite as scary, but just as believable.

Now, this is definitely inappropriate, but also hilarious. Read the entire page, and the fanfic at the bottom. Cthulhu/Slender. Seriously. It's funny. See if it helps.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Slender_Man

golentan
2010-08-29, 09:53 PM
Do what I do: Remind yourself that slender man is far less scary than some real things out there. Absolute worst case he's class 4, and he's not a particularly nasty one at that. He's actually kind of entertaining. As much as he toys with his prey, he doesn't do anything really imaginative or horrific.

I'd much rather face him than some of the things that haunt my nightmares, and unlike them he's conveniently fictional rather than stalking real people.

Serpentine
2010-08-29, 10:00 PM
I haven't slept fitfully since.So you've been sleeping soundly, eh? Good for you.

TheLaughingMan
2010-08-29, 10:11 PM
...It still doesn't hurt to put up cameras and keep the lights on...

But what if the house gets bigger? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HouseOfLeaves)

Erts
2010-08-29, 10:12 PM
Do what I do: Remind yourself that slender man is far less scary than some real things out there. Absolute worst case he's class 4, and he's not a particularly nasty one at that.

Good strategy, but I have to ask, what is this tier system?

To reiterate:

Tricksy Hobbits
2010-08-29, 10:13 PM
Watch up to the end of the videos, 26 is a bit less creepy than 19 (that's the one with totheark creeping on J, right?)

But DON'T watch any of the videos on totheark's channel, freaking creepy those are.

And it gets less scary if you look at all the little tricks they use to make the videos that frightening.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2010-08-29, 10:19 PM
My prescription is cartoons. This beast or whatever it is you fellows seem to be so terrified of inhabits nought but darkest shadow, does it not? Well then the best medicine must be something rather more light-hearted, wot? Fill your head with nineties' versions of the Man of Steel perhaps, or 80's tomfoolery.

Fill yourself with the prgrams of your youth, dear boy. And let the creature that so haunts your spirit taunt nevermore.

*twirls mustache*

*exit, stage left*

Tricksy Hobbits
2010-08-29, 10:20 PM
^ Nope, then he'll just stand behind you and you'll be oo busy watching tv to notice him.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-08-29, 10:22 PM
I've always thought that the creepiest creepers are the ones that just stand off to the side, doing nothing. If you wake up, and there's a figure standing in the corner of your room, not even facing you, and it doesn't even acknowledge you're there, that's creepy.

golentan
2010-08-29, 10:35 PM
Good strategy, but I have to ask, what is this tier system?

To reiterate:

Lower numbers = worser [sic], goes 1-12 (0 is something that has already ended the universe, which as far as I know hasn't happened so 0 is a theoretical goal for 1s), 7-12 can be solved by the judicious use of firearms with varying degrees of ease, 4-6 can be killed with proper use of certain techniques (and firearms frequently help, but aren't usually much good on their own), 3 and higher have to be dealt with on a case by case basis. Slender man is definitely 4-6, almost certainly 5, possibly 4 in absolute worst case. Not beyond the realm of possibility for a prepared and cautious mortal to injure or kill, as long as you're careful to keep your head and not play into his traps.

It would be a fun hunt, since part of it would be determining who was hunting who at any given moment... :smallbiggrin:

Tricksy Hobbits
2010-08-29, 10:38 PM
I don't think Slendy would be more than 3, he can mess around with people's memory and spatial relationships, and some of his Xanatos Roulettes make him borderline clairvoyant.

And I agree Gwyn, after the initial adrenaline surge, totheark's silent watching was way more scary than his first appearance.

averagejoe
2010-08-29, 10:38 PM
I've always thought that the creepiest creepers are the ones that just stand off to the side, doing nothing. If you wake up, and there's a figure standing in the corner of your room, not even facing you, and it doesn't even acknowledge you're there, that's creepy.

I always thought the creepiest ones are the ones who stare at you through windows. It's an odd fear, but stuff through windows tends to top my lists.

I tend to surround myself with sentimental objects. I'm able to convince myself that these things (usually some gift that a friend gave me, one which was particularly meaningful) have a sort of positive influence that can deal with such creatures. Failing that, I just watch this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Ky5R-vxns&ob=av3e) and thereafter have faith that Christopher Walken will protect me.

Drakevarg
2010-08-29, 10:41 PM
Lower numbers = worser [sic], goes 1-12 (0 is something that has already ended the universe, which as far as I know hasn't happened so 0 is a theoretical goal for 1s), 7-12 can be solved by the judicious use of firearms with varying degrees of ease, 4-6 can be killed with proper use of certain techniques (and firearms frequently help, but aren't usually much good on their own), 3 and higher have to be dealt with on a case by case basis. Slender man is definitely 4-6, almost certainly 5, possibly 4 in absolute worst case. Not beyond the realm of possibility for a prepared and cautious mortal to injure or kill, as long as you're careful to keep your head and not play into his traps.

It would be a fun hunt, since part of it would be determining who was hunting who at any given moment... :smallbiggrin:

Clearly Slender Man is a different entity in your head. To me at least, Slender Man is a giant ball of crazy that you can't effect, let alone defeat. There are no happy endings with Slender Man, just a slow decline into insanity.

I don't think Slendy would be more than 3, he can mess around with people's memory and spatial relationships, and some of his Xanatos Roulettes make him borderline clairvoyant.

Slendy makes plans? :smallconfused: I thought he just dicked with people's perception of reality because he could.

Jacklu
2010-08-29, 11:01 PM
Ooh... those were good. =3 The Marble Hornets vids, that is. My way of dealing with scary crap that gets in my head is with my muse. I like to write and, more precisely, narrate scenes. So I just wrote up a bunch of fanfic in which I, the protagonist, confronted [scary fictional thing here] and whooped its butt in a variety of ways. Stuff like this is all in your head, so the best way to deal with it is to train your mind to not be afraid of fictional threats.

golentan
2010-08-29, 11:16 PM
If slender man was a 3, he'd be far more dangerous. It wouldn't be possible to exist within quite a large radius: instant death to all things. Even benevolent threes just warp reality too much for things based on normal physical laws to function. He's at the low end of 4 if he's that high at all.

And nothing is unkillable. It's just that some things are very, very hard to kill. A properly trained human being, kitted out and prepared, has about a 2-4% chance of injuring or killing a level 5 before dying. Not good, I'll grant you, and that assumes a level of preparedness not found in any group I know of. But it's a shot.

Just remember your fairy legends. They're there for a reason. Cold iron (by which I actually mean things capable of carrying a magnetic charge) hurts them. Usually. They always play by certain rules: learn them and you buy yourself time if nothing else. Give it nothing, and take nothing of its, or it can influence you. Mantras are helpful for making decisions within its sphere of influence. Confront it directly when you have a chance no matter how scared you are: running is a sign of weakness, like with most predators. It's all a game to such creatures. Keep it from having fun, and put it on the defensive, and if nothing else you may be able to make it seek other prey.

Or you may just piss it off or convince it you're exciting enough to up the ante, but at least it's a shot.

Drakevarg
2010-08-29, 11:18 PM
And nothing is unkillable.

Come back and tell me that after you've successfully murdered the color blue.

averagejoe
2010-08-29, 11:22 PM
Come back and tell me that after you've successfully murdered the color blue.

Not too hard. You just have to change a few physical constants.

Of course, there will almost certainly be some *ahem* collateral damage.

Drakevarg
2010-08-29, 11:24 PM
Not too hard. You just have to change a few physical constants.

Of course, there will almost certainly be some *ahem* collateral damage.

Care to elaborate?

Callos_DeTerran
2010-08-29, 11:36 PM
If slender man was a 3, he'd be far more dangerous. It wouldn't be possible to exist within quite a large radius: instant death to all things. Even benevolent threes just warp reality too much for things based on normal physical laws to function. He's at the low end of 4 if he's that high at all.

And nothing is unkillable. It's just that some things are very, very hard to kill. A properly trained human being, kitted out and prepared, has about a 2-4% chance of injuring or killing a level 5 before dying. Not good, I'll grant you, and that assumes a level of preparedness not found in any group I know of. But it's a shot.

Just remember your fairy legends. They're there for a reason. Cold iron (by which I actually mean things capable of carrying a magnetic charge) hurts them. Usually. They always play by certain rules: learn them and you buy yourself time if nothing else. Give it nothing, and take nothing of its, or it can influence you. Mantras are helpful for making decisions within its sphere of influence. Confront it directly when you have a chance no matter how scared you are: running is a sign of weakness, like with most predators. It's all a game to such creatures. Keep it from having fun, and put it on the defensive, and if nothing else you may be able to make it seek other prey.

Or you may just piss it off or convince it you're exciting enough to up the ante, but at least it's a shot.

O.o I have no idea where you come up with this stuff, but it should be in a monster hunting book or something. :smalltongue: As for Slendy's 'weaknesses'...Too my knowledge none are ever shown. He's just always there. Watching. Or not. But he's there...crap. x.x I was just reminded I live by a bunch of tall as hell trees and all the weird noises that come from it at night.

:smallannoyed: Thanks Squish.

Savannah
2010-08-29, 11:37 PM
Heh, I watched those late at night (as in started at 2 am) with my windows open....yes, I did stare out the windows and wonder what the heck I was thinking between videos :smalltongue:

My trick for sleeping afterwards? Take a deep breath and repeat after me: "It was just a movie. The best horror movie I've seen, but just a movie. It's not real. Brilliant use of the media, but just a movie and not real. Not. Real." Then go and do whatever you usually do when you go to bed. Personally, I like to listen to music while I'm falling asleep, which is nice because it drowns out those normal noises that sound creepy when you are thinking about creepy things.

Tricksy Hobbits
2010-08-29, 11:38 PM
Slendy makes plans? :smallconfused: I thought he just dicked with people's perception of reality because he could.

YMMV, but it feels to me like he lured Jay to him, and totheark's message of "we have been watching you, from the start this has a game to us" carried that vibe for me.

That and how he just silently watches in most things, he's plotting something.

Moff Chumley
2010-08-29, 11:44 PM
I quite liked Marble Hornets... *shrug*

golentan
2010-08-29, 11:54 PM
I stand by my claim, as that merely requires reaching the temperatures of the Planck epoch at which point light wouldn't exist.

Or give it time: eventually the expansion of the universe should red shift blue out of existence.

Even without, as AverageJoe suggested, adjusting some constants.

Callos: I'm assumin' it acts as it has been observed to act, and that it's consistent with the menaces I'm familiar with. It lures people into investigating it, before killing them in a manner as of yet unclear. While it does roam, it has favored locations. Treat it as a spider for behavior, and then scale up the threat to human-like or greater intellect and a smattering of transcendent power, and plan accordingly. I.E. don't let it lure you into its place of greatest strength, don't let it jump you from behind while running, meet it head on with overwhelming force in an unexpected way before it can get its poison into you or plan to accommodate the unexpected behavior from an apparent prey animal and hope for the best.

As for weaknesses, it's consistent with legends of the Fae, and it has an influence on electronics, so assume it has an electromagnetic nature and arm accordingly to interfere with that. Violently. Plus, IME you never go wrong with magnetized buckshot or slugs (fired from a non magnetic barrel, of course), or even just a knife. It loses you nothing if it doesn't work, and it has bonus deleterious effects on so many things it's well worth the time investment.

averagejoe
2010-08-30, 12:01 AM
Care to elaborate?

Just off the top of my head, you could increase the speed of light until any photons of wavelength, say, 550 or below would have to oscillate so fast that the photon itself would have to travel faster than the speed of light to create blue. This would also wipe out all e-m waves of a lower wavelength, so purple is out. A good chunk of green too, if you want to make sure all blue is eradicated. This would also, most likely, have the side effect of making life in the universe impossible. Among other things.

You could also increase the gravitational constant until the Planck length increased to 500 nm, and then there would be no spacial distance to accommodate blue. This would probably have a lot of unforeseen, and quite harmful, side effects.

Disclaimer: The above posts represent a grave misunderstanding about how science, the universe, and the English language work, as well as a misunderstanding about the entire concept of physical constants. The above claims are scientifically dubious at best and should not be believed by anyone.

I stand by my claim, as that merely requires reaching the temperatures of the Planck epoch at which point light wouldn't exist.

Or give it time: eventually the expansion of the universe should red shift blue out of existence.

Even without, as AverageJoe suggested, adjusting some constants.

But if you adjusted some constants then the red shift would happen even harder!

Erts
2010-08-30, 12:02 AM
I think someone should make a fan video of how to deal with the slender man.

It would go like:

]Billy: "Okay, I know, Internet, -- (slenderman is in window frame, very creepily staring) that you have been very scared by the slender man videos. But I have a simple solut- hold on a sec

IMMA FIRING MY LAZORRRR BLAAAAAH"

(Or, to be more serious, pulls out a gun and shoots him. There. Done deal.)

Seriously though, read something scarier. That may sound weird, but it can help, especially if it is easier to forget. (Pet Semetary. Or the Shining. Yes, I'm a Stephen King fan.)

Drakevarg
2010-08-30, 12:10 AM
Very well. Now explain how to kill the number 3.

Admiral Squish
2010-08-30, 12:12 AM
There are reports specifically dealing with the use of weapons. 'bullets don't seem to affect it'. This is dealing with a fully armed patrol of WWII special operations soldiers.

Also, It's method is not unknown. It dissects you, neatly places your organs in plastic-like bags, then places them back inside your body in the same general arrangement.

It doesn't seem to really 'lure' anyone. Reports tell of it entering homes, cars, and other 'secure' places. There's no mention of it 'luring' at all. If anything, it's more a stalker than an ambusher.

As for magnetics, it does seem to interfere with audio and video, but there's no mention if it being a fey. It's exact nature is mysterious, but I will admit there are a number of paralells to fey-like behavior.

Anyways, it's starting to look like I'm not sleeping tonight.

Drakevarg
2010-08-30, 12:15 AM
Also, It's method is not unknown. It dissects you, neatly places your organs in plastic-like bags, then places them back inside your body in the same general arrangement.

Except when it doesn't. Der GroBman (dunno how to make an esset) tends to do that, but the MarbleHornets incarnation of Slendy just seems to reduce people into paranoid wrecks.

druid91
2010-08-30, 12:16 AM
golentan, you should write a guide to dealing with the various supernatural things that treat people like playthings.

KBF
2010-08-30, 12:18 AM
The idea of Slender Man is that there's no reason to be prepared for him. Sure, Marble Hornets propogated that he likes to stalk one person over a length of time, and that can be frightening, but the idea is that he just stands there. Staring. You'll see him in a park, by (or in the middle of) the road at night, outside your window.. And then people, children, or you, go missing soon after.

If you don't pay attention, you won't even notice he's there.

If you do, you might disappear.

Drakevarg
2010-08-30, 12:22 AM
I've always thought of him as the anthropomorphic personification of paranoia.

(Off topic, what did your sig use to be that was so migraine-inducing?)

Savannah
2010-08-30, 12:26 AM
There are reports specifically dealing with the use of weapons. 'bullets don't seem to affect it'. This is dealing with a fully armed patrol of WWII special operations soldiers.

It doesn't seem to really 'lure' anyone. Reports tell of it entering homes, cars, and other 'secure' places. There's no mention of it 'luring' at all. If anything, it's more a stalker than an ambusher.

As for magnetics, it does seem to interfere with audio and video, but there's no mention if it being a fey. It's exact nature is mysterious, but I will admit there are a number of paralells to fey-like behavior.

Anyways, it's starting to look like I'm not sleeping tonight.

Yeah, but he's also NOT REAL. Although, if you'd point me to where you got that information, I'd be grateful. a) I feel the need to scare myself tonight and b) I've been thinking about using him in a D&D game :smallbiggrin:

Admiral Squish
2010-08-30, 12:31 AM
Yeah, but he's also NOT REAL. Although, if you'd point me to where you got that information, I'd be grateful. a) I feel the need to scare myself tonight and b) I've been thinking about using him in a D&D game :smallbiggrin:

Read at your own risk. Slendy begins on page 3 or 4. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150591&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Callos_DeTerran
2010-08-30, 12:34 AM

Sometimes the argument of 'NOT REAL' accomplishes very little, compared to the power of paranoia, over-active imaginations, and the willingness to believe that maybe, just maybe, the guy who 'created' him was trying to tell the truth hidden behind a joking front so as to prevent bringing undue attention to himself. :smallwink:

Also. Premade monster. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7707638&postcount=11)

Skeppio
2010-08-30, 12:37 AM
You know you're made the big time when there's a homebrew D&D monster of you. :smallbiggrin:

averagejoe
2010-08-30, 12:55 AM
Very well. Now explain how to kill the number 3.

Tricky. Possibly you could kill everything with sentience exceeding, say, that of a bacterium, but at best that solution is philosophically messy. Hmmm...

The idea of Slender Man is that there's no reason to be prepared for him. Sure, Marble Hornets propogated that he likes to stalk one person over a length of time, and that can be frightening, but the idea is that he just stands there. Staring. You'll see him in a park, by (or in the middle of) the road at night, outside your window.. And then people, children, or you, go missing soon after.

If you don't pay attention, you won't even notice he's there.

If you do, you might disappear.

And, here's the clever part, he blends well and still you try to look for him. It's like some demented Where's Waldo.

Drakevarg
2010-08-30, 12:59 AM
Tricky. Possibly you could kill everything with sentience exceeding, say, that of a bacterium, but at best that solution is philosophically messy. Hmmm...

The lack of entities able to understand the concept of the number 3 does not cause the number 3 to cease existing.

averagejoe
2010-08-30, 01:01 AM
The lack of entities able to understand the concept of the number 3 does not cause the number 3 to cease existing.

That's what I meant by, "Philosophically messy." :smallwink:

Drakevarg
2010-08-30, 01:04 AM
Though it must be REALLY difficult for you to call it tricky. Since evidently for you to "fundamentally alter the nature of the universe" qualifies as "not to hard." :smalltongue:

Savannah
2010-08-30, 01:19 AM
Read at your own risk. Slendy begins on page 3 or 4. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150591&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Thanks. My players will hate you (well, they'll hate me, 'cause I'm not about to tell them where I got it from). ...I'm going to go close my window now, okay?

Sometimes the argument of 'NOT REAL' accomplishes very little, compared to the power of paranoia, over-active imaginations, and the willingness to believe that maybe, just maybe, the guy who 'created' him was trying to tell the truth hidden behind a joking front so as to prevent bringing undue attention to himself. :smallwink:

*shrug* It works for me. Take a step back, remind yourself that it's not real, and admire the insane genius who can make you think it's real. Also, thanks for the link :smallbiggrin:

It's like some demented Where's Waldo.

Now I'm picturing the Slender Man in Waldo's red and white striped hat....not sure if that's more or less scary.

Erts
2010-08-30, 01:36 AM
Though it must be REALLY difficult for you to call it tricky. Since evidently for you to "fundamentally alter the nature of the universe" qualifies as "not to hard." :smalltongue:

This is irrelevant, the slender man isn't something as fundemental as the number 3... (Or is he... Nah, he's not.)

Drakevarg
2010-08-30, 01:41 AM
This is irrelevant, the slender man isn't something as fundemental as the number 3... (Or is he... Nah, he's not.)

The point I'm trying to make is that you can't kill abstract concepts.

No, not even disco.

Worira
2010-08-30, 01:46 AM
Oh, really?

Try counting out quilbsen of something some time.

Drakevarg
2010-08-30, 01:53 AM
Oh, really?

Try counting out quilbsen of something some time.

Just because I don't know what that is doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-08-30, 02:34 AM
*shrug* It works for me. Take a step back, remind yourself that it's not real, and admire the insane genius who can make you think it's real. Also, thanks for the link :smallbiggrin:

That's just it though, every urban legend, superstition, etc has it's origins somewhere. People are more prone to believe older superstitions (throwing salt over one's shoulder after spilling it) and so on because it's an established 'fact' to them. Not in the literal meaning of fact, just in they heard it for as long as they can remember and, for the most part, there's no cause to disbelieve it. Call it a peculiar version of the placebo effect. Does throwing the salt over your shoulder really negate bad luck for spilling it? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe you just subconsciously begin to look for the silver lining in things once you've done it or have a feeling of ease at satisfying a comforting ritual. Doesn't matter, your belief makes it seem real. :smallwink:

The only difference in THIS case, is that the urban legend's (and honestly, the Slender Man is one at this point) origin can be clearly traced and remembered by the current generation. Does this mitigate belief in it? Sure, but not completely, especially considering the veritable given fact of the mythos (now anyway) of 'Slender Man is real because you think of him. Now try not to think about him'. I literally just did a double take on my dining room window, because I thought I saw something out there. Turns out, was the reflection of light on the glass (or I'm about to be horribly murdered). But belief mixed with the above phrase and a creative mind make the 'Slender Man' a very real fear to people, even if he's not actually real. And really, that's all he needs to be, is a persistent fear. Because eventually, his origins will be forgotten, the sites labeled as 'fiction' will be forgotten, and all that's left will be wonderfully creative 'real' blogs and documentaries for people to read about creepy and terrifying no-faced man in a suit (an image that's AMAZINGLY easy to picture for most people) and then you'll have people spouting methods to get the Slender Man off your trail, little rituals to keep yourself safe, or even parents joking about this subject with one another while a child listens and takes it as fact, even when their parent tells them it's not. Because deep down, despite what logic and science tells us, people will always believe in the bogeyman and monsters. They want a justification for their fear of the dark or unnatural noises, and the Slender Man (and many other urban legends) provides a justification for that. At that point, real or not, the Slender Man becomes real if never actually present. Because really...after watching/reading some of the surprisingly well done fiction for the Slender Man mythos, will you be able to look at a tall guy in a business suit at night or on a fog-shrouded day the same way again?

Sorry. It's early in the morning and I find this subject a bit entertaining to discuss and think about. :smallredface:

Also, your welcome.:smallsmile:

Savannah
2010-08-30, 02:51 AM
I agree completely. (And despite my knowing he's not real, I did shut my window before I read more of that thread...)

After some more consideration, I've come to the conclusion that I won't be putting the Slender Man in D&D. No, he's going in a Call of Cthulhu game, preferably with the Delta Green setting....mmm, sanity loss....

Admiral Squish
2010-08-30, 03:38 AM
I agree completely. (And despite my knowing he's not real, I did shut my window before I read more of that thread...)

After some more consideration, I've come to the conclusion that I won't be putting the Slender Man in D&D. No, he's going in a Call of Cthulhu game, preferably with the Delta Green setting....mmm, sanity loss....

My bro wants to put him into a changeling game.

Lillith
2010-08-30, 03:42 AM
Is it me or does the Slender Man look like this butler guy? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWlUu54muOs)

Drakevarg
2010-08-30, 03:45 AM
Is it me or does the Slender Man look like this butler guy? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWlUu54muOs)

Not really.

Though they are both quite terrifying.

Admiral Squish
2010-08-30, 03:54 AM

That actually helped, parodies seem to be helping.

Not really.

Though they are both quite terrifying.

In very different ways.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-08-30, 04:46 AM
There is a rather simple solution to this problem of the Slender Man.

Give him his $20.

I know one may be tightfisted, and I appreciate that outside of America many people such as myself do not posess even a single dollar, but that's what banks are for. Face up to your debts and give Slendy what he is owed, and he'll leave.

Alternatively, continue to be hunted down by the most ruthless loanshark alive.

Lord Loss
2010-08-30, 05:15 AM

My thougts precisely. Looks like Still Waters is getting bumped back a day so that I can run The Slender man. But that means I'll need to watch those videos... shudder.

Mx.Silver
2010-08-30, 05:17 AM
I find it slightly disheartening that a three page thread has sprung-up about how to deal with crippling paranoia that an obviously fictitious character is stalking you. I mean good lord, it's not as if the 'malevolent stalker' archetype is a new one nor does Slender Man appear to be an exceptional example of it to begin with.

Skeppio
2010-08-30, 06:46 AM
The imagination is a powerful tool indeed, methinks.

aberratio ictus
2010-08-30, 06:54 AM
That actually helped, parodies seem to be helping.

If parodies help, put in "Alex yelling at slender man" or something like that. The videos (there are more of them, sadly I couldn't find the best one when I looked earlier) contains footage from the original, but the sound has been altered. A friend of mine was similarily scared of the slender man after I showed her marble hornets, but when I showed her this video, she laughed so hard the fear was quickly forgotten.

Video 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmZ90VijO_0)

It contains harsh language, but if you're fine with that, it's quite funny.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-08-30, 10:34 AM
I think the Slender Man requires something specific (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUN_7Iopmak) in order to disappear from your life.

Admiral Squish
2010-08-30, 12:49 PM
Alas, I lack $20...

Worira
2010-08-30, 01:01 PM
In that case, just make sure you refrain from wifin' in the club.

Deth Muncher
2010-08-30, 01:06 PM
Okay, so opinion - is Marble Hornets REALLY as scary as everyone says it is, or is it as overhyped as the last Batman movie?

Admiral Squish
2010-08-30, 01:17 PM
Okay, so opinion - is Marble Hornets REALLY as scary as everyone says it is, or is it as overhyped as the last Batman movie?

I may not be the best judge, but I think that having not slept right in a month would be a good enough answer to that.

Savannah
2010-08-30, 01:24 PM
...you're asking that in this thread? (Have you watched the movies? I can't really tell from your question.)

In my opinion, it was definitely scary, but I wasn't as affected as Admiral Squish. Then again, I've got the highest tolerance for horror of all my friends, so I think it depends on the viewer. If you allow yourself to be scared...yeah, it's pretty scary.

I think, as Callos_DeTerran was saying, that the Slender Man stuff has been carefully done to play into the fears that humans have of monsters and being watched.

Deth Muncher
2010-08-30, 01:29 PM
...you're asking that in this thread? (Have you watched the movies? I can't really tell from your question.)

In my opinion, it was definitely scary, but I wasn't as affected as Admiral Squish. Then again, I've got the highest tolerance for horror of all my friends, so I think it depends on the viewer. If you allow yourself to be scared...yeah, it's pretty scary.

I think, as Callos_DeTerran was saying, that the Slender Man stuff has been carefully done to play into the fears that humans have of monsters and being watched.
Oh yeah, I was legitimately asking. I just wanted to be sure before I started watching it that it wasn't gonna waste my time.

I may not be the best judge, but I think that having not slept right in a month would be a good enough answer to that.

Well then. I take this as a challenge.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-08-30, 01:30 PM

This. x.x I'm a rather paranoid person and Slender Man hits every single paranoid fear I have except for him stealing my identity via computer abuse...mostly because I'm unsure if he uses a computer. Also, at 3:30 AM in the morning (around the time of my last post in this thread) I went up to use the restroom, started to go back down, when I hear my step-sister's friend call out in her sleep.

"Tall! Everyone's tall!" :smallannoyed: So yeah, perfect example of paranoia doing it's terrible work.

Allan Surgite
2010-08-30, 01:32 PM
Personally, I think MH is one of the better Slender-things, but I have a soft spot for some of the other ones; stuff like EverymanHYBRID and TribeTwelve isn't bad, and I observe several of the blogs as well (e.g. Just Another Fool, A Lack of Lexicon).

Any other fans of the non-Marble Hornets Slender Man stuff?

averagejoe
2010-08-30, 01:55 PM

I can't answer that, but I will say that it's the only video, including films and such, that I've ever actually found scary. But I think there are some very specific things that trigger that response in me, and so it might not hold for someone else.

Savannah
2010-08-30, 02:05 PM
Oh yeah, I was legitimately asking. I just wanted to be sure before I started watching it that it wasn't gonna waste my time.

Personally, I think it's the best horror movie I've ever seen. Make sure you watch totheark's video replies at the appropriate times, however. I didn't know about them, and watching them afterwards just wasn't as good...:smallsigh:

Perenelle
2010-08-30, 03:57 PM
I was incredibly paranoid for a very long time after watching those videos.. I had issues sleeping and when I did sleep, the light was always on. I'm kind of wimpy when it comes to stuff like this though, so normally I don't even watch it in the first place. But curiosity got the better of me this time. :smallsigh:

I'm still paranoid about it occasionally but I pretty much just had to wait it out to get over it. Eventually I stopped freaking out whenever it was dark and I heard noises. Drawing colorful, overly happy pictures of the Slender Man with rainbows and sunshine is mildly amusing and helps a little, from my experience.

Good luck to you. *huggles*

chiasaur11
2010-08-30, 04:19 PM
Care to elaborate?

The creation of RICHARRRDDDDSSSSS!

The accursed color.

Also, it's good to remember that abstract concepts can, and have been, killed before. All it takes is a creative enough mind and a large supply of teeth.

Or, baring those tools, a scythe sharpened by pure rage.

Drakevarg
2010-08-30, 04:24 PM
Also, it's good to remember that abstract concepts can, and have been, killed before. All it takes is a creative enough mind and a large supply of teeth.

Or, baring those tools, a scythe sharpened by pure rage.

Crazed rambling aside, how?

Entities with arbitrary weakness that they have no reason for having, or killing something through sheer heroic willpower are not valid examples, as they are stupid.

KuReshtin
2010-08-30, 04:31 PM

Entities with arbitrary weakness that they have no reason for having, or killing something through sheer heroic willpower are not valid examples, as they are stupid.

There's always the 'power of the plot'.

Drakevarg
2010-08-30, 04:36 PM
There's always the 'power of the plot'.

I intended to imply that with "arbitrary weakness that they have no reason for having."

For example, the Fates in God of War. Forcefield-generating laserbeams blocked by anything reflective, and able to be trapped in mirrors of their own creation. By cracking them.

Of course, if this wasn't the case, Kratos would lose. Badly. And we can't have that.

Concrete
2010-08-30, 04:37 PM
I have two suggestions.

1: Dull your mind with really stupid movies.
(The Room, or Jason X should suffice)

2:Rule 34. You can never fear something after you have seen it get sodomized by a furry. :D Helped get over my fear of that bitch from the ring and Pyramid-Head.
Now to cure my fear of furries...

And, even te real stuff can't get to you if you live in a reasonably modern house. With all that iron and copper in the walls, I'm surprised that people claim to be haounted at all.
While you're walking the dog at two in the morning and and all the streetlights go out on the other....

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-08-30, 05:12 PM
The Room

Always recommended. :smallcool:

Erts
2010-08-30, 05:14 PM
2:Rule 34. You can never fear something after you have seen it get sodomized by a furry. :D Helped get over my fear of that bitch from the ring and Pyramid-Head.
Now to cure my fear of furries...

Why not Cthulhu? (http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Slender_Man#The_Pasta)

Thufir
2010-08-30, 05:17 PM

It's pretty scary. That said, in the last Slender Man thread, CurlyKitGirl posted a contribution to the idea she'd written herself. I found it scarier than Marble Hornets (Possibly it felt more real because I know Curly, possibly other reasons. It was well written in any case).

averagejoe
2010-08-30, 05:18 PM

He's referencing Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather.

And, I'm sorry, but sheer heroic willpower is how I do most things. :smalltongue:

Concrete
2010-08-30, 05:21 PM
Why not Cthulhu? (http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Slender_Man#The_Pasta)

Because Cthulhu is far to big a thing to fear.
It's like nuclear war. When something is so big that you cannot comprehend surviving it, it's no longer terrifying, only scary.
Also, furries and their shadowy counterpart, Anonymous, cannot do worse by Dread Lord Cthulhu than his fans have allready done (http://www.goominet.com/unspeakable-vault/vault/1/)...

Thufir
2010-08-30, 05:21 PM
He's referencing Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather.

And, I'm sorry, but sheer heroic willpower is how I do most things. :smalltongue:

1. It's Hogfather. No 'The'.
2. The 'scythe sharpened by pure rage' was a reference to Reaper Man.

Drakevarg
2010-08-30, 05:24 PM

I thought you did things by force of cunning hat. :smalltongue:

Also, furries and their shadowy counterpart, Anonymous...

Please do not associate me with that pack of churls. :smallannoyed:

CurlyKitGirl
2010-08-30, 05:25 PM
It's pretty scary. That said, in the last Slender Man thread, CurlyKitGirl posted a contribution to the idea she'd written herself. I found it scarier than Marble Hornets (Possibly it felt more real because I know Curly, possibly other reasons. It was well written in any case).

:smallbiggrin:
Thanks!

I'm tempted now to go and ressurect that now, but this is a thread about removing paranoia, not increasing it.
Several people didn't appreciate my little story at all . . . which is why I stored it safe away in my Nightmare File for the terrifying of children, friends and for potential publishing.

Concrete
2010-08-30, 05:34 PM
Please do not associate me with that pack of churls. :smallannoyed:

My most sincere apologies. I had no idea that I was, and I will not do so in the future. Please accept these gifts of reconciliation:
For Accidentally associating you with a creature lower than a cockroach (http://www.cracked.com/article_18686_the-7-most-horrifying-museums-earth.html)
Just for the hell of it. (http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/)

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-08-30, 05:34 PM
:smallbiggrin:
Thanks!

I'm tempted now to go and ressurect that now, but this is a thread about removing paranoia, not increasing it.
Several people didn't appreciate my little story at all . . . which is why I stored it safe away in my Nightmare File for the terrifying of children, friends and for potential publishing.

Too much wifin' in the club? :smallamused:

I seem to remember someone in the last Marble Hornets thread posting about the anthropological reasons why men are more likely to be scared of Marble Hornets, because of the techniques that they used (I imagine because the producers are men) such as paranoia about someone being at the window. I'd be lying if I said that I'd never felt paranoid about windows at night, so thought it had some credence - something to do with men being evolutionarily conditioned to being attacked from the side, whereas women expect to be attacked from below?

KuReshtin
2010-08-30, 05:35 PM

Agreed. I thought it was excellent.

Drakevarg
2010-08-30, 05:38 PM

You're gonna milk that meme for all it's worth, aren't you?

My most sincere apologies.

Accepted.

I had no idea that I was, and I will not do so in the future.

*Points at avatar*

Please accept these gifts of reconciliation:
For Accidentally associating you with a creature lower than a cockroach (http://www.cracked.com/article_18686_the-7-most-horrifying-museums-earth.html)
Just for the hell of it. (http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/)

Seen the CRACKED article already, but the cave thing looks neat.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-08-30, 05:52 PM
You're gonna milk that meme for all it's worth, aren't you?

I'll stop now. For a while.
:smalltongue:

Kiren
2010-08-30, 06:11 PM
Right, I just watched the entire thing, I am highly resistant to horror, and am not outright scared. I am however highly paranoid, and the fear may hit me later.

Edit: It was indeed scary however.

averagejoe
2010-08-30, 06:22 PM

I seem to remember someone in the last Marble Hornets thread posting about the anthropological reasons why men are more likely to be scared of Marble Hornets, because of the techniques that they used (I imagine because the producers are men) such as paranoia about someone being at the window. I'd be lying if I said that I'd never felt paranoid about windows at night, so thought it had some credence - something to do with men being evolutionarily conditioned to being attacked from the side, whereas women expect to be attacked from below?

I believe it was Serpentine who said something. She mentioned that there had been studies done and, nearly universally across cultures, men tend to be scared of what's out the window and women tend to be scared of what's beneath them. That is, if I remember correctly.

Savannah
2010-08-30, 07:06 PM
Fascinating. I can't remember ever being scared of something beneath me...behind me, yes, but beneath? Not so much.

Still, I think I'll remember that...

Kiren
2010-08-30, 07:50 PM
Right, I just watched the entire thing, I am highly resistant to horror, and am not outright scared. I am however highly paranoid, and the fear may hit me later.

Edit: It was indeed scary however.

The paranoia of the slender man appearing had hit, after watching a few parodies and pictures, it has subsided for the moment.

Maximum Zersk
2010-08-30, 07:52 PM
2. The 'scythe sharpened by pure rage' was a reference to Reaper Man.

I thought he sharpened it with sunlight.

Admiral Squish
2010-08-30, 08:10 PM
Night has fallen, and paranoia is setting in.

RandomNPC
2010-08-30, 08:56 PM
I thought he sharpened it with sunlight.

Tis true, it was sharpened on sunlight. DEATH felt rage towards the auditors, and sharpened it while feeling rage, but he sharpened it WITH sunlight.

also, as far as the scary-dude levels, with slender being a 4-5, is there a chart for this? I want in on some details.

chiasaur11
2010-08-30, 09:08 PM
Tis true, it was sharpened on sunlight. DEATH felt rage towards the auditors, and sharpened it while feeling rage, but he sharpened it WITH sunlight.

He did that, but he couldn't get to that scythe, if I remember. He had to make do.

also, as far as the scary-dude levels, with slender being a 4-5, is there a chart for this? I want in on some details.

It's just Golen being in character. Nothing really written up that I know of. It's... a thing.

RandomNPC
2010-08-30, 10:00 PM
It's just Golen being in character. Nothing really written up that I know of. It's... a thing.

Golen! quick, write something detailed up! Even though I'm not your boss and can't tell you what to do! Yar!

golentan
2010-08-30, 10:39 PM
The brief:
Class XII: Static, usually low power fragments of unusual events.
Class XI: Equivalent abilities to class XII, animal intelligence.
Class X: Equivalent abilities to class XI, human or greater intelligence.
Class IX: As any class X or higher, but nonstatic abilities (able to grow).
Class VIII: As class IX or higher, but capable of taking/swapping hosts.
Class VII: As class VIII, but can generate own body out of available materials.
Class VI: As class VII, but capable of distorting reality to a wide degree within a "lair" or "domain."
Class V: As class VI, but no longer limited in dimensions of the lair: 4-7 dimensional shapes common.
Class IV: As class V, but with an exponential growth in power tied to "metabolizing" the material of the universe.
Class III: As class IV, but domain becomes mobile (basically by chewing its way through intervening reality).
Class II: As class III, but domain expands to astronomical ranges and is completely unregulated by the forces that hold sway in outside space.
Class I: Domain extends across the length and breadth of known space. Existential threat to the continued existence of the universe as we know it.

Kris Strife
2010-08-30, 10:58 PM
How to kill the number 3: Have everything switch to a base 2 counting system. :smallamused:

averagejoe
2010-08-30, 10:59 PM
How to kill the number 3: Have everything switch to a base 2 counting system. :smallamused:

Then 11 would be the number 3. You wouldn't have killed it, just changed it.

Kiren
2010-08-30, 11:14 PM
How to kill a number 3: Befriend a number 2.

Remmirath
2010-08-30, 11:26 PM
I'm terrified of people being at the window. I try to have curtains and blinds on all windows I'm near after the sun goes down. I guess I could just be an exception to that rule, though. :smallconfused:

Have you tried just turning the light on and reading a good book that you know very well (so you know there's nothing in there that will scare you)? That's what I usually do, and then afterwards when I'm feeling more calm think about whatever is scaring me and why it can't logically happen. Having some sort of background noise (music, whatever) going so that you don't concentrate on all the little sounds you would otherwise never notice helps, too.

'Course, that falls apart if it could actually happen, but that's not the case here.

Before I go to bed, though, if I'm feeling worried about something I just stay in a room that has other people (who I trust, not people I don't know) in it. For some reason, that always helps.

Also, though this is probably a given, don't go and look at whatever was scaring you again, since it'll probably just do it all over again.

Erts
2010-08-30, 11:31 PM
Could we have examples of each Class?

Admiral Squish
2010-08-31, 01:38 AM
No sleep again tonight...

I can't even be productive, I'm a wreck...

Kiren
2010-08-31, 01:50 AM
No sleep again tonight...

I can't even be productive, I'm a wreck...

Watch some comedy on youtube, it helps alot.

Savannah
2010-08-31, 01:56 AM
Man, not sleeping sucks. (And tiredness probably adds to your anxiety, producing a rather nasty cycle.)

If the whole "it's not real" thing isn't working for you, let me ask you this: What makes you think you're in danger? Tons of people have watched those videos without being stalked. Why should you be the exception?

And some other things: Did you have trouble with scary things and feeling like you were being watched before you saw the videos? What, exactly is it that keeps you up?

What makes you feel safe (in general, not just in relation to Slender Man)? What is it about Slender Man that scares you so much?

What was your normal 'going to sleep' routine prior to watching the videos? How has it changed?

(I know that a couple of those are a bit redundant, but thinking about them might help you understand why you're so scared, which would allow you to do something about it.)

Serpentine
I believe it was Serpentine who said something. She mentioned that there had been studies done and, nearly universally across cultures, men tend to be scared of what's out the window and women tend to be scared of what's beneath them. That is, if I remember correctly.Eywot? Not me, I think. Especially as I'm much more nervous around dark windows, and mirrors, than stuff below me (which I assume is along the lines of a friend of mine who was afraid of deep water, for that sort of reason?).

Admiral Squish
Comedy central is playing, but within 30 seconds of 'surfacing' from the TV I start glancing over my shoulder again. It's nigh-unbearable within 5 minutes.

Kiren
2010-08-31, 02:04 AM
Why did I look up articles about the Slender Man right before I should of went to sleep!

Admiral Squish
2010-08-31, 02:44 AM
Okay, replies in bold.

Man, not sleeping sucks. (And tiredness probably adds to your anxiety, producing a rather nasty cycle.)

If the whole "it's not real" thing isn't working for you, let me ask you this: What makes you think you're in danger? Tons of people have watched those videos without being stalked. Why should you be the exception?

I know, logically, that the slender man doesn't exist. I know that even if he does, it's unlikely he chases me, specifically. I also know that every time I see a glint of light on a dark window or motion in a mirror, I am gripped by cold, primal terror.

And some other things: Did you have trouble with scary things and feeling like you were being watched before you saw the videos? What, exactly is it that keeps you up?

No, I never felt watched before the videos. What exactly keeps me up is my brain replaying the scariest scenes out of marble hornets over and over.

What makes you feel safe (in general, not just in relation to Slender Man)? What is it about Slender Man that scares you so much?

Really, I generally felt safe al the time before slendy. Now, the only thing that feels safe is having somebody around in a room with no open windows/darkened areas. What about the slendy that scares me... Nothing specifically, honestly, he just sorta plucks at every primal nerve ending in my body.

What was your normal 'going to sleep' routine prior to watching the videos? How has it changed?

Normal sleep routine was flo on bed, maybe read a manga or two, and pass hout. Now it's star for an hour, read a manga or two, stare for another hour, read another manga... ad nauseum.

(I know that a couple of those are a bit redundant, but thinking about them might help you understand why you're so scared, which would allow you to do something about it.)

Kiren
2010-08-31, 03:27 AM
Okay, replies in bold.

You know.... the narrator was safe for three years, then the watched the videos. And what did you just do... watch the videos, opened the proverbial pandora's box, so did I, so did all of us.

The best to luck to you.

I hope you have film.

Ha! Sorry couldn't resist, also I am stuck awake too.

IonDragon
2010-08-31, 05:37 AM
When I grow up I'm going to be The Slender Man.

Deth Muncher
2010-08-31, 08:13 AM
Personally, I feel the "Gimme $20" pretty well just shattered any sort of scaritude Slendy has. This is, however, before having watched MH (though last time this thread was around, I recall watching the first few and being unimpressed).

averagejoe
2010-08-31, 01:02 PM
Eywot? Not me, I think. Especially as I'm much more nervous around dark windows, and mirrors, than stuff below me (which I assume is along the lines of a friend of mine who was afraid of deep water, for that sort of reason?).

Hmmm... obviously I've grown to associate you with weird tidbits of academic information. Now I'm really curious, though.

Edit: Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7825193&postcount=24) it is. Man, I was way off. And a little tidbit of me freaking out. :smalltongue:

RandomNPC
2010-08-31, 05:24 PM
yea that defenately wasn't Serpentine.

It's still spooking you? I was a bit jumpy and nervous the first two or three nights, all I did was read the message board he was created in, and looked at all the pictures. Honestly some of the faked radio transcripts and "accounts" of what happened were more creepy than the pictures, and I sleep right by the window.

Of course I'm of the mindset that if something supernatural is coming after me, I'm going toe to toe with it, and my delusions of grandeur will kick in and save me at the last moment.

Savannah
2010-08-31, 06:15 PM
I know, logically, that the slender man doesn't exist. I know that even if he does, it's unlikely he chases me, specifically. I also know that every time I see a glint of light on a dark window or motion in a mirror, I am gripped by cold, primal terror.

What exactly keeps me up is my brain replaying the scariest scenes out of marble hornets over and over.

This sounds remarkably similar to what I used to do (not with Slender Man, since I'd learned my coping strategies by then). You know it's completely illogical, but you can't stop thinking about it.

This is what worked for me: As soon as you start thinking about x, with x being whatever you don't want to think about, stop. Tell yourself, "STOP, do not think about that"*. If visualization works for you, visualize taking that thought and cramming it into a box or something where it can't escape. Deliberately start thinking about something else really interesting instead. As soon as the thoughts of x come back, repeat.

It's really, really hard at first, but you can train your thoughts to not go there anymore. I almost never have to use it anymore, as I'm pretty good at being able to go 'I'm not going to think about that' and then not think about it due to practicing this with a couple of disturbing illogical thought patterns (although I did have to bring it back for Slender Man, I will admit :smalltongue:).

If you aren't already, maybe closing all your windows and curtains when it starts to get dark will prevent you from seeing anything that will make you more scared? Also, maybe try a nightlight? Basically, try to keep yourself from being scared any more than necessary while you're retraining your thought processes.

*re-worded as needed. For the things in the mirror/windows, I'd probably go with "STOP, it's not real" and then force myself to look more closely to prove that it's not real.

Serpentine
2010-09-02, 10:36 AM
Hmmm... obviously I've grown to associate you with weird tidbits of academic information. Now I'm really curious, though.

Edit: Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7825193&postcount=24) it is. Man, I was way off. And a little tidbit of me freaking out. :smalltongue:I can live with that :smallcool: Hrm. I had monsters under my bed, but I also had dinosaurs at the window... What does that say about me?

The Succubus
2010-09-02, 10:42 AM
I can live with that :smallcool: Hrm. I had monsters under my bed, but I also had dinosaurs at the window... What does that say about me?

It says you do not recognise opportunity when you see it. Grab a couple of video cameras, let them fight it out and sell it on pay-per-view.

Pinnacle
2010-09-02, 10:48 AM
For the things in the mirror/windows, I'd probably go with "STOP, it's not real" and then force myself to look more closely to prove that it's not real.

But... what do I do if it is?

The Succubus
2010-09-02, 10:52 AM
Grab a couple of cameras, film yourself getting torn apart by supernatural horrors and have the tapes sent to me. I'll sell them on pay per view and split the profits 60/40 with your next of kin.

banjo1985
2010-09-02, 10:57 AM

Dress yourself up as Mrs Slenderman perhaps? Normal supernaturals will flee in fear, and the Slenderman might even be a little amorous! :smalltongue:

My way of getting other the very creepy slenderman stuff? Relentless humour and mickey-taking, obviously.

Savannah
2010-09-02, 12:31 PM

I....have never had that problem. Usually, if it's "real" it turns out to be something normal, not something supernatural.

If, however, it does turn out to be real, I'd suggest a video camera and a visit to a psychologist. :smalltongue:

Telonius
2010-09-02, 12:45 PM
Then 11 would be the number 3. You wouldn't have killed it, just changed it.

Simple. Just square it, then call in 7. Because we all know what happened with 7.

golentan
2010-09-02, 01:11 PM
Simple. Just square it, then call in 7. Because we all know what happened with 7.

Ooh, that was messy. :smalleek:

We can never get those numbers back. :smallfrown:

Kiren
2010-09-02, 01:15 PM
Is marble hornets the best of the slender man videos or is their a better selection.

Marble Hornets was amazing and pretty scary.

Allan Surgite
2010-09-03, 05:50 PM
There are other Slender Man stories, although it's up to you whether they are "better." The TVTropes page on Slendy has a selection of them (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheSlenderManMythos), and the link to Unfiction from that page contains most of the known ARGs.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-09-03, 08:08 PM
Personally, I feel the "Gimme $20" pretty well just shattered any sort of scaritude Slendy has. This is, however, before having watched MH (though last time this thread was around, I recall watching the first few and being unimpressed).

Strangely, the 'Gimme $20' succeeded only in making me afraid of that song and any horns that sound like it, for just that momentary second of doubting the fakeness of Slender Man...

Is marble hornets the best of the slender man videos or is their a better selection.

Marble Hornets was amazing and pretty scary.

(Aokage's link probably has these. If not, they shouldn't be too hard to find.) Personally, I think most other video projects are lackluster, though the two other well-known ones are EverymanHYBRID and TribeTwelve. HYBRID just isn't to my taste, and TT really feels too much like a MH rip-off to a lot of people. Personally, I think that the best non-Marhble Hornets Slendie-ARG is Seeking Truth, the blog, though it's finished now.

averagejoe
2010-09-03, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I checked out TT, and it lacked the subtlety that MarbleHornets had. Plus, it was really obvious in TT that they aren't professional actors. Maybe they aren't better actors than in MH, but MH seemed to know how to use people to work around such deficiencies. For example, mainly using them to portray real life scenarios, or amateur actors trying to act, and not really putting them into, "Talking about crazy supernatural happenstance," sort of situations, like TT did. Even if it was a ripoff, they did less with the premise than they could have.

Though doing the grandfather telling a slenderman legend was the definite low point, and that episode broke willing suspension of disbelief pretty bad for me.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-03, 08:32 PM
Cross-posted from RB:

"That Slender Man thread got me reading through TVTropes about the mythos again and the various blogs and whatnot.
How odd is it that I'm actually contemplating a blog with serious analysis of the Slender Man and why he became so popular so quickly.
As a bonus, if I ever got bored iust analysing the symbolism, possible 'real life' precendents and whatnot behind an internet meme I could always get a friend with a long blogging history in on the ioke.
Start mentioning how my friend wants to play a ioke on his friend (with a sporadic blog of about sixteen to twenty months) and so he starts using my blog analysis as a base to make his friend (now called Bob) freak out.
The ebst way to do it would be to show Bob marble Hornets about five or six months before starting the prank. Get him to make a post about it - note: he has to be quite sceptical - and dismiss it entirely, but enioy the scares.
Then My Friend would start his kicks. ANd he'd be posting comments on my blog; and I'd be referencing his actions; he himself wouldn't actually mention it on his blog for obvious reasons.
Then Bob would slowly become convinced that The Slender Man was real, and become edgy, paranoid and a little . . . off; before having him finally attack 'The Slender Man' in terror.
My analysis blog would then - say a week after the 'event' - comment on what happened.
"This is what happens when people take internet memes too seriously." or something. Of course, I would then spend the entire post begging people not to do this etc. because effectively stalking someone is a BAD IDEA especially as it lead to having My Friend be seriously iniured and scarred for life.
I would then resume my analysis blog, but very shaikly and irregularly for a couple of months.
Then resume as normal.

Yeah. Never let me near a meme which got out of control and has substance behind it.
Still.
It's a damn cool idea. Plus I believe it goes against typical Slender Man stuff where he actually exists. So Bob's blog would seem to be a typical Slender Man blog, until it gets out of hand.
Deconstructing memes about humanoid eldritch abominations - even in theory - is fun."

Yeah. I'm weird like that. Thought I'd throw it into this thread anyway. If anything else, treating the Slender Man as a piece of literature/media should get rid of the scares.
And it'd be awesome fun. Worth those initial days of sleeplessness splurging on all that exists about him.

Admiral Squish
2010-09-03, 09:21 PM
So, I've heard it recommended that I just find a day when people are home and watch the episodes I still haven't seen, that there would be a sort of 'closure' by the end. I am skeptical.

nihilism
2010-09-03, 09:48 PM
im not sure whether to see these videos or avoid them like the plague

chiasaur11
2010-09-03, 11:36 PM
The 20 bucks thing scares me because it associates the skinny fellow (not terrifying) with the paperboys from Better Off Dead.

Now those kids were scary.

Savannah
2010-09-04, 12:41 AM
So, I've heard it recommended that I just find a day when people are home and watch the episodes I still haven't seen, that there would be a sort of 'closure' by the end. I am skeptical.

Oh, wait, you haven't seen the whole thing? In that case, I'd strongly recommend watching the rest, but skip Entry #####, and only watch the first minute of Entry 26 (stop it between 0:55 and 1:00; I just checked the timing). If you do that, it has a happy ending :smallsmile:

Admiral Squish
2010-09-04, 12:57 AM
entry #####? :smallconfused:

Savannah
2010-09-04, 01:04 AM
Don't ask. It's creepy. (Supposedly, totheark put it on the marble hornets channel.)

Skeppio
2010-09-04, 01:25 AM
You know it's creepy when the title is blanked out. :smalltongue:

max-is-working
2010-09-09, 05:16 AM
I didn't know about the Slender Man until I saw this thread. Now I feel as freaked out as I was after I watched the original Japanese Ju-on (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ju-on:_The_Grudge) (The Grudge).

:smalleek:

Helanna
2010-09-09, 03:16 PM
Soooo, I had an idea.

I was sitting in my Game Design and Development class, but I got really bored. So I checked these forums, checked this thread, and then clicked on the TvTropes link. This obviously led to opening five more TvTropes links about the Slender Man, and then I decided to check out the original SA thread that spawned the entire meme.

So then I was thinking . . . would it be possible to create a good video game about the Slender Man?

My view of it was: It starts as a typical heroic fantasy - no mention of the Slender Man at all. You're supposed to go into the woods and kill a "monster" living there.

Then you're in the woods, and keep seeing flashes at the edge of the screen, although there's never anything there. Basically throughout the game, the player character goes insane. Not sure about how it would end, but obviously . . . not happily.

Not really sure if this would be a good idea at all or not, but worth thinking about.

Kiren
2010-09-09, 04:08 PM
Soooo, I had an idea.

I was sitting in my Game Design and Development class, but I got really bored. So I checked these forums, checked this thread, and then clicked on the TvTropes link. This obviously led to opening five more TvTropes links about the Slender Man, and then I decided to check out the original SA thread that spawned the entire meme.

So then I was thinking . . . would it be possible to create a good video game about the Slender Man?

My view of it was: It starts as a typical heroic fantasy - no mention of the Slender Man at all. You're supposed to go into the woods and kill a "monster" living there.

Then you're in the woods, and keep seeing flashes at the edge of the screen, although there's never anything there. Basically throughout the game, the player character goes insane. Not sure about how it would end, but obviously . . . not happily.

Not really sure if this would be a good idea at all or not, but worth thinking about.

The slender man can possibly take minions. Making a game about him is easier with this aspect.From a story I read of him and marble hornets, the slenderman took control of someone.