PDA

View Full Version : Glassteel

thompur
2010-08-29, 09:37 PM
Hey Playgrounders!

In AD&D 1st edition, there was a spell called Glassteel. I don't remember if it made steel transparent, or if it made glass as strong as steel, but I always liked the concept. As I remember, it was an 8th level spell. Why it was that high, I don't know.

What level do you think either version should be in 3.5? And, if it was available, would you take it, and what would you do with it?

Edit: Oh yes, and I think the spell is permanent.

Wonton
2010-08-29, 09:45 PM
Well, I think the first option can be done with Deceptive Facade (Bard 2, Sor/Wiz 3). *Cue discussion on whether a glamer can make something transparent*

herrhauptmann
2010-08-29, 09:56 PM
There's a material in 'The sunless citadel' which can alloyed with your typical steel weapon to change it's color. The right variety of the material can also make your weapon transparent like glass.
It's pretty cheap too, but it's out of a 3.0 adventure, so your DM might not allow it

edit: Nephelium. Has all the properties of iron, but it is transparent. Impurities give it color, only costs an extra 100 gp more than a regular item. Odd, talks a lot about being scarce, but it's not near as expensive as ANY other special material (inferior materials like bone and bronze don't count)

kyoryu
2010-08-29, 10:15 PM
I'll see if I can find my 1st ed PHB. I've got the DMG handy, but not sure if I know where the PHB is.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-29, 10:22 PM
TROBRIAND’S GLASSEE
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 6

Permanently gives a metal or stone object the transparanecy of glass.

(CoS:Waterdeep pg 157)

El Dorado
2010-08-29, 11:33 PM
Hey Playgrounders!

In AD&D 1st edition, there was a spell called Glassteel. I don't remember if it made steel transparent, or if it made glass as strong as steel, but I always liked the concept. As I remember, it was an 8th level spell. Why it was that high, I don't know.

What level do you think either version should be in 3.5? And, if it was available, would you take it, and what would you do with it?

Edit: Oh yes, and I think the spell is permanent.

In 2nd ed, it transmuted nonmagical glass or crystal into a transparent substance as strong as steel. It affected 10 pounds of material per caster level.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-30, 05:19 AM
3rd edition D&D has 2 versions of glassteel. The 3.0 version is in Races of Faerûn on page 158. For some reason they nerfed it for 3.5 in Champions of Ruin on page 65. The newer version has nearly identical properties to mithral (matching exactly in weight, ASF, MDB, and ACP), so there's hardly any reason for its existence. The older, more expensive version combines the qualities of adamantine and mithral for a unique effect, which is especially useful if you'll be working without magic (in an Antimagic Field, say).

CapnVan
2010-08-30, 07:10 AM
For those looking for the original:

"Glassteel(Alteration)
Level: 8
Range: Touch
Duration: Permanent
Area of Effect: Object touched
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 8 segments
Saving Throw: None

Explanation/Description: The glassteel spell turns crystal or glass into a transparent substance which has the tensile strength and unbreakabilityof actual steel. Only a relatively small volume of material can be affected, a maximum weight of 10 pounds per level of experience of the spell caster, and it must form one whole object. The material components of this spell are a small piece of glass and a small piece of steel."

Douglas
2010-08-30, 07:29 AM
The newer version has nearly identical properties to mithral (matching exactly in weight, ASF, MDB, and ACP), so there's hardly any reason for its existence.
Well, it does have the benefit of not being a metal, allowing it to ignore Ironguard and rust monsters.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-30, 08:17 AM
Well, it does have the benefit of not being a metal, allowing it to ignore Ironguard and rust monsters.
Which is why I wrote "hardly any reason for its existence". The older version, though fabulously more expensive, combined the properties of adamantine (harder, tougher, nonmagical enhancement bonus) and mithral (lighter) for a unique effect.

Tyndmyr
2010-08-30, 09:11 AM
Which is why I wrote "hardly any reason for its existence". The older version, though fabulously more expensive, combined the properties of adamantine (harder, tougher, nonmagical enhancement bonus) and mithral (lighter) for a unique effect.

Cheaper is awesome. Plus, you've got those wierd nature types who can't use metal armor and such. Non-metal is pretty big.

Clear armor? The obvious thing to do is make the fighters armor and weapons transparent. Sell him on the idea by telling him how much easier it will be to always have his equipment with him. As part of the deal, ask him to carry your spare spellbook, since he's so much stronger than you. Make sure it's visible.

You, on the other hand, should find a quite visible way to carry weapons and armor. Illusionary, if you must, but so long as it's visible.

End result: Any intelligent combatants meeting you for the first time are likely to use rather poor tactics.

EvilJames
2010-08-31, 03:54 AM
Transparent does not equal invisible. It's still going to be fairly obvious that the fighter is wearing armor. It's just now that much more important that he wear something under it.:smallwink:

Gavinfoxx
2010-08-31, 04:14 AM
EVERYONE wears clothes and underarmor under their armor! Especially various kinds of 'big plates of solid material' armors (ie, the ones you would generally make out of weird materials like this) that in D&D are represented by Breastplate, Banded Mail, Half Plate, and Full Plate.

CapnVan
2010-08-31, 05:05 PM
EVERYONE wears clothes and underarmor under their armor! Especially various kinds of 'big plates of solid material' armors (ie, the ones you would generally make out of weird materials like this) that in D&D are represented by Breastplate, Banded Mail, Half Plate, and Full Plate.

Not if you want to be invisible (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0025.html)!

2xMachina
2010-09-01, 01:59 AM
Not if you want to be invisible (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0025.html)!

Ah, no wonder the spell lvl is so high.

Cast once to make a non-magical item that makes you invisible. Well worth a lvl 9 spell.

Crasical
2010-09-01, 03:22 AM
Pictured: Glassteel equipment?

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa92/BrazilGameMaster/Soul%20Calibur/SiegfriedArtSC4.jpg