PDA

View Full Version : Never without my weapon ...

Niezck
2010-08-29, 10:02 PM
Is there a weapon enhancement or something similar that will let me summon my weapon from anywhere? (And most importantly - from other planes)

I'm looking for something permanent too, rather than a spell with a duration.

I've tried looking around but I haven't found anything.

holywhippet
2010-08-29, 10:18 PM
Just become a monk - you can use any body part as a weapon so you are never without it.

Ok, seriously the only thing that comes to mind are gloves of storing - you can store/retrieve an item of up to 20 pounds in weight as a free action.

Reynard
2010-08-29, 10:21 PM
Crystal of Return, MIC.

Come's in least, lesser, and greater.

Least: Draw weapon as a free action. (300gp)
Lesser: As least, plus you can call your weapon from 30 feet away as a move action. (1000gp)

Greater: As least and lesser, and the weapon gets the Returning property. only works on actual thrown weapons, though.(4000gp)

The Glyphstone
2010-08-29, 10:27 PM
The closest thing I can think of is Call Weaponry, the Psychic Warrior power.

It's a power with a duration, not a spell with a duration.:smallbiggrin:

Other than that...um....(shudder) Soulknife? It doesn't let you call your weapon from anywhere, but you can make a new one whenever you want...

bobspldbckwrds
2010-08-29, 10:28 PM
sounds like called, although i'm not sure about the planar travel on that.

Niezck
2010-08-29, 10:34 PM
Crystal of Return, MIC.

Come's in least, lesser, and greater.

Least: Draw weapon as a free action. (300gp)
Lesser: As least, plus you can call your weapon from 30 feet away as a move action. (1000gp)

Greater: As least and lesser, and the weapon gets the Returning property. only works on actual thrown weapons, though.(4000gp)

That could work, but I'd want a bit more range.

The closest thing I can think of is Call Weaponry, the Psychic Warrior power.

It's a power with a duration, not a spell with a duration.:smallbiggrin:

Other than that...um....(shudder) Soulknife? It doesn't let you call your weapon from anywhere, but you can make a new one whenever you want...

Hmm, maybe a custom item of Call Weaponry at-will be would in order ...

sounds like called, although i'm not sure about the planar travel on that.

Where's that from then?

EDIT: The Instant Summons spell would work I think. Anybody know a way to get it permanent, without having to re-cast it whenever I use it, or would it simply be a matter of asking the DM?

gomipile
2010-08-29, 10:39 PM
This came up in yesterday's Soulknife discussion:

Use a psychic warrior with the Soulbound Weapon ACF (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a).

It looks like a solid PWarr ACF. It is based on and requires this power: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/callWeaponry.htm

Niezck
2010-08-29, 10:40 PM
I'm looking for a way to always be able to call one specific weapon though. My build isn't psionic at all and it's pretty set. I just don't want to be seperated from my greatsword. Ever.

Crow
2010-08-29, 10:41 PM
Isn't there an armor enhancement that lets you call it from anywhere? Can it be applied to weapons too? Or just armor?

Mongoose87
2010-08-29, 10:43 PM
Be an Unarmed Swordsage.

Niezck
2010-08-29, 10:45 PM
Isn't there an armor enhancement that lets you call it from anywhere? Can it be applied to weapons too? Or just armor?

Just armour or shield. And it's same plane only. Plus, if anybody else has worn said armour or shield, it fails.

I think the Instant Summons thing would be the best idea. I might just go with an item of 1/day Instant Summons and use it on my sword as and when.

ericgrau
2010-08-29, 10:46 PM
Scroll of instant summons, 2275 gp + 1,000 gp sapphire. Eat the gem each day to prevent losing it to a search, or otherwise conceal it. Sapphires are the second hardest natural material after diamond, so it should survive. This trick is one time use though. And requires a way to use a caster level 13 scroll.

A custom magic item of instant summons would be 13*7*1800 / 5 = 32,760 gp for 1/day. But you'd still need a 1,000 gp sapphire each time. Or, if the DM allows, the fair price for unlimited 1/day would be 50 / 5 * 1000 gp = 10,000 gp more, or 42,760 gp total for the item.

The thing is you aren't separated from your sword very many times in an entire campaign so a charged expendable item might be better. 13*7*50 = 4,550 gp per charge, not including the 1,000 gp for the sapphire. Another option would be to dip wizard/sorcerer or UMD to get a staff made for 13*7*750=68,250 gp. You may never use 50 charges on your sword only, but you could start keying it to other gear too. A staff is also a lot easier to use than a scroll, only a 1 level dip or a DC 20 UMD check.

Niezck
2010-08-29, 10:53 PM
Scroll of instant summons, 2275 gp + 1,000 gp sapphire. Eat the gem each day to prevent losing it to a search, or otherwise conceal it. Sapphires are the second hardest natural material after diamond, so it should survive. This trick is one time use though. And requires a way to use a caster level 13 scroll.

A custom magic item of instant summons would be 13*7*1800 / 5 = 32,760 gp for 1/day. But you'd still need a 1,000 gp sapphire each time. Or, if the DM allows, the fair price for unlimited 1/day would be 50 / 5 * 1000 gp = 10,000 gp more, or 42,760 gp total for the item.

I have the epic feat Ignore Material Components, so just 32,760 :smallbiggrin:

And thanks folks for all the suggestions! :smallsmile:

gomipile
2010-08-29, 11:04 PM
I think an interesting approach would be to make the sword an inteligent item familiar which is also a magic item of continual Interplanar Telepathic Bond and Teleport Object. RAW, I think this would add 1.5*6*11*2000+1.5*7*13*2000, or 471,000 gp. Since that is rather excessive, I'd just talk to the DM about having a quest to add these abilities to the item familiar.

Item familiars add a neat roleplaying dimension to a favored weapon, etc, which I think complements your stated character traits nicely.

Crow
2010-08-29, 11:16 PM
Remember, if you eat the gem every day, you'll need to paw through poo everyday too!

Zaq
2010-08-29, 11:19 PM
You might be able to do something fun with Incarnate Weapon, from MoI. I'm pretty sure that it just follows you no matter what.

Niezck
2010-08-29, 11:19 PM
I think an interesting approach would be to make the sword an inteligent item familiar which is also a magic item of continual Interplanar Telepathic Bond and Teleport Object. RAW, I think this would add 1.5*6*11*2000+1.5*7*13*2000, or 471,000 gp. Since that is rather excessive, I'd just talk to the DM about having a quest to add these abilities to the item familiar.

Item familiars add a neat roleplaying dimension to a favored weapon, etc, which I think complements your stated character traits nicely.

To be honest, that price wouldn't be too much of an issue. The character is ECL 30, so has 4.3 million GP to spend. I've managed to spend it all, but still.

I'd rather not have to deal with intelligent items though, it just complicates matters.

The 1/day Instant Summons method I've got now seems to work quite well I think.

tcrudisi
2010-08-29, 11:20 PM
Swordmages get this automatically, able to call their weapon up to 50 feet away. It's called Swordbond.

There's a feat at level 1 that you can take that lets you call it from up to 100 feet away (Improved Swordbond).

At level 11 you can take a feat that lets you call your weapon from up to 1 mile away (Distant Swordbond).