PDA

View Full Version : Balanced price for item of Acid Splash [3.5]

gomipile
2010-08-29, 10:31 PM
The item in question is an unlimited use-activated item of caster level 1 Acid Splash(or Ray of Frost) only usable by good-aligned characters. By the guidelines, I think the base price is 700 gp.

What wold be a fair base price for this item, based on its power relative to other items?

PId6
2010-08-29, 10:50 PM
The "only usable by good-aligned characters" part is a bit cheesy, but it seems fair enough overall. Hand of the Mage is 900 gp (without the "good-aligned" clause), but Mage Hand is arguably a bit better than Acid Splash for most characters. It might be a bit too good if you rule that acid ignores hardness (arguable either way), since that lets you get through any solid barrier with a bit of persistence for a cheap price.

bobspldbckwrds
2010-08-29, 10:55 PM
i want this for a rogue

ericgrau
2010-08-29, 11:00 PM
Rogues can already use-magic-device a wand costing only 375 gp for 50 charges. For most it'll never run out. Ya the proper price for unlimited use is 900 gp and this way does not require use magic device. And ya it's great for touch attack sneak attacks. If anything I would think the default guidelines might be under-priced here because it would let a rogue get touch attacks at early levels before he can afford to pump his use-magic-device modifier. OTOH a 1 level dip into wizard would also work at low levels.

gomipile
2010-08-29, 11:06 PM
the proper price for unlimited use is 900 gp

I thought that was for command word(1/2 of 1800)? Use activated is 1/2 of 2000, I think.

ericgrau
2010-08-29, 11:25 PM
Ya but if it's a point and shoot stick then you'd most likely activate it with a command word like a wand. If you want to activate it differently or are afraid of silence for some reason then it's 1,000 gp. Plus most items that spit out a spell are command word, while use activated is typically used for items with a bit of fluff. Like a skeleton key that casts knock when turned inside a lock would be use activated.

gomipile
2010-08-29, 11:36 PM
Ya but if it's a point and shoot stick then you'd most likely activate it with a command word like a wand. If you want to activate it differently or are afraid of silence for some reason then it's 1,000 gp. Plus most items that spit out a spell are command word, while use activated is typically used for items with a bit of fluff. Like a skeleton key that casts knock when turned inside a lock would be use activated.

Good point. Minor fluff wise, I was planning on having it be a light crossbow with the bow removed and the trigger being the activation switch. Hence why I was thinking in terms of use activated.

Also, the good only bit was more of a "gun security interlock" type thing so it can't be used against the party if disarmed, although by RAW it does reduce the cost.

ericgrau
2010-08-29, 11:39 PM
I see, 1k it is. Simple solution for the security measure is to keep it and leave the cost the same, or maybe even increase the cost. Up to your DM. Magic item creation guidelines are guidelines. They're good mainly for a starting point. How much it is actually worth is supposed to determine the actual cost.

Crasical
2010-08-30, 01:53 AM
Dang. If it wasn't for the low damage and the fact that the heroes would just steal and sell them for profit, I would have a high-magic kingdom where the town guards are equipped with ray-of-frost freeze rays now.