PDA

View Full Version : Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments [3.5 Items]

Temotei
2010-08-30, 12:17 AM
Marvelous Pigments

Each of these pigments (stored in 2 oz. vials) affects a single item, dyeing it the given color. Minor benefits go along with each color. Only one pigment's effect can be active at one time, though a single item could have more than one pigment applied to it. In this case, multiple pigments would mix to dye an item a mix of all the colors used, but the effects would still be chosen from which dyes were applied. Switching pigment effects on an item requires a swift action.

If the item a pigment is being applied to is considered armor and a weapon at the same time (a shield, for example), the applicator must choose which effect to give the item.

Certain mixed pigments will create special effects different from the pigments that made it, giving a more powerful, singular effect. This new effect overlaps all previous effects granted from pigments, stopping their effects completely and disallowing their use. The following are such pigments: Magenta, pink. The price for these pigments is given below in case the character buys the pigment straight up instead of mixing other pigments. By each of these special mixed pigments' names, in parentheses, are the pigments most commonly used to make it.

Red
The red pigment grants fire resistance 2 when applied to any worn item. If applied to a weapon, the weapon deals 1 fire damage on top of its normal damage.

Orange
The orange pigment grants acid resistance 2 when applied to any worn item. If applied to a weapon, the weapon deals 1 acid damage on top of its normal damage.

Yellow
The yellow pigment grants electricity resistance 2 when applied to any worn item. If applied to a weapon, the weapon deals 1 electricity damage on top of its normal damage.

Green
The green pigment, when applied to any worn item, grants a +1 bonus on saves against poison and disease. If applied to a weapon, any poison applied to that weapon gains a +1 bonus to its DC twice per day.

Blue
The blue pigment grants cold resistance 2 when applied to any worn item. If applied to a weapon, the weapon deals 1 cold damage on top of its normal damage.

Indigo
The indigo pigment grants a +1 bonus against mind-affecting spells and effects if applied to a worn item, as well as against stunning effects. If applied to a weapon, the wielder is able to stun with it once per day for 1 round, with a DC 15 Fortitude save to avoid the stunning. Activating the stunning effect is a swift action.

Violet
The violet pigment grants a +1 bonus to all saves once per day for 3 rounds as an immediate action if applied to a worn item. If applied to a weapon, the weapon applies a -1 penalty to all saving throws for 3 rounds as a free action, once per day.

White
The white pigment, when applied to a worn item, grants resistance 2 against all energy types (acid, cold, electricity, fire, sonic). If applied to a weapon, the weapon deals 1 damage of each energy type (acid, cold, electricity, fire, sonic) on top of its normal damage.

Black
The black pigment grants concealment as a free action once per day for 3 rounds when applied to a worn item. If applied to a weapon, the wielder is able to blind with it once per day (the effect is permanent), with a DC 15 Fortitude save to avoid the blindness. Activating the blinding effect is a swift action.

Magenta (Red x3 + Blue x3)
The magenta pigment grants fire and cold resistance 5 when applied to a worn item. If applied to a weapon, the weapon deals 1 fire and cold damage in addition to its normal damage, and one round after it hits, the target takes an additional 1 fire and cold damage.

Pink (Red x5 + White)
The pink pigment grants resistance to all energy types (acid, cold, electricity, fire, sonic) 2. As well, once per day, as an immediate action, the item can be called upon to grant immunity to mind-affecting spells and effects for 1 round. These effects are applied to worn items. If applied to a weapon, the wielder gains the ability to use dominate person with a caster level equal to their class levels once per day. This effect is combined with a single, standard-action attack.

Minor abjuration and evocation; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, color spray; Price 400 gp (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet), 900 gp (black), 4,500 gp (white), 3,000 gp (magenta), 7,500 gp (pink).

Latronis
2010-08-30, 05:59 AM
what about a spiked gauntlet?!?!

Roc Ness
2010-08-30, 06:11 AM
Is this a rewrite of the pigments?

Milskidasith
2010-08-30, 07:34 AM
How long do the pigments last?

Also, autostun on hit is a bit powerful (even if one per day); I think it should probably have a save.

Otherwise, these are pretty nice, although maybe a little bit pricey, but it's a magic item so I dunno.

Debihuman
2010-08-30, 10:56 AM
What happens if you mix the pigments?

Debby

Temotei
2010-08-30, 03:53 PM
what about a spiked gauntlet?!?!

I'll add a sentence. Hold on a second.

Is this a rewrite of the pigments?

Not really. They don't exist in 3.5, do they?

How long do the pigments last?

Also, autostun on hit is a bit powerful (even if one per day); I think it should probably have a save.

Otherwise, these are pretty nice, although maybe a little bit pricey, but it's a magic item so I dunno.

They're like weapon/armor crystals, except they're permanently applied to a single item.

You're right; I meant to give a save on that one. :smallsigh:

What do you think would be a good save DC? I'm never sure with magic items. Just the standard 10 + 1/2 HD + ability (probably Charisma) modifier might work, I guess. Right now, I have it set to 15, which, I think, is one higher than a few other magic items have their DCs set.

What happens if you mix the pigments?

It's at the top:

Each of these pigments (stored in 2 oz. vials) affects a single item, dyeing it the given color. Minor benefits go along with each color. Only one pigment's effect can be active at one time, though a single item could have more than one pigment applied to it.

Volthawk
2010-08-30, 04:02 PM
Not really. They don't exist in 3.5, do they?

Same name, different effects. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#marvelousPigments)

Temotei
2010-08-30, 04:03 PM
Same name, different effects. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#marvelousPigments)

Dude. I've never seen that. :smalleek:

Stupid failed Spot checks. :smallannoyed:

Oh well. It was kind of fun to make these, and they're a nice alternative, I think.

Debihuman
2010-08-30, 05:57 PM
or. Only one pigment's effect can be active at one time, though a single item could have more than one pigment applied to it.

So if you mix colors (blue and yellow) only one applies even if resulting color turns green? That's what I meant. It's not the same as just applying more than one pigment.

Debby

Temotei
2010-08-30, 06:01 PM
So if you mix colors (blue and yellow) only one applies even if resulting color turns green? That's what I meant. It's not the same as just applying more than one pigment.

Debby

Oh. I see. Well, the effects would be the same as blue or yellow, though the actual item may be dyed green...hm.

EDIT: Also, I dropped the price to 400 gp.

Latronis
2010-08-30, 06:06 PM
Mechanically I think 500gp is too expensive for it's effect. Too much investment when it's worthwhile and fairly meaningless later when the cost isn't an issue.

EDIT: NINJA FIX

Cieyrin
2010-08-31, 02:40 PM
What kind of action is it to activate Indigo's and Violet's effects? Violet's armor effect would seem to work as maybe an immediate, though i could see it as a free as well. Violet's weapon effect isn't clear, as what does doing 1 damage to each save actually mean? Is it -1 to all saves? Indigo's weapon effect would probably be a swift action activation, similar to the various Surge weapon abilities.

Temotei
2010-08-31, 02:44 PM
What kind of action is it to activate Indigo's and Violet's effects? Violet's armor effect would seem to work as maybe an immediate, though i could see it as a free as well. Violet's weapon effect isn't clear, as what does doing 1 damage to each save actually mean? Is it -1 to all saves? Indigo's weapon effect would probably be a swift action activation, similar to the various Surge weapon abilities.

Added actions for indigo and violet pigments, as well as an action to change the pigments affecting a single item.

Note: I was probably asleep while writing violet. Seriously.

Cieyrin
2010-08-31, 07:33 PM
Added actions for indigo and violet pigments, as well as an action to change the pigments affecting a single item.

Note: I was probably asleep while writing violet. Seriously.

Still a little asleep at the wheel, then, since you left off the action type for the worn item version of Violet. :smalltongue:

Temotei
2010-08-31, 07:50 PM
Still a little asleep at the wheel, then, since you left off the action type for the worn item version of Violet. :smalltongue:

Gah!... :smallsigh:

It's fixed. :smallamused:

Morph Bark
2010-09-01, 05:59 AM
Will there be pigments for colours other than the standard double rainbow ones?

Temotei
2010-09-01, 10:54 AM
Will there be pigments for colours other than the standard double rainbow ones?

Perhaps. Is that a request? :smallamused:

Latronis
2010-09-01, 11:16 AM
Magenta

Do it nao!

DrWeird
2010-09-01, 11:21 AM
Pink - Successful attack stuns the target - WITH LOVE!

Temotei
2010-09-01, 11:27 AM
Magenta

Do it nao!

Ooh. Pretty. :smallbiggrin:

Pink - Successful attack stuns the target - WITH LOVE!

I'll make white and black, then. Mix red and white.

Latronis
2010-09-01, 11:59 AM
well since magenta's between red and purple a kind of red and violet mix could be (applied to a weapon(who cares about worn that's boring)) Save or catch fiya!

Temotei
2010-09-01, 12:08 PM
Online, it says magenta's RGB code is (255, 0, 255), which would suggest that red and blue mixed would make it. However, wouldn't that just be violet/purple?

Dang colors. :smallsigh:

DrWeird
2010-09-01, 12:42 PM
Violet and Purple either have more red or more blue in them in the digital paint scheme. Magenta is a truly balanced mongrel secondary color.

Morph Bark
2010-09-01, 05:42 PM
Perhaps. Is that a request? :smallamused:

Oh no, it's just business. Supply and demand. :smallamused:

Yes, that is a request. :smallbiggrin:

Temotei
2010-09-01, 07:10 PM
Alright, then. White, black, magenta, and pink are up, along with special rules for magenta and pink.

Any other requests? Any questions? Complaints? Price issues?

Eurus
2010-09-01, 07:24 PM
I demand that red pigment increase the speed of any vehicle to which it is applied. :smallamused: