PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Pagebound Soul (PEACH)

Drakevarg
2010-08-30, 02:03 AM
I've posted this in the past (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154003), but it receantly occured to me while perusing some of my notes that I never actually had an important question I had about it answered. Namely, what would it's LA be? (A better suggestion for its CR would be nice, too.) Other musings about it are perfectly welcome as well, of course.

-----

PAGEBOUND SOUL (http://tootiredtomakename.deviantart.com/art/Eternal-Seer-Pagebound-Soul-165672482)
Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 8d10 +20 (65 HP)
Speed: 30 ft.
Init: --
AC: 20 (+10 Natural)
T: 10
FF: 20
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Grapple Modifier: +13
Attack: Slam +13 (1d6 +10)
Space: 5 ft.
Reach: 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Animate Book, Spell-Like Abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Low-Light Vision, Vulnerability to Fire, Spell Resistance 26, Construct Traits
Fort: +2
Ref: +2
Will: +4
STR: 24 (+7)
DEX: 10 (--)
CON: -- (--)
INT: 1 (-5)
WIS: 14 (+2)
CHA: 14 (+2)
Skills: Listen +9, Spot +10
Feats: Alertness, Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration
Environment: Any
Organization: Usually Solitary
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: N/A
Level Adjustment: --

The being before you at first resembles a mummy. A gaunt humanoid completely covered in parchment, a closer look reveals that its form is made entirely out of pages, covered in an incomprehensible scrawl. Two black pits where its eyes should be focus on you, and a hoarse voice commands you sternly; "GET. OUT."

Pagebound Souls are the remnant will of mad wizards obsessed with knowledge. When their power finally consumed them, what little was left could not be bear to be parted with its precious tomes. Pagebound Souls can usually be found wandering forgotten libraries, striking out at anyone who would dare enter their domain. While Pagebound Souls still retain some of their arcane potential, the faded memory of their own corruption limits them to spells well below their true potential. Pagebound Souls speak whatever languages they spoke in life, but their mindless state limits them to little more than demands that the intruder leave.

Animate Book (Sp): At will, a Pagebound Soul can animate any book, as if with the animate object spell, within 100 ft. of itself as a free action. These books are controlled by the Pagebound Soul's own willpower, and it cannot animate more than eight books at any given time. If the Pagebound Soul is destroyed, any books it animated return to their mundane state instantly.
Spell-Like Abilities: 8/Day -- Daze (Will DC 13, 1 Round), Detect Magic, Flare (Fort DC 13, 1 Min), Light (80 Min), Ghost Sound (Will DC 13, 8 Rounds), Resistance (1 Min); 6/Day -- Mage Armor (8 Hours), Magic Missle (3 Missiles, 1d4 +1), Shocking Grasp (5d6), Cause Fear (Will DC 14, 1d4 Rounds), Color Spray (Will DC 14), Sleep (Will DC 14, 8 Min); 6/Day -- Touch of Idiocy (80 Min), Blindness/Deafness (Fort DC 15), Scare (Will DC 15, 8 Rounds)

PAGEBOUND SOUL, GREATER, 5th Level Wizard
Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 8d10 +20 +5d4 (75 HP)
Speed: 30 ft.
Init: --
AC: 20 (+10 Natural)
T: 10
FF: 20
Base Attack Bonus: +8
Grapple Modifier: +15
Attack: Slam +15 (1d6 +10)
Space: 5 ft.
Reach: 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Animate Book, Spell-Like Abilities, Spells
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Low-Light Vision, Vulnerability to Fire, Spell Resistance 26, Construct Traits
Fort: +3
Ref: +3
Will: +8
STR: 24 (+7)
DEX: 10 (--)
CON: -- (--)
INT: 20 (+5)
WIS: 14 (+2)
CHA: 14 (+2)
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) +24, Knowledge (History) +24, Knowledge (The Planes) +24, Listen +18, Spot +18, Search +21, Decipher Script +21
Feats: Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, Skill Focus (Knowledge (Arcana)), Skill Focus (Knowledge (History)), Scribe Scroll, Skill Focus (Knowledge (The Planes))
Environment: Any
Organization: Usually Solitary
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually True Neutral
Advancement: By Class Level
Level Adjustment: ??

The being before you at first resembles a mummy. A gaunt humanoid completely covered in parchment, a closer look reveals that its form is made entirely out of pages, covered in an incomprehensible scrawl. It is garbed in ancient robes of an ornate style, hinting at former status. A crackle of electricity sparks from its empty eye sockets as they focus on you. "You are not welcome here." It utters in a commanding voice.

Pagebound Souls are the remnant will of mad wizards obsessed with knowledge. When their power finally consumed them, what little was left could not be bear to be parted with its precious tomes. Pagebound Souls can usually be found wandering forgotten libraries.

As Pagebound Souls age, their incessant thirst for knowledge allows some of them to regain their former intellect. Their souls long gone, what was left of their will forms a new one out of raw arcane power, only their desire to learn remaining of their old selves. No longer driven by an instinctual urge to protect their libraries, they still scorn visitors, but are always open to trading knowledge for knowledge. No longer held back by their instinctual delusion that they are still as succeptable to the Rifts as mortals, they have no reservations against using more powerful magics.

Greater Pagebound Souls often speak a wide variety of languages.

Animate Book (Sp): At will, a Greater Pagebound Soul can animate any book within 100 ft. of itself as a free action. These books are controlled by the Greater Pagebound Soul's own willpower, and it cannot animate more than thirteen books at any given time. If the Pagebound Soul is destroyed, any books it animated return to their mundane state instantly.
Spell-Like Abilities: 8/Day -- Daze (Will DC 15, 1 Round), Detect Magic, Flare (Fort DC 15, 1 Min), Light (130 Min), Ghost Sound (Will DC 15, 13 Rounds), Resistance (1 Min); 6/Day -- Mage Armor (13 Hours), Magic Missle (5 Missiles, 1d4 +1), Shocking Grasp (5d6), Cause Fear (Will DC 16, 1d4 Rounds), Color Spray (Will DC 16), Sleep (Will DC 16, 13 Min); 6/Day -- Touch of Idiocy (130 Min), Blindness/Deafness (Fort DC 17), Scare (Will DC 17, 13 Rounds)
Typical Wizard Spells Prepared (4/3/2/1; Save DC 15 + Spell Level): 0 -- Read Magic (2), Arcane Mark (2); 1st -- Identify, Nystul's Magic Aura, Erase; 2nd -- Detect Thoughts, See Invisibility; 3rd -- Explosive Runes

PAGEBOUND SOUL (TEMPLATE)
Type: A Pagebound Soul's type changes to Construct.
Hit Dice: All current HD change to d8s.

Template Features
Animate Book (Sp): At will, a Pagebound Soul can animate any book within 100 ft. of itself as a free action. These books are controlled by the Pagebound Soul's own willpower, and it cannot animate more than a number of books equal to its HD at any given time. If the Pagebound Soul is destroyed, any books it animated return to their mundane state instantly.
Arcane Strength: A Pagebound Soul gains a Racial Strength Bonus of +14.
Arcane Cunning: A Pagebound Soul gains a Racial Intelligence Bonus, a Racial Wisdom Bonus and a Racial Charisma Bonus of +4.
Darkvision: A Pagebound Soul gains darkvision out to 60 ft.
Low-Light Vision: A Pagebound Soul has Low-Light Vision.
Slam: A Pagebound Soul gains a slam attack that deals 1d6 damage. This attack is treated as a two-handed weapon for the purposes of Strength Modifiers to damage.
Spellbound Skin: A Pagebound Soul gains a +10 NAB and Spell Resistance equal to (10 + 2xHD).
Spellblooded: All arcane spells of 2nd level or lower that the Pagebound Soul knew before having this template applied become Spell-Like Abilities, and can be used a number of times per day equal to the Pagebound Soul's spells per day of that spell level.
Vulnerability to Fire: A Pagebound Soul takes 50% more damage from fire.
Level Adjustment: ??

DracoDei
2010-08-30, 11:03 AM
A link to where you posted it before would help us avoid repeating things that have been said before.

Things with INT 1 aren't suitable for player characters, therefore the LA stays "--".

I assume that the books use the stats from Animated Object and it is otherwise similar to the Animate Objects spell? If so, you should say so explicitly.

Also, this looks like a template, if so I would list the template itself, which might be easier/more useful to extract the CR and LA adjustments from then to give CR and LA for the example creatures.

Drakevarg
2010-08-30, 12:18 PM
A link to where you posted it before would help us avoid repeating things that have been said before.

Right. I'll go looking for that.

EDIT: Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154003)

Things with INT 1 aren't suitable for player characters, therefore the LA stays "--".

For the lesser Pagebound, sure. The Greater Pagebound has INT 20.

I assume that the books use the stats from Animated Object and it is otherwise similar to the Animate Objects spell? If so, you should say so explicitly.

Fixed.

Also, this looks like a template, if so I would list the template itself, which might be easier/more useful to extract the CR and LA adjustments from then to give CR and LA for the example creatures.

It's not a template. It's a monster with class levels. Should I turn it into a template? Might be more appropriate, fluffwise.

DracoDei
2010-08-30, 12:25 PM
It's not a template. It's a monster with class levels. Should I turn it into a template? Might be more appropriate, fluffwise.
Yes. That would be much more appropriate.

Drakevarg
2010-08-30, 12:49 PM
Well, I don't make templates very often, so I have no idea if I'm doin' it wrong, but there ya go.

DracoDei
2010-08-30, 07:33 PM
Well, the template for the Greater version would be more to the point, and don't forget the requirements... remember that the average spell-book user by definition has a higher INT score than the average person on the street, so intellegence stat adjustment should be LESS than the +10 that your example wizard has... probably MUCH less.

Drakevarg
2010-08-30, 08:18 PM
Well, the basis of the original Pagebound Soul was it used to be an 8th level Wizard, so... using my own houserules, the most likely INT for a Wizard of that level is 16. +4 Bonus then.