PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]ToB Schools as Fairie Clans - Opinions needed

LansXero
2010-08-30, 10:00 AM
Hello.

I started a campaign around a month ago. They are mostly new players (6 total) with an "experienced" player who thinks rogues are the most overpowered class ever (especially when combined with the deadly powerhouse that is fighter). Anyways, since they wanted to just stick to core books they went with very base classes: 2 rogues, 1 barbarian, 1 cleric, 1 druid. They are far from optimizing and even struggle to not wipe on CR-apropriate encounters, so I was thinking of letting them grab maneuvers from 1 discipline each, as an story reward for finishing the first adventure. They can choose which one they think fits their character the best, and no two players may choose the same.

The problem is that their current adventure's reward is to be handed out by an ancient fairie dragon and a host of pixies... so... the usual fluff for the disciplines doesnt really work. Could you guys help me come out with some fey-related fluff for each discipline? Shadow Hand is sort of simple, because hiding and striking suddenly is somewhat relatable to fairies of the deep woods and some of the fairies from MTG... but Im at a loss at some others like Iron Heart or Diamond Mind for example...

Esser-Z
2010-08-30, 10:02 AM
For Iron Heart, the fairie grants some sort of courage-based thing. Fits the discipline that brought you Iron Heart Surge and the sort of reward a magical thing would give. Diamond Mind, it grants solidity of thought or somesuch thing.

Kylarra
2010-08-30, 10:03 AM
"Through the magic of the ancient faeries we empower you with the techniques of warriors long past"

or

"here is a magical spring which contains the blood of a thousand powerful warriors, bathe in it while we chant our magics and receive a portion of their knowledge"

The Glyphstone
2010-08-30, 10:04 AM
Diamond Mind and Iron Heart can both be simply 'inner strength' - Diamond Mind is strength of will and cunning, Iron Heart is courage and supernatural perseverance.

Tiger Claw is just berserk ferocity, the unleashed fury of the wilds.

Stone Dragon channels the immovability of the earth itself, taking a bit of natural power into yourself and releasing it to become an unstoppable force or immovable object.

Desert Wind is fire. Fire solves any problem.

Devoted Spirit is life - pure life, the exuberant vitality and energy of the fey flowing through them...it can be helpful and healing, or overwhelm and 'burn out' another's life force in a potent surge.

White Raven is the power of community - fey can be invidual tricksters, but if you upset them all at once, you're in for a serious hurting. This gives a taste of the power the unified fey can bring to bear.

Esser-Z
2010-08-30, 10:04 AM
I'd say a combination of what Kylarra and Glyphstone and I are saying would be optimal. "Take this gift of [quality] and learn the might of warriors of old".

LansXero
2010-08-30, 10:05 AM
For Iron Heart, the fairie grants some sort of courage-based thing. Fits the discipline that brought you Iron Heart Surge and the sort of reward a magical thing would give. Diamond Mind, it grants solidity of thought or somesuch thing.

Wouldnt courage be more of a White Raven thing though? Also I was thinking each discipline would be "granted" by a different group of fairies; fiery winged and red haired for Desert Wind; Silver wings for White Raven; Deep dark purple for shadow hand, etc. Any other colors that may fit each discipline? (or features, etc.) Thanks for any help! :)

Fax Celestis
2010-08-30, 10:05 AM
The faeries call up primal animal spirits who then follow the party as totem animals. They provide a singular benefit: access to a single maneuver. Lion, for instance, could provide Charging Minotaur, while Hare could provide Sudden Leap. Dragon or Phoenix could be most of Desert Wind. I'm sure you see where this is going.

Esser-Z
2010-08-30, 10:08 AM
Wouldnt courage be more of a White Raven thing though? Also I was thinking each discipline would be "granted" by a different group of fairies; fiery winged and red haired for Desert Wind; Silver wings for White Raven; Deep dark purple for shadow hand, etc. Any other colors that may fit each discipline? (or features, etc.) Thanks for any help! :)

Iron Heart Surge is basically the definition of courage, at least in the super robot sense. I admit the rest of the discipline may not fit as well. White Raven is more teamwork, really.

Tiger Claw is the ferocity of nature. Setting Sun is the art of balance. Stone Dragon is the unstoppable might of the earth. Devoted Spirit is purity of soul, or something along those lines.

Kylarra
2010-08-30, 10:08 AM
The faeries call up primal animal spirits who then follow the party as totem animals. They provide a singular benefit: access to a single maneuver. Lion, for instance, could provide Charging Minotaur, while Hare could provide Sudden Leap. Dragon or Phoenix could be most of Desert Wind. I'm sure you see where this is going.If I ever have to GM 3.5 again, I'm totally stealing this. :smallbiggrin:

Esser-Z
2010-08-30, 10:09 AM
I, too, like Fax' idea!

LansXero
2010-08-30, 10:13 AM
The faeries call up primal animal spirits who then follow the party as totem animals.

Thats a very interesting concept; however, it would be a tad limiting to restrict them to a single maneuver, but the animalistic concept seems great. Phoenix for Desert Wind is indeed a clear fit, and well, Tigers for Tiger Claw XD. Which other animals or colors or features would you say represent each discipline?

Thanks for the answers so far, you've given me a lot to work with :D

Esser-Z
2010-08-30, 10:17 AM
I find the Playground is very good at that!

Ormagoden
2010-08-30, 10:18 AM
The faeries call up primal animal spirits who then follow the party as totem animals. They provide a singular benefit: access to a single maneuver. Lion, for instance, could provide Charging Minotaur, while Hare could provide Sudden Leap. Dragon or Phoenix could be most of Desert Wind. I'm sure you see where this is going.

I think I have an idea (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nCBp19lzt0)...

Zaydos
2010-08-30, 10:20 AM
Desert Wind: Phoenix
Tiger's Claw: Tiger
Stone Dragon: Bear
Iron Heart: Lion
White Raven: Wolf
Shadow Hand: Spider or Snake (maybe Crow)
Setting Sun: ?
Diamond Mind: Owl
Devoted Spirit: I'd say Lion again... umm... Unicorn? Eagle? Griffon (King of Land and Air)?

Or the rakshasa type on page 151 of ToB has four alternate forms for Stone Dragon (Serpent), Desert Wind (Hell Hound), Shadow Blade (Eel), and Setting Sun (Displacer Beast).

DragoonWraith
2010-08-30, 10:22 AM
Setting Sun could be Ape.

LansXero
2010-08-30, 12:18 PM
Ok, let's see what you guys think of this, paraphrasing the original descriptions of the schools from the Tome and trying to fit your ideas.
I realize it may be a bit too much narrative exposition, but Id really like them to pick schools based on flavor and not mechanics.

The Scene

The fairies of the forest have been friends with the people of the nearby towns for centuries, until that got them betrayed and their sacred grove burnt to a ruin. The forest was dying until the party of adventurers restored the life-source of the forest and some of the trust the fairies had in common people. Realizing, however, that they aren't strong or malicious enough on their own to keep other threats at bay and not wanting them to become jaded and vigilant, the dying fairie dragon seeks to empower the party as vigilants and protectors of them.
With the near-death of the forest, the spirits of ancient warriors who once were friends to the forest and came to rest among them in their final days are being lost to the afterlife. The dragon asks them to remain and linger on just for a few precious moments more, to pass on the power they acquired from their days amongst the wild beasts to these new friends of the fey.
These old allies came to the sacred grove from different areas surrounding the main forest, each of them befriending a different clan of fairies. They are clearly defined by their different colored wings and the complexion of their skins, as they flutter around the dying form of their elderly guardian. Clan by clan they descend in front of the adventurers, and explain their path. After its all been done, they form a circle around the party, asking one of them to step into the clan of their choosing to be embraced and follow that path.

The schools

THE NINE DISCIPLINES

The spirits of the sandy coasts at the forest's south fly towards the adventurers, their wings a fiery red and their skin a silky sandy tone. Their path is one of speed and swiftness, embracing the spirit of the Phoenix, facing his enemies with suffocating heat and merciless flame, striking fast and dissapearing like a glamer.

Next, the original clan at the forest's heart comes flying down. Their wings a bright green color, and their skin a darker wooden shade, they used to embrace life's force as a restoring, nurturing power. After the tragedies they have witnessed, they acknowledge their path's potential to burn out the life in others they deem unworthy of its gifts. They stand like proud eagles, motherly to the eggs in its nest, but barring its claws to anyone trying to hurt them.

Unmoved by the turmoil their younger brethren are feeling, the fairie elders come next. Grayed wings and robes speak of their age. Their path is one of discipline and mental strength, of inmovable will rooted firmly in conviction, of mental strength and willpower. They resemble owls, observing patiently the course of events, aloof and distant, but ready for action.

After them come the warriors, clad in shining steel breastplates that match and rival the shine of their wings. Faced from a young age with the perils of the outside world, they lack the natural care-free attitude of the other fairies, seeking instead to surpass the limits of their frail nature through training of the body and physical rigours. Theirs is the path of courage and martial prowess, turning their weapons into almost living things. They are like lions, majestic and proud of their strength.

Quite different from the seasoned warriors are those still in the training. Brightly colored orange wings remind the party of a sunset as they come down to the ground. Much like apes and monkeys, they twirl between the branches, playfully descending towards the adventurers. Theyr lightheartedness is deceitful, however, for their path thrives on letting the enemy hurt himself, through turning weakness into strength and folly into wisdom.

Almost the opposite, a grave mourning choir descends next. Raven feathers adorn their headdresses, and their deep dark purple wings and hair meld almost perfectly with the shadows of the colossal tree just restored. Secretive and sneaky, they fly silently, for their path teaches that he who strikes the hardest and the fastest doesnt nees to strike twice. Masters of quick ambushes and sudden assaults, they weave in and out of the shadows at will.

Unmoved by this display of supernatural concealment, a brown-winged tan-skinned clan of fairies come after them. Chips of bear claw addorn their necklaces and small pieces of fur cover them, for this mighty beast best embodies their path of unending endurance. Calling on the spirit of the earth itself, they become unmoving defenders of those they befriend, unwilling to give even an inch in retreat.

Wild and feral, the cat-eyed fairies that descent next do so in a flurry of wild wingbeats. Their stripped wings and tattoed skin make them akin (or so they think) to the feline predators in the hotter, jungle-like parts of the forest. Their path seeks to unleash the hidden savagery and animal regent inside every child of nature, which makes them impredictable in battle.

Last of them all come the ruling conclave of the fae. Regal in their shimmering white gowns and polished armor, they embody the community spirit of the fairies; their union gives them strength, and their path is that of teamwork, of leadership amongst peers, of inspiring others to new heights of greatness. They resemble a pack of wolves around the newly-elected Queen, who now adresses the party: Choose wisely.

Morph Bark
2010-08-30, 12:26 PM
Ok, let's see what you guys think of this, paraphrasing the original descriptions of the schools from the Tome and trying to fit your ideas.
I realize it may be a bit too much narrative exposition, but Id really like them to pick schools based on flavor and not mechanics.

The Scene

The fairies of the forest have been friends with the people of the nearby towns for centuries, until that got them betrayed and their sacred grove burnt to a ruin. The forest was dying until the party of adventurers restored the life-source of the forest and some of the trust the fairies had in common people. Realizing, however, that they aren't strong or malicious enough on their own to keep other threats at bay and not wanting them to become jaded and vigilant, the dying fairie dragon seeks to empower the party as vigilants and protectors of them.
With the near-death of the forest, the spirits of ancient warriors who once were friends to the forest and came to rest among them in their final days are being lost to the afterlife. The dragon asks them to remain and linger on just for a few precious moments more, to pass on the power they acquired from their days amongst the wild beasts to these new friends of the fey.
These old allies came to the sacred grove from different areas surrounding the main forest, each of them befriending a different clan of fairies. They are clearly defined by their different colored wings and the complexion of their skins, as they flutter around the dying form of their elderly guardian. Clan by clan they descend in front of the adventurers, and explain their path. After its all been done, they form a circle around the party, asking one of them to step into the clan of their choosing to be embraced and follow that path.

The schools

THE NINE DISCIPLINES

The spirits of the sandy coasts at the forest's south fly towards the adventurers, their wings a fiery red and their skin a silky sandy tone. Their path is one of speed and swiftness, embracing the spirit of the Phoenix, facing his enemies with suffocating heat and merciless flame, striking fast and dissapearing like a glamer.

Next, the original clan at the forest's heart comes flying down. Their wings a bright green color, and their skin a darker wooden shade, they used to embrace life's force as a restoring, nurturing power. After the tragedies they have witnessed, they acknowledge their path's potential to burn out the life in others they deem unworthy of its gifts. They stand like proud eagles, motherly to the eggs in its nest, but barring its claws to anyone trying to hurt them.

Unmoved by the turmoil their younger brethren are feeling, the fairie elders come next. Grayed wings and robes speak of their age. Their path is one of discipline and mental strength, of inmovable will rooted firmly in conviction, of mental strength and willpower. They resemble owls, observing patiently the course of events, aloof and distant, but ready for action.

After them come the warriors, clad in shining steel breastplates that match and rival the shine of their wings. Faced from a young age with the perils of the outside world, they lack the natural care-free attitude of the other fairies, seeking instead to surpass the limits of their frail nature through training of the body and physical rigours. Theirs is the path of courage and martial prowess, turning their weapons into almost living things. They are like lions, majestic and proud of their strength.

Quite different from the seasoned warriors are those still in the training. Brightly colored orange wings remind the party of a sunset as they come down to the ground. Much like apes and monkeys, they twirl between the branches, playfully descending towards the adventurers. Theyr lightheartedness is deceitful, however, for their path thrives on letting the enemy hurt himself, through turning weakness into strength and folly into wisdom.

Almost the opposite, a grave mourning choir descends next. Raven feathers adorn their headdresses, and their deep dark purple wings and hair meld almost perfectly with the shadows of the colossal tree just restored. Secretive and sneaky, they fly silently, for their path teaches that he who strikes the hardest and the fastest doesnt nees to strike twice. Masters of quick ambushes and sudden assaults, they weave in and out of the shadows at will.

Unmoved by this display of supernatural concealment, a brown-winged tan-skinned clan of fairies come after them. Chips of bear claw addorn their necklaces and small pieces of fur cover them, for this mighty beast best embodies their path of unending endurance. Calling on the spirit of the earth itself, they become unmoving defenders of those they befriend, unwilling to give even an inch in retreat.

Wild and feral, the cat-eyed fairies that descent next do so in a flurry of wild wingbeats. Their stripped wings and tattoed skin make them akin (or so they think) to the feline predators in the hotter, jungle-like parts of the forest. Their path seeks to unleash the hidden savagery and animal regent inside every child of nature, which makes them impredictable in battle.

Last of them all come the ruling conclave of the fae. Regal in their shimmering white gowns and polished armor, they embody the community spirit of the fairies; their union gives them strength, and their path is that of teamwork, of leadership amongst peers, of inspiring others to new heights of greatness. They resemble a pack of wolves around the newly-elected Queen, who now adresses the party: Choose wisely.

I quite like that! It's much more than what I would have done, with the way you made a clan for every discipline. The way you've set it up makes me think that, if you didn't consider so already, to have some of the fey clans work against one another with pranks and occassionally one of the houses tries to pull in one of the PCs or the whole party to help pull off some grand prank, or fight off a clan that got too hostile over a prank that ran out of hand?

LansXero
2010-08-30, 02:04 PM
Thank you, yes that seems like a good idea; if the party isnt too eager to leave the area, Ill make sure to develop the personalities of each group a bit more.

LansXero
2010-08-30, 07:02 PM
Well, Im off for the night, Id love it if someone else could share an opinion :)

Draz74
2010-08-30, 07:11 PM
I think what you have going looks great!

LansXero
2010-08-31, 12:58 PM
I think what you have going looks great!

I hope the players like it, thanks!